Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Continua by Audiodamage (iOS)

Comments

• @skiphunt said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:

@skiphunt said:
    Ugh 😩 I was looking forward to picking this up tonight. Sounds like there’s a lot of issues and disappointment?

Anyone with an iPad Pro 10.5 or better... running 13.3 and having no problems with Continua? And loving it?

I can take the rare crackle, but it sounds like some are having a lot of functionality issues. Can’t tell if that’s due more to older hardware and older iOS versions.

Its fine on 13.3. Im on 2017 10.5 pro and had no issues and i dug pretty deep while designing presets. The effects are really good especially the reverb

That’s good enough for me. Thanks 😊

Working great for me on 13.3 2017 10..5 pro as well. Single instance in AUM shows about 4% on cpu and goes up to about 15% playing RSL’s Injection Pad preset. Nice set of presets @RedSkyLullaby 😎

• @MonzoPro said:

@cuscolima said:
    I am always surprised that after years of iOS apps delivery, people are still complaining that a new app doesn't work perfectly.

You call it complaining, I call it useful information. Knowing that an app isn't going to work as I expect it to saves me from disappointment - and as someone with an older device, performance of newer apps can sometimes be an issue.

Unjustified dev bashing is obviously a bad thing, but constructive feedback that covers the pros and cons is helpful to all of us. Otherwise we'd all buy a new app totally unaware of any issues, and the dev instead would be hit by bad store reviews and refunds. Better to iron them out on here and get feedback from trusted members.

absolutely, definitely and indeed “totally dude” :)

• edited January 2020

@zeropoint said:

@craftycurate said:
    Continua patch Browser tips, to help circumvent some of its frustrations in its current implementation:

1. If you do not add a folder name, patches are saved in the root folder. This is quite unexpected (why not default to the User folder??) but it’s how it works at the time of writing. You will need to add the folder name EVERY TIME you save a patch. Gaaah!

2. To Save current patch to same name (i.e. Save not Save As) e.g. when you’re working on a patch and want to save regularly, an easy way is:

• Create the file name (including folder - see point #1) in some note taking app
    • Copy to clipboard.
    • Click Save in file browse
    • Delete “Default” (it will always be Default when you click Save)
    • Paste in your file name, and then hit Save

So your file name string might be e.g.

User/PAD Bladerunner

This way you don’t have to remember what you called the patch or where you saved it, or type it all in every time. It’s faster and less error prone.

1. You can scroll the browser patch list by swiping on it, but be aware that this will select the patch where your finger touches the screen to begin swiping. I hope this will be fixed in an update.

2. The only way to move a patch is to load it, and save it to the new location using steps 1 & 2 above.

3. Be really careful if you are editing a patch and go to save it. If you accidentally click on a patch name in the browser (very easy to do by mistake as the scroll bar is so thin) you will instantly load that patch and lose all your work without recall. Best to save it right away.

Admit it’s a poor/confusing implementation. But you don’t need all the above. To save the same patch to the same location, select the current patch name in the browser first, then press Save. Now you can save to the original location without specifying folders and sub folders . To save a copy just rename in the dialog.

I'll give that a go but just hope you don't click on the wrong patch name and overwrite another patch! I think my method is less error prone maybe. Once the name is on the clipboard it's a simpler process to repeat.

But hey, whatever works for you. Who would have thought we'd have to jump through hoops to perform such bread and butter activities?

• edited January 2020

As far as I love the sound I hate the UI for presets, this way I have not really desire to use the Synth :-( I hope they will change it just a little to be useful, I think it should be not so difficult.

I could have gone for a refund, anyway I will keepp it hoping in a fix.

• edited January 2020

(duplicate post)

• edited January 2020

@skiphunt said:
    Anyone with an iPad Pro 10.5 or better... running 13.3 and having no problems with Continua? And loving it?

I can take the rare crackle, but it sounds like some are having a lot of functionality issues. Can’t tell if that’s due more to older hardware and older iOS versions.

I'm using an iPad Pro 2017 and I am mostly loving it. The preset browser is awful and it really needs a mod matrix to get a full picture of what's going on, but overall its a great experience and I love the sound.

It is CPU hungry though. Playing notes causes CPU usage in AUM to jump 15-20% immediately, with AUM buffer size of 1024 which is what I use as I've learned to live with a higher latency for the sake of increased processing capacity. I'm not surprised the dev has limited polyphony to 6 notes.

But the sound is excellent. Some are reporting odd artefacts but I haven't noticed this likely because the kind of sounds Continua excels in are kind of scratchy, textured, shifting pads so it just seems like part of the sound.

If you want to make Bladerunner type epic drifty cinematic pads for example, I can't think of anything better.

• There are devs who try to listen to users feedback and take into account their requests, others who instead seem not to be interested in what their customers want. AD belongs to this second category, unfortunately.

There are devs who quickly fix the various bugs reported by users, or who try to do it, others who do not seem interested at all and instead of fixing the apps already on sale, market new apps with new bugs. AD belongs to this second category, unfortunately.

There are users who stop buying apps that have not been tested enough by the aforementioned devs and other users who continue to do so anyway.
    I belong to this second category, unfortunately.

• sounds better than 8$ , has a few issues but so did my 1000$ op1
    imma jam on it when i want to and make some songs , can’t let this stuff bother you to much... hopefully they will fix some of it but until then tweak it until it sounds great and lay down a recording

• How are you assigning cc to controls, the macro knobs for example?

• My apologies to this thread for confusing AD with SB. Two of my favorite dev’s just got intertwined in the mind 🤷🏼‍♂️

• @hibjshop said:
    My apologies to this thread for confusing AD with SB. Two of my favorite dev’s just got intertwined in the mind 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sugar Damage. Don't forget to brush your teeth.

• @Faland said:
    There are devs who try to listen to users feedback and take into account their requests, others who instead seem not to be interested in what their customers want. AD belongs to this second category, unfortunately.

There are devs who quickly fix the various bugs reported by users, or who try to do it, others who do not seem interested at all and instead of fixing the apps already on sale, market new apps with new bugs. AD belongs to this second category, unfortunately.

There are users who stop buying apps that have not been tested enough by the aforementioned devs and other users who continue to do so anyway.

This is a strong statement that is not very fair in my opinion. Chris Randall used to be very responsive, just check his previous messages. But then he reduced his communication via this forum. I am not sure that he is alone in this decision. I am not here to defend Chris in particular but this is more and more something I am noticing : our beloved devs really have harder time on this forum and I don't think this will help attracting new devs and retaining actual one. Look, we all feel so blessed to have access to so many possibilities. We really should be careful not to kill the goose with the golden eggs!

• @cuscolima said:

@Faland said:
    There are devs who try to listen to users feedback and take into account their requests, others who instead seem not to be interested in what their customers want. AD belongs to this second category, unfortunately.

This is a strong statement that is not very fair in my opinion. Chris Randall used to be very responsive, just check his previous messages. But then he reduced his communication via this forum. I am not sure that he is alone in this decision. I am not here to defend Chris in particular but this is more and more something I am noticing : our beloved devs really have harder time on this forum and I don't think this will help attracting new devs and retaining actual one. Look, we all feel so blessed to have access to so many possibilities. We really should be careful not to kill the goose with the golden eggs!

i agree with this, this forum is demanding for devs and while its cool to see them interact and care and try to make the app meet feature requests it can be over bearing even as a reader...i think if i released an app i’d be like wow everyone’s asking for so much! some of the stuff is 100% good and valid , honest feedback.. while a lot is not, just demands to make everything exactly how they want it.. this synth is great imo and didn’t have to exist... but it does and it’s cheap and not perfect as is everything..idk i hate to see all the hate on a such a good thing and hope it does not eventually make people just avoid creating for ios and we go back ten years

• after all the hype for drambo how much of this back lash will it get when it finally releases????
    i don’t blame the dev for takkng years, and knowing people are still going to pick it apart...id drop it and ghost honestly if it were me

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@ohwell said:
    Anyone managing to get Continua to behave on an air 2? On mine it feels plain unusable... :/

Working fine here on 13.3

Under ‚Settings‘ you could try to set the ‚Modulation Downsampling‘ parameter to 32. That might help although I do not seem to have issues at 8.

Nice! Can you say more about setup? Are you using it as AUv3 or full app? What host? Also what buffer size?

• @ohwell said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@ohwell said:
    Anyone managing to get Continua to behave on an air 2? On mine it feels plain unusable... :/

Under ‚Settings‘ you could try to set the ‚Modulation Downsampling‘ parameter to 32. That might help although I do not seem to have issues at 8.

Nice! Can you say more about setup? Are you using it as AUv3 or full app? What host? Also what buffer size?

Works fine on my Air 2 as well, 256 frame buffer in AUM.

• @cuscolima said:

@Faland said:

You raise an important point about how engaging on the forum can be off putting to devs. But let’s not conflate the issue of a dev’s social media/forum presence with the issue of testing and bug fixing.

User feedback is the most efficient mechanism for identifying bugs and problems. That’s why devs do betas. Some devs are so thorough and meticulous with testing that they rarely ever have major problems/bugs left on release day. Those devs don’t all need to keep updating their apps if they have other priorities. The point people seem to be making is that AD clearly hasn’t been one of those meticulous devs of late.

I must admit, I wouldn’t feel anywhere as bothered by this if I didn’t find AD’s designs outstanding and inspiring. I also would feel less motivated to speak out. That might seem like a double standard: giving more of a pass on sloppy work to products that I don’t fundamentally like, or want to like. But it’s not.

Look throughout this thread, the negative comments also come with genuine praise. That’s constructive criticism. People do it when they want to see something succeed, not when they hate!

• Can someone fill me in? What is this crazy rant about? 😳 has Chris killed kittens?

• Am I missing something?

There is no way to natively assign midi cc.
    No Midi learn for the controls?

• edited January 2020

@brambos said:

@ohwell said:

@ohwell said:

Wo! Tried the same, and it works fine too! Whereas at the same settings (or any settings) the standalone responds very poorly and misses touches (with the on screen keyboard).

Thanks Bram! :)

• @david_2017 said:
    Can someone fill me in? What is this crazy rant about? 😳 has Chris killed kittens?

Wasn't this the same dude who was threatening a fellow dev for not sending him a promo code?

• @brambos said:

@david_2017 said:
    Can someone fill me in? What is this crazy rant about? 😳 has Chris killed kittens?

Wasn't this the same dude who was threatening a fellow dev for not sending him a promo code?

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. That guy is unhinged.

• @brambos said:

@david_2017 said:

Yes.

• @brambos said:

@david_2017 said:

Oh, i need to search the unfollow button then... crazy

Thanks @espiegel123 @Liquidmantis

• @brambos said:

@david_2017 said:

Not sure about that, but if you read around the net, KVR, Gearslutz, Synthtopia etc. it seems they’ve Somehow pissed off a lot of customers, or a few vocal ones.

Dev vs the customer, who wins? Neither.

• @brambos said:

@david_2017 said:

Yeah. Apps4iDevices is a genuine guy with some, er, issues. There were a few threads a while back. Since I’m not in any position to help I’d urge to just ignore.

• @brambos said:

@ohwell said:

@ohwell said:

What the boss said.

• @brambos said:

@david_2017 said:

Yeah. Seems a bit rich calling himself 'The iOS Community'. Probably didn't get a code.

I've retweeted Chris's app release posts via a couple of accounts to give him some support.

• edited January 2020

Okb> @rs2000 said:

@DCJ said:

It also sucks that you can’t easily reset parameters to default (e.g., fine tune). Desktop is double click. On iOS double tapping will only get you the matrix. Would have been a great use of the long press, no? Maybe I’m missing something.

Agreed. I'd do a double tap for reset, tap-hold for modulation. It doesn't make much sense to do UI gestures different from de-facto standards, and tap-hold for opening the mod editor seems intuitive to me.

So is it true? Is there no way to reset parameters to default quickly? or is there a hidden work/around which I haven’t found out about yet?

And since there is this discussion about constructive user feedback vs. too harsh criticism ...

I personally love the look and the sound and the potential/capabilities of Continua - but in the end / the last 5-7% percent make a synth either a synth I deeply love and will use over and over again or just a good sounding synth with nice presets ... cause this „small flaws“ (like the preset system or the function switch of double-click/long hold) will make me loose my interest to play with it ... since itˋs stopping my creativity while I want to let it flow while working with my instruments ,.,

and that is why I would say that a respectful but honest feedback about bugs or complications made while our every day usage of an app of us users is a sign of respect and faith for the dev and its product - and not made in order to blame him or his product - but instead to unfold the apps best potential ... to make it not just good but a perfect instrument in the end - that is at least my intention in participating in this forum - and an intention I can read in most of the statements I can read here ,,,

• @cuscolima said:

@Faland said:

My post wanted to be, above all, ironic, and in fact I conclude by saying that I finally buy the apps equally, so much so that I have practically all the Audio Damage apps, as you can see from the photo.
    However, the fact remains that some bugs have not been fixed for months and this does not seem correct to customers. It's not a drama, I can live with it, but I think I have at least the right to write it on a forum.