Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Continua by Audiodamage (iOS)

Comments

• @oat_phipps Funny you don’t like the drive post filter, it’s the other way around for me! Dialing in a little bit of grit post filter really helps make those clean filters growl for me.

I actually like the name. It’s descriptive to use the plural of continuum for this synth, and memorable because we rarely see that word in the plural.

• @ajmiller said:

@McD said:

People write text they would never say to someone's face.

These are wise words. Agree 100%!

And the converse. Developers read comments like someone is insulting their children.
    Jerks. (I'll let you decide who the jerk is).

I paid good money to insult your kid, dickhead.

For the children, let's be civil. We'll have better kids for the next generation of music making.

• Word on the street is that the microtuning in Continua and Quanta has been fixed.

• @brambos said:
    Word on the street is that the microtuning in Continua and Quanta has been fixed.

Nice. I think of it as custom "out of tuning" but I was raised on distempered scale.
    What street is that by the way?

Jacob Collier is changing my whole idea of tuning. We have a long way to go to make computers match his concepts of pitch and tuning.

Try that on an iPad.

• @ohwell said:
    @oat_phipps Funny you don’t like the drive post filter, it’s the other way around for me! Dialing in a little bit of grit post filter really helps make those clean filters growl for me.

I actually like the name. It’s descriptive to use the plural of continuum for this synth, and memorable because we rarely see that word in the plural.

How dare you disagree with me! And twice!

• I see that the preset browser is finicky, as someone who likes to just dial in their own sounds, is there anything else as to why this wouldn’t be worth grabbing?

• Anyone own a linnstrument who has gotten after touch and modwheel working? Also is it just me or do midi channels 8-16 do nothing?

• @JackDwyerburger said:
    I see that the preset browser is finicky, as someone who likes to just dial in their own sounds, is there anything else as to why this wouldn’t be worth grabbing?

Lack of funds?

It's a decent wavetable synth design.

Very much in the style of Audio Damage's GUI (which Chris created to support IOS and PC/Mac sales, according to an interview).

I like their stuff and think the DSP coding is top tier. The Reverb included (but not exposed as an FX unit) is massive. It probably leverages the EOS 2 Reverb code which I also love.

Now we learn the it might do micro tuning too and match my singing voice for unexpected intervals.

Presets are for wimps... just kidding. I know that knob twiddling can become an obsession
    over really small details. I love a nice random button. I suspect Chris will get the Presets functions cleaned up but I'd never promise that. Hardly a deal breaker for me.

• @JackDwyerburger said:
    I see that the preset browser is finicky, as someone who likes to just dial in their own sounds, is there anything else as to why this wouldn’t be worth grabbing?

The FEGs are kinda finicky to grab and dial in on a touchscreen. The Default patch already contains some modulation routing. Other than that I really like it.

Think I’ll set up a true init patch on Sunday. If anyone is interested I’d be happy to share.

• @wingwizard what on earth are you on about?

• @gusgranite said:
    @wingwizard what on earth are you on about?

What? You didn’t get the memo? We must all pick a political tribe and bring it up on every occasion, apropos or not.

It’s obnoxious even to me and I’m a Bama fan.

• the only reasons not to get this synth
    1. you don’t want anymore synths as you have enough
    2. you can’t afford it
    3. your ipad is out of space 🤷🏻‍♂️

that’s all i got

• Anyone else experiencing laggy on screen keyboard in standalone mode? it’s the same issue I’ve had in several other synths since upgrading to iPad OS (12.9 iPad Pro) - most notably Electribe Wave ..

• After what took very little to convince me, I ended up getting this and am pretty blown away at the range of sound it can make

• is there a way with the FEG , so that when you press another key the previous sequence stops playing and it begins with the next key press... sometimes i want it to play thru to the end others i wana change the pitch before it finishes

• what is up the lfo in the default preset? it is all over the place when it is supposed to be smooth. none of the lfo1 parameters is being modulated so i dont know why it is so jumpy.

i checked out some presets and on some it is smooth and on others it is jumpy again.
    anyone got any clue on why that is?

• @McD said:
    Jacob Collier is changing my whole idea of tuning. We have a long way to go to make computers match his concepts of pitch and tuning.
    Try that on an iPad.

I've tried much simpler things on iPad and failed while inside Logic X it felt so natural doing it.
    Each tool has its own strengths and although limitations can be inspiring during composition, there's a point at which switching to more powerful tools helps going forward.

• @Eschatone said:
    Anyone else experiencing laggy on screen keyboard in standalone mode? it’s the same issue I’ve had in several other synths since upgrading to iPad OS (12.9 iPad Pro) - most notably Electribe Wave ..

Yup, the standalone screen keyboard is unplayable on my air 2. Laggy, misses touches, glitches in the middle of pitch bends. Thankfully it works great as auv3 with third party on screen keyboards.

• edited January 2020

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@gusgranite said:

What? You didn’t get the memo? We must all pick a political tribe and bring it up on every occasion, apropos or not.

This is actually true. I was a bit pissed off at exactly what you describe on another forum when I posted and meant to delete my post here but forgot - beside the first line. I’m normally the one saying what you’re saying. The first bit was all I meant to say before I derailed myself, that the criticism of the dev has all been reasonable while the criticism of those criticising is the only thing that has been personal and irrational. Apologies.

• @wingwizard said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@gusgranite said:

This is actually true. I was a bit pissed off at exactly what you describe on another forum when I posted and meant to delete my post here but forgot - beside the first line. I’m normally the one saying what you’re saying. The first bit was all I meant to say before I derailed myself, that the criticism of the dev has all been reasonable while the criticism of those criticising is the only thing that has been personal and irrational. Apologies.

Nah, it’s all good. Don’t worry about it. As I said, Bama fan, this is nothing 😆

• Anyone answered this? Ima also in need of this info.

@Xsyst said:
    How are you assigning cc to controls, the macro knobs for example?

• edited January 2020

Deleted

• @DatGood said:
    Anyone answered this? Ima also in need of this info.

@Xsyst said:

I’d check the manual. All of the manuals for their recent products usually state that since modern DAWs have internal MIDI learn systems, they leave MIDI learn up to the host.

• the update 1.01 fixed the jumpy lfo issue for me. thx randal

• @papertiger said:

@DatGood said:

@Xsyst said:

I’d check the manual. All of the manuals for their recent products usually state that since modern DAWs have internal MIDI learn systems, they leave MIDI learn up to the host.

Yeah that's kinda lame IMO.
    I try to avoid synths that do this, I wish iOS apps had more trial versions so I'd know whether to get this or not.
    I rather map things once (in AU or Standalone) and it then just works as is anywhere, any how. Zeeon, Model 15/D, DRC all work like this. However Continua has to be done via the DAW.

• edited January 2020

@DatGood said:

@papertiger said:

@DatGood said:

@Xsyst said:

I try to avoid synths that do this, I wish iOS apps had more trial versions so I'd know whether to get this or not.
    I rather map things once (in AU or Standalone) and it then just works as is anywhere, any how. Zeeon, Model 15/D, DRC all work like this. However Continua has to be done via the DAW.

Which makes this app totally worthless for me for me unfortunately. It's a real fucking shame I have to buy a synth to figure out what it can and can't do (real simple shit too, like, does it have global pitch bend settings ? Tiny tiny features that SHOULD be industry standard by now) instead of just having a decent description of the fucking thing in the app store. Now I bought ANOTHER app that can't do basic basic things I want out of a synth that will keep me using it for more than 1 week. Is MIDI really that hard to get right? REALLY?!

• edited January 2020

• @sclurbs said:

@DatGood said:

@papertiger said:

@DatGood said:

@Xsyst said:

Which makes this app totally worthless for me for me unfortunately. It's a real fucking shame I have to buy a synth to figure out what it can and can't do (real simple shit too, like, does it have global pitch bend settings ? Tiny tiny features that SHOULD be industry standard by now) instead of just having a decent description of the fucking thing in the app store. Now I bought ANOTHER app that can't do basic basic things I want out of a synth that will keep me using it for more than 1 week.

It does have a full manual online though

• @jipumarino said:

@sclurbs said:

@DatGood said:

@papertiger said:

@DatGood said:

@Xsyst said:

Which makes this app totally worthless for me for me unfortunately. It's a real fucking shame I have to buy a synth to figure out what it can and can't do (real simple shit too, like, does it have global pitch bend settings ? Tiny tiny features that SHOULD be industry standard by now) instead of just having a decent description of the fucking thing in the app store. Now I bought ANOTHER app that can't do basic basic things I want out of a synth that will keep me using it for more than 1 week.

It does have a full manual online though

Thanks. We established that there's an online manual, I read it, but it doesn't change anything.
    TBH I totally understand @sclurbs 's frustration. I really would not have purchased ANOTHER subtractive synth if I knew of this one missing feature. I'm more into live performances so control is key.
    I think this is the nail in the coffin for me. No more synths till Drambo... and after that, its hardware.

• @DatGood said:
    I think this is the nail in the coffin for me. No more synths till Drambo... and after that, its hardware.

IOS continues to be challenging in competition with hardware. Sometimes I read the comments on the Akai Force for missing features and it helps provide context.

Are there any great $8 hardware synths?

Anyway, I like IOS to limit financial waste overall. This was a good buy for me. If you have
    live hardware needs wait until some hardware focused review certifies all the features you need. I know waiting hurts... Drambo. More trouble than it's worth so far. I probably won't buy it out of protest! Take that finicky developers... no cash for you. (Then I'll buy it after page 3 on the forum of feedback and a Haq video). Haq convinced me to buy NS2 just for the synth. Money well spent when it hit %50 off. I waited on price. Drambo will cost the big bucks too.