Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Continua by Audiodamage (iOS)

Comments

• edited January 2020

Love this one. Yes, the preset browser is a PITA but at least you can keep it open while browsing the presets...

• @reasOne said:
    the synth looks great, functions great and sounds great! worth more than the price!
    this and shockwave are amazing releases.
    i really dislike the preset browser , it’s just like quanta :( other than that i don’t see any thing else i’d change at this point but really hope that they consider a more friendly scrolling method

I normally would just grab anything AD does... but I'm struggling to buy yet another synth.

Already having so many other synths, and most notably for atmospheric stuff: Shockwave, LaYr, Mitosynth, mood, iPulsaret, Synthscaper, Factory, Aparillo, etc. etc.

Is there something pretty unique about Continua that makes it stand out?

For $8 I'll likely be able to talk myself into it just for it's presets I suppose. :)

• any luck automating the x/y pads in BM3?

• edited January 2020

+1

@Philandering_Bastard said:

Why can’t developers implement a preset system where one steps through them with little arrows like on the Ice Gear synths for example?

< >

I know, first world problems.

• @skiphunt said:

The ability to modulate just about anything, including the Macro controls (!!) creates exciting possibilites for shifting textures and drone sounds for one. The oscillators do generate a fairly specific range of timbres, which means Continua has a signature sound, which I like (rather than a "do it all" approach) ... the possibility of creating Bladerunner type pads (there's even a preset which references the Tyrell Corporation) ... gives it a unique place in my kit.

And that lush endless reverb ...

• @reasOne said:

The FEG envelopes are fantastic. I was reading Sound on Sound's synth secrets stuff awhile back and it talked about complex envelopes for things like emulating strings. The FEG envelopes allow for that. You can have that quick attack (or slow for a nice long bow motion) and then let it decay a bit then come back up. It's fantastic. I'm loving it so far.

• @slicetwo said:

@reasOne said:

The FEG envelopes are fantastic. I was reading Sound on Sound's synth secrets stuff awhile back and it talked about complex envelopes for things like emulating strings. The FEG envelopes allow for that. You can have that quick attack (or slow for a nice long bow motion) and then let it decay a bit then come back up. It's fantastic. I'm loving it so far.

i need to figure that out!

• @skiphunt said:

@reasOne said:
    the synth looks great, functions great and sounds great! worth more than the price!
    i really dislike the preset browser , it’s just like quanta :( other than that i don’t see any thing else i’d change at this point but really hope that they consider a more friendly scrolling method

I normally would just grab anything AD does... but I'm struggling to buy yet another synth.

Already having so many other synths, and most notably for atmospheric stuff: Shockwave, LaYr, Mitosynth, mood, iPulsaret, Synthscaper, Factory, Aparillo, etc. etc.

For $8 I'll likely be able to talk myself into it just for it's presets I suppose. :)

id say it is a fairly easy synth to get a good sound from, strait forward approach with most things and so much modulation. mpe ready and a sick AD reverb in the box. 8$ for a great instrument tooooo , you’ll be happy if you like synths and it seems you do 🤣

• yeah i’m really liking this one. one suggestion would be to make it universal. especially with mpe, the force touch on the iphone could be a fun way to interact with it.

• @reasOne said:

@slicetwo said:

@reasOne said:

How so? You mean just in terms of using it that way? What I did was take the ENV1 modulation off the master level and replaced with it FEG1. Then I just program in the envelope I want. it allowed me to make a really cool sitar type patch. Honestly, Continua may be one of the best iOS synth I've used so far and I only played with it for a few minutes.

• @craftycurate, would you say there are many of these shifting texture drone sounds (ambient type) among the presets?

I’ll probably pick this one up anyway, seeing how I love all stuff AD put out. Nice to encourage them to keep doing what they’re doing (except for that preset browser:)

• @slicetwo said:

@reasOne said:

@slicetwo said:

@reasOne said:

How so? You mean just in terms of using it that way? What I did was take the ENV1 modulation off the master level and replaced with it FEG1. Then I just program in the envelope I want. it allowed me to make a really cool sitar type patch. Honestly, Continua may be one of the best iOS synth I've used so far and I only played with it for a few minutes.

ahhh ya i was trying to figure out where to send....master level labled vca, ya man that clears that up! thank ya

• @reasOne said:

@skiphunt said:

@reasOne said:

id say it is a fairly easy synth to get a good sound from, strait forward approach with most things and so much modulation. mpe ready and a sick AD reverb in the box. 8$ for a great instrument tooooo , you’ll be happy if you like synths and it seems you do 🤣

@reasOne @craftycurate it does sound like the sort of thing I generally like. Shockwave lets you modulate pretty much everything too... as do Aparillo and Factory. I'm just wondering if it's kind of redundant in that line up I cited.

I'll likely get it since I have all the rest of the AD collection... so I'm not sure why I'm even asking questions about it. lol ;)

• edited January 2020

@skiphunt said:

@reasOne said:

@skiphunt said:

@reasOne said:

@reasOne @craftycurate it does sound like the sort of thing I generally like. Shockwave lets you modulate pretty much everything too... as do Aparillo and Factory. I'm just wondering if it's kind of redundant in that line up I cited.

I'll likely get it since I have all the rest of the AD collection... so I'm not sure why I'm even asking questions about it. lol ;)

Coffee chat is good for the soul.

For me at this price it is like a super high value expansion pack with a custom gui. That being said, Synthmaster One expansion packs are out any minute now and I have a 25$ card burning a hole in my backpack. Now do I want to diversify and be tempted by sexy x/y pads (which may or may not automate in BM3) or keep it all under one familiar Synthmaster One roof? I will get it eventually but will I get it now? First world options.

• @reasOne said:
    @RedSkyLullaby , really digging your sounds!!

I'm buyer anyway, but anything with the application of Red Sky Sauce gets an autopurchase just to see what he's up to.

• The app only weighs in at 7.2mb. Does that footprint include all the presets too? Or are the preset packs downloaded after the fact like they are with Quanta?

• edited January 2020

@reasOne said:

I too find using the preset browser a pain in the butt. Among other things the scroll bar on the right is very narrow and easy to not get hold of and drag.
    But apart from that, excellent synth.

• @AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:

@reasOne said:

@skiphunt said:

@reasOne said:

Coffee chat is good for the soul.

For me at this price it is like a super high value expansion pack with a custom gui. That being said, Synthmaster One expansion packs are out any minute now and I have a 25$ card burning a hole in my backpack. Now do I want to diversify and be tempted by sexy x/y pads (which may or may not automate in BM3) or keep it all under one familiar Synthmaster One roof? I will get it eventually but will I get it now? First world options.

Yeah since I never buy preset packs, I see a new iOS synth as a similar outlay of additional sound possibilities, that's my weak justification anyway ;) No regrets with this one, it's a sound design gem.

@skiphunt said:
    The app only weighs in at 7.2mb. Does that footprint include all the presets too? Or are the preset packs downloaded after the fact like they are with Quanta?

installs as 9.5 Mb

• obs:

I would say
    it's designed for pads and ambient music mostly
    and long evolving soundscapes.
    That's where it really shines!

• edited January 2020

Are the oscillators available as a general modulation source? Or just for osc FM?

• $8.00 AD synth out the gate?

LET'S GOOOOO!!!
    (DaBaby ad lib voice)

• @bleep said:
    @craftycurate, would you say there are many of these shifting texture drone sounds (ambient type) among the presets?

I’ll probably pick this one up anyway, seeing how I love all stuff AD put out. Nice to encourage them to keep doing what they’re doing (except for that preset browser:)

Yes there are a few really unique ones in that kind of genre ... I installed the Win\OSX demo and those kind of sounds are plentiful. Maybe worth installing the demo for yourself and you'll see what I mean.

• Made this today using all Continua.

• I really like the synth. Sounds really good. If I would compare it with another synth I would go for Factory sound-wise. It is really good and I am an appoholic and a sucker for synths and AD don't cease to play the right keys. Check it first with The Sound Test Room since I am not the wisest guy when we talk about iPad apps having bought 75 synths (some of those were free or an offer of some kind). I am Vangelis the second :D

• My goodness. This synth is simply a loverly jewel to use. Here's my take on exploring it for a bit this morning before the day starts. I think I'll set this track on loop as I work today.

Running 5 instances of Continua being fed by the LaunchKey Mini MKII via Modstep:

• @echoopera said:
    My goodness. This synth is simply a loverly jewel to use. Here's my take on exploring it for a bit this morning before the day starts. I think I'll set this track on loop as I work today.

Running 5 instances of Continua being fed by the LaunchKey Mini MKII via Modstep:

very nice sounds!

• @Halftone said:

@echoopera said:
    My goodness. This synth is simply a loverly jewel to use. Here's my take on exploring it for a bit this morning before the day starts. I think I'll set this track on loop as I work today.

very nice sounds!

Many thanks. Glad you enjoy it :smile:

• edited January 2020

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@Bon_Tempi said:

@craftycurate said:
    Love the rich sound, the modulation, that looooong reverb. Great presets.

Really don’t like the preset browser though:

• Can’t arrow through presets
    • Browser scroll bar extremely thin - difficult to hit it, much easier to select a preset by mistake.
    • Can’t swipe on preset names to scroll without selecting a preset
    • When you open browser, current preset is not highlighted, nor does it navigate to the folder it’s in, and the browser covers it up, so can’t always remember which preset I’m using or which folder it came from in order to select the next one when browsing through.

Same poor browser design as Quanta ... Come on AD you’ve had plenty of time to improve this. There are many other aspects of the design that are easy and fluid to use - why not the preset browser?

But overall I love it.

+1 !!

+2

+3, but that said (after the obligatory half a day of ‘ooooooh, ahhhh, but I didn’t need another synth’, followed by ‘but I only just got ShockWave & have hardly had time to get under the hood’ & then finally ‘was going to get Mononoke & quit’), it’s file system seems slightly less of a PITA to me as Quanta’s & as a whole it’s all really quite delightful

• edited January 2020

After some more time with it, I will say that I like Quanta’s mod matrix much much more than the double click to mod. It’s easier to see what’s already mapped to what, and more friendly for a touch screen. And visually, Quanta had a little bit more color poppin going on, which I always appreciate. Love the AD UIs, feel like this one could use a dash of more color.

• @oat_phipps said:
    After some more time with it, I will say that I like Quanta’s mod matrix much much more than the double click to mod. It’s easier to see what’s already mapped to what, and more friendly for a touch screen. And visually, Quanta had a little bit more color poppin going on, which I always appreciate. Love the AD UIs, feel like this one could use a dash of more color.

Interesting ... it is harder to get an overview of all modulations as a whole compared to Quanta, but in exchange I find Continua's mod mapping method much more immediate and requires fewer steps than Quanta, which for me means it's easier to get into a creative flow.