Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 2.8.2 / Cubasis LE 2.8.2 available

Comments

• @tja said:

@wim said:

@tja said:

@Carnbot said:
    I'm not a regular Cubasis user, but I'm not seeing any obvious issues with the new update on my 12.9 2nd gen

Did you try that project?
    Reload and restart some times.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3yfrdq40i3auttg/Test C2.cbp?dl=0

I get crackles even with 1 track at Ultra Low latency.
    And reloading / restarting lead to Cubasis being totally stuck.

Ultra Low latency increases the chance of crackles. Medium (which is really high as you rightly point out) should be less prone to crackles. Lower latency = higher CPU usage.

Yes, but 2.8.1 can do the same on both older and same iOS, both on older iPads with weaker CPU and partly even less RAM.

It is worse on 2.8.2

I'm on iOS 13.1, haven't updated to 13.3 which is out now, might that be it?

• @Carnbot said:

@tja said:

@Carnbot said:
    I'm not a regular Cubasis user, but I'm not seeing any obvious issues with the new update on my 12.9 2nd gen

tried the project and loading/playing ok here....even at ultra low

That’s unexpected.
    But i am not going to update Cubasis on my other devices - as right now, 2.8.2 is totally stuck in that project and i cannot create a new project or open another project anymore!
    Only reinstalling could help.

This is not even beta but alpha software, in my book.

• @wim said:

@tja said:

@Carnbot said:

Fine here on Air 2 even at Ultra Low.
    What are your audio settings under "Project"?

48 (it’s an Air 3) and 24.

Can you kill Cubasis, start it new - automatically loading the project again - and load an old project?

That totally stuck my Cubasis ...

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@tja said:

@wim said:

@tja said:

@Carnbot said:

Can you kill Cubasis, start it new - automatically loading the project again - and load an old project?

Multiple times. It's fine no matter what I do. Same audio settings under project as you.

• tjatja
    edited December 2019

@wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

@tja said:

@Carnbot said:

Multiple times. It's fine no matter what I do.

I sent you a PM

• @wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

@tja said:

@Carnbot said:

Multiple times. It's fine no matter what I do. Same audio settings under project as you.

It's not liking me change projects when I tried, but if I turn of all the rozeta particle plugins first in the project...it works then

• LFSLFS
    edited December 2019

@tja said:

@wim said:

@tja said:

@Carnbot said:

Project plays absolutely fine with no issue on iPad Pro 12.9" 1st Gen, Ultra Low.
    Since no one seems to be able to reproduce the issue, could it be related to your iPad device?

Best
    Lars

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@tja - OK, the video you PM'd helped. Yes, with all those Rozeta Particles going nuts, trying to switch to another project borks it. Not surprising. Are you saying you could get away with something like that in the previous version? I don't know. I'd never attempt something like that. Just asking for trouble.

• @wim said:
    @tja - OK, the video you PM'd helped. Yes, with all those Rozeta Particles going nuts, trying to switch to another project borks it. Not surprising. Are you saying you could get away with something like that in the previous version?

Yes, both on iOS 12.4 and 13.3 and on 2 older devices: iPad Pro 9.7 and iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@tja said:

@wim said:
    @tja - OK, the video you PM'd helped. Yes, with all those Rozeta Particles going nuts, trying to switch to another project borks it. Not surprising. Are you saying you could get away with something like that in the previous version?

Yes, both on iOS 12.4 and 13.3 and on 2 older devices: iPad Pro 9.7 and iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen

mmmk then. Well at least the problem is narrowed down. Not that I think it's a show-stopper. I doubt jumping between projects while they're running is central to most people's workflow.

• @wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

mmmk then. Well at least the problem is narrowed down. Not that I think it's a show-stopper.

That means, i should probably update one or both other iPads too.
    Right now i cannot move projects between devices anyway.

But in the worst case this may mean that i totally use Cubasis.
    This is not something i would like.
    I still often use it, despite the problems also 2.8.1 had ...

Slightly frustrated, again ...

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@tja said:

@wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

mmmk then. Well at least the problem is narrowed down. Not that I think it's a show-stopper.

Or ... stop panicing and wait until Steinburg has a chance to fix it?
    We're cutting off your caffeine allowance if you don't settle down buddy. B)

• @wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

Or ... stop panicing and wait until Steinburg has a chance to fix it?
    We're cutting off your caffeine allowance if you don't settle down buddy. B)

Yes, I stop for now and hope for fixes for C2 and if I read correctly, also for C3 (and then either a bundle or a sale).
    I use Cubasis not as often to justify the full price, honestly.

Now going to delete and reinstall 2.8.2 as Cubasis is totally stuck and cannot be used at all.

• @tja said:
    But i am not going to update Cubasis on my other devices - as right now, 2.8.2 is totally stuck in that project and i cannot create a new project or open another project anymore!

If unexpected things happen, there is no need to uninstall the app.
    You can always launch Cubasis with an empty project:

• Go to "iPad Settings"
    • Scroll down left and tap to choose "Cubasis" icon from list
    • On the right: Enable "Load empty project on next app launch"

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@tja said:

If unexpected things happen, there is no need to uninstall the app.
    You can always launch Cubasis with an empty project:

• Go to "iPad Settings"
    • Scroll down left and tap to choose "Cubasis" icon from list
    • On the right: Enable "Load empty project on next app launch"

Best,
    Lars

Ahhh, great!
    That helped, many, many thanks!!! :) :) :)

• How come there is no upgrade price for existing customers?
    It doesnt make sense to me.
    Is everyone ok with this?

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@Jes said:
    How come there is no upgrade price for existing customers?

Half the Cubasis 3 thread discusses that. It’s been done to death. Could I humbly encourage you to go back and skim that thread rather than triggering yet another round?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36275/cubasis-3-for-iphone-and-ipad-available#latest

• Yeah ok . I see there is another thread as well.
    Just my hairtrigger outrage response kicking in.
    All good..

• Ok, I am triggered. Cubasis is not a hundred smacker single instrument Hammond organ. It’s a powerful, intuitive, multifeatured DAW, now, isn’t it? I mean, fifty bucks and twenty five on frequent sale.... and free updates for years. And now folks want an upgrade price cause they glommed off it free for years with inapps costing a couple of bucks. And no one is forcing anyone to jettison CB2. This app has been worth thousands of dollars to me in producing almost two hundred tracks. If you use it half as much as I have you have still gotten tremendous value.

Now you expect Steinberg to invest lord knows how much time and money to rebuild it so it is better than ever and not charge another fiddy cent? No one screamed about FabFilter at a hundred and a quarter for a few (tho admittedly excellent) FX. When was the last time @LFS and team got a raise? Certainly not while they were churning out updates for free (hyperbolic rhetoric, but you get the point).

Oh, the shame!

• You’re correct of course. I had a good whinge at the cost of the ‘new app’ but thinking overnight on it I do get it. I’m not normally one for getting worked up in such things and regret some of the things I said - it’s easy to get sucked in to the online ‘outrage’ but it won’t happen again here. So, apologies to @LFS and the team. I can’t afford to buy the new app but will continue to use 2.8 as and when I need it. I do think we/ I have got used to apps costing very little in relation to what we/ I get out of them and that’s part of the problem. As you were and I’m out of here to go lie down in a darkened room. All the best!

@LinearLineman said:
    Ok, I am triggered. Cubasis is not a hundred smacker single instrument Hammond organ. It’s a powerful, intuitive, multifeatured DAW, now, isn’t it? I mean, fifty bucks and twenty five on frequent sale.... and free updates for years. And now folks want an upgrade price cause they glommed off it free for years with inapps costing a couple of bucks. And no one is forcing anyone to jettison CB2. This app has been worth thousands of dollars to me in producing almost two hundred tracks. If you use it half as much as I have you have still gotten tremendous value.

Now you expect Steinberg to invest lord knows how much time and money to rebuild it so it is better than ever and not charge another fiddy cent? No one screamed about FabFilter at a hundred and a quarter for a few (tho admittedly excellent) FX. When was the last time @LFS and team got a raise? Certainly not while they were churning out updates for free (hyperbolic rhetoric, but you get the point).

Oh, the shame!

• @ajmiller said:
    You’re correct of course. I had a good whinge at the cost of the ‘new app’ but thinking overnight on it I do get it. I’m not normally one for getting worked up in such things and regret some of the things I said - it’s easy to get sucked in to the online ‘outrage’ but it won’t happen again here. So, apologies to @LFS and the team. I can’t afford to buy the new app but will continue to use 2.8 as and when I need it. I do think we/ I have got used to apps costing very little in relation to what we/ I get out of them and that’s part of the problem. As you were and I’m out of here to go lie down in a darkened room. All the best!

@LinearLineman said:
    Ok, I am triggered. Cubasis is not a hundred smacker single instrument Hammond organ. It’s a powerful, intuitive, multifeatured DAW, now, isn’t it? I mean, fifty bucks and twenty five on frequent sale.... and free updates for years. And now folks want an upgrade price cause they glommed off it free for years with inapps costing a couple of bucks. And no one is forcing anyone to jettison CB2. This app has been worth thousands of dollars to me in producing almost two hundred tracks. If you use it half as much as I have you have still gotten tremendous value.

Oh, the shame!

Classy post 👍

• @LinearLineman said:

Oh, the shame!

I would have jumped on it if only Ableton Link s/s was added.. But it is promised..

• @RajahP said:

@LinearLineman said:

Oh, the shame!

I would have jumped on it if only Ableton Link s/s was added.. But it is promised..

I’m really surprised it doesn’t have Link. That’s a showstopper for me. I really like the look of some of the UI elements so will see where it goes.

• @RajahP said:

@LinearLineman said:

Oh, the shame!

Hi all,

Please take care with the wording "But it is promised.." here.

It's on our list for many years, and believe me, I would have pretty much loved to see it in Cubasis directly after its release.
    I've also directly exchanged with Ableton back then...

Unfortunately it comes at very high cost for our developers, so I am unable to give any estimate when or if we have it in Cubasis at this point!

Best,
    Lars

• LFSLFS
    edited December 2019

@Jes said:

wim said:
    Half the Cubasis 3 thread discusses that. It’s been done to death. Could I humbly encourage you to go back > >and skim that thread rather than triggering yet another round?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36275/cubasis-3-for-iphone-and-ipad-available#latest

Don't remember any other time when I have to post the same thing again and again and again.
    Must be back at school... ;)

Seriously and shortly:
    Cubasis has seen 30+ free updates for existing customers between 2012 and 2019, including the move to V2.0 and more.

Cubasis 3 is not a simple update, but fully rewritten from scratch, adding a new iPhone version as well as 20+ new user-requested features. It took my team and me several years to make this app.

Unfortunately, Apple does not offer specific upgrade/update options, such as a grace period or similar.

I fully understand that some users are not happy that we sell Cubasis 3 at its regular price.

We hope for everyone's understanding, that we do this after giving you more than thirty free Cubasis updates, adding lots of new features from 2012 to 2019. It's not a simple update, but a brand-new app...

But, with Cubasis 3, you have the option to freely transfer all your existing in-app purchases from Cubasis 2.

Best,
    Lars

• LFSLFS
    edited December 2019

Hi @tja,

Reviewed all your reports sent via PM.
    Below please find my comments.

Thanks
    Lars

Shop page
    Restarting Cubasis 2.8.2 always opens the shop page, which is annoying, disturbing and even unfriendly. Please fix

Issue is reproducible and has been added to our bugbase.

Performance

A simple project with 8 MIDI tracks (PhaseMaker AU and Rozeta Particles AU each) is heavily crackling on my powerful Air 3 with iPadOS 13.3 and Cubasis 2.8.2
    It is NOT cracking at all on my iPad 9.7 with iOS 12.4 and Cubasis 2.8.1 and also not on my iPad 12.9 2nd gen. with iPadOS 13.3 and Cubasis 2.8.1 - it clearly comes with 2.8.2
    In general, Ultra Low Latency does not seem to work and on Low Latency, the problem still exists. Both iPads with the older Cubasis have no such problem, they work well with Ultra Low Latency.

Gave the project a short check on our iPad Pro 12.9" 1st Gen with Cubasis 2.8.2.
    As others already reported, the project runs fine here.

Please let me have further information how to reproduce the issue.

Description of Latency levels

If you have "Medium" you need to have some above and below it, otherwise it is "High" instead. So, write "Low, Medium, High" or add 2 new levels "High and Ultra High" to make your description understandable.
    Also, it would be better to depict the number of frames or seconds as latency, as any other Apps do - to be comparable!

We have fully changed this in Cubasis 3, where additional latency levels have been added. Plus, we show the values in ms. Not intended to be changed with Cubasis 2.

Buggy projects, part two

As previously replied, I was unable to reproduce your issue (as others were on the forum).
    Please send over your project with a short step description what to do, to reproduce the problem.

Best
    Lars

• edited December 2019

@ajmiller said:
    You’re correct of course. I had a good whinge at the cost of the ‘new app’ but thinking overnight on it I do get it. I’m not normally one for getting worked up in such things and regret some of the things I said - it’s easy to get sucked in to the online ‘outrage’ but it won’t happen again here. So, apologies to @LFS and the team. I can’t afford to buy the new app but will continue to use 2.8 as and when I need it. I do think we/ I have got used to apps costing very little in relation to what we/ I get out of them and that’s part of the problem. As you were and I’m out of here to go lie down in a darkened room. All the best!

@LinearLineman said:

Oh, the shame!

ok, i am officially ‘untriggering’ you :)
    on the basis that yr defence is identical to the one @lfs has been repeating .. we reserve the right to express the pros AND the cons here.. some people lean towards the cons ( possibly the ones who are genuinely skint OR unfortunately parsimoniously inclined ) others express the pros .. all should be done eloquently and it is a necessary part of the process. Steinberg need the feedback and i am sure they can work out for themselves when it is genuine puzzlement or just sour grapes.
    for me the V3 cubasis is ( as i said before ) a Buridans Ass situation. and i think it’s easy to see why some people who probably haven’t used Cubasis in any big ‘pro’ way might not want to ‘pony up’ ( see what i did there ) the full tithe.
    my personal hay vs water dilemma goes something like this:

con: despite the fact it is coded anew , it is (currently) basically V2 with a good number of small enhancements that have been requested in 2 for quite a while .. remarkably almost all of these are things i have asked for myself ( audio glue, pre/post fader effects, full throw mixer ) they are things I want.. but it is a bit of a surprise that an entirely new app has been built to accommodate them.. but if course the reason is a pro: see next
    pro: works on phones now, for some this is a BIG PRO , for me NOT , i like the idea of these things being on my phone but seldom use such a fiddly interface especially for DAW stuff.
    con: and this one is just because Steinberg have made it almost a given that an update to Cubasis comes with a half price sale.. many people will actually view v3 as ‘an update’ and somehow we have come to expect that ( sorry Lars, once a child has had a christmas he/she wants one every year! :). ) this isn:t actually a big con for me because I kind of understand Steinbergs tactics here, basically the people that get excited about these things AND have a reasonable disposable income will jump right on in, pay the full whack and Bobettes yr maiden aunt, Steiny have maximised any potential fund raising for ongoing dev. others will wait for next update and possible sale price/ less buggy version wherein another perhaps lesser round of revenue will come in. the ‘Apple doesn’t allow any upgrade path’ thing doesn’t wash as Virsyn and many other devs have shown the ‘Bundle’ workaround is entirely adequate though Steiny can’t offer that now without causing huge offence to early adopters AND we have to allow them that the transfer of ia purchases counts as a significant discount .. but only if you accept the idea that V3 is a new app, for people of the ‘other’ persuasion it will be entirely expected.
    pro: Cubasis is a hugely important part of the ios music ecosphere and that demands investment , no one can begrudge or challenge the price of v3 if starting from scratch and those that have clicked with it and produced publishable or published music with it ( count me in ) will find the means to purchase ( recent 15% tesco discount would have been better timed for V3 release. aaargggghhh, ) even though revenue from music has been gouged to death by the big siren servers, spotify etc .. would that it was otherwise, the conversation would be different. The BIG discussion ( with all its annoyances ) is proof of how important it is, it’s great that @lfs is here, he shouldn’t get disheartened.. we will defend where necessary and poke with a sharp stick where appropriate.. all part of the process.
    con: it’s ios 13 only!! this is a double edged thing.. understandable to streamline customer support and to allow new features that use uptodate apple sdks.. a risk for Steiny as it will exclude a big percentage of pro music users who like a stable system and don’t jump in whilst pro work is underway. in fact it’s sort of done me a favour as I now have to evaluate ios 13 and all its pros and cons on the main machine again and has stalled me from wading in exitedly and being frustrated by bugs.. both ios 13 and cubasis3 are inevitable for me, it’s just a question of when is the right time. I look forward to the BIG upcoming feature in Cubasis3 that will prevent this Ass from starving to death :)
    can’t think of anything else right now .. keep yr safety catch on Mike .. there will be plenty more newbs popping up, ignoring the bulk of the posts and declaring “ wait what? how much? “ Affect Heuristic responses are what the internet is all about..

• @Jes said:

I'm a day one Cubasis user and i'm absolutely fine with it.

• @RockySmalls, well posed but flawed, IMO. CB2 is available for $24.99, I believe. That is basically sale price every day. All newbs and pros dunking their toes can go for that... or wait for a $12.50 sale! If you need better stuff like FabFilter at 30 bucks a pop, well, then you can handle a half century DAW.

Of course Steinberg (owned by Yamaha) wants to make some money. Would you have preferred an abandonment at 2.8.1 and CB frozen in time cause it was no longer a profitable endeavor? Then there would be no complaints about price increases. Just wails about dereliction of moral responsibility.

Yes, of course, newcomers will always question the price on iOS. But I doubt you will see any of these folks picketing Starbucks cause their lattes went up 10%. In that they are constant bovine consumers. There is a Turkish saying... Out of pity comes misery. iOS developers, including Steinberg, usually give great value for the Consistently low prices and probably think they are doing something good for a niche community. But no, they are shameless capitalists in search of your gold.

If you remove at least some profit motive for work done there will simply be no more work done. And that, as so well demonstrated in the former Soviet Union, always leads to a stifling of initiative and low productivity. @LFS is a spokesperson for Steinberg, but, I believe, he honestly supports this price policy.
    Imagine giving what you think is good value on an ongoing basis and being met, after a strenuous effort, with uninformed birdlets stretching their throats for more. Just cause you want it don’t make it so and people need to hear that... over and over if necessary.