Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fractal Bits by Alexander Zolotov

Comments

• @ElektrikDiva said:
    Could one of you please post a picture or a short video of your set-up/workflow with the Bitz & Rosetta please? I have never been able to figure out how to use Rosetta Au and I love Fractal Bitz! Thank you so much, I’d love to jump into this fun thang wit ya’ll! Cheers!

I prefer using fractalbits with Autony

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

You just have to fiddle with the note numbers in Rozeta until they hit the pads you want. The different “octaves” in FB can have a huge effect on the sound, so it can take some searching to get to the right note combinations. Once set, saving a preset with no notes set in the grid is a good idea.

• Wim could you make me a little video please?

• @jolico said:

@ElektrikDiva said:
    Could one of you please post a picture or a short video of your set-up/workflow with the Bitz & Rosetta please? I have never been able to figure out how to use Rosetta Au and I love Fractal Bitz! Thank you so much, I’d love to jump into this fun thang wit ya’ll! Cheers!

I prefer using fractalbits with Autony

Sure I have that one too. Can you please show me how you use Autony?

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@ElektrikDiva said:
    Wim could you make me a little video please?

No, sorry. Hopefully someone else will be up for doing that.

• Thanks anyways. Cheers!

• Hi reasonone yes do you have a tutorial or a short video? Cheers!

• i sent ya a message if you need more details on setting this stuff up just get back to me
    but here is a very quick set up with a couple rozeta things and fb

• I like Fractal bits too. And I'm sequencing with Riffer. I'd like to used it the same way as @Nicebutfun, but if I locked my favorite sound for some reason, multiple sounds would be locked. And since Riffer hits notes outside the Fractal bits grid, it's rare that I can even lock the sound I like. At what number of notes should the sequence start to sound in the display range? And what should I do to lock only one sound? Please let me know if anyone knows.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@swiperrr said:
    I like Fractal bits too. And I'm sequencing with Riffer. I'd like to used it the same way as @Nicebutfun, but if I locked my favorite sound for some reason, multiple sounds would be locked. And since Riffer hits notes outside the Fractal bits grid, it's rare that I can even lock the sound I like. At what number of notes should the sequence start to sound in the display range? And what should I do to lock only one sound? Please let me know if anyone knows.

There are really only 12 sounds, but they can be played at three different octaves, and can sound very different. The 12 pad display shows the middle octave. The 36 pad view shows three octaves of the 12 possible pads. If you lock a pad, it’s locked across all three octaves.

So, you can switch to the 3 octave view and then watch which pad triggers. If the pad you want to trigger is in another bank of 12 then play a note one or two octaves higher or lower as needed.

• @wim said:

@swiperrr said:
    I like Fractal bits too. And I'm sequencing with Riffer. I'd like to used it the same way as @Nicebutfun, but if I locked my favorite sound for some reason, multiple sounds would be locked. And since Riffer hits notes outside the Fractal bits grid, it's rare that I can even lock the sound I like. At what number of notes should the sequence start to sound in the display range? And what should I do to lock only one sound? Please let me know if anyone knows.

There are really only 12 sounds, but they can be played at three different octaves, and can sound very different. The 12 pad display shows the middle octave. The 36 pad view shows three octaves of the 12 possible pads. If you lock a pad, it’s locked across all three octaves.

So, you can switch to the 3 octave view and then watch which pad triggers. If the pad you want to trigger is in another bank of 12 then play a note one or two octaves higher or lower as needed.

I was misunderstanding. The 36-pads display represented three octaves, not three times the sound type of 12-pads. And that's why multiple pads were automatically locked. I finally understood. thank you.

But when I'm sequencing a 36-pad display with Riffer, most hits don't flash the pad. And I think that by limiting the range of notes that sequencer produces, all hits will be visible and therefore lockable.

I guess this would probably require setting the MIDI note that plays bottom grid of 36-pads to bottom of sequence and also set the top to upper limit of sequence,But I don't know its MIDI note number.

I’m not too confident that this guess is not wrong. Does anyone knows the right rules?

• @swiperrr said:
    I was misunderstanding. The 36-pads display represented three octaves, not three times the sound type of 12-pads. And that's why multiple pads were automatically locked. I finally understood. thank you.

But when I'm sequencing a 36-pad display with Riffer, most hits don't flash the pad. And I think that by limiting the range of notes that sequencer produces, all hits will be visible and therefore lockable.

I guess this would probably require setting the MIDI note that plays bottom grid of 36-pads to bottom of sequence and also set the top to upper limit of sequence,But I don't know its MIDI note number.

I’m not too confident that this guess is not wrong. Does anyone knows the right rules?

Ah, maybe c2-c3 is the middle 16-pads, c1-c2 is one octave below, and c3-c4 is one octave above. I'm ashamed that I don't immediately understand this mechanism :#

• Thanks
    Didn't realize you could have the 36 pads all showing
    Found it in the settings after reading this post
    But all very easy to map

• This app sounds and looks awesome. Endless possibilities.

I love the simplicity, but i do wish it had some sort of per pad settings like adsr and gain. Kind of like the pads in the workbench app.

• @swiperrr said:

@swiperrr said:

Ah, maybe c2-c3 is the middle 16-pads, c1-c2 is one octave below, and c3-c4 is one octave above. I'm ashamed that I don't immediately understand this mechanism :#

Cool, glad you found it. Sorry, I didn't see your question until just now.
    The funny thing is those pads can sound so radically different at different octaves that it does often seem that there are actually 36 different sounds. This confused me too until I finally figured it out through trial and error.

• The simplicity of this app is why it works.
    Any effects can be added afterwards, with all the other great au3 units
    Just wish the ui could be a more pleasant on the eyes, and perhaps put the cc in the corner of each pad
    Love this app

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

The only things I could wish for are to be able to rearrange pads, and to save and load individual pads.

I wouldn’t touch the looks of the UI one bit. It’s part of the character and experience. Like an old VW hippie van. It just wouldn’t look right with a flawless candy-apple red paint job, and no rust or stickers.

• This thread is great. Caused me to rework a version of my mixer layout to use fractal bits actually. I’d never really realized that FB responds to basically any note you throw at it... so running something like Rozeta rhythm through Rosetta scaler and just using the transpose allows you to get really interesting timbral variations of baseline rhythms... basically you can create really cool beats by not changing the rhythm, but just by changing the sounds... and because it’s randomizer kicks ass, it’s pretty cool.

Hopefully I’ll get an example tomorrow posted...

• Run some long notes at it. Gets interesting.

• edited February 2020

The long notes truck was one of my secret sauce things! :#

Anyway, I use sequencers that mix up the notes chromatically for the reason that @MonkeyDrummer mentions but I’ll often use a second sequencer to dial in a more regular kick pattern to lock in. Depending on whether the tune needs that grounding of a more traditional kick pattern.

• @wim said:

@swiperrr said:

@swiperrr said:

The funny thing is those pads can sound so radically different at different octaves that it does often seem that there are actually 36 different sounds. This confused me too until I finally figured it out through trial and error.

Thank you. I agree. I feel the difference between three octave sounds.

I don't like sampling. I prefer synthesis. But sampling with this app is fun for now.

I paste my favorite sounds one by one into Audio share, Upload to google drive and assign to Ableton Live's Drum Rack. Then generate sequence using the sequencer of M4L device and edit it with piano roll. Finally, there is one first workflow that connects iOS to the desktop for me.

At first I was keen to make iPAD the main music production environment, But now I consider it a hardware instrument with maximum expandability.

And I started learning SunVox :)

• @swiperrr said:

@wim said:

@swiperrr said:

@swiperrr said:

I don't like sampling. I prefer synthesis. But sampling with this app is fun for now.

I paste my favorite sounds one by one into Audio share, Upload to google drive and assign to Ableton Live's Drum Rack. Then generate sequence using the sequencer of M4L device and edit it with piano roll. Finally, there is one first workflow that connects iOS to the desktop for me.

At first I was keen to make iPAD the main music production environment, But now I consider it a hardware instrument with maximum expandability.

Sampling FB into DigiStix or EGPulse is an easy way to put together more flexible kits. I like to do this sometimes so that my kick-like, snare-like, etc. sounds are on normal pads and notes rather than in unpredictable places.

• @wim said:

@swiperrr said:

@wim said:

@swiperrr said:

@swiperrr said:

Sampling FB into DigiStix or EGPulse is an easy way to put together more flexible kits. I like to do this sometimes so that my kick-like, snare-like, etc. sounds are on normal pads and notes rather than in unpredictable places.

Thank you.

I feel fun with FB, which slightly reduced my prejudice that sampling is a dance with dead body of sound. So I’m also interested in DigiStix and EGPulse.

However, I think it is difficult to arrange songs, mix and mastering with DAW on iOS, I’d like to take the sound which from iOS to the desktop environment as soon as possible.

But I’m still inexperienced in the current workflow and do not make the most of the goodness of iOS, so I’m looking for a better way.

After you create kits with DigiStix or EGPulse, how do you turn it into completed music work?

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@swiperrr said:
    After you create kits with DigiStix or EGPulse, how do you turn it into completed music work?

By taking it to a DAW. :D

They both have built-in sequencers though, so if a more mobile or immediate composing experience is your thing, then you can make patterns on the device and export those rather than individual hits to a DAW.

It’s all about what works best for you. I don’t create well on a desktop DAW. I don’t arrange / finish well on iOS device, so I play each one to the strengths it brings to me personally. From the sound of it, you don’t need Pulse or Stix with your best workflow.

• @wim said:

@swiperrr said:

By taking it to a DAW. :D

They both have built-in sequencers though, so if a more mobile or immediate composing experience is your thing, then you can make patterns on the device and export those rather than individual hits to a DAW.

It’s all about what works best for you. I don’t create well on a desktop DAW. I don’t arrange / finish well on iOS device, so I play each one to the strengths it brings to me personally. From the sound of it, you don’t need Pulse or Stix with your best workflow.

Thank you. I agree. Maybe another workflow is more suitable for me. Either way, FB is nice. I feel that searching for sounds in this app is something different from getting lost in the labyrinth of synth presets. Even if my brain can't figure out what I felt.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    The long notes truck was one of my secret sauce things! :#

Anyway, I use sequencers that mix up the notes chromatically for the reason that @MonkeyDrummer mentions but I’ll often use a second sequencer to dial in a more regular kick pattern to lock in. Depending on whether the tune needs that grounding of a more traditional kick pattern.

Yup, pretty much the formula here, but I need to try the long notes thing!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B9AhsSrhQ43/?igshid=1l309smttpybn

Or YouzTubez here:

• Why does FB always set the volume to 0 when I play C3?

• Great update
    👍

• Nice surprise, what are the au parameters?

• Yowza, nice surprise indeed. Am I correct that you can only change the algorithm via the AU parameter (which works fine moving between 1-3) and there isn't a way to change the algorithm via the app UI?