Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ToneBoosters ReelBus tape simulation plug-in for iOS released

Comments

• @richardyot said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Wow the lyrics to that are kind of bracing in 2019! Godlike sound, though.

You'd better not pay too close attention to Led Zep's Whole Lotta Love then...

Or just about any old school blues tune. ;)

• I remember a time when manufacturers of tape machines were desperate to get rid of all hiss, wow and flutter.

True story. ;-)

• This might be an easy question: what exactly is the effect of the three modes under the input gain meter? (Circled in red below. 3 modes are: recorder, insert fx, send fx)

• @ohwell said:
    This might be an easy question: what exactly is the effect of the three modes under the input gain meter? (Circled in red below. 3 modes are: recorder, insert fx, send fx)

From the manual:
    Recorder: in this mode, ReelBus acts as tape recorder simulator. All input signals are
    processed by the tape simulation effect and fed to the output of the plugin.
    Send FX: in this mode, ReelBus only produces echo and flanging output contributions,
    without outputting the original input. This mode is suitable for using ReelBus as bus
    effect to produce tape echo and flanging.
    Insert FX: in this mode, ReelBus produces the original (unprocessed) input as output,
    plus any flange and echo effects. This mode is suitable for using ReelBus as insert
    effect to generate tape echo and flanging.

• @klownshed said:
    I remember a time when manufacturers of tape machines were desperate to get rid of all hiss, wow and flutter.

True story. ;-)

Yep, they even had ‘noise reduction systems’ that cost as much as a good used car (multitrack)..

• FYI: an update is now available that should improve robustness.

Depending on the preset / settings, the plugin latency changes and.some hosts seem to have difficulties responding to this, causing them to crash. The update should address this.

• Is there a manual for v4? All I can find is a big manual for all their plugins but it’s still v3...

This plugin totally pisses me off... I was basically TOTALLY done with my “tape” performance setup using a bunch of various plugins. I had my midi designer pro midi controller built, the AUM mixer setup... EVERYTHING!!! And then they go an release this fucking thing and it blows everything else in the “tape” plugin world away and now I gotta do more work!!! 🤪

Seriously... I feel guilty and a bit dirty that I paid so little for this thing. ToneBoosters you magnificent bastards.

• Yeah, I have them all and I’ll buy every single plug they release, because I want to support this kind of price policy, and because their plugins are terrific.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Is there a manual for v4? All I can find is a big manual for all their plugins but it’s still v3...

This plugin totally pisses me off... I was basically TOTALLY done with my “tape” performance setup using a bunch of various plugins. I had my midi designer pro midi controller built, the AUM mixer setup... EVERYTHING!!! And then they go an release this fucking thing and it blows everything else in the “tape” plugin world away and now I gotta do more work!!! 🤪

Seriously... I feel guilty and a bit dirty that I paid so little for this thing. ToneBoosters you magnificent bastards.

Yeah, the good pain though :) This really is the jollop.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Is there a manual for v4? All I can find is a big manual for all their plugins but it’s still v3...

The second half of the manual has the v4 versions:

https://www.toneboosters.com/manuals/TB_Plugins_Manual.pdf

• @richardyot said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

The second half of the manual has the v4 versions:

https://www.toneboosters.com/manuals/TB_Plugins_Manual.pdf

Thx. Totally missed that.

• @richardyot said:

@cuscolima said:
    I bought this app based on the great enthousiasme here but I am now a bit lost. Please forgive my amateurship but... how do you use a tape simulator? What for ? What does it really bring to your songs (as far as my spectrum monitor can let me know, it is mainly a (high) frequencies filter...so...why?)

To give a more concrete example, tape saturation can be heard all over the recordings we grew up with, especially in the music of the 60s and 70s. Rolling Stones recordings for example are characterised by the sound of tape saturation.

Listen to this recording of Brown Sugar and you can hear that it's far from pristine, the sound is always on the verge of breaking up, especially in the busier sections. If you listen to the saxophone that comes in at 1'40" you can hear there is audible distortion in the timbre of the instrument, it's a long way from being a pristine digital recording, but the entire track (including the vocals) is recorded quite hot on the tape and so the sound of the overdriven tape is all over the recording.

This will make me sound like Mick?! Sold!

• @supadom said:

@richardyot said:

@cuscolima said:
    I bought this app based on the great enthousiasme here but I am now a bit lost. Please forgive my amateurship but... how do you use a tape simulator? What for ? What does it really bring to your songs (as far as my spectrum monitor can let me know, it is mainly a (high) frequencies filter...so...why?)

To give a more concrete example, tape saturation can be heard all over the recordings we grew up with, especially in the music of the 60s and 70s. Rolling Stones recordings for example are characterised by the sound of tape saturation.

Listen to this recording of Brown Sugar and you can hear that it's far from pristine, the sound is always on the verge of breaking up, especially in the busier sections. If you listen to the saxophone that comes in at 1'40" you can hear there is audible distortion in the timbre of the instrument, it's a long way from being a pristine digital recording, but the entire track (including the vocals) is recorded quite hot on the tape and so the sound of the overdriven tape is all over the recording.

Yeah, and if you buy an old battered Telecaster you can sound just like Keef as well. To sound like Hendrix you need to buy a strat. It's easy really.

• @richardyot said:

@supadom said:

@richardyot said:

@cuscolima said:

Yeah, and if you buy an old battered Telecaster you can sound just like Keef as well. To sound like Hendrix you need to buy a strat. It's easy really.

Wow, thanks for the tips. I just need to find out which of these gentlemen I want to be.

• edited October 2019

@supadom said:

@richardyot said:

@supadom said:

@richardyot said:

@cuscolima said:

Wow, thanks for the tips. I just need to find out which of these gentlemen I want to be.

• edited October 2019

I really think you can sound like every guitar player with whatever guitar.
    It’s in your brain,then your fingers,not in the guitar.

• @flo26 said:

It wasn't serious advice, just English banter. 😀

• edited October 2019

Well isn’t this a lovely little warmer? So nice. My only criticism is that the start/stop button should be at least four times bigger. A bit touchy to hit reliably as it is.

But yah, love it and will use it all over the place.

• @flo26 said:

While I agree that the particular guitar is less important than one's ear and touch and fingers, there are aspects of a particular tone that are tied to the hardware -- and some players exploit that more than others.

• @espiegel123 said:

@flo26 said:

While I agree that the particular guitar is less important than one's ear and touch and fingers, there are aspects of a particular tone that are tied to the hardware -- and some players exploit that more than others.

'e's just doing that English wittering is all guv'nor...

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@flo26 said:

'Tis a bit tricky to get that Tele bite on a Les Paul though. Just sayin'

• @wim said:

@flo26 said:

'Tis a bit tricky to get that Tele bite on a Les Paul though. Just sayin'

True. For anyone that cares here's a basic difference between Fender and Les Paul guitars:
    .75 inch of overall neck length:

With regard to tone, a longer scale (e.g. Fender Telecasters with 25.5 inch (648 mm) scale length) favors "brightness" or cleaner overtones and more separated harmonics versus a shorter scale (e.g., Gibson Les Paul with 24.75 in (628 mm) scale length), which favors "warmth" or more muddy overtones.

I suspect with the shorter scale length that Les Paul players might be able to use thicker gauge strings without worrying about breakage. SRV played Fender Strats but tuned down 1/2 a half step (Eb) for deeper bends and thicker strings.

With both instruments tuned to A=440 the Fender with the same gauge strings will be forced to have more string tension making it "bright" while the Les Paul has a darker tone
    and typically more sustain (which is also a function of the "through the body" neck design).
    Les Paul's can sustain longer as a general rule. They are also pretty heavy with more body mass.

There are also typically difference in pick-ups and bridge designs on the standard models
    but many players will swap out the standard parts to their preferences.

It's still sometime hard to predict if a guitar solo is one or the other... like Mark Knopfler's "Sultans of Swing" is a Strat tune (played with his fingers) and Jimmy Page played almost everything on Les Paul's with "Led Zeppelin".

• edited October 2019

Scale length has a modest effect on tone, but a significant effect on how a guitar feels to play.

Guitar tone is a function of many parts - types of wood used in the body and neck, type of construction (solid body/hollow body/semi-solid, through-neck Vs bolt-on neck), type of bridge, types of pickups (makes a HUGE différence), types (and newness!) of guitar strings being the most important factors.

And don’t forget that you can’t get a sound out of an electric guitar without an amp, whose basic sounds can vary wildly, the 3 archetypes being Marshall, Fender and Vox.

• @McD : fwiw, with strats and teles, the sound we associate with them are largely the pickup. A strat or tele with humbuckers doesn't have the iconic strat or tele sound (although there are special humbuckers that stack that can sound more strat-like than normal humbuckers).

This is not to say that one needs those iconic sounds to sound great. But if one loves a particular tone, it can be useful to know what aspects are hardware related.

• edited October 2019

And here's me thinking there is a heated discussion on metal vs chrome.

Still, I've sure learned something, inadvertently.

• The guitar players have moved in. There goes the neighborhood.

• @wim said:
    The guitar players have moved in. There goes the neighborhood.

Like this guy, he’s slapped bit crush on his guitar and can’t get enough. Some people...

• @wim said:
    The guitar players have moved in. There goes the neighborhood.

😉

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I wonder why @Daveypoo hasn't posted the perfect video about this yet?!

I'm flattered, truly.

Two reasons -

1) I don't have any of the Tone Boosters apps, however if anyone knows the dev and they are interested in what I do, let me know.

2) I'm out of the country so production has slowed ;)

• @ExAsperis99 said:

I wonder why @Daveypoo hasn't posted the perfect video about this yet?!

Doug will do it tonight at 8 pm uk time