Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ToneBoosters ReelBus tape simulation plug-in for iOS released

124»

Comments

• @richardyot said:

Listen to this recording of Brown Sugar and you can hear that it's far from pristine, the sound is always on the verge of breaking up, especially in the busier sections. If you listen to the saxophone that comes in at 1'40" you can hear there is audible distortion in the timbre of the instrument, it's a long way from being a pristine digital recording, but the entire track (including the vocals) is recorded quite hot on the tape and so the sound of the overdriven tape is all over the recording.

That's Ernie Watts on sax. He sat in with my college jazz band for an entire set back in the 90s, which was a huge thrill for us. Loudest sax player I ever heard in my life -- without amplification.

• How does this plugin compare to DAW Cassette? I have DAW Cassette, but it doesn't sound at all good to me.

• edited December 2019

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    How does this plugin compare to DAW Cassette? I have DAW Cassette, but it doesn't sound at all good to me.

I also thought DAW cassette doesn’t sound good but tape saturation is a tough one to do digitally. You can probally get a demo of the toneboosters version on mac/pc to test.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    How does this plugin compare to DAW Cassette? I have DAW Cassette, but it doesn't sound at all good to me.

It's much more subtle than DAW Cassette, or at least it can be (you can of course dial everything up to destruction), and it has better saturation options (hysteresis as well as saturation). You can also push some frequencies more than others - overall it's a much higher fidelity tape simulation, the best available on iOS by far IMO (the next best option is the PSP Microwarmer plugin available in Auria, but I think Reelbus is better sounding)

Blows it and all other tape related apps away. The delay is fairly simple, but it works well with the rest of the model.

The ONLY thing missing I think is it should have more control over the “device” the tape stop is kind of a one trick pony. I’d have preferred a more manual way to increase or decrease tape speed (as an effect, not the speed setting that’s there now...). Like on a manual reel to reel when you hold a reel, or manually push it to speed up.

ReelBus and REAMP will get your iPad as close to an old analog sound as I think you can get on a small portable device.

• Does anyone know what the 'sol' setting on the delay is? I can hear it is different from pan and rotate but don't know exactly what it is doing or what 'sol' is short for. It's not in the manual, TB are great but they could be better about updating their manuals to reflect updates to the apps.

• @Gavinski said:
    Does anyone know what the 'sol' setting on the delay is? I can hear it is different from pan and rotate but don't know exactly what it is doing or what 'sol' is short for. It's not in the manual, TB are great but they could be better about updating their manuals to reflect updates to the apps.

Where I come from SOL = Sh*t Out of Luck 😆

When I first heard Reelbus, DAW Cassette ceased to exist for me. I don't think this one will be topped.

• saturn?

• @noob said:
    saturn?

No. Have them both. I love Reelbus to the end. Wonderful, wonderful FX plugin! @DJB its sublime and magnificent!!! I cannot recommend it enough

• @noob said:
    saturn?

I thought saturn was a dist/saturator plugin that modeled amps, not tape.

• @sippy_cup said:

@noob said:
    saturn?

I thought saturn was a dist/saturator plugin that modeled amps, not tape.

It has tape warm saturation but no flutter and stuff

• So, I see nobody else has a clue what this 'sol' is, 😂

• edited August 2020

@Gavinski said:
    So, I see nobody else has a clue what this 'sol' is, 😂

It's from the SOL-20 I think. A computer cassette tape interface....I believe.

• @sippy_cup said:

@Gavinski said:

Thanks! Did it have some kind of special setting for the stereo delay? Because this sol is in the delay panning options section. Might have to wait for Toneboosters to clarify things,

• @Gavinski said:

@sippy_cup said:

@Gavinski said:

Thanks! Did it have some kind of special setting for the stereo delay? Because this sol is in the delay panning options section. Might have to wait for Toneboosters to clarify things,

For that you will need to consult Toneboosters. I'm certain that SOL stands for that tape interface though.

• Sweet, let you know when I find out for sure.

• @Daveypoo said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I wonder why @Daveypoo hasn't posted the perfect video about this yet?!

I'm flattered, truly.

Two reasons -

1) I don't have any of the Tone Boosters apps, however if anyone knows the dev and they are interested in what I do, let me know.

2) I'm out of the country so production has slowed ;)

Hi @daveypoo - happy to help out if you'd be interested to review our (Toneboosters) plugins! You can send me a pm or contact us via our website (www.toneboosters.com/support.html).

• edited September 2020

From the developers:
    “There are two important changes:
    Major reduction in bias-induced intermod distortion and aliasing for the 'normal' mode
    Addition of a new High Quality (HQ) mode with even higher upsampling and aliasing reduction filters for purists :-) “

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tb-reelbus/id1482450479

• @sippy_cup said:

@Gavinski said:

@sippy_cup said:

@Gavinski said:

For that you will need to consult Toneboosters. I'm certain that SOL stands for that tape interface though.

more inclined to think it stands for ‘Solar’ .. as in: an offcentre rotation to complement the other more ‘normal’ rotation added in this update...
    at least that’s what it sounds like to me.. could be well wide of the mark though.

• @RockySmalls thanks for chipping in Rocky, the other rotation was there before this update by the way.

• And on this note, the TB dev, Jeroen, pointed out after he watched my Stereo Delay video that Blue Mangoo were wrong in thinking their Stereo Delay was the only plugin to do this kind of delay rotation. TB have had a few plugins doing this for years already.

For what it's worth, I think I slightly prefer the sound of the BM SD rotation, though I love the separate control of left and right delays in the TB RB. I'll do a video on this soon, great app!

• edited September 2020

@Gavinski said:
    @RockySmalls thanks for chipping in Rocky, the other rotation was there before this update by the way.

yeah, hadn’t noticed as i generally use for tape emulation and not for the echo bit... so that makes it less likely to be ‘solar’ as why would they add that BEFORE normal rotation.
    listening to it and with an oscilloscope on it to check out left and right.. i revise my guess to something like ‘solo’ .. because it basically sounds nearly the same as the Pan L , Pan R but with less clout and more distant making me think only the echoes are soloed into the left or right whereas with the Pan L/pan R you get a more upfront sound with more of the original signal in the panned channel..
    it’s definitely restricted to the left ( or right channel ) so NOT ‘solar’ so i hereby ditch my first guess.
    @DJB any word of clarification on this tiny but mysterious point?
    p.s. a ‘solar’ offcentre rotation for the echoes would be nice though :)

• I also noticed that this is not any kind of rotation. I also didn't notice much difference between this and r/l pan

• @RockySmalls said:

@sippy_cup said:

@Gavinski said:

@sippy_cup said:

@Gavinski said:

more inclined to think it stands for ‘Solar’ .. as in: an offcentre rotation to complement the other more ‘normal’ rotation added in this update...
    at least that’s what it sounds like to me.. could be well wide of the mark though.

I like tapioca pudding.

• @sippy_cup said:

@RockySmalls said:

@sippy_cup said:

@Gavinski said:

@sippy_cup said:

@Gavinski said:

I like tapioca pudding.

is this a new theory to replace Thompson’s ‘Plum Pudding’ model? i’m on board if so :)

• @RockySmalls said:

@sippy_cup said:

@RockySmalls said:

@sippy_cup said:

@Gavinski said:

@sippy_cup said:

@Gavinski said:

I like tapioca pudding.

is this a new theory to replace Thompson’s ‘Plum Pudding’ model? i’m on board if so :)

Always been a Kozy Shack guy. Their chocolate varietal is the best I have tasted, deep dark chocolate richness, none of that overly sweet cadbury/hershey bs.