Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ToneBoosters ReelBus tape simulation plug-in for iOS released

Comments

• @jrjulius said:
    Using Boards of Canada as a tonal reference = I’m gonna check out your app. This looks like an absolutely amazing tool! Particularly excited to see tape flanging, too — I’ve been jealously eyeing the Strymon tape sim pedal for years but could never justify the purchase.

El Cap or Deco? I got an el cap for 250€ second hand. Never looked back. Incredible tape delay wonderful sound and integrated looper ;)

Checked some videos on this but I wasn’t pushed down the fence although I got the reverb and it’s fantastic!

• i have an El Cap as well,first time that i spent so much on a single effect but it sounds so good that i never regret the purchase and it convinced me that sometimes it's well worth to spend quite a lot on a single effect instead of looking for jack of all trades stuff...

Anyway,great new app.Already purchased it but had no time to check it out yet.

• Very impressed with this great sounding emulations. @JDB I did have one crash on changing presets using latest iPad OS iPad Pro 9.7 2016 model. Hope you can fix that.

• Instabuy... thank you for posting.

• DJBDJB
    edited October 2019

@Jumpercollins said:
    Very impressed with this great sounding emulations. @JDB I did have one crash on changing presets using latest iPad OS iPad Pro 9.7 2016 model. Hope you can fix that.

Thanks for reporting. If there are any steps to reliably reproduce a crash (for example selection of specific presets?) that would be very helpful for debugging! Would be good to get that issue out of the way ASAP.

Also any info on what host you're using when experiencing a crash would be very valuable

• DJBDJB
    edited October 2019

@auxmux said:
    Any one getting crashes? @DJB On an Air 2, with 13.1, I had some crashes as I was changing presets and while adjusting parameters on echo screen.

Thanks; if you could share any steps to reproduce the crash that would be very helpful! Especially if it is related to specific controls, or specific presets that consistently cause issues.

Also any info on what host you're using when experiencing a crash would be very valuable

• Are the parameters in ReelBus exposed?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Are the parameters in ReelBus exposed?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I...feel shame.

• @TimRussell said:
    I wonder can I get similar effects using RE-1 by Kai Aras and having feedback at zero...

+1 was wondering the same. I pretty much get what I want from RE-1 but have liked what this dev has done so far so I might check it out too.

• @skiphunt said:

@TimRussell said:
    I wonder can I get similar effects using RE-1 by Kai Aras and having feedback at zero...

+1 was wondering the same. I pretty much get what I want from RE-1 but have liked what this dev has done so far so I might check it out too.

I love RE-1. Reelbus has a very different character, is more CPU efficient, (and to my ear) sounds much more like real tape. Plus, it has a tape-stop effect!

• @DJB

Enjoying the new Reelbus app.

It’s a minor GUI/usability thing for me ... the hit box seems narrow for the vertical sliders e.g. on the Tape page... it often takes a few goes to hit exactly the right horizontal position so I can drag it up/down. Maybe a bit of fat finger ... but a wider hit box would be good. The visible part is clear enough, it’s just the clickable bit that could be a bit wider.

• So how does this compare with Klevgrand DAW Cassette?

• @TimRussell said:
    So how does this compare with Klevgrand DAW Cassette?

DAW Cassette is more lo-fi. Reelbus can do a much wider range of tape-like effects, and can be applied much more subtly.

• But if you looove that lofi sound, they’re both worth having imo.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I...feel shame.

:D

• I bought this app based on the great enthousiasme here but I am now a bit lost. Please forgive my amateurship but... how do you use a tape simulator? What for ? What does it really bring to your songs (as far as my spectrum monitor can let me know, it is mainly a (high) frequencies filter...so...why?)

• @cuscolima said:
    I bought this app based on the great enthousiasme here but I am now a bit lost. Please forgive my amateurship but... how do you use a tape simulator? What for ? What does it really bring to your songs (as far as my spectrum monitor can let me know, it is mainly a (high) frequencies filter...so...why?)

I would say it's best used as a subtle distortion module: add it to a drum bus, or a bass track, or a vocal track etc... to give a little pleasing distortion and compression. Used carefully it could even go on the Master bus, just to add smidge of "nice" distortion.

• @cuscolima said:
    I bought this app based on the great enthousiasme here but I am now a bit lost. Please forgive my amateurship but... how do you use a tape simulator? What for ? What does it really bring to your songs (as far as my spectrum monitor can let me know, it is mainly a (high) frequencies filter...so...why?)

To give a more concrete example, tape saturation can be heard all over the recordings we grew up with, especially in the music of the 60s and 70s. Rolling Stones recordings for example are characterised by the sound of tape saturation.

Listen to this recording of Brown Sugar and you can hear that it's far from pristine, the sound is always on the verge of breaking up, especially in the busier sections. If you listen to the saxophone that comes in at 1'40" you can hear there is audible distortion in the timbre of the instrument, it's a long way from being a pristine digital recording, but the entire track (including the vocals) is recorded quite hot on the tape and so the sound of the overdriven tape is all over the recording.

• Wow the lyrics to that are kind of bracing in 2019! Godlike sound, though.

• edited October 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Wow the lyrics to that are kind of bracing in 2019! Godlike sound, though.

You'd better not pay too close attention to Led Zep's Whole Lotta Love then...

• As far as I know it doesn’t imagine slave rape? But the scholarship on “Brown Sugar” is pretty thoughtful. I don’t want to cancel Mick at all. Probably the worst thing about “Brown Sugar” is that Foreigner ripped it off for “Hot Blooded.”
    Apologies for the thread derail.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    As far as I know it doesn’t imagine slave rape? But the scholarship on “Brown Sugar” is pretty thoughtful. I don’t want to cancel Mick at all. Probably the worst thing about “Brown Sugar” is that Foreigner ripped it off for “Hot Blooded.”
    Apologies for the thread derail.

Fair point. To be fair I'm pretty sure those lyrics would have been dodgy in 1971!

• edited October 2019

@DJB said:

@auxmux said:
    Any one getting crashes? @DJB On an Air 2, with 13.1, I had some crashes as I was changing presets and while adjusting parameters on echo screen.

Thanks; if you could share any steps to reproduce the crash that would be very helpful! Especially if it is related to specific controls, or specific presets that consistently cause issues.

@DJB I'm using AUM and I'm getting consistent crashes when changing presets. I was able to repeat this happening when I went from Space Echoes to Tape Stop. If I navigate using the drop-down, it loads fine but using presets arrows caused the crashes to happen.

• @richardyot said:

@cuscolima said:

To give a more concrete example, tape saturation can be heard all over the recordings we grew up with, especially in the music of the 60s and 70s. Rolling Stones recordings for example are characterised by the sound of tape saturation.

Listen to this recording of Brown Sugar and you can hear that it's far from pristine, the sound is always on the verge of breaking up, especially in the busier sections. If you listen to the saxophone that comes in at 1'40" you can hear there is audible distortion in the timbre of the instrument, it's a long way from being a pristine digital recording, but the entire track (including the vocals) is recorded quite hot on the tape and so the sound of the overdriven tape is all over the recording.

The famous Muscle Shoals sound in spades on this tune. Great write-up in last weekend's Wall Street Journal about Muscle Shoals, including a reference to when the Stones came to town.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@richardyot said:

@cuscolima said:

The famous Muscle Shoals sound in spades on this tune. Great write-up in last weekend's Wall Street Journal about Muscle Shoals, including a reference to when the Stones came to town.

There's also a documentary about Muscle Shoals that's well worth watching:

• @cuscolima said:

Or it can be used more obviously to add a kind of Boards of Canada saturated, hissy, slightly wow & flutter type effect. Apparently they used to master recordings onto an old Grundig tape deck to get this effect. There’s even a preset named in homage to them.

• edited October 2019

@richardyot @craftycurate
    Thanks both of you. So if I understand well, a tap simulator will give your tracks/song a particular "colour" that will help make it sound less "artificial", more "retro" and give it a specific identity...or something.

• @cuscolima said:
    Thanks both of you. So if I understand well, a tap simulator will give your tracks/song a particular "colour" that will help make it sound less "artificial", more "retro" and give it a specific identity...or something.

Yes. Essentially it adds a type of distortion which you can use at your discretion.

• @cuscolima said:

It's certainly a much less "clean" digital sound ... it all depends on what sound you like or what your creative aim is for a particular track. It's amazing how a small amount of tape effect e.g. wow & flutter from this plugin adds a whole lot of richness to an ambience. Combine it with a rich reverb and a bit of shimmer from TB Reverb and there's your next ambient album right there.

Tracks that benefit from this effect are often those that benefit from the realistic analogue synth features like pitch drift and other variations associated with real analogue gear. Zeeon has some nice feaures like "slop" I think it's called.