Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPadOS / iOS 13 Bugs and nitpicks

Comments

• You dont need to use the spacebar to start controlling the cursor!
    It also works when you press and hold on the text.

But.

But it seems to interprete the text in some way and sometimes it simply does not go where it should go, instead jumping to the end of some special sign, a word or some brace character ...
    Its buggy for me

• Weird, not seen any issues with it and I use that function every day. :(

• Sometimes, all audio output from all apps (including the stock Music app) over headphones is suddenly mono. Reboot needed to go back to stereo!

• @SevenSystems said:
    Sometimes, all audio output from all apps (including the stock Music app) over headphones is suddenly mono. Reboot needed to go back to stereo!

Reboot of the device, or of yourself?

• edited November 2019

@wim said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Sometimes, all audio output from all apps (including the stock Music app) over headphones is suddenly mono. Reboot needed to go back to stereo!

That has been needed for MONTHS now... fortunately my finger is already on the button 😉

(the mono thing is accompanied by a drop in volume and quality as well. It seems to happen often after a regular non-VoIP phone call, so the whole audio subsystem probably gets stuck in "phone mode" or so.)

• @SevenSystems said:

@wim said:

@SevenSystems said:

That has been needed for MONTHS now... fortunately my finger is already on the button 😉

(the mono thing is accompanied by a drop in volume and quality as well. It seems to happen often after a regular non-VoIP phone call, so the whole audio subsystem probably gets stuck in "phone mode" or so.)

What a device is that?

• @tja said:

@SevenSystems said:

@wim said:

@SevenSystems said:

What a device is that?

iPhone SE. It doesn't happen often, but it does 🙂

• When sorting Apps, I constantly run into problems when moving the icons around.
    Often, I land in some folder where I did not want to go to and cannot leave it anymore.
    I then need to drop the icon and take it up again to leave that folder again and move it to another screen.

Maybe I am simply doing this wrong, but it does not seem to be intuitive in any way.

• Good news - an iOS update has been publicly released that should fix the multitasking issues! Just installed it and so far so good!

• Also an increasingly common sight since iOS 13:

• @tja said:
    You dont need to use the spacebar to start controlling the cursor!
    It also works when you press and hold on the text.

But.

But it seems to interprete the text in some way and sometimes it simply does not go where it should go, instead jumping to the end of some special sign, a word or some brace character ...
    Its buggy for me

Yep. So for example, even using their own Notes app, it SOMETIMES lets me place the cursor at a point midway in a word, but more often than not it will highlight the whole word. There's usually no way to edit a simple spelling mistake, or worse, text changed by the bleedin prompt.

Ridiculous, stupid. Basic functionality broken.

And for that reason this iPad stays on 12x.

• edited November 2019

"Connect to server" (Files app) SMB connections only working very intermittently. They mostly have to be recreated every time the server is rebooted. The same connection from FileExplorer (for example) always works flawlessly.

• tjatja
    edited December 2019

Some more things:

When handling multiple Safari windows, again and again I notice that the keyboard does not pop up anymore.
    Closing all Safari windows fixes this.

Using WhatsApp and also other web applications on iPad, there may appear a white upper boarder on the keyboard which prevents to touch the box where I want to type in, preventing me to type anything.

My SwiftKey keyboard which I use on 3 of 4 devices repeats to enter a state where it does not open anymore, but instead the system keyboard appears. Killing the App helps.

Also with SwiftKey, sometimes the keyboard overlays the box where I want to write, similar to the Safari problem, but this also in WhatsApp or Telegram on iPhone.

I did not yet update my Reminders, as one device is on iOS 12.4 - Syncing between devices still seems to be problematic. Apps like GoodTask that just use the Reminders data often do not sync at all, making them useless.

The Notes App does not seem to allow Pencil writings anymore, only when the note is in the iCloud, but not locally...

• Nitpicks for me! The mail thing @SevenSystems mentions above. Secondly, swipe up to close an app - if it’s a music app with inbuilt piano at the bottom I always hit a note. Thirdly, where the heck did ‘select all’ go to when selecting text in notes? Minor nitpicks but annoying. These things didn’t used to happen! And, breathe!

• edited December 2019

@tja I feel that many of the ‘issues’ with SwiftKey and other apps are due to their developers being in direct competition with Apple. In this case Microsoft. I’m not saying that they are intentionally crippling the software, more like they take more time than necessary to fix the bugs.

Google drive on the mac has been an example of this as well.

By the way, why on earth SwiftKey on Android works with three languages simultaneously but not on iOS? This has been bothering me for a while now. I’m guessing most folks speak two languages so they don’t get many requests to add it but since they have it working on other platforms why not on iOS?

• @ajmiller said:
    Thirdly, where the heck did ‘select all’ go to when selecting text in notes? Minor nitpicks but annoying. These things didn’t used to happen! And, breathe!

^this!
    Sometimes you can get it to come up, but I haven’t identified the magic sequence of actions. Super annoying.

• @wim said:

@ajmiller said:
    Thirdly, where the heck did ‘select all’ go to when selecting text in notes? Minor nitpicks but annoying. These things didn’t used to happen! And, breathe!

^this!
    Sometimes you can get it to come up, but I haven’t identified the magic sequence of actions. Super annoying.

Apparently you have to make sure you double-tap in a reeeaaally empty spot, far away from any kind of word that could accidentally be selected instead...?

@tja: Yep SwiftKey (my main keyboard of choice as well) has been super bugged since iOS 13 here too. Switches back to Apple keyboard constantly (like, every other time it comes up).

@supadom: the "two languages only" thing has been annoying for me as well when I lived in Spain (WhatsApp with the locals: Spanish. WhatsApp with family: German. Everything else: Engrish). Apparently it's due to the memory limit per keyboard extension (yes, similar thing to AUv3...)

• Screenshots still don't crop reliably. i.e. take a Screenshot, crop it in the modal interface, hit "Save to Photos". Voila, often the full Screenshot is saved instead. Can be anything from embarrassing to dangerous!

(sorry I had to revive this thread 😁)

• The worst thing for me (and this is not iOS 13 specific but still needs to be bug fixed in 13) is the large cpu spike when you open an AU window in hosts like AUM. Opening AU windows can spoil recordings with small glitches. Really frustrating, do the 2018 ipads do this?

I'm eyeing up any upcoming 2020 pro 12.9, hopefully there's going to be a significant CPU increase.

• I'm getting Files app showing no files quite often , reboot fixes it...
    13.3 ios

• Mail filters also often work extremely well in iOS 13 😉

• @SevenSystems said:

@wim said:

@ajmiller said:

^this!

Apparently you have to make sure you double-tap in a reeeaaally empty spot, far away from any kind of word that could accidentally be selected instead...?

Tap exactly on the cursor position and long hold your finger. When you lift it, the “Select All” option will show up.
    (Yes, it also drove me crazy for months until I found it...)

• @Rodolfo said:

@SevenSystems said:

@wim said:

@ajmiller said:

^this!

Tap exactly on the cursor position and long hold your finger. When you lift it, the “Select All” option will show up.
    (Yes, it also drove me crazy for months until I found it...)

thanks to both of you. its much more manageable now.

• That mail issue has been there for me since iOS7. I use Spark now because I need to get emails when they’re available, not when I remember to go refresh the mail app. I think it’s at least a fairly well known problem that Apple doesn’t work well with gmail on any platform. I had the same experience with the desktop mail app, but stopped using it since snow leopard. Judging by what I’ve read, Apple isn’t in a hurry to fix things with google. To be fair, Google isn’t any better, the rate they’re killing good apps to make room for poor ones makes even Adobe look good.

• @Stiksi said:
    To be fair, Google isn’t any better, the rate they’re killing good apps to make room for poor ones makes even Adobe look good.

😄 Poor Adobe! (you have a point there though).

Wondering about the priority of fixing all the status bar glitches too 😉

• Anybody else experienced this?

• Because of the recent Samplr update I took a plunge with my main Live iPad and updated from 13.1 to the latest. I wish I hadn’t done it as as soon as I’ve got my usual session running I started getting crackles when swiping between apps. Now I have to be content with 256 frames. No fun.

• A follow up to my earlier post.

• @InfoCheck To be honest, I do not understand your problem, even after watching both videos.
    I only see you scrolling around, but what is not working as you expected?
    A bit text could help :)

I never used AudioLayer and I also never used this method with opening a menu from the App icon, so have no experience.

• edited February 2020

@tja said:
    @InfoCheck To be honest, I do not understand your problem, even after watching both videos.
    I only see you scrolling around, but what is not working as you expected?
    A bit text could help :)

I never used AudioLayer and I also never used this method with opening a menu from the App icon, so have no experience.

I have very limited knowledge about what’s going on with iPadOS so the following is conjecture on my part:

It’s a security and performance issue. There should not be video files, pictures, Audulus files, Pages, spreadsheets, pdf files, etc. associated with the AudioLayer app which should not have access to them. AudioLayer should only have access to its own files which are audio, sfz, EXS, zip, and its own instrument files. When you tap on the icon for a file it should open it up inside the app. For me, sfz files aren’t working with AudioLayer as iPadOS sometimes thinks they’re sfz files and other times thinks they’re audio files so they won’t open in AudioLayer when tapped. On my devices running iOS 12.4.5, the sfz files have an AudioLayer icon and import into AudioLayer as expected.

On iOS and iPadOS, each app is sandboxed so that they don’t share files with other apps. This is a critical aspect for security so malicious code can’t take over your device. I didn’t put all those hundreds of files in anything associated with the AudioLayer app, iPadOS did that all by itself and the second video shows it doing that in real time. There is some scrolling but much of the time it’s just iPadOS searching for more files to associate with AudioLayer. At one point I was going to stop the screen recording because iPadOS paused and wasn’t adding more files but then it resumed adding more so I continued the screen recording. More files were automatically added after I finished the screen recording. Some of the files even came from iCloud folders and Google Drive.

If this behavior happened with more apps, it could easily grind your device to a halt as the OS is busy searching through your device for files to associate with your apps in an indiscriminate way such that it’s too busy to do what you want it to do.

If you read the release notes for iOS and iPadOS updates, they mention these file security/permission problems which clearly haven’t been resolved. Incorrect permissions also means your device is vulnerable to hacking by malicious individuals too. In these updates phrases like, An application may be able to gain elevated privileges elude to these sorts of permission problems.