Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPadOS / iOS 13 Bugs and nitpicks

tjatja
edited October 2019 in General App Discussion

I'm just listing what i dislike and will expand on this list if new things happen.

1. The onscreen display does not show point "." and colon "," anymore. Instead, i see "!" and "?".
  2. I seem to be unable to arrange the tabs in Safari anymore. They get disattached as slideover windows instead and are not movable and sortable anymore.
  3. The Siri functionalities for all Apps are now hidden in a separate folder for each App, which makes it impossible to find those Apps that accidentally are showing up in a search. You need to check any and all Apps one by one! This is even worse than before, which was already a catastrophe.
  4. On iPhone i seem to be unable to request a desktop version in Safari
  5. The magnifier for selecting the exact place for the cursor while editing text seems to be gone, i have massive problems editing things

That's my first impression

Comments

• I also wanted to make a list, but then who reads such stuff? 😄

But I found a solution to the "position the cursor" problem: you can now DIRECTLY grab the cursor with your finger and move it to the desired position. Not sure if it's better or worse than the magnifier.

• tjatja
    edited September 2019

@SevenSystems said:
    I also wanted to make a list, but then who reads such stuff? 😄

But I found a solution to the "position the cursor" problem: you can now DIRECTLY grab the cursor with your finger and move it to the desired position. Not sure if it's better or worse than the magnifier.

Yes, found that, but somehow my finger then always blocks my view. The magnifier was better for me, unless there is some non-intuitive way to use this new method in a better way

EDIT: Found that i can more freely move around and that helps. Maybe i can get used to that.

• After you detach a tab in safari you can move it and drop it back to sort :)
    For moving the cursor long tap on space bar and use it as a mouse or simply tap where you want the cursor to be, way easier than iOS12.

What language are you using? I see no difference in the Keyboard compared to iOS12.
    Improvements are that quick type and suggestions work for more languages now :)

Even when you select desktop site many we pages adapt to screen size, dynamic layouts.
    You can see this effect even on desktop when resizing the window.

For me the Pro’s outweigh the naggies by far.

Then again what is a ‘catastrophy’ for one user is a minor annoyance to others.

iPadOS is simply the best iOS update to date, period :)

• @tja said:
    I'm just listing what i dislike and will expand on this list if new things happen.

1. The onscreen display does not show point "." and colon "," anymore. Instead, i see "!" and "?".

I get the full stop and comma on the keyboard.

1. I seem to be unable to arrange the tabs in Safari anymore. They get disattached as slideover windows instead and are not movable and sortable anymore.

I’ve just tried and it works for me. In fact there’s extra functionality to sort the tabs if you long press on the tab title:

1. The Siri functionalities for all Apps are now hidden in a separate folder for each App, which makes it impossible to find those Apps that accidentally are showing up in a search. You need to check any and all Apps one by one! This is even worse than before, which was already a catastrophe.

I have no idea what you mean, sorry. can you elaborate? In what context?

1. On iPhone i seem to be unable to request a desktop version in Safari

I haven’t upgraded my iPhone yet.

1. The magnifier for selecting the exact place for the cursor while editing text seems to be gone, i have massive problems editing things

So far I’m absolutely loving the new editing. I found selecting text a complete PIA up until iPadOS 13.1. Selections used to jump around like crazy. Now it works like it always should have done.

with regards to the magnifying glass, I think it has gone. the new selection method has taken its place. Which I’m personally very happy with so far. I hadn’t really noticed The magnifying glass missing as I’ve not used it for years; on the iPad I just hold down the space bar then use the keyboard area as a trackpad to move the cursor. My iPhone has 3D Touch which works by pressing down anywhere in the keyboard and then using the keyboard as a trackpad. I think the new iPhone 11s have ditched 3D Touch so you have to hold down on the space bar on those.

And you can indeed just grab the cursor and move it where you like. The cursor jumps out of the way if your finger and increases in size and gets bolder to make it easier to position.

My eyes aren’t as good as they used to be but so far it’s working ok for me.

And I’ll say it again, I think the new text selection is great.

That's my first impression

So far, I’m very impressed. I like what I see. audio units seem to be behaving a lot better too. I’m liking the new double tap with three fingers to get a menu with undo/redo/cut/copy/paste. I hadn’t read about that and it’s pretty cool... much better than shaking the iPad. God that was a stupid feature! 😂

I’m sure I will find lots of annoyances as I use it more, but so far so good.

• tjatja
    edited September 2019

@Samu said:
    After you detach a tab in safari you can move it and drop it back to sort :)

Cannot do that.
    Testing again, it seems to work for the middle tabs, but I wanted to move tabs to the right, even rightmost position.
    Does not work for me.

For moving the cursor long tap on space bar and use it as a mouse or simply tap where you want the cursor to be, way easier than iOS12.

Yes, found that. Maybe I can adopt :smile:

What language are you using? I see no difference in the Keyboard compared to iOS12.
    Improvements are that quick type and suggestions work for more languages now :)

I will try with different languages and the keyboard setting.
    By default, after the update those signs are visibly gone, but they still work!

Even when you select desktop site many we pages adapt to screen size, dynamic layouts.
    You can see this effect even on desktop when resizing the window.

For me the Pro’s outweigh the naggies by far.

Then again what is a ‘catastrophy’ for one user is a minor annoyance to others.

That "catastrophe" was meant for the way to disable Siri search for the individual Apps.
    It already was a catastrophe, because you need to do this App by App and there is no single toggle for this, like for background activity. And now it is much worse, as you cannot see if it is still enabled or not. You need to enter each single folder.

iPadOS is simply the best iOS update to date, period :)

Beside my above nitpicks, I also like it.
    :smile:

I even ordered an Xbox One controller....

• tjatja
    edited September 2019

@klownshed Please have a look at what I wrote to Samu.

About Siri, I already explained it a bit better. But I can later add a screenshot (on a different iPad now).

I directly disabled any new gestures, as usual.

Don't need that and I also never came to the idea to shake the iPad or iPhone :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

EDIT: It seems, those gestures cannot be completely disabled. Another nitpick...

Switching iPads now and adding a screenshot:

More clear?

Before iOS 13, you could easily see the current configuration for each App already in the list - so you could relatively fast find that need to be fixed.

• edited September 2019

@tja

That "catastrophe" was meant for the way to disable Siri search for the individual Apps.
    It already was a catastrophe, because you need to do this App by App and there is no single toggle for this, like for background activity. And now it is much worse, as you cannot see if it is still enabled or not. You need to enter each single folder.

Ok got it. It is a pain to have to turn off sir settings per individual apps, yes. There should be a toggle for each app not just the global turn it all off settings.

• tjatja
    edited September 2019

About the missing punctuation, this is triggered by the setting "Key Flicks" for the keyboards, it seems.

If i enable this (and also disable Caps Lock, which will not be related), everything is OK!

Have it now like this:

• Press the double A in the URL bar and you’ll see the option to request the desktop site on iOS 13

• I was meaning to write something positive about iOS 13.1 here, but half of the website kept disappearing and flashing and when I entered the textfield, the keyboard froze 🤪

Anyway, when it works, it's great! Browsing my remote webservers over SSH just like on a Mac is quite nice (when it doesn't crash while scrolling 😉).

And it seems like spell checking STILL can't be disabled, at all.

BUT: They are DEFINITELY meaning well 😁

• @YZJustDatGuy said:
    Press the double A in the URL bar and you’ll see the option to request the desktop site on iOS 13

Oh, phantastic!!!

Many thanks.

Perfectly hidden by Apple :p

• @tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:
    Press the double A in the URL bar and you’ll see the option to request the desktop site on iOS 13

Oh, phantastic!!!

Many thanks.

Sometimes you just gotta press all the buttons 😂

• tjatja
    edited September 2019

@SevenSystems :D

But ssh is not build in, or?
    If you had an App that allows this (i see FileExplorer), it should also work for iOS 11 or 12.
    Or?

Luckily, i had no crashes so far.
    I even think about updating my Pro 12.9 2nd gen.... but i try to wait longer

EDIT: Yes, the spellchecking is annoying.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

Oh, phantastic!!!

Many thanks.

Nowadays, you also need to try 2 fingers, 3 fingers, sliding left right up or down with 1, 2 or 3 fingers, tapping with 1, 2, or 3 fingers, double tapping in all combinations and of course also pressing hard for 3D touch and so on.

It's a mess

• @tja said:
    @SevenSystems :D

But ssh is not build in, or?
    If you had an App that allows this (i see FileExplorer), it should also work for iOS 11 or 12.

Yes, it's via FileExplorer... amazing app, supports virtually all protocols. Yes it already worked and presented itself as a "Files" extension, but Files now has this lovely hierarchical folder navigation!

Granted, I had to restart Files a few times until the Xequence 2 folder finally appeared, but hey... this is the nitpick thread right? 😇

• @tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

Oh, phantastic!!!

Many thanks.

Nowadays, you also need to try 2 fingers, 3 fingers, sliding left right up or down with 1, 2 or 3 fingers, tapping with 1, 2, or 3 fingers, double tapping in all combinations and of course also pressing hard for 3D touch and so on.

It's a mess

That's why you love Xequence so much, admit it. Stubbornly sticking to single-tap, non-swipe, every-feature-has-a-button just like in 1980 😊

• @SevenSystems said:

@tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

Oh, phantastic!!!

Many thanks.

It's a mess

That's why you love Xequence so much, admit it. Stubbornly sticking to single-tap, non-swipe, every-feature-has-a-button just like in 1980 😊

Yes!
    Yes!
    Yes!

Those multi-multiple ways are NOT a good idea!
    Apple should have controlled that - and i'm one who is normally against control.
    Anyway...

• It seems, i used to test FileExplorer but then used File Browser instead, for some reason.

File Browser does not speak ssh, which i normally do with GoodReader or directly with Textastic.
    Going to check FileExplorer again! :smile:

• Oh! I got one: how about the way the email app no longer remembers which columns were open when it was last used? I think I actually prefer the new keyboard and editing though. Hope to see the 2 and 3 finger gesture improved so it is only invoked when appropriate, or is that fixed? I haven’t tried, for now just keeping it off.

• @ZenLizard said:
    Oh! I got one: how about the way the email app no longer remembers which columns were open when it was last used? I think I actually prefer the new keyboard and editing though. Hope to see the 2 and 3 finger gesture improved so it is only invoked when appropriate, or is that fixed? I haven’t tried, for now just keeping it off.

Interesting.
    On my Air 3, i have no mail servers configured, so far. Cannot test by now

• @tja: Just checked again and it's via SFTP... isn't that the same, i.e. FTP over an SSH tunnel? Systems administration is NOT my main job 😄

Anyway, bedtime! Sorry for the nitpicking Apple! You're on the right path! 😉😉😉

• @ZenLizard said:
    Oh! I got one: how about the way the email app no longer remembers which columns were open when it was last used? I think I actually prefer the new keyboard and editing though. Hope to see the 2 and 3 finger gesture improved so it is only invoked when appropriate, or is that fixed? I haven’t tried, for now just keeping it off.

I believe its fixed to only happen when theres text selection going on

• I was hoping to be able to compare 2 photos side by side on iPadOS but it doesn’t seem to be possible. I would expect this to be a pretty popular request. Or is there another app for that?

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@ZenLizard said:

The heuristics that Apple employs to determine if "text stuff is going on" don't seem to be fully reliable though.

For example in Xequence's keyboard, it is mostly fixed, EXCEPT when there has EVER been a "text input situation" since the app has been launched. Then, when playing a three finger chord, the popup will appear with a single button "Undo".

But I have a plan. Just saying that I don't think the problem will be solved in all apps without the developers doing additional work.

• tjatja
    edited September 2019

@SevenSystems said:
    @tja: Just checked again and it's via SFTP... isn't that the same, i.e. FTP over an SSH tunnel? Systems administration is NOT my main job 😄

SFTP is like SCP/SSH

FTPS is FTP over SSL, as far as i remember.

• @SevenSystems said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@ZenLizard said:

The heuristics that Apple employs to determine if "text stuff is going on" don't seem to be fully reliable though.

For example in Xequence's keyboard, it is mostly fixed, EXCEPT when there has EVER been a "text input situation" since the app has been launched. Then, when playing a three finger chord, the popup will appear with a single button "Undo".

But I have a plan. Just saying that I don't think the problem will be solved in all apps without the developers doing additional work.

Yea I've heard that developers have the option to disable it completely but inside of BM3 I couldn't get it to pop up at all

• @Munibeast said:
    I was hoping to be able to compare 2 photos side by side on iPadOS but it doesn’t seem to be possible. I would expect this to be a pretty popular request. Or is there another app for that?

Have a look at

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/twinviewer/id531595249?l=en

• @Munibeast said:
    I was hoping to be able to compare 2 photos side by side on iPadOS but it doesn’t seem to be possible. I would expect this to be a pretty popular request. Or is there another app for that?

You could open the two images in 2 separate tabs of the browser and switch between them to compare. If necessary, upload the photos to some site for opening in browser.

• edited September 2019

Hmmm...

Synthmaster One required a reinstall for me on my 2017 iPad.

• @tja said:

@SevenSystems said:
    @tja: Just checked again and it's via SFTP... isn't that the same, i.e. FTP over an SSH tunnel? Systems administration is NOT my main job 😄

SFTP is like SCP/SSH

FTPS is FTP over SSL, as far as i remember.

Correct.