Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

miRack by mifki Limited - Live!!!

Comments

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@0tolerance4silence said:
    Not to take anything away from this incredible achievement... I'm totally sold and huge fan of miRack...
    But at this point I'd like to hear an assessment from vcv rack developer or @mifki what they think is the reason for such difference. Like I said, I'm a fan, I just don't believe in miRackls... you can cut corners but sooner or later it will bite you in the back. Be it audio or other internal shortcuts.
    What would be the point for 3rd party developers to release stuff for vcv instead of miRack?
    I hope no one gets offended, I'm genuinely curious.

Best to let sleeping dogs lie. There is a lot of bad blood from at least one of the original VCV developers over the iOS version. Best not to kick that hornet's nest.

+ other mixed metaphors if I could think of any more right now.

[edit ... "Don't poke the bear." That's the other one I was trying to think of. :D ]

• I would love to be able> @0tolerance4silence said:

Not to take anything away from this incredible achievement... I'm totally sold and huge fan of miRack...
    But at this point I'd like to hear an assessment from vcv rack developer or @mifki what they think is the reason for such difference. Like I said, I'm a fan, I just don't believe in miRackls... you can cut corners but sooner or later it will bite you in the back. Be it audio or other internal shortcuts.
    What would be the point for 3rd party developers to release stuff for vcv instead of miRack?
    I hope no one gets offended, I'm genuinely curious.

It's not about cutting corners, it's about knowing how to write efficient code. I've also heard from several people that the graphics/UI code in VCVrack is pretty bad.

• @stellare_modular it’s set to 8, and the number reported by the activity monitor fluctuated between 17 and 18

• @wim
    I agree and I have no intention to increase tensions.
    I'm only curious about hard facts... I'm happy to compromise especially if I know the gains and losses.
    I know reason have no place in the world of sentiment but at the end of the day it's a win-win for all of us.

• @NoiseFloored said:
    @stellare_modular it’s set to 8, and the number reported by the activity monitor fluctuated between 17 and 18

vcv rack has a weird way of using multi threading... it allocates most the app could use but it does not mean its actually using it. best would be to set the nr of threads to 2 and then make the comparison. but maybe @mifki could explain better.

• edited May 2020

@cian said:
    It's not about cutting corners, it's about knowing how to write efficient code.

This is what I find hard to imagine... vcv which is a collective effort several years in development... I'd assume its dev knows every aspect of the code yet ignores all input regarding optimisation?

I've also heard from several people that the graphics/UI code in VCVrack is pretty bad.

That's something... thanks!

• edited May 2020

@stellare_modular got it! I gave that a try, it's definitely an improvement:

Another interesting thing is the GPU%. VCV's seems to increase linearly with fps and window size, 60 fps in a 2560x1440 window gets to ~80%, reducing the window to one half of the screen or lowering fps to 30 brings it to ~40%. miRack's refresh rate can't be set (though it appears to be 30+), with a 2560x1440 window it never goes above 12%.

• @0tolerance4silence said:

@cian said:
    It's not about cutting corners, it's about knowing how to write efficient code.

This is what I find hard to imagine... vcv which is a collective effort several years in development... I'd assume its dev knows every aspect of the code yet ignores all input regarding optimisation?

Optimization is hard, most developers aren't very good at it. It also may not have been a priority. Without knowing the codebase I can't comment on this instance - but all kinds of collective programming efforts, including expensive commercial software, can be poorly optimized.

• @mifki said:
    miRack is now available as a free macOS app http://mifki.com/blog/mirack-is-now-available-on-macos-10-15/

WOW! Amazing! Fantastic work!

• By the way, I posted this comparison without any intention of taking away all the good things the VCV project has done, and I agree with @wim that it's better in general to keep both projects on their own separate tracks. As a programmer this kind of thing is just fascinating to me :)

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@mifki said:

@Samu said:
    Cool, out of curiosity, will this also support Audio Units on macOS when the AUv3 supports comes for iPadOS?
    (Just downloaded the app for macOS to give it a spin and it's so far working great).

Depends. I can get it to work in GarageBand/Logic but not in other DAWs that supposedly support AU.

Hi @mifki - first of all, thanks so much for this! It's so fun to have it running on my Mac. B)

Is it possible to use as an AU in GarageBand Mac in this version, or were you talking about in your own developer builds only? If in this version, can you say how to set it up so that GarageBand sees it?

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@NoiseFloored said:
    By the way, I posted this comparison without any intention of taking away all the good things the VCV project has done, and I agree with @wim that it's better in general to keep both projects on their own separate tracks. As a programmer this kind of thing is just fascinating to me :)

Well, honestly, performance comparison was my first impulse too. You just beat me to it. :D

I see no harm in shooting the breeze about it. (Seems I can't write a post today without some kind of metaphor.) It just seems like something to try to do in such a way that it doesn't bruise any egos. Not everyone is aware of the original drama, so I thought I'd mention it just in case. ;)

• edited May 2020

I think a healthy competition between developers is a good thing, especially when it's about things like performance - it helps us all to find better solutions for coding problems (code for miRack multithreading implementation and UI changes is public).

I don't really know about VCV multithreading implementation, I've never looked at that code. But I must say that the better UI performance (some of it at least) of miRack does come at a cost - it doesn't have some of the visual effects and looks not as pretty as VCV in some places, and it does have a lower framerate (noticeable in scopes, etc., I should probably make this configurable). Whether fancier visuals is a good reason for a music app to fry your laptop is a separate question. Other than that, there are changes to use OpenGL in a more efficient way (make much less separate calls).

• @mifki said:
    I think a healthy competition between developers is a good thing, especially when it's about things like performance - it helps us all to find better solutions for coding problems (code for miRack multithreading implementation and UI changes is public).

I don't really know about VCV multithreading implementation, I've never looked at that code. But I must say that the better UI performance (some of it at least) of miRack does come at a cost - it doesn't have some of the visual effects and looks not as pretty as VCV in some places, and it does have a lower framerate (noticeable in scopes, etc., I should probably make this configurable). Whether fancier visuals is a good reason for a music app to fry your laptop is a separate question.

Thank you for your response.
    If all/most difference comes from the visuals than it's really a no brainier, at least for me. Also huge respect for your multithreading implementation and keeping it public.

• edited May 2020

@mifki are there any chances that multi channel audio i/o will be supported in future updates?

• I need an ultra overwhelm reducer, like I get how to rock this in a basic manner. As a newbie, the patches made b4 have been the most helpful. I still don't know how or why they connected those modules... Then I look at the best yet scariest list ever andante just lost.... a relaxed help like undulations style... shoutout. Still best app for true modular as my friends say, but still 'digital' and I do get the tactile cable thing they love as do i. Cheers!

• Omg thx @mifki just downloaded Auv3 update. I’m happy like a child now.

• edited May 2020

It's there...

👏👏👏

• @mifki Wow! miRack just keeps growing + going.. thanks for this AU version + for the desktop version.. miRack is everywhere.. in a big way.. awesome work!

• Thanks @mifki 👍🏼

• @mifki
    Highlight of the buttons (LRN, MAP etc) doesn't work in AU version. Air3 13.4.1

• awesome on MacOS , and you can swap patches from ipadOS so easy. great great work

• So excited to use this as an AUv3!

Perfect timing, too... Half an hour left at work then I hit the studio >:)

• Oh man, I wish this was available on Windows, because I'm not updating my MacBook from Mojave. iPad all the way for now.

Congrats to @mifki on a great achievement.

• This is really great to have as an AUv3, thanks @mifki :)

• State save works perfectly in AUM. Behavior was a little weird in NS2 where all controls were highlighted and I couldn't turn it off. Will look again later I'm sure it's user error.

I really have no excuses now to not use this and try to learn modular synthesis better lol..

• MiRack has taught me everything I wanted to know about Eurorack before actually buying physical Eurorack module. I've learnt a shit load and still having fun doing so. This is someone who bought Audulus, Model 15, and Drambo.

So on one hand, between the MiRack (also vcv, but it's a hog on my computer) and Modulargrid.com, I'm convinced that I definitely cannot jump in at those costs. The cheapest rack I can create is basically a Microfreak but 6X the cost.

But on the other hand, I'm getting a grasp of how to make some wicked boxes that do not exist anywhere in 1 ready-to-buy-box. I'm hella intrigued to make one.

So yeah, MiRack a great learning tool, but if I go broke as a junkie, and can't pay my kids' university tuition... I'm blaming @mifki for supplying the gateway drug.

• Great @mifki
    Awesome job!

• Nice.

• I can not believe this. Thank you! @mifki