Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

miRack coming to iOS.

Comments

• @cuezaireekaa said:
    Has anyone imported any patches from vcv to mirack yet? I got one to work but it was outdated, or from an older build I believe.
    ive just been playing around with some simple setups for now till I can disect a massive patch and see how it works. :)
    I just changed it to a dot vcv file instead of a .txt, and put it in the MiRack folder in Files. Just wondering if there is a better way or a better place to download files from, other than patchstorage and my extension changing method.

Was wondering same if importing works. Need to try this.

Same @Jumpercollins was confused about deleting modules until I discovered 'right-click.'

• edited September 2019

@auxmux said:

@cuezaireekaa said:
    Has anyone imported any patches from vcv to mirack yet? I got one to work but it was outdated, or from an older build I believe.
    ive just been playing around with some simple setups for now till I can disect a massive patch and see how it works. :)
    I just changed it to a dot vcv file instead of a .txt, and put it in the MiRack folder in Files. Just wondering if there is a better way or a better place to download files from, other than patchstorage and my extension changing method.

Same @Jumpercollins was confused about deleting modules until I discovered 'right-click.'

Reference importing it’s finding a patch that the current modules match up with. Tried one off patch storage but it converted it saying it was a old version and didn’t give me any cables !

I’m still pretty new to modular so little steps I think.

I’m pretty impressed with the amount of modules this comes with some of them look very exciting and makes you want to learn it and dive in. It even comes with a semi modular synth module. Also bouncy balls ! Be interesting to see what it comes out with at launch.

• For tutorials this guy is pretty good. Be aware a lot of the videos show the older pre 1.0 version of VCV rack.

• @mogue said:
    I wonder if it will be possible to connect a DC-coupled audio interface to the iPad and miRack in order to give the iPad CV in/out and interface virtual modules with a Behringer Neutron or a Moog Grandmother, for example.

ZMors Modular will handle the CV.

• @auxmux said:

@cuezaireekaa said:

If you have the ‘Shortcuts’ app, there’s a script that will allow you to download directly into the miRack folder. The process is described in the following post in the Audulus forum but works exactly the same:

https://forum.audulus.com/t/new-to-the-audulus-forum-read-this-first/1062

• @Aud_iOS said:

@mogue said:
    I wonder if it will be possible to connect a DC-coupled audio interface to the iPad and miRack in order to give the iPad CV in/out and interface virtual modules with a Behringer Neutron or a Moog Grandmother, for example.

Excellent! I wasn't aware that iPad CV out had already been done. Now it just remains to be seen whether miRack will support an appropriate output module.

• @mogue said:

@Aud_iOS said:

@mogue said:

Excellent! I wasn't aware that iPad CV out had already been done. Now it just remains to be seen whether miRack will support an appropriate output module.

CV Mod is another https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cv-mod/id1406207229 - Do we have any AUv3 CV tho?

• edited September 2019

Brute LFO is another app using audio out as cv output.

Brute LFO - Analog Synth Modulation par Justus Kandzi

The problem with these, that doesn’t seem to be mentioned for CV Mod is the voltage range limitation inherent to line out level.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@auxmux said:

@cuezaireekaa said:

If you have the ‘Shortcuts’ app, there’s a script that will allow you to download directly into the miRack folder. The process is described in the following post in the Audulus forum but works exactly the same:

https://forum.audulus.com/t/new-to-the-audulus-forum-read-this-first/1062

Sweet, nice tip bastard! Thanksya

• edited September 2019

@Philippe said:
    The problem with these, that doesn’t seem to be mentioned for CV Mod is the voltage range limitation inherent to line out level.

This is overcome by using an audio interface with DC coupled outputs (or inputs), like those listed on the zMors website:

App is tested with external hardware:
    Expert Sleepers ES-8
    AudioDamage Odio
    Endorphin.es - Shuttle Control
    Scarlett 18i20 and Expert Sleepers ES3
    RME Babyface and Expert Sleepers ES3
    MiniDSP USB Streamer Box and Expert Sleepers ES3/ES6

• edited September 2019

Hello everyone, miRack developer is here to answer some of your questions and concerns.

1. Licences, etc. First thing I want to make it clear that miRack is a separate project, it was forked from VCV Rack in around January 2018 and initially was being developed for SBCs like Raspberry Pi. VCV Rack was BSD-licensed back then with the exception of component and some module graphics - all that has been redone as required. The Rack code itself has been almost fully rewritten to add multithreaded audio processing (which VCV Rack didn't have back then) and to fix horrible UI performance and CPU usage.

Please do not call this "VCV Rack for iOS" because it's not affiliated with VCV, not allowed to use VCV name and just happens to use the same API and therefore module packs.

This should also answer the question about syncing with VCV accounts - nope.

Open-source modules are and will be included first, then if everything goes well, I can discuss with authors of proprietary modules the possibilities to make them available on iOS. Yes, all the modules must be bundled with the app due to the inability to load additional executables on iOS.

2. Because of 1., miRack uses the same file format internally and should be able to open VCV Rack 0.6 files. Although this is not very useful at the moment because there will most likely be a lot of missing modules.

3. In the latest beta sent to the testers, I added MIDI input and background audio support. So this will be available in the first version.

When talking about AUv3 and AudioBus, my main concern is the performance. Many VCV Rack modules are being developed to accurately simulate real hardware and are quite CPU-intensive. I'd say miRack CPU usage is higher than other audio processing apps developed specifically for mobile devices from scratch. Of course it depends solely on the size of the patch and specific modules it contains so it's up to the user. But when miRack is the only app running, I know what to expect in terms of available resources, for example I can implement CPU metering to advise users how much of the available CPU their patch is using. If I allow miRack to run inside other apps, I'm afraid I may start getting complaints about poor performance, so I'd prefer not to do that until I do more tests and understand what modules/patch sizes people are having in mobile environment and what other audio processing they're interested in running alongside miRack.

Feel free to ask anything else or repeat your question in case I missed something on the previous pages.

• edited September 2019

@mifki welcome in community ! Great project, your effort is extremely appreciated here ;)

regarding cpu concerns - there are already huge CPU eaters as AUv3 and people accepted it and do use resampling in host app .. good example is Moog Model 15 :) Latest iPad models are already pretty powerful devices and they are still evolving ;)

my main concern regarding AUv3 compatibility would be UI related (various viewport sizes/formats in various hosts) not CPU power related..

On other side, more i think about complexity which can arise from patches, maybe just simple audio recorder module, capable to save recorded audio , would solve many use cases and will postpone need of AUv3 or AB support ;)

• Hi @mifki

Welcome to the forum, I’ve taken out the reference to VCV rack in my first comment to stop peoples confusion some what. I’m pretty impressed so far what this has to offer. To have these modular building capabilities on a iPad with the pick mobility that’s gives you is great. Just as a sketch pad for building modular ideas or in my case learning about how to use modular in the first place this app is gonna be very helpful so thank you for bring it to iOS.

I can understand why you want to take a cautious approach to IAA,AB,AUv3 integration. Glad you haven’t ruled it out completely.

Would love to see a module that has AU hosting similar to ZMors Modular has had for a years now.

• @dendy said:
    what the fuck is with her hand ?!! 😱

Her hand is fine. It's her arm that's freaky. LOL :p

• @mifki thanks for the great work. I'm super impressed with the quality of beta and actually it runs in some ways better than latest VCV rack on my latest i9 macbook pro. I'm wondering if you have plans to add some more modules from this packages (I'm not sure which ones of those are open source):

• geodesics
    • dBiz
    • nysthi (at least some modules)
    • surge for rack
    • valley (plateau in particular)

Will mirack app be free when released? If it is free, how can we donate to support development?

Is it possible to add a simple audio recording module so we can record and export audio file to a DAW? As far as I understand right now the only option is to use audio out and record to a laptop/other device?

Again thanks for this app! Amazing job!

• If it is free, how can we donate to support development?

THIS ! Wanted to ask same question !

Is it possible to add a simple audio recording module so we can record and export audio file to a DAW

:+1:

• Why would it be free?

Do we know how far this is from release? @mifki

• With core midi and all the cool MIDI apps it is dope!
    Here's a short example of what you can do on 4-years old ipad pro without getting any close to CPU limits

• @dendy said:

If it is free, how can we donate to support development?

THIS ! Wanted to ask same question !

Is it possible to add a simple audio recording module so we can record and export audio file to a DAW

:+1:

+2

Verrrry impressive so far.

• edited September 2019

It won't be free but will be priced lower than similar apps since I'm only developing the engine and optimising some of the modules. You can always donate to module authors:)

Audio recording is the most requested feature, so it will be added (either via a recorder module or via AudioBus support) in one of the first updates. The plan now is to release the first version with the current features as soon as there are no major issues. I found what's causing the problem with audio on 2018 iPad Pro devices and hopefully fixed it, so we're getting close.

Surely I'll keep adding modules. Again, the plan is to release with the current set and add more in regular updates.

@ipadmusic Awesome! May I repost?

• @mifki sure, I'll record more later :smiley:

• @mifki Very cool info. Thanks!

• @ipadmusic said:
    With core midi and all the cool MIDI apps it is dope!
    Here's a short example of what you can do on 4-years old ipad pro without getting any close to CPU limits

@ipadmusic

Great patch I haven’t got that advanced yet but good to see what can be achieved on a older iPad.

• Here's a screenshot from my old video benchmarking miRack on 6th gen iPad showing three copies of this patch: http://patchstorage.com/wales (unfortunately AS modules are not available in miRack currently, and neither is a CPU meter I had back then). Again though keep in mind that other modules may (and likely are) more CPU-intensive, so your mileage may vary.

• edited September 2019

@mifki that CPU meter would be nice to have in final app too :) Just to know how much i can afford to add until i "hit the wall" :-)

It won't be free but will be priced lower than similar apps since I'm only developing the engine and optimising some of the module

don't sell your work too cheap ;) as i know this community there will be a lot requests :-))

• Welcome to the forum @mifki!

• IMO, if you add nothing more than Audiobus (preferably with state-saving) , you don't have to write an audio recorder and file management for the recordings as people will be able to route to their preferred recorder.

You will probably want to mention in App Store description that mirack is intended to take over the iPad and turn it into a virtual synth rack to help people understand its scope.

• @mifki Do you plan to add support for multi-channel audio output, for use with an audio interface such as the Expert Sleepers ES 8? I can see that this is a capability present in the Audulus app, at least, so there should not be any issues in terms of hardware or iOS.

I have heard a few Eurorack enthusiasts state that they will buy an iPad solely for this app, if this capability is present, and I don't think that will be an uncommon sentiment!

• @mogue said:
    @mifki Do you plan to add support for multi-channel audio output, for use with an audio interface such as the Expert Sleepers ES 8? I can see that this is a capability present in the Audulus app, at least, so there should not be any issues in terms of hardware or iOS.

I have heard a few Eurorack enthusiasts state that they will buy an iPad solely for this app, if this capability is present, and I don't think that will be an uncommon sentiment!

+1

• @mogue said:
    @mifki Do you plan to add support for multi-channel audio output, for use with an audio interface such as the Expert Sleepers ES 8? I can see that this is a capability present in the Audulus app, at least, so there should not be any issues in terms of hardware or iOS.

Multi-channel capability would be amazing. I'd love to use this with ES8 eventually, even though I don't have it yet. Also, welcome @mifki, will have to try the new core midi support tonight.

Also, I agree that hosting AU either as oscillators or fx within miRack would be fantastic. I can imagine Ripplemaker in here like modular inception.