Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

miRack coming to iOS.

Comments

• @mifki are the third-party modules taken from the v0.6 branches of their respective codebases?

• @mifki said:

@reasOne said:
    Awesome man!! Thank you!!
    Does it open in AUM or audiobus ??

Not at the moment. Please read the post I linked http://mifki.com/blog/version-1-0-of-mirack-is-finalised-and-heres-what-it-will-have/ for a list of what's there and what's planned.

Fwiw, I think if you do audio out via AudioBus you will future-proof the app as @Michael intends to keep AB working post-IAA.

• edited September 2019

@mifki I’m sure this is a long shot, but can patches created in mirack, be exported and opened on the desktop in VCV rack?

• @mifki

Re: “Multichannel audio output. Currently only stereo output is available but adding more channels is planned and requested for interfacing with Eurorack modules like ES-8.”

Is interfacing with the combo modules ES-3 & ES-6 a seperate issue from the planned ES-8 module update?

If so, can I place an interface request for the ES-3 & ES-6 modules here?

• @jipumarino said:
    @mifki are the third-party modules taken from the v0.6 branches of their respective codebases?

Yes. I will update them to latest versions but I guess this is not as high priority as other more requested features.

@skiphunt said:
    I’m sure this is a long shot, but can patches created in mirack, be exported and opened on the desktop in VCV rack?

Actually it's not a problem - miRack is still using .vcv format internally and miRack patch is just a container with .vcv file inside. I'm not advertising this ability at the moment though as I need to do more testing to ensure compatibility. The other way round is possible, too (and not officially supported, too), but of course there will most likely be a lot of missing modules.

@Kandavu said:
    @mifki
    Is interfacing with the combo modules ES-3 & ES-6 a seperate issue from the planned ES-8 module update?

Well, I don't have ES modules, so I can't say for sure, but I guess it is separate. First of all, I understand ES-8 with USB interface, but how ES-3/6 are going to be connected to iPad?

• ok yes, just managed to open that "Wales" 0.6 VCV patch from dropbox :). Although first try seemed to crash the app.

• @Carnbot said:
    ok yes, just managed to open that "Wales" 0.6 VCV patch from dropbox :). Although first try seemed to crash the app.

Unfortunately "AS" module pack that's used in Wales is not available in miRack at the moment.

• @mifki said:

@Carnbot said:
    ok yes, just managed to open that "Wales" 0.6 VCV patch from dropbox :). Although first try seemed to crash the app.

Unfortunately "AS" module pack that's used in Wales is not available in miRack at the moment.

It sounds an interesting patch without it anyway though, what is the AS module? :)

• edited September 2019

@mifki said:

@jipumarino said:
    @mifki are the third-party modules taken from the v0.6 branches of their respective codebases?

Yes. I will update them to latest versions but I guess this is not as high priority as other more requested features.

@skiphunt said:
    I’m sure this is a long shot, but can patches created in mirack, be exported and opened on the desktop in VCV rack?

Actually it's not a problem - miRack is still using .vcv format internally and miRack patch is just a container with .vcv file inside. I'm not advertising this ability at the moment though as I need to do more testing to ensure compatibility. The other way round is possible, too (and not officially supported, too), but of course there will most likely be a lot of missing modules.

@Kandavu said:
    @mifki

Well, I don't have ES modules, so I can't say for sure, but I guess it is separate. First of all, I understand ES-8 with USB interface, but how ES-3/6 are going to be connected to iPad?

In general class compliant multi-channel audio interface support should cover support for ES devices I think? As well as any other interfaces.

• @mifki said:

@jipumarino said:

@skiphunt said:

@Kandavu said:
    @mifki

@mifki
    This is the usb interface that I have.

• @auxmux said:

@mifki said:

@jipumarino said:

@skiphunt said:

@Kandavu said:
    @mifki

In general class compliant multi-channel audio interface support should cover support for ES devices I think? As well as any other interfaces.

That seems to be true. Quite a few people use ES-8 with Audulus which doesn't have any sort of ES-specific code.

• So what happens if you now try using any of these modules with the stereo output miRack has?

• ES-3 and some other ES modules can work as a lightpipe extension for ES-8 adding more inputs/outputs to ES-8. iPad is interacting with class-compliant ES-8 and from app developers it doesn't require special efforts to support ES extension modules unless there're enough inputs/outputs.

• edited September 2019

Yes, all that @mifki needs to do is provide Audio Output modules with 8 and 16 channels. The rest is handled by iOS and will function the same whether you are using an ES-8 as an audio interface, connecting an ES3/6 to your existing interface via S/PDIF, or using another interface with DC-coupled hardware.

As long as the multichannel audio interface is supported by iOS, all miRack has to do is pass along the CV on the appropriate channel.

@mifki said:
    So what happens if you now try using any of these modules with the stereo output miRack has?

It should work just fine, but then you won't be able to use miRack for actual stereo audio output of course.

• @mifki said:

@jipumarino said:

Thanks for the reply! Definitely not high priority, I was only concerned that we could be “stuck” with old versions (with their bugs and possibly fewer modules)

• edited September 2019

Now this is out now guys let’s kill this thread and follow this one. Saves jumping between the 2.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34790/mirack-by-mifki-limited-live#latest

• Working good here so far. Great initial release. Fantastic job.

• @skiphunt said:

Oh, well that’s interesting indeed!

So you could get something sketched out on the iPad, export the patch to the desktop and add more modules and record from there.

Cool 😎

• @mifki said:
    So what happens if you now try using any of these modules with the stereo output miRack has?

It uses only outputs 1 and 2 - here's the picture:

• @ipadmusic said:

@mifki said:

It uses only outputs 1 and 2 - here's the picture:

That's expected :) But does it work ok? Just want to understand is it only about the number of channels or something else needs to be done.

• @mifki is there a way to temporarily lock the rack view. With the iPad being a multitouch interface, I want to adjust two or more knobs at the same time however the rack view scrolls instead.

• @philowerx said:
    @mifki is there a way to temporarily lock the rack view. With the iPad being a multitouch interface, I want to adjust two or more knobs at the same time however the rack view scrolls instead.

multitouch isn't supported yet, it's on the list for updates though :)

• Anyone got a screen capture jamming in this???? Please post

• @Carnbot said:

@philowerx said:
    @mifki is there a way to temporarily lock the rack view. With the iPad being a multitouch interface, I want to adjust two or more knobs at the same time however the rack view scrolls instead.

multitouch isn't supported yet, it's on the list for updates though :)

Awesome! I love being able to tweak multiple knobs simultaneously like in iVCS3 and Ripplemaker. Wish Model 15 could do this too.

• miRack is brilliant, thanks a lot.

It seems that the MIDI-4 module doesn't work correctly in this first public version.

• edited September 2019

@ipadmusic said:
    ES-3 and some other ES modules can work as a lightpipe extension for ES-8 adding more inputs/outputs to ES-8.

I just want to clarify here that the ES-3 works as an ADAT-to-CV output converter for any audio interface, not just as an extension for the ES-8.

That means that for the majority of users here who already have an audio interface for their iPads, if that interface has a lightpipe port on it, the ES-3 by itself ($203) is definitely what should be purchased rather than a whole second audio interface in the ES-8 ($475). That way the existing interface can still be used in conjunction with the added CV outputs. Also you save about $300.

If @mifki adds multichannel audio input as well, then users might be interested in adding an ES-6 ($179) to the chain (connected to their ES-3, which would be connected to their audio interface). Then you'd have the all the outputs and inputs of the ES-8 (plus two more inputs) while retaining use of your existing audio interface and still coming out ahead in price.

That's all assuming that your existing interface doesn't already have DC-coupled inputs and/or outputs.

The ES-8 and ES-9 are more targeted to musicians who work primarily with Eurorack and are looking for a self-contained audio interface to add to their rack.

• How do you think iPad 4th gen will hold up? I think the demos sounded great and drone ish. Wow, reviews....?

• @mogue said:

@ipadmusic said:
    ES-3 and some other ES modules can work as a lightpipe extension for ES-8 adding more inputs/outputs to ES-8.

I just want to clarify here that the ES-3 works as an ADAT-to-CV output converter for any audio interface, not just as an extension for the ES-8.

That means that for the majority of users here who already have an audio interface for their iPads, if that interface has a lightpipe port on it, the ES-3 by itself ($203) is definitely what should be purchased rather than a whole second audio interface in the ES-8 ($475). That way the existing interface can still be used in conjunction with the added CV outputs. Also you save about $300.

If @mifki adds multichannel audio input as well, then users might be interested in adding an ES-6 ($179) to the chain (connected to their ES-3, which would be connected to their audio interface). Then you'd have the all the outputs and inputs of the ES-8 (plus two more inputs) while retaining use of your existing audio interface and still coming out ahead in price.

That's all assuming that your existing interface doesn't already have DC-coupled inputs and/or outputs.

The ES-8 and ES-9 are more targeted to musicians who work primarily with Eurorack and are looking for a self-contained audio interface to add to their rack.

The ES-9 has a lot of bang for the buck just as a multi-port audio interface, too, if I understand correctly.

• edited October 2019

is it possible to send external audio( say from other instruments or audio sources in Aum) into MiRack? @mifki

• @oceansinspace said:
    How do you think iPad 4th gen will hold up? I think the demos sounded great and drone ish. Wow, reviews....?

iPad 4 is out, it cannot run iOS 11 (iOS 10 max.)