Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Touchscaper from Moodscaper

Comments

• @moodscaper said:
    Hi Folks, thanks for the interest! So at long last, MIDI is coming along :smile: Thanks for your patience with this, I know lots of you guys have been super keen for me to get to this, as have I. I've done another couple of videos this morning, hopefully showing how touchscaper can be a lot of fun when controlling MPE compatible synths.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=touchscaper&sp=CAI%3D

• @Monome said:
    I didn't know this one. It looks very nice.
    Regarding the beats per bar. Is there any limit? I can only see 5 in the picture.

Beats per bar goes up to 16:

• @Monome - range is 1 to 16 beats per bar. Tempo is 20 to 250 (based on Ableton Link supported range). While I'm here... :smiley:

New MIDI demo video. Hope you don't mind me saying, but this is pretty darn close to how I'd hoped MIDI control would work out, so hope you agree :smile:

https://youtu.be/_DOJ1CQAZhU

• Really nice, @moodscaper I'm sold.

• That's cool @Monome - thanks! Just to be clear, MIDI out is in development and will be a free update. Hopefully in the next week or so, subject to me getting enough dev time. :wink:

• @moodscaper
    Dude, you are amazing.
    🤙🏻

• great stuff!

• Okay, I will definitely buy it now. I already have all your other apps.

• Thanks @CracklePot ! :smile: To be honest, the "wow factor" (with apologies if you're not that "wowed") is mostly down to really cool MPE implementations in the Moog apps - especially Animoog. Model 15 clearly has it, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out :smiley: A lot of other apps (won't name names...) have an "MPE mode" but don't really seem to offer much more than good ol' OMNI mode and poly pitch bend. Sadly, I think when most people think about MPE, they think about the Roli keyboard (no offence - great bit of kit) and the spec hasn't really evolved beyond that. I digress as per! :smile:

• @moodscaper said:
    That's cool @Monome - thanks! Just to be clear, MIDI out is in development and will be a free update. Hopefully in the next week or so, subject to me getting enough dev time. :wink:

Got it. Thanks.

@moodscaper said:
    Thanks @CracklePot ! :smile: To be honest, the "wow factor" (with apologies if you're not that "wowed") is mostly down to really cool MPE implementations in the Moog apps - especially Animoog. Model 15 clearly has it, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out :smiley: A lot of other apps (won't name names...) have an "MPE mode" but don't really seem to offer much more than good ol' OMNI mode and poly pitch bend. Sadly, I think when most people think about MPE, they think about the Roli keyboard (no offence - great bit of kit) and the spec hasn't really evolved beyond that. I digress as per! :smile:

Please, digress and name names. Inform us.

In Model 15 the magic happens here:

But I am not smart either, although I blame the scrolling in that bloated UI 😎

• Two unrelated questions:

1) What do the x-y touchpad orbit controls output in midi? Like x=cc1 and y=cc2, something like that?

2) Are slash chords possible? Say I want a progression of Emin to F#min/E to Bmin/E — is that doable?

• edited April 2020

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr - sorry for the delay in replying.

1) For XY control, it's best to set up touchscaper and the destination MIDI synth(s) to use MPE. So if you have two synths connected, one will get channel-based poly after-touch on the Y axis, and the other will get it on the X axis. Then, it's up to the destination synth(s) what they do with the poly pressure message. I've done a demo where Animoog changes cutoff frequency and Model 15 changes modulation depth. I'm still working on a non-MPE scenario, but have a few ideas. Obviously you don't have control at the individual note / channel level, as you do with MPE, but I still think there are some interesting possibilities with multi-touch control. Can't say more than that right now :smile:

• edited April 2020

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr

2) Sort of... yes, if you're willing to work within the limitations of touchscaper.

About chords...

As you probably know, the app already knows about basic 3 and 4 note chords, so if all you ever need are chords like G, Am6 and the occasional C+7 and FM7, then it's super-easy to create chord changes using chords like that.

If you want to dig deeper, you can from an advanced view:

The touchscaper radar view rings are based on octave ranges C2-C7. So if you were to add a Cm6 chord, the screenshot shows what's going on under the hood. Note that by default, the A note that makes the 6th tone is set to a lower probability, the idea being, you want to hear that 6th note, but maybe not all the time. Similarly, in the lower octaves, higher probability is given to the root and 5th notes. All this to say, if you're willing to make adjustments to the notes and probabilities across multiple octaves, you can probably get pretty close to more exotic and complex chord arrangements. I know of a few jazz musician types that seem to get along OK doing this. It's a compromise, I know. Sadly, you can't have custom chord labels yet, but it's on the ever-growing list of things to do.

Hope that all makes sense. -Rob

• @Monome - thanks for highlighting that. I'm a casual user of Model 15 at best and often I can't work out what's going on amidst all those cables! :smiley: It's a super flexible app for sure, and it's great to be able to route aftertouch to pretty much anything. Kudos to the Moog devs.

• @moodscaper any eta on midi ? Is there a beta to test ? ;-)

• @moodscaper said:
    @Monome - thanks for highlighting that. I'm a casual user of Model 15 at best and often I can't work out what's going on amidst all those cables! :smiley: It's a super flexible app for sure, and it's great to be able to route aftertouch to pretty much anything. Kudos to the Moog devs.

I love the sounds that come from Model D but scrolling just kills me. There’s no way for me to create a mental picture of what is going on so this is one synth I don’t spend much time patching, sadly.

I like the idea of cabling. For instance you have in Ripplemaker Everything in one screen - I know, different beasts.

Anyway, looking forward the update.

• Version 1.4.1 is out:

At long last... MIDI out is out!

I know many of you have been waiting very patiently for this, and I would like to thank you for that, and I really hope you enjoy this update. Please take a little time to have a look at the MIDI section in the user guide (now accessible from within the app via the gears / settings view).

There will be additional MIDI features (incl. drums out) coming soon! Think of this as "MIDI 1.0" and please let me know of any issues or glitches either via touchscaper.com or the FB page. There are also lots of MIDI demo videos on YT that might give you ideas to try in your own setup.

Hope you're all keeping safe and well, -Rob

• Awesome :-)))

@White said:
    Version 1.4.1 is out:

At long last... MIDI out is out!

I know many of you have been waiting very patiently for this, and I would like to thank you for that, and I really hope you enjoy this update. Please take a little time to have a look at the MIDI section in the user guide (now accessible from within the app via the gears / settings view).

There will be additional MIDI features (incl. drums out) coming soon! Think of this as "MIDI 1.0" and please let me know of any issues or glitches either via touchscaper.com or the FB page. There are also lots of MIDI demo videos on YT that might give you ideas to try in your own setup.

Hope you're all keeping safe and well, -Rob

• Developers have got to stop updating stuff so I have time just to catch up on all the stuff I have...

But seriously - this is cool. Thanks.

• An awesome app just made so much better! Now is the time to figure out all this goodness.

• Wow,already it was dope, now its a beast. This is going to slowly become one of my most used apps, so easy to get a idea or a song started when you cant think of anything

• @moodscaper , thank you for the timely updates, very much appreciated.

• @moodscaper Thank you very much for the midi out update.. not even sure where to start playing around with this.. too many sound options on iOS.. too many chord progressions etc... aren't we a lucky bunch? I'll be busy with this for a while..

Really enjoyed your last demo.. great driving beat and a synth line that compliments it.. you always seem to come up with cool + unusual chord progressions.. very catchy yet unpredictable too.. pretty tasty tone with that Nembrini pedal..

• According to the manual it says when you enable midi two new buttons will appear.
    Where?
    After I enable midi I don't see two new buttons anywhere. Where do they appear, they're not on the settings advanced page.

• @mungbeans said:
    According to the manual it says when you enable midi two new buttons will appear.
    Where?
    After I enable midi I don't see two new buttons anywhere. Where do they appear, they're not on the settings advanced page.

Ok found them, they appear beneath the settings pane so you can't see them until you dismiss settings. Thats not very obvious.

• Moodscaper has a whole bunch of videos on YouTube to help you figure this awesome app out.

• I am sorry if this has been asked before but is there anyone that can explain me how to connect animoog to touchscaper through midi? Thanks in advance

• @Prog1967 said:
    I am sorry if this has been asked before but is there anyone that can explain me how to connect animoog to touchscaper through midi? Thanks in advance

On the Settings panel in TS. Click the Advanced tab. Enable Midi. Close Settings panel.

On main TS screen, tap the Midi button up top/left. In the Midi settings panel, pick a source on the left, and select Animoog as the destination.

I picked Main Instrument A as my source, and when I use TS I can hear Animoog playback.

• edited April 2020

Hey guys - sorry, just checking in this morning (Scotland time) :smile:

The user guide is now bundled with the app - so if you tap the gears icon (top left) you'll now see a User guide button. This used to open a browser link to the website.

MIDI section starts around page 17.

PS. MIDI isn't enabled by default, as it was seen as more of an "advanced" feature. I've quite a few users out there that don't know or care what MIDI stands for :) You guys are power users!

PS. regarding "cool + unusual chord progressions" - why thank you! :smile:

In case you don't know there's a feature in the app that helps with that. If you go into edit scene (...) button at the end of the left hand chord list, when you tap the "navigator" button (compass type icon) a chord navigator appears - this suggests possible chords to go to from your currently selected chord. You can pick chords either in your chosen key, or "anything goes" out of key - I used the latter quite a lot for coming up with ideas.

Please see user guide page 7.

PPS. Just so you know, I'm aware some of you are experiencing issues with stuck notes. Currently investigating... UPDATE: A potential fix is in the pipeline - not sure if it'll make it through on a weekend, but wheels are in motion - sorry about the stuck notes issue!  

Cheers, -Rob