Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gaz and Jakob Demands that Apple listens to iOS Musicians | haQ attaQ

124»

Comments

• Oh, and @Lady_App_titude - love your work. :)

• I enjoy both my iPads, they are really great audio and midi "toys".
    Not a patch on any DAW!.

Running Reaper, ATM on a rather large project, running 247 tracks, heaps of VI's - killer VST's, can have 512 inputs and outputs - last time I looked it was using less than 9% CPU. :o

IOS is like a gameboy in comparison.

But LOTS of funky midi toys, routing etc, and with IDAM - really great audio and midi interaction with my Mac.

While most here are begging for more power on a crippled platform, I'm still using an Air2, and Gen1 iPad Pro :#
    Staying that way for as loooonng as possible.

• @Mayo said:
    Running Reaper, ATM on a rather large project, running 247 tracks, heaps of VI's - killer VST's, can have 512 inputs and outputs - last time I looked it was using less than 9% CPU. :o

:o What kind of musical project requires 247 tracks? I don’t think any of my music has ever exceeded 20.

• edited March 2019

I'll keep that to myself - but my current work will be nudging 1000 tracks when finished (in 8 weeks).
    Not suggesting that all of these tracks are all going at once, but a lot are running.

EG - Film scores go into the thousands of tracks - like anything up to 3000 tracks is common when you have full orchestral scores.

(obviously I'm not doing EDM or Pop )

@Beathoven said:

@Mayo said:

:o What kind of musical project requires 247 tracks? I don’t think any of my music has ever exceeded 20.

• @Mayo said:
    I'll keep that to myself - but my current work will be nudging 1000 tracks when finished (in 8 weeks).
    Not suggesting that all of these tracks are all going at once, but a lot are running.

EG - Film scores go into the thousands of tracks - like anything up to 3000 tracks is common when you have full orchestral scores.

(obviously I'm not doing EDM or Pop )

@Beathoven said:

@Mayo said:

This is clearly beyond my musical knowledge. I thought a philharmonic orchestra had up to 100 instruments. Why the need for thousands of tracks in a single piece of music?

BTW I’m not asking for the sake of being confrontational, but because I’m curious.

• edited March 2019

Because orchestral templates have many hundreds of tracks set up, so that one can quickly compose by selecting say low bowed basses, or percussion, or a soft piano, hi strings etc etc etc.

So say i am writing and I need an orchestral bass drum and a vibraphone, instead of importing 2 Kontakt instruments to write with, and then loading up my fave vibes and bass drums, I already have my templates set up with these ready to write with.

It also allows a composer to have all of his favourite settings, tunings, instrument combo's, routing buses etc in every session ready to be selected to do the job.
    Arm the track and start writing.
    It is all about speed of writing, and total flexibility at any given moment, to add any instrument to an arrangement.

Film composers spend years refining their custom templates with all the settings, outputs etc ready to go.
    Things can suddenly change if a film director chooses to lengthen a scene, and suddenly one needs to completely change the composition. With a flexible template - things can be quickly changed or altered.

This is clearly beyond my musical knowledge. I thought a philharmonic orchestra had up to 100 instruments. Why the need for thousands of tracks in a single piece of music?

For example a string section could be made up of 30 different separate string libraries, one for soft delicate strings, another for pizzicato, another for low bowed cello's etc.

Check out Junky XL the film composer on YouTube.
    He has a 3800 track template - all loaded and ready to go :)

• I agree with Jacob and Gaz. One thing is to limit the range of compatible accessories to sell overpriced stuff.
    And another is to intentionally cause problems for that, like removing headphones out.
    Apple is running down the hill too quickly. Actually what they call improvements (like the aforementioned example) is more like harm and disrespect to customers. Maybe we could start a topic on the apple support forum to clearly state what we need?

• Thanks for enlightening me, @Mayo :)

• @Beathoven - glad to help out!

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    The App Store recommended apps for music are a lame joke... Always Medley and Remix Pads, never Nanostudio, Cubasis or even Audiobus. Noobies are getting misinformed. :#

A bit late to the conversation... keep in mind, Nanostudio and Cubasis have huge learning curves, and Audiobus requires many apps and planning. If you’re just starting to make music, you’ll get overwhelmed and quit. Super simple apps, either Pads or Medly, are a great introduction to music making, and the artist can eventually advance forwards (to Nanostudio, Cubasis, etc.).

We all had to learn the alphabets before we could write essays, and sometimes it’s hard to remember what little we knew in the past.

• edited April 2019

There is not a problemThere is not a problemThere is not a problemThere is not a problemThere is not a problemThere is not a problemThere is not a problemThere is not a problem

... Or as someone suggested me when I confront this issue with all the regular positivity from regular Pro hype users...

“if you aren’t happy with the ecosystem maybe it’s better to look elsewhere”.

Some day it will true also for developers if we keep the same route... just sayin’...

Happily I was on my own quest for standalone gear so I keept going it and get inspired by that fact (iPad Pro still has issues so probably new one will be released before actual gets rid off them... sadly) and also my minis combo (iPad mini4/ mac mini late 2012) still does the basic task for non-realtime needs (and realtime the mac for less than the iPad pro price). Which is a expensive shame but I can live with it. I couldn’t live with a crackling iPad Pro remembering me how I failed trusting/expecting Apple to fix... what they broke first. :confused:

IMhO Apple have shifted priorities and Audio/Music seems gone down on that list. Garageband/Mainstage are keeping me on the whole ecosystem but my patience is short and if I found the proper substitute for some tools (Chord tracker, Music memos...) I will jump off probably. In fact I consider sell the iPad/iPhone 5s and get a new bigger iPhone or iPad (just one of them not both like now) and buy a xiaomi just for calls and all the regular phone stuff.

Jm2c.

• last I checked no one in pro audio at the fruit company had any real interest in iPad. It is what it is. Hopefully things have changed since then