Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gaz and Jakob Demands that Apple listens to iOS Musicians | haQ attaQ

Comments

• @AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Audio latency being worse on a Pro device is a big No No (More CPU, More Ram, More Latency ????) - The reason iOS is where it is in terms of mobile music is because it has historically had far better audio latency than Android...that is why we put up with expensive devices, limited storage, no headphone jack etc..etc..etc..
    Once Android is comparable audio latency wise, then I suspect it will quickly become the go to OS for mobile music, cheaper devices supporting removable storage with headphone socket.

If apple do NOT address this then it would suggest that either they cannot address it, or that they are not interested in staying on top with regards to media creators.

I’m hoping the 2019 Air won’t have these issues, plus it has the Thunderbolt and headphone port.

I just need an upgrade for my Air2, which has been a brilliant machine, but struggles with newer beefier apps.

If the new Air is as good as my current one, but a bit faster, I’ll be happy for a few more years.

I hoping with you ;)

I’m really enjoying making music on the iPad at the moment, some cracking new apps and updates over the last 12 months, so I’m happy to invest in the new Air if it delivers a performance increase without any issues.

• @espiegel123 said:
    What do they say about Samplr the vid?

It lost its ability to sample in the latest iPad Pro 2018
    And the dev works for apple and will probably not come back to maintenance his Samplr app.
    Beside that, Gaz stated that SamplR was the most amazing touch interface app and has done it completely right (back in the days already)

• Only 2 speakers on the new air vs 4 speakers on the pro .. Bummer, since the audio coming out of the speakers on the pro was a huge selling point for me .

• Samplr still working on my 12.1.1 Air 2.

• edited March 2019

“Semi-pro” nuthin’! Pete John’s YouTube channel is full of songs done on GarageBand only , pretty much and they sound amazing. O.K. maybe a full blown Max Martin production might have the edge but still.. You can get pretty “pro” results from iOS alone . Just ask Echopera.

• @echoopera said:

@david_2017 said:

Really good talk, but I dont have any hope apple give a **** on music making...

Hrmmm...not sure about that perspective. GarageBand is pretty amazing on iOS if you like its workflow. I think it’s the bar to be reached if you want to do a DAW on iOS. Cubasis and NanoStudio are also some pretty great examples of what a great DAW can be on a platform which allows you to create Music Apps on a mobile first platform.

Honestly i don’t get the belly aching from the video. If you want to do truly Pro stuff then get a laptop and Ableton or Logic and don’t look back. They’re designed to be virtual studio replacements.

Agree completely. I think it's fine to demand that latency be perfect. But you lose me when you demand bluetooth connectivity in apps for your third-party qwerty keyboard? Then maybe don't use an iPad?

• @Telstar5 said:
    “Semi-pro” nuthin’! Pete John’s YouTube channel is full of songs done on GarageBand only , pretty much and they sound amazing. O.K. maybe a full blown Max Martin production might have the edge but still.. You can get pretty “pro” results from iOS alone . Just ask Echopera.

+1. I thought the interview was overly negative.

• @david_2017 said:
    I hope that they make it thinner :) so good.

If it were a pie chart, even a Retina Display™ couldn't show our slice. All Praise the Apple.

• @AudioGus said:

@david_2017 said:

If it were a pie chart, even a Retina Display™ couldn't show our slice. All Praise the Apple.

I think the new Liquid Retina wouldn’t also be able :) well said, mate

• @david_2017 said:

iPad zero out in 2020. No ports, no weight, no thickness...just pure joy!

• @espiegel123 said:

That pro 2018 kills the built in sampling/resampling

• @Gaz and @jakoB_haQ
    There is only one app-independent and working solution to controlling iOS apps via Bluetooth HID devices like keyboards, game controllers and the like:
    Accessibility Switch Control.

Apple has still not managed to fix the broken MIDI control, but at least bluetooth hid works.

• Apple cares. They do..

About $135 stylus.........

About all.

• Thought the first part was absolutely spot on - it kind of digresses later on. These guys are respected dudes and know their stuff. I suspect this is a video purely borne out of their own frustrations - not unwarranted whingings against the 'evil Apple' etc.

I still lurk here to see if anything might entice me back to IOS, but (for me) apart from the obvious portability aspect, IOS is still not a patch on a good desktop machine loaded with great Kontakt libraries, vst plugins etc. for the whole compositional approach, from start to finish. Was hoping Gadget 2 might be a significant update, but it wasn't for me .

Sure the apps are cheaper, but looking around here, everyone has many hundreds of them :) so that all amounts up.

• @Igneous1 said:
    Thought the first part was absolutely spot on - it kind of digresses later on. These guys are respected dudes and know their stuff. I suspect this is a video purely borne out of their own frustrations - not unwarranted whingings against the 'evil Apple' etc.

I still lurk here to see if anything might entice me back to IOS, but (for me) apart from the obvious portability aspect, IOS is still not a patch on a good desktop machine loaded with great Kontakt libraries, vst plugins etc. for the whole compositional approach, from start to finish. Was hoping Gadget 2 might be a significant update, but it wasn't for me .

Sure the apps are cheaper, but looking around here, everyone has many hundreds of them :) so that all amounts up.

Yah I don't see many advantages on iOS beyond portability and general couchiness.

• Meanwhile in Hennyland!

• I’m just happy to learn what a clagnut is.

• Making music is an escape for me and I’ve loved all the kit for making music since I was a kid (which was a very long time ago!).

No offence to Jacob and Gaz. I’ve enjoyed watching them on YouTube. I understand their frustrations but it got to the point where it seemed to me like they were complaining that their screwdriver was no good for knocking in nails and it was all a bit depressing.

It’s also becoming too easy to target Apple. Thing is, they’ve always been ‘Apple-ey’

My first Mac (via work) was a Mac Ii. It was awesome. It could do things no other machine could at the time. Yet even 30 odd years ago people complained about all the things it could not do and moaned about the price.

(It cost a fortune. It had propriety connectors for everything. It paid for itself in no time.)

Nothing changes. I suddenly wondered why I was watching the video as it was getting me down.

So I switched it off and watched a video of people falling over instead.

• @klownshed said:
    So I switched it off and watched a video of people falling over instead.

I can highly recommend the one of robots falling over as well. :D

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@echoopera said:

@david_2017 said:

Hrmmm...not sure about that perspective. GarageBand is pretty amazing on iOS if you like its workflow. I think it’s the bar to be reached if you want to do a DAW on iOS. Cubasis and NanoStudio are also some pretty great examples of what a great DAW can be on a platform which allows you to create Music Apps on a mobile first platform.

Honestly i don’t get the belly aching from the video. If you want to do truly Pro stuff then get a laptop and Ableton or Logic and don’t look back. They’re designed to be virtual studio replacements.

Agree completely. I think it's fine to demand that latency be perfect. But you lose me when you demand bluetooth connectivity in apps for your third-party qwerty keyboard? Then maybe don't use an iPad?

I would personally love all apps to support QWERTY.

Or just one app that translated QWERTY to MIDI.

• I still think the video is great but at the same time this thread really speaks to how smart some of the folks in this group actually are. Something in that iOS water, I s’pose .

• edited March 2019

Never mind... had the spelling wrong.

• Wouldnt it be great if there was a device/tablet/box similar to ipad that was built stricly for music making, independent of apple and microsoft. It would have its own app store where dev’s can sell their work freely. It can have all types of jacks and peripherals. It can grow and evolve with musicians as opposed to against. It could become so great that apple/microsoft would ask US to become part of it, rather than US constanly bending to them.

• A tablet as powerful as an iPad, built strictly for music making, would have to cost a lot more. I don’t think we’d have these tablets if Apple gave as much consideration to pro music-making as we’d like. They design and produce for non-tech users and for security, and that’s the much bigger market that drives the whole thing. Music tech on the platform moves along at its own pace which, nevertheless, gives us a powerful mobile music-making device. A "mistake" to Apple is what negatively impacts sales to their larger market, not so much a niche market. It doesn’t hurt to complain, but it probably won’t change their direction or speed it along. But I’m happy to have not bought the latest iPad Pro which, apparently, isn’t the big winner for what we do?

• @david_2017 said:
    @echoopera we are completely on the same page, bro.
    I LOVE iOS music making and I think it can be used in a (semi)professional quality too (which I dont do haha).
    But I think its unbelievable ridiculous and embarrassing taking 1K for a pro device and let the customers wait for more than TWO MONTHs for the first fix of this crackling shitcrap. Its one of the biggest companies in the world and they dont get to fix this faster than 45 days after release? With latest iOS update its better, but I still get cracklings for instance in standalone D1 synth... maybe iOS 13 will change things really to another level. Good point of Gaz in the talk....

I think iOS music making and the iOS music ecosystem is so great because of those passionate, dedicated and amazing developers who code and port for iOS devices! With apple alone, there would not have been any of this.

Yeah, still trying to use this 3rd gen pro for some stuff, but plugged my audio interface back into desktop/ableton for now. It just got way too frustrating w crackles/crashes, even under light cpu load, every project ended up consisting of spending hours isolating a problem and working around it. Still works great for midi or lately running animoog through my matrixbrute as external audio, which is still cool, but cant use ipad as serious tool at this point. Unreliable. Now I'm even having random hub issues, luckily only when its receiving passthrough power, still lame.
    Ya apple really hasn't seemed to care much about the audio production side of things, they sure did nothing to make up for lost money for people who bought these pros specifically for audio and spent tons of cash on apps that dont/semi work, and the devs just get to suffer, they are the ones refunding apps.
    Bah

• @DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

@david_2017 said:
    I LOVE iOS music making and I think it can be used in a (semi)professional quality too (which I dont do haha).
    But I think its unbelievable ridiculous and embarrassing taking 1K for a pro device and let the customers wait for more than TWO MONTHs for the first fix of this crackling shitcrap. Its one of the biggest companies in the world and they dont get to fix this faster than 45 days after release? With latest iOS update its better, but I still get cracklings for instance in standalone D1 synth... maybe iOS 13 will change things really to another level. Good point of Gaz in the talk....

I think iOS music making and the iOS music ecosystem is so great because of those passionate, dedicated and amazing developers who code and port for iOS devices! With apple alone, there would not have been any of this.

Yeah, still trying to use this 3rd gen pro for some stuff, but plugged my audio interface back into desktop/ableton for now. It just got way too frustrating w crackles/crashes, even under light cpu load, every project ended up consisting of spending hours isolating a problem and working around it. Still works great for midi or lately running animoog through my matrixbrute as external audio, which is still cool, but cant use ipad as serious tool at this point. Unreliable. Now I'm even having random hub issues, luckily only when its receiving passthrough power, still lame.
    Ya apple really hasn't seemed to care much about the audio production side of things, they sure did nothing to make up for lost money for people who bought these pros specifically for audio and spent tons of cash on apps that dont/semi work, and the devs just get to suffer, they are the ones refunding apps.
    Bah

Is the 3rd Gen Pro the iPad Pro 2018 with USB-C? Since 12.1.4, it's been a pleasure to use. No crackles or instability on any of the tracks I've made since the update which fixed the audio issue.

• edited March 2019

@echoopera said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

@david_2017 said:

Bah

Is the 3rd Gen Pro the iPad Pro 2018 with USB-C? Since 12.1.4, it's been a pleasure to use. No crackles or instability on any of the tracks I've made since the update which fixed the audio issue.

Yeah, the one w usb c, depends what combination of apps, and how many you're using, settings of each individual app, its easy for two people to not share the same luck or selection/number of apps in a project. I can record one track fine on most apps, still layr and a few others crackle depending on a number of variables even at lower cpu usage, but its much easier to just record the ipad through irig hd w the out going into my audiofuse, that way I'm not relying on ios for everything, and I can just record hardware synths into desktop rather than into iOS. Like I said, its still fun for some stuff, but I cant use it for recording a whole project and expect no problems. Nothing on my desktop has crashed for a long time. When I bought this I was just assuming it would all be super stable and no headache, I haven't had an ipad since the 1st mini, but all my iphones like rarely ever have these issues, but I dont use my phone for trying to live mix random numbers of tracks, integrated w hardware and all that, so... Moog just replied to me on appstore again, they still currently state that there are multiple issues w iOS, mostly w certain synths. Also been talking to retronyms about iMPC2, trying to fix some stuff w that too...
    Devs are trying, but there seems to be a big flaw w ios12, obviously not an easy one to fix...
    I'm glad your setup is working good though, hopefully we will all be in the same boat.

• @brambos said:
    I’m just happy to learn what a clagnut is.

Are we talking about Tim Clagnut?

• edited March 2019

Did Gaz & Jakob not see there was no headphone port before they bought the ipads Ermmm. Also why blame Apple for the Samplr issue. The apps not been updated in ages, no one is king. Peace to all

• edited March 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 petty stuff really because you can no longer use the Samplr in built sampling cos the mic settings not available on new ipads..i realised the same with my Air2 iOS12 today but hey the show goes on There are other means