Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gaz and Jakob Demands that Apple listens to iOS Musicians | haQ attaQ

Me and Gaz Williams demands that Apple listen to us musicians and iOS music producers. Join us as we are discussing Apple “clag-nuts”, connectivity issues, iPad Pro 2018 latency bugs, Loopy keyboard integration and more. Ever wondered why SAMPLR isn’t getting any updates? Well Gaz has an answer for you. Check it out!

Comments

• edited March 2019

Conveniently timed subversive ad for the Air... well played gentlemen. :trollface:

• Samplr was the reason I took iOS seriously in the first place... The fact it doesn't appear to work on the new iPads seems pretty telling.

• Great video, guys!

• edited March 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The App Store recommended apps for music are a lame joke... Always Medley and Remix Pads, never Nanostudio, Cubasis or even Audiobus. Noobies are getting misinformed. :#

• The condom of ios ?!?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The good thing is, as soon as you Google any musical App, odds are good that you constantly get pointed to THIS forum.
    That happened for me ;-)

• Ha, love that “The Expanse” gets a shout out. Great show.

Fun interview. Good stuff guys!

• Great video Jakob. Had a little laugh at Gaz’ thinness diatribe, but he’s spot on.

• I’ve previously set up the Korg NanoKontrolStudio as a Loopy controller. Fun stuff!

• Well said - I hope the bigwigs at Apple get to see this.

• Lmaooo. IPad Plop :D

• So yeah when does the iPad Plopp come out? Not gonna lie, kinda excited :smirk:

• He doesn’t seem to like the Pro much, I wonder what he’d think of the new Air?

• 🤫 Personally i feel so blessed that i can go anywhere and compose studio quality music on a device the same size as a sheet of paper that weighs less than a book.

• @echoopera said:
    🤫 Personally i feel so blessed that i can go anywhere and compose studio quality music on a device the same size as a sheet of paper that weighs less than a book.

I feel the 9.7” relationship to the size of a comic book was not an accident.

• We'll have to wait and see what kind of 'news' iOS13 will bring when it comes to file-management.

Full support for standard USB mass-storage devices is a must at this point especially since there are no proper (meaning not relying on Wifi) external storage solutions for the 'Pro' iPads and no easy way to transfer files from a field-recorder without using a computer c'mon Apple just do it!

Even though the new 'iPad Air' is tempting I will wait for iOS13 to drop before I choose what path to take...

I kinda enjoyed the rant and do hope someone at Apple sees it and acts on it too!

• I know I’m late to the party but I bought Samplr a month ago and the damned thing did the same on my air2. Refund requested and was sent straight through from Apple

• Hmmm... I wonder how much of this is specifically related to the newer 2018 pros? I honestly haven’t had any problems with my 10.5 Pro. I push it kinda hard sometimes... but not really. When I’m actually using it for what I bought it for, I’m not generally using any more than a half dozen apps.

I didn’t know they took the headphone jack away. Not sure how I missed it, but that’s really lame.

• edited March 2019

FWIW, i have the new 2018 iPad Pro 12.5 and it’s been stable and great to use under 12.1.4. But i mainly focus on AUM, Korg Gadget, touchable and Modstep these days with a slew of Audio Damage, BramBos and Klevgard fx to round things out. AUM has been a great midi host for my soft and hardware setup...limited they are to a handful of gear though.

I haven’t really felt any workflow interruptions for my daily needs and for this i am thankful 🙏🏼👊🏼™️

Guess I’m a glass half full kind of person though. 🤪

• Lets moan at Apple for being Apple, no thanks, I would rather lie on my bed or sofa and make some music on what pretty much equals to a star trek style super computer I keep in my bag and take everywhere.

• I hope that they make it thinner :) so good.

Really good talk, but I dont have any hope apple give a **** on music making...

• Audio latency being worse on a Pro device is a big No No (More CPU, More Ram, More Latency ????) - The reason iOS is where it is in terms of mobile music is because it has historically had far better audio latency than Android...that is why we put up with expensive devices, limited storage, no headphone jack etc..etc..etc..
    Once Android is comparable audio latency wise, then I suspect it will quickly become the go to OS for mobile music, cheaper devices supporting removable storage with headphone socket.

If apple do NOT address this then it would suggest that either they cannot address it, or that they are not interested in staying on top with regards to media creators.

• edited March 2019

@david_2017 said:

Really good talk, but I dont have any hope apple give a **** on music making...

Hrmmm...not sure about that perspective. GarageBand is pretty amazing on iOS if you like its workflow. I think it’s the bar to be reached if you want to do a DAW on iOS. Cubasis and NanoStudio are also some pretty great examples of what a great DAW can be on a platform which allows you to create Music Apps on a mobile first platform.

Honestly i don’t get the belly aching from the video. If you want to do truly Pro stuff then get a laptop and Ableton or Logic and don’t look back. They’re designed to be virtual studio replacements.

I love my iPad Pro and my fun little tools. They give me the freedom I’ve always dreamed of. I trust that the great devs on iOS will bring us to new vistas they alone can imagine.

🙏🏼👊🏼™️

• @echoopera we are completely on the same page, bro.
    I LOVE iOS music making and I think it can be used in a (semi)professional quality too (which I dont do haha).
    But I think its unbelievable ridiculous and embarrassing taking 1K for a pro device and let the customers wait for more than TWO MONTHs for the first fix of this crackling shitcrap. Its one of the biggest companies in the world and they dont get to fix this faster than 45 days after release? With latest iOS update its better, but I still get cracklings for instance in standalone D1 synth... maybe iOS 13 will change things really to another level. Good point of Gaz in the talk....

I think iOS music making and the iOS music ecosystem is so great because of those passionate, dedicated and amazing developers who code and port for iOS devices! With apple alone, there would not have been any of this.

• What a great video. This conversation is just tough. Of course there is so much going great with iOS music. I’m a big fan. But Jakob and Gaz (and all of us) are not wrong in criticizing the areas where Apple has gone wrong. It can be extremely frustrating if you let yourself think about it too much. (My latest gripe is yesterday’s brand new iPad Air, which has lightning port rated for USB 2 speeds... in 2019.)

So, I’m generally going to just make it a mind game, and focus on the positive. THere are so many frustrating issues with iOS and I can do nothing about it, so I’ll focus on doing something about the things which I can change. :)

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Audio latency being worse on a Pro device is a big No No (More CPU, More Ram, More Latency ????) - The reason iOS is where it is in terms of mobile music is because it has historically had far better audio latency than Android...that is why we put up with expensive devices, limited storage, no headphone jack etc..etc..etc..
    Once Android is comparable audio latency wise, then I suspect it will quickly become the go to OS for mobile music, cheaper devices supporting removable storage with headphone socket.

If apple do NOT address this then it would suggest that either they cannot address it, or that they are not interested in staying on top with regards to media creators.

I’m hoping the 2019 Air won’t have these issues, plus it has the Thunderbolt and headphone port.

I just need an upgrade for my Air2, which has been a brilliant machine, but struggles with newer beefier apps.

If the new Air is as good as my current one, but a bit faster, I’ll be happy for a few more years.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Audio latency being worse on a Pro device is a big No No (More CPU, More Ram, More Latency ????) - The reason iOS is where it is in terms of mobile music is because it has historically had far better audio latency than Android...that is why we put up with expensive devices, limited storage, no headphone jack etc..etc..etc..

I’m hoping the 2019 Air won’t have these issues, plus it has the Thunderbolt and headphone port.

I just need an upgrade for my Air2, which has been a brilliant machine, but struggles with newer beefier apps.

If the new Air is as good as my current one, but a bit faster, I’ll be happy for a few more years.

I hoping with you ;)

• What do they say about Samplr the vid?