Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala - the ultimate pocket-sized sampler

Comments

• edited September 2023

• edited September 2023

• edited September 2023

• edited September 2023

• edited September 2023

Koala issue resolved.

• Is it possible to zoom in a sample in the sample edit view of the desktop version of Koala? Would also be cool if it could remeber the last window size and orientation after quitting and reopening.

• edited January 22

Hi all; Im a latecomer to Koala, so apologies for what is probably a simple question, though I have not found satisfaction by googling around.

Is it possible to arm a cell for recording once a threshold is passed? Im not seeing that anywhere. If not, what are people doing to sample 2-handed instruments (piano, guitar) in? Im currently recording in audioshare and then trimming, but man that is a buzz kill.

• @rens said:
    Hi all; Im a latecomer to Koala, so apologies for what is probably a simple question, though I have not found satisfaction by googling around.

Is it possible to arm a cell for recording once a threshold is passed? Im not seeing that anywhere. If not, what are people doing to sample 2-handed instruments (piano, guitar) in? Im currently recording in audioshare and then trimming, but man that is a buzz kill.

Nothing trigger-wise that I use. To record guitar, I just swipe up on a pad to set it off in record, play what I need to and tap the pad to stop recording. It still needs trimming but, then everything I record in there needs trimming so, that bit isn't really a bother to me.

• @FruityLoop said:
    I just swipe up on a pad to set it off in record, play what I need to and tap the pad to stop recording.

THANKS! I was not aware of that gesture. That works a hell of a lot better than what I was doing; good enough in fact.

• @rens said:

@FruityLoop said:
    I just swipe up on a pad to set it off in record, play what I need to and tap the pad to stop recording.

THANKS! I was not aware of that gesture. That works a hell of a lot better than what I was doing; good enough in fact.

It tries to sort of auto-trim (the selection starts with the first actual noise), but that is usually me swiping the strings or something daft that needs chopping anyway 😂

• @rens said:

You can swipe up on a pad or make the pads toggle to record by default if you go into koala's settings and turn off "Hold to record"

There is a sort of threshold recording thing - any sound that gets recorded will be "Auto-trimmed" - meaning that koala will try to move the start point to the first time the signal goes over a threshold (which is fixed at approx -26dB) - you can also disable that in settings "Auto trim on record" on the audio settings page in koala.

• You can swipe up on a pad or make the pads toggle to record by default if you go into koala's settings and turn off "Hold to record"

There is a sort of threshold recording thing - any sound that gets recorded will be "Auto-trimmed" - meaning that koala will try to move the start point to the first time the signal goes over a threshold (which is fixed at approx -26dB) - you can also disable that in settings "Auto trim on record" on the audio settings page in koala.

Thanks…it works fine, quite well for my purposes. I did not find that in the documentation..maybe add a FAQ?

You do good work, man.

• For anyone interested in resampling in koala with auv3 effects, check out my tutorial!

• @rens manual is forthcoming, will add to faq too

• Am greatly enjoying Koala now that I have that swipe-up shortcut! Can I ask this group some advice:

Q1> does anyone have advice for a signal chain that will emulate 'old school' (EMU) sonics? I am a happy user of TAL sampler for that but would like to approximate it here.

q2> what are people liking for hardware pad controllers with koala?

• @rens said:

• @rens said:
    Am greatly enjoying Koala now that I have that swipe-up shortcut! Can I ask this group some advice:

Q1> does anyone have advice for a signal chain that will emulate 'old school' (EMU) sonics? I am a happy user of TAL sampler for that but would like to approximate it here.

I use a nanoKontrol and Presonus Atom pad. I only use the Atom pad for triggering the sample pads and map dials buttons and sliders to nanoKontrol, using different scenes to split in to record/edit control and playback (mixer, FX etc) control sections.

• I have a beatstep, which I'm using for now; seems to be working OK, but lacks transport controls, etc.

• abfabf
    edited January 24

@lnkn said:
    For anyone interested in resampling in koala with auv3 effects, check out my tutorial!

I'm pretty new to Koala so this is great, thank you!

Edit- I just finished watching, excellent tutorial, very cool track at the end. Koala is the sampler I've always wanted, Koala + AUM is brilliant. Thanks for taking the time (and effort) to share this information, I'm inspired.

• abfabf
    edited January 25

Edit- nevermind I figured it out!

• I really love the Minilab3 with Koala. I have Koalas 16 pads mapped to the Minilabs 16 pads. The 4 faders each mapped to one of the 4 mix busses. And various parameters to each of the knobs. Then the keys to play the sounds chromatically. It’s a ton of fun.

• Hi, I recently discovered Koala, and it's an amazing tool. I came across a video with a split-screen workflow using Audiobus 3.

And I cannot make it work. For me, it doesn't switch to inter-app audio. It simply creates another, new and empty instance of Koala, inside Audiobus. Which cannot be opened separately, so I cannot play in one app while sampling that Koala seeing both at the same time.

Why is it not acting the same? Can someone please explain how to make it work?

• @balinth said:
    Hi, I recently discovered Koala, and it's an amazing tool. I came across a video with a split-screen workflow using Audiobus 3.

And I cannot make it work. For me, it doesn't switch to inter-app audio. It simply creates another, new and empty instance of Koala, inside Audiobus. Which cannot be opened separately, so I cannot play in one app while sampling that Koala seeing both at the same time.

Why is it not acting the same? Can someone please explain how to make it work?

In Audiobus, Audio Units and IAA are accessed by different tabs. It sounds like you are adding from the Audio Unit list. Also, you will want to launch Koala as a standalone first.

• @espiegel123 said:

In Audiobus, Audio Units and IAA are accessed by different tabs. It sounds like you are adding from the Audio Unit list. Also, you will want to launch Koala as a standalone first.

You are right. That is exactly what I did wrong. I overlooked the options there. Thanks a lot for the help. It works perfectly!

• I made a track entirely in Koala...Including the vocal comps:

Im very impressed with the sonics! I wish I coudl say the same about the sequencing capabilities. Its really very fiddly getting things to line up and work properly as a 'multitrack'. This was part of a challenge (disquiet) to use less stuff but in the future I think I will stick with 'normal' sampler duties instead of trying to use it as a four track. It was very hard to line stuff up, especially layering/aligning vocals and even just getting them to sit properly on the beat....really hard to 'nudge and scrub'. Would appreciate any advice on workflow tricks y'all use.

• Doug has done 2 very good vids on Koala this week. Worth watching:

• Should've gotten this a long time ago. Coming from a hardware sampler, this is exactly what I've been looking for. So well designed, and so fun to use.

• @tsamba said:
    Should've gotten this a long time ago. Coming from a hardware sampler, this is exactly what I've been looking for. So well designed, and so fun to use.

Facts! This is my latest, the instrumental of which was created 100% with Koala Sampler.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/60202/jwm-on-the-mend-disco-vs-techno-inst-made-in-koala-vox-in-cb3-mastered-w-logic#latest

• I jumped in the koala hole this week. What an awesome app! Can’t stop playing with it. It didn’t take long for me to decide to purchase samurai mode + mixer for it.

• There are two kinds of people. Those who love Koala, and those who haven't tried Koala yet.