Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Guitar 2 + iOS 12 Issue

Comments

• also, I can't figure out what is required for the IAPs. Can I purchase "MIDI output" only for $19.99 and be able to use this app with virtual MIDI?

or is it required to purchase the $9.99 "MIDI Guitar Rig" in order to be able to use the app at all?

• I remember checking this a while ago and was told you need both iaps for midi out, don’t know if that’s still the case with latest update.

• Yes I believe you still need both IAPs. Bit of a shame as I have never used the Guitar Rig once in the last couple of years.

The new update is great for those of us with multi input USB audio interfaces - I can use it with my Line 6 Helix, which sends dry guitar on USB input 7, and then the effected Guitar on USB 1/2 - so now with the MIDI Guitar update I can route USB 7 to it's input - which was not possible at all before. It's allowing me to have a lot of fun :smiley:

• Would I be correct in thinking that this update is only useable for people who are on iOS 12? as I am not seeing any update on my iPad Air under iOS 10.

• Hmm. The UI being scaled down to the size of most Auv3's, I can only hope that they update it as such. If they do that, or at the very least add AB compatibility, I'll gladly spring for it.

• @palm said:
    Hmm. The UI being scaled down to the size of most Auv3's, I can only hope that they update it as such. If they do that, or at the very least add AB compatibility, I'll gladly spring for it.

Yes, surely the UI change is intentional. Here's hoping!

• I think y> @palm said:

Hmm. The UI being scaled down to the size of most Auv3's, I can only hope that they update it as such. If they do that, or at the very least add AB compatibility, I'll gladly spring for it.

If it is important to you, contact them and let them know. It will increase the chance that such a change will be made.

• @Hmtx said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Is it true that the new version isn't AB compatible? Is virtual MIDI working?

I only have the demo, no IAPs.

I cannot seem to get the new version working in AB3. It is not listed in AB3 list of IAA apps. It does show up as a AB3 MIDI input if you open MIDIGuitar as standalone, and should work that way. Send audio directly to standalone app, then virtual MIDI into Audiobus MIDI.

Virtual MIDI does work standalone and as IAA in AUM.

In what way is it not working in AB3 that it was working before? I have been holding off upgrading to iOS 12 for MIDI Guitar and am no hesitant to upgrade MIDI Guitar if something broke in the update.

• @espiegel123 said:
    In what way is it not working in AB3 that it was working before? I have been holding off upgrading to iOS 12 for MIDI Guitar and am no hesitant to upgrade MIDI Guitar if something broke in the update.

Sorry I never tried the older version in AB3. What I do know is that the new version does not allow MIDI Guitar to be put in the audio slots (input, effects, output) in AB3.

• @Hmtx said:

@espiegel123 said:

Sorry I never tried the older version in AB3. What I do know is that the new version does not allow MIDI Guitar to be put in the audio slots (input, effects, output) in AB3.

I don’t recall it ever being AB compatible. Not positive, but pretty sure.
    It works in the AUM FX slot, but then it seems to only use the iPad mic, not what I load into the AUM input (my guitar interface!).
    As a standalone app, it works great. It sends out Virtual Midi, and that works great. It just doesn’t integrate well into a host-centric workflow.

• It's never been AB or IAA compatible AFAIK, it's always just been a standalone controller.

• edited February 2019

OK, so by what magic does it work in AUM if not IAA ? @CracklePot @richardyot

I actually got it working in AUM as IAA

• Animoog is the sound source.
    • bus send the Animoog audio to MIDI Guitar.
    • MIDI Guitar sending MIDI notes to Sunrizer AUv3.
  • @Hmtx said:

Are you doing anything to get MidiGuitar to see the AUM input?
    I can’t get it to see anything but the iOS mic input, and it doesn’t configure automatically to use the AUM input.

• @Hmtx said:

OK maybe the new version is IAA compatible, I haven't had a chance to open it yet. But in the past I always just used it as a controller, just point the MIDI to whatever synth you're using. I don't think it being IAA or AU compatible would make much difference to me, but if there is a use case then I'm happy to be wrong.

• edited February 2019

@cracklepot nothing special.
    1. load channel 1 with Animoog
    2. add bus send
    3. load bus channel with MIDI Guitar
    4. load sunrizer
    5. tap on three lines next to Sunrizer to select MIDI guitar as the MIDI input

• @richardyot said:

@Hmtx said:

OK maybe the new version is IAA compatible, I haven't had a chance to open it yet. But in the past I always just used it as a controller, just point the MIDI to whatever synth you're using. I don't think it being IAA or AU compatible would make much difference to me, but if there is a use case then I'm happy to be wrong.

It loads, but I am having no luck getting it to actually work.
    It only sees the iPad mic for me, and when I try to switch to the app with sound running, it crashes to the loud sustaining buzz (a somewhat common pain about IAA apps in general).

• @richardyot said:

Yeah, maybe the MIDI Guitar devs didn't send updated info to the AB3 team. Doesn't each app have to be registered correctly in AB3?

Personally I could see this as a lot of fun with the bus send amount being controlled by a foot pedal :-)

• @richardyot said:

I have used it (the old version) quite a bit too and I'm reading these comments about it not being AU and I literally understand nothing. Someone uses MORE than 1 guitar to control their synths? I just can't see an immediate critical need for a midi controller I can only use one of in any case, and which I can point to whatever instrument I like, to be AU/IAA etc. Having said that, I might have missed a clear use case for it too so I'm all ears on when/why it'd be useful to have it AU, or IAA for that matter.

• @htmx
    When you first load MidiGuitar in the AUM FX slot, does it consistently fail on the first attempt? That is what happens for me, but if I press ‘reload’ it usually opens. But sometimes it has problems.

I am wondering if I might need to trash it and install it again.

• @CracklePot said:
    @htmx
    When you first load MidiGuitar in the AUM FX slot, does it consistently fail on the first attempt? That is what happens for me, but if I press ‘reload’ it usually opens. But sometimes it has problems.

scrap/ reinstall wouldn't hurt.

I had it act funny the first two times I tried it in AUM. (reload, close apps, weird usual IAA problems). After that it has loaded up perfectly every time.

• @Hmtx said:

@CracklePot said:
    @htmx

scrap/ reinstall wouldn't hurt.

I had it act funny the first two times I tried it in AUM. (reload, close apps, weird usual IAA problems). After that it has loaded up perfectly every time.

Cool. I will have to punt it.
    Thanks for your help.
    :)

• @richardyot said:
    It's never been AB or IAA compatible AFAIK, it's always just been a standalone controller.

This is accurate.

• It was an accurate statement for the previous releases but it is definitely visible as a IAA option in AUM now with the latest release and it seems logical that it would be there considering the new audio feature set.

• Is the new version solid?

What are the new features?

I am not finding it in the App Store doing search -- is it not currently available for purchase? I did find it in my purchased apps list but am hesitant to grab the update without hearing confirmation that the update is solid.

• I'd say the new version is as solid as the previous version. Not had any problems with it.

The new features that matter to me are the ability to select from any input in a multi-channel audio interface and the MIDI machines - especially the sustain, where you can set it to Hold the synth notes, and switch to guitar - so that you can essentially hold a sustained synth chord down and play guitar melody over it.

I did some beta testing for this version, and the Baseline midi machine was great too - it just needed a bit more work before it was ready for release. Hopefully that will be back in an update soon.

• is there any demo of the IAP purchases? specifically guitar rig

• @hisdudeness said:
    is there any demo of the IAP purchases? specifically guitar rig

I can make one if you like. You have to buy that purchase to get better tracking, but as for the actual guitar processing that comes with that purchase... Don't expect much.

• thanks for the advise

• @BroCoast wrote:"You have to buy that purchase to get better tracking, but as for the actual guitar processing that comes with that purchase... Don't expect much."

What IAP affects the tracking? As far as I know, none of the IAP's change the way tracking works.