Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Guitar 2 + iOS 12 Issue

MIDI Guitar 2 doesn't work on my iPhone 7+ (only iPhone 7+) after I updated to the latest version of iOS 12.
I did the iOS update via iTunes (which I don't usually do). This may have something to do with it

I have two other devices on iOS 12 and they both work fine with MG2; iPhone 6, iPad Mini 4.
I've tried deleting/reinstalling MG2 on the 7+ but it still tells me, "No mic access. Go to settings...blah blah blah" but the app has disappeared from both the settings/privacy/microphone menu and the other app menu that exists in the top level of settings.

Anybody else had this issue?

Comments

• Yes I have this issue as well - no microphone access and the app doesn't appear in privacy settings so it's not possible to enable mic access.

• There is an official issue with iOS12 since a few months now, and it has been removed from AppStore. They work on a fix but it must be difficult as it seems to take a long time to be done...

• OK, thanks for the responses.
    I have redownloaded it from the app store so it seems like it's still available.
    And it works on some iOS 12 devices but not all. That's very weird.

• edited January 2019

@Vaultnaemsae said:
    OK, thanks for the responses.
    I have redownloaded it from the app store so it seems like it's still available.
    And it works on some iOS 12 devices but not all. That's very weird.

Ok at least it’s not available in France, I can’t buy it. The last time I was in contact with JamOrigin in December, they said it was removed from AppStore and the fix was still not done. Perhaps you can contact them too, more user feedback usually means quicker fix.

http://www.jamorigin.com/contact/

• If you don’t already own it, it is currently not available from the App Store, at least in the US.

• No response from J.O. yet. I've sent in a couple of support requests in the last week. That's why I posted here. Really at a loose end with this one.

• edited January 2019

Just had an answer, some good news!!

They work on an update with not only the iOS12 fix but also lot of new features. I’m going to beta test it so that’s cool too. Will be available after beta testing which begins in a few days from what they said. So it’s not abandonware :)

• @Janosax said:

They work on an update with not only the iOS12 fix but also lot of new features. I’m going to beta test it so that’s cool too. Will be available after beta testing which begins in a few days from what they said. So it’s not abandonware :)

Thank you.
    I really rely on this app.

• edited January 2019

Awesome to hear! Midi Guitar 2 is perpetually on my "buy soon" list since during testing it seems to be the highest quality MIDI tracking app out there. I just never pull the trigger because it is $20 (edit: $30) for the IAP, which seemed a bit steep to me... but one of these days I'll get it.

• edited January 2019

@Janosax said:

That is good news indeed! My enjoyment of MIDI Guitar 2 has really been thwarted by the fact that it is not possible to select anything other than Inputs 1 & 2 if you plug in a multi-channel audio interface. My Helix sends Dry guitar on Channel 7 (or 8) which would be perfect for use straight "out of the box" to add MIDI textures to any Helix guitar patch - but alas, I have to rejig all Helix presets - to try and make the main output of Helix send to XLR and USB3/4 - which Helix cannot actually do - it can only send to XLR and USB 1/2 at the same time. Bummer. It means rigging up really complicated signal paths within Helix just to get the singal to the right places.

• @fprintf said:
    Awesome to hear! Midi Guitar 2 is perpetually on my "buy soon" list since during testing it seems to be the highest quality MIDI tracking app out there. I just never pull the trigger because it is $20 for the IAP, which seem a bit steep to me... but one of these days I'll get it.

I had to buy both IAPs to get Midi Out, so it was $30 for me.
    It would be cool if they didn’t make you buy both IAPs.

• @fprintf said:
    Awesome to hear! Midi Guitar 2 is perpetually on my "buy soon" list since during testing it seems to be the highest quality MIDI tracking app out there. I just never pull the trigger because it is $20 for the IAP, which seem a bit steep to me... but one of these days I'll get it.

$20 is a steal for what it does. It approaches the Fishman Triple Play (hardware) in performance and is better than most hardware guitar-to-MIDI. If that isn't worth $20 then we are doomed to have lame apps quickly abandoned -- because at $20, the developer is probably not making much of an income relative to the time and resources put into making something that outperforms hardware that costs 20 or 30 times as much.

Developers of apps like this do not make a lot of money -- they would earn much more doing non-music app programming and probably working the cash register at your local Quickee Mart.

We've gotten so used to apps being cheap that we fail to understand that our demand for amazing apps at low prices basically limits what it makes sense for devs to do.

• @espiegel123 said:

@fprintf said:

$20 is a steal for what it does. It approaches the Fishman Triple Play (hardware) in performance and is better than most hardware guitar-to-MIDI. If that isn't worth $20 then we are doomed to have lame apps quickly abandoned.

No question about it. On one hand the market for apps is vastly greater than the usual music store stuff as long as you put out a product that appeals to the masses. On the other hand, you can get super specific and in this case if what it does is vastly superior to hardware to MIDI then it is worth it.

But no one can say that $20 (or $30 IAP) is a good value or not because you don't know what people have into their music making hobby. For me it is a $30 fun toy that I'm going to do very little with and I have to justify it versus other purchases. I don't smoke, I don't drink and I don't go to the coffee shop or the movies. So the usual tropes of "it is only 3 coffees from Starbucks" or "two tickets to the movies" doesn't work for me. I am sure there are other expenses I can cut but is it worth it?

And is it that much better than MidiMorphosis, which I already have paid for?

Also for $30 you have to ask whether it is worth it on IOS vs. on the more powerful Mac/PC platform at $90.

I think you can have this discussion any time app pricing comes up.

• @fprintf can't you just load up MIDI Guitar 2 and see how it works? I thought the full function is free (and the MIDI disconnects after 20 minutes or something like that).

My occasional tinkering with audio to MIDI is satisfied with Thumbjam. If I got more serious about it I would definitely be trying out MIDI Guitar 2.

• @Hmtx said:
    @fprintf can't you just load up MIDI Guitar 2 and see how it works? I thought the full function is free (and the MIDI disconnects after 20 minutes or something like that).

My occasional tinkering with audio to MIDI is satisfied with Thumbjam. If I got more serious about it I would definitely be trying out MIDI Guitar 2.

You are correct. I tested the free version for months before I finally had enough to buy the IAPs.

• @CracklePot thats good to know. Have you compared it to Thumbjam or MIDIMorphosis? How different are these app-based options?

• I have InfiniteLooper, which has a version of the MidiMorphosis code. I didn’t think it worked very well, it’s also monophonic and only works with mic input.

I need to try TJ more. It worked well when I first tried it, like right after I learned about this feature.

MidiGuitar2 also only works from mic/interface input, but it works so great. Multitimbral Audio to midi, works great with things other than guitar, too.
    I use it to convert audio to midi for a lot of apps that don’t output midi. I run the HP jack into my UCA-222 interface. It can interpret a pretty good range of sounds, as long as they are kinda clean with somewhat sharp envelopes (pluckish).

• So, this is good news...I put my hand up to beta test it too.
    My main live rig relies heavily on the desktop version of MG2 so hoping the new iOS version gets a bit closer to that. Yet, the question remains - why does MG2 work on some iOS12 devices and not others?

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    So, this is good news...I put my hand up to beta test it too.
    My main live rig relies heavily on the desktop version of MG2 so hoping the new iOS version gets a bit closer to that. Yet, the question remains - why does MG2 work on some iOS12 devices and not others?

From what dev said, they put lot of desktop features in this new iOS update :)

• I wish they would put out a new release of MIDI bass (& guitar I guess) for mac - the current one is from 2016 and doesn't have pitch bend support on it. the guitar one works really well tho, but i wish they would have updates on it.

good news they are putting in updates for the ipad version, i pinged them last year asking if they were still in business and they said they were still working on things, but not updating software or the web site for 2 years is not a good sign.

• Nobody has any ideas about the device thing? I am successfully running MG2 on two iOS 12 devices...only iPhone 7+ doesn't work. Normal?

• What I think happened here is, some Apps (like MidiGuitar too, it seems) used to ask for Mic/Photos-permission, but with ios12 code the question doesn‘t „get through“ anymore (the user never gets to see it). Thus, if allowed access before (on ios 10/11 f.e.), the App can access Mic/Photos, if freshly installed it never gets permission and doesn‘t work, because you can‘t set it manually in settings anymore. I have a few Apps that behave this way, still working on some devices, but not on others (where permissions hadn‘t been granted before...).

• iOS 12 update is just here :)

• Very strange UI (occupies only the top half of the screen (iPad pro 10.5), no Audiobus; works only standalone or in the effectslot of AUM (etc.), no IAA-toolbar nor IAA-hosticon, but sounds and plays fantastic!

• A pleasant surprise. Thanks for the update.

• Is it true that the new version isn't AB compatible? Is virtual MIDI working?

• Can’t remember how to trigger an AU synth with this in Auria or Cubasis... Any suggestions

• Is the IAP universal?

• @espiegel123 said:
    Is it true that the new version isn't AB compatible? Is virtual MIDI working?

I only have the demo, no IAPs.

I cannot seem to get the new version working in AB3. It is not listed in AB3 list of IAA apps. It does show up as a AB3 MIDI input if you open MIDIGuitar as standalone, and should work that way. Send audio directly to standalone app, then virtual MIDI into Audiobus MIDI.

Virtual MIDI does work standalone and as IAA in AUM.