Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus forum - we can do better

Comments

• edited November 2018

@Dawdles banned? As a community we have failed to really listen. I hope it's a timeout. I like spices in my food.

There's a lesson to take away. If anyone is that passionate about an app (an update in this case). Let them vent. Trying to change their mind won't work. It actually in a few cases makes them get even more angry. That's what happened here. It makes him "righteously indignant". Our collective inability to just listen to his view and not attack him becomes the real problem.

"Just shut up." is a failure to communicate. "I hear you." gets a better result.

Now he's got even more anger to manage. I have some family members that have these traits and silence is the right way to manage the episode. It's not usually personal it just feels that way to the listener. Let them get the feelings out. They usually come back and make amends for feeling too much.

It gets really intense when people with these personality traits lock horns. Feuds are started with this dynamic. My family is experiencing one right now.

I'm sure @Dawdles makes music by the way and wants MIDI AU to record in BM3 or any other powerful app. That's his current workflow to make live music.

Try telling the @LinearLineman to "shut the fuck up" about teaching jazz improvisation. Keep your guard up... he throws a mean metaphor and loves a good debate. I had a father like that once. We'd go for rounds until my Mother would put us in a time out.

I have learned I'd rather be effective than to be right. Thanks Dad.
    (I still think I'm right but I let others 'win' if it advances my cause).

Make no mistake. @Dawdles needed the timeout. BM3 3.1 was his hope for the new thing. It actually should still be since they released a 3.0.11 update but the fact that the code for 3.1 has been spotted in the wild and then this? Give him some room folks. It ain't pretty after all that bent up demand for working code.

What App are you waiting for? Getting angry yet? Me too. Rumor has it they are working on it.

Recognize the passion and let them vent when you see it. It will pass. Be a better listener and less judgemental even when the anger seems like the issue.

• I'm looking forward to @dawdles return at some point. We all have our bad days, bad spells and bad behavior. Not to lay blame on him as I'm not privy nor have I followed all of this but it does pain me when someone leaves, chooses to leave or is kicked out. Usually, there is something more going on behind-the-scenes in their lives which leads to the "bad day" and I don't wish that on anyone.

• I am reading these posts saying that people ganged up on you know who.
    I have to disagree. I agree with the general sentiment about letting people have their opinions and vent and all that, but that doesn’t apply here.
    He felt the need to reply and denigrate any opinions contrary to his own, even when comments were not directed at him, or he wasn’t quoted or tagged. He just attacked anybody that had a different view of the topic being discussed. Not always, but in this instance and others for sure.
    He came here trying to stir up shit, and when people reacted he would try to keep arguments going for no reason. He ended by insulting pretty much everyone here that doesn’t like to engage in heated arguments about opinionated matters.
    Yeah he had some good moments and offered some good info. But his constant arguing for really just his own narrow viewpoint, and that apps that don’t fit his workflow are somehow shit and the dev needs to cater to his demands, was annoying to put it lightly.

TLDR. That dude was trying to stir up shit around here. He liked to fight with other members, obviously. It was his misguided way of injecting excitement into the forum. The thing is most members don’t seem too interested in all that ridiculous drama.

• edited November 2018

@McDtracy said:

It gets really intense when people with these personality traits lock horns. Feuds are started with this dynamic. My family is experiencing one right now.

Same here, I've got an autistic ten year old ready to smash the house down tonight, and we've had a warning about his behaviour from school today, so we're hoping he isn't kicked out (again).

The way to deal with him tonight is not to yell at him, or tell him off, as his condition would mean he'd just react ever more strongly, but to remain calm and wait for it to pass - as it will eventually.

Kindness and understanding is always the best way, and sometimes you've gotta step back.

• Fwiw, I was not aware of the BM3 thread and none of my comments were a reflection of it or aimed at anyone in particular.

I am puzzled that anyone could find the goal of being respectful to one another when disagreeing with each other.

Seriously. I know of no single social or ethical code where that isn't the goal.

Since no one was called out by name, I really can't see why any of the initial comments resulted in the hostility that erupted--directed to the notion that we can disagree with each other in a respectful way.

• Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Have a good weekend you lovely people.

:)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Have a good weekend you lovely people.

:)

You too, bub. :)

• edited November 2018

@Kinkujin. This is Dawdles for now. He has been this way for a long time. Frankly, who gives a fuck? Are we not capable of ignoring even if we cannot accept? Admit it guys, there is a perverse pleasure in loving to hate someone. We are all guilty of it unless we are a saint. I realize we live in pretty illiterate world,
    ( hey, McD, can't you keep your soliloquy to the length of a tweet? Brevity, man. People don't want to read your middle of the road, stay on the sidelines, seven habits of effective people bullshit. Nobody wants to waste their time reading what some old guy has to say when they should be having fun... Facetious font off) but there was a book Lord of the Flies. ...

It was about a bunch of kids stranded on an island. Well, there was a guy, Dawdles, I mean Piggy, and no one liked him cause he was an asthmatic, simpering weakling. He just couldn't get his iOS workflow like he wanted, I mean he wore glasses, the deformed idiot, and rightly became the target of the mob's hatred. Well, they eventually killed him by sticking a sharpened stake up his ass. God, he deserved it! Were they expected to accept the wimp? Ignore him? Never! Not on your life! I mean he had feelings, he was sensitive, he wanted a perfect BM3! , I mean he was afraid of being lost on an island with guys who didn't like him. Who the fuck was he to be afraid and remind them of their own primal fears? Who the hell was he to have weaknesses? I loved that mob. They didn't say much but they did a lot!

Now look, you may think me a pompous, arrogant, shitfilled troublemaker, but until @michael bans me or prohibits any kind of discussion deeper than why a cable has a phallus on one end and a vagina on the other I will say what I think (remember @WillieNegus, I really believe just the opposite. It feels great, bro!). You have five choices: agree, disagree, ignore, accept, or be a dick Is that so hard?
    Here's the tweet:
    Michael@Lost in Space:
    You have five fucking choices,
    AGREE, DISAGREE, IGNORE, ACCEPT, OR BE A DICK.

now that IS brief, and Lordy, , I had fun!

• @TheVimFuego said:

@espiegel123 said:
    It puzzles me that a plea for people to be respectful in their engagement is seen as in any way controversial.

New to the Internet are we? :D

On days that I really want to lose faith in humanity (Few and far between thankfully) I read YouTube comments.

Man, YouTube comments is a cesspool.
    My apologies to cesspools.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Ok @LucidMusicInc, we are all entitled to our opinion. I hope you agree.

To some extent. I was surprised to see the ban but I suspect there was more cause for the ban than these posts. Perhaps a PM and a warning might have been exchanged that he chose to ignore.

We’re entitled to our opinions but we must own up to the consequences of our mistakes as well

Just hope it’s not a Lifetime Ban.. maybe a cooling off period.. knowing the circumstances..

• @JeffChasteen said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@espiegel123 said:
    It puzzles me that a plea for people to be respectful in their engagement is seen as in any way controversial.

On days that I really want to lose faith in humanity (Few and far between thankfully) I read YouTube comments.

:D

• @JeffChasteen said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@espiegel123 said:

There’s gold in them there YouTube comments. I’m a big fan of Adam Buxton, Dave Gorman and the like. There’s something special about communities on the internet; people behave very differently than they would if they were all sitting around a table in a coffee shop. I find most of what people have to say informative, entertaining, hilarious, thought provoking and interesting. The Audiobus Forum is slightly different in its tone and is far more respectful and informative than most communities. In that respect it’s a bit like a religious commune or retreat.

• We are very cult like here lol

• @LinearLineman said:
    McD.. Brevity, man.

Got pith?

• @WillieNegus said:

Guess how much it would effect the real man that created my profile?lol.

Who says you’re a real man?...

• edited November 2018

ahah! @TheOriginalPaulB Jedi you are.

• edited November 2018

Perhaps I don’t possess glorious enough reading comprehension or stamina to unpack everything you said up there @LinearLineman but I’ll be damned if:

“a first rate fantasy beats a third rate reality.” ain’t some classic cold game.lol. Lemme find out you’re in old playalistic mack like those Harlem Slicksters from across 110th st days past laying low in Turkey...lol

Really. Did you make that up or get it from a lyric?

• Anybody up for a discussion of religion and politics?

• @Clam said:
    Anybody up for a discussion of religion and politics?

No just bingo and tits, for me.

• @knewspeak said:

@Clam said:
    Anybody up for a discussion of religion and politics?

No just bingo and tits, for me.

interesting combo there

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I found myself agreeing with Dawdles at times, but his opinions became overshadowed by his need to be heard and all that encapsulates that. To be fair to him, many were seemingly being deliberate in their winding him up. Often it’s best to just leave people like that alone for a while - and by that I mean Dawdles and the winders (could that be a group name).

Funny how things turn out though, because I can still see how his frustrations began and how he was almost manipulated into his anger, but essentially we are responsible for our own behaviour. So, while I agree with the sentiments of the OP here, I can see that a few here won’t even see their own responsibility for jabbing him with a stick.

I do disagree with the sentiments of treating devs as God’s. I really do believe we should treat anyone with reasonable respect, but we really must tell devs when they are getting it wrong. It may only be our opinions, but they are valid and have worth if delivered in an open, honest and constructive way.

I’m curious if some of the communication problems have come down to language barriers? I noticed some irregular phrasing to the information coming from Intua. Now the tin foil wearers (me at times), would say that this is just clever manipulation, but I’m more tending to see that much of all this stems from poor communication. By using the term poor communication, though, I am not blaming. We all use poor communication at times, language being a barrier or not.

I think one of the main things here is for us all to learn how we can better be less personal when we try to deliver our views. I would normally discuss an app as a thing and not something that is the dev. In many of our cases though (myself included), we got sucked in to expressing more personally (as I have here mentioning Dawdles by name). Really what we should do though is temper our own words when we do know what we are doing.

IMO, It was obvious that many of us fell into the trap of stroking our own egos in these threads. There is a fine line between offering true words of caution and wisdom to a fellow poster and coming across as ego stroking and we all wavered a lot over BM3 chat. Passions truly ran high with this one.

From my perspective, BM3 is now relegated to a lesser role in my music making. This is my personal choice and while I’m going to still use its future with hoping eyes, it bears little to anyone here. We all are such a diverse group and how we make music is equally as diverse. I think that’s what started this whole wind up emotionally on the BM3 thread - people trying to tell others how they should feel and what is important - just as bad as a bit of ranting IMO.

Now back to my latest app cull. This time I’m really letting the knife fly! :)

Beautiful! Well said!! The way I see it, we should “call a spade a spade”—developer or not. But it’s best to do it nicely. There have been people banned that totally deserved it (a particular former member who was fond of “Archtops” cones to mind). There are times when moderation has been a little heavy handed and bordering on censorship (this happens very rarely, I’m happy to report). There are times when a developer goes for the quick money grab and releases a product and then disappears and won’t answer legitimate contact attempts for support or bug fixes (infrequent, but it happens). There are times when the masses (pitchforks and torches in hand) turn on a particular developer (sometimes deserved, sometimes not). But over all, in the end, we are usually pretty good at self-policing. A thread (like this one) will start, people will give our opinions one way or the other, people will understand each other, and things will go back to normal (generally cheerful) conversation. I’m not so sure @Dawdles should have been banned for voicing his opinion. I didn’t see his comments as a bannable offense. I’m pretty opinionated, and can get pretty frustrated with things that affect me, and I often worry that I could get banned for speaking while frustrated (even if I’m not wrong). Since this place opened, it has been one of my daily homes, and I would be devastated to be banned from here.

I guess what I’m saying, is that I think we all need to try to be kind, helpful, and mindful of others’ feelings, but also be tolerant of others dissenting opinions, because there may be times when a person is actually justified in their righteous indignation, and there may also be times when a long-time user that loves the group and is generally a positive contributor may be going through something rough.

Peace ✌️

• @WillieNegus said:
    Perhaps I don’t possess glorious enough reading comprehension or stamina to unpack everything you said up there @LinearLineman but I’ll be damned if:

“a first rate fantasy beats a third rate reality.” ain’t some classic cold game.lol. Lemme find out you’re in old playalistic mack like those Harlem Slicksters from across 110th st days past laying low in Turkey...lol

LinearLineman might be my new favourite poster. It's a battle between him and that u12244335823 guy from London. Electric Ian.

• @BroCoast said:

@WillieNegus said:

LinearLineman might be my new favourite poster. It's a battle between him and that u12244335823 guy from London. Electric Ian.

Wild right?!😩😂🤦🏽‍♂️

• @Audiojunkie said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I found myself agreeing with Dawdles at times, but his opinions became overshadowed by his need to be heard and all that encapsulates that. To be fair to him, many were seemingly being deliberate in their winding him up. Often it’s best to just leave people like that alone for a while - and by that I mean Dawdles and the winders (could that be a group name).

Funny how things turn out though, because I can still see how his frustrations began and how he was almost manipulated into his anger, but essentially we are responsible for our own behaviour. So, while I agree with the sentiments of the OP here, I can see that a few here won’t even see their own responsibility for jabbing him with a stick.

I do disagree with the sentiments of treating devs as God’s. I really do believe we should treat anyone with reasonable respect, but we really must tell devs when they are getting it wrong. It may only be our opinions, but they are valid and have worth if delivered in an open, honest and constructive way.

I’m curious if some of the communication problems have come down to language barriers? I noticed some irregular phrasing to the information coming from Intua. Now the tin foil wearers (me at times), would say that this is just clever manipulation, but I’m more tending to see that much of all this stems from poor communication. By using the term poor communication, though, I am not blaming. We all use poor communication at times, language being a barrier or not.

I think one of the main things here is for us all to learn how we can better be less personal when we try to deliver our views. I would normally discuss an app as a thing and not something that is the dev. In many of our cases though (myself included), we got sucked in to expressing more personally (as I have here mentioning Dawdles by name). Really what we should do though is temper our own words when we do know what we are doing.

IMO, It was obvious that many of us fell into the trap of stroking our own egos in these threads. There is a fine line between offering true words of caution and wisdom to a fellow poster and coming across as ego stroking and we all wavered a lot over BM3 chat. Passions truly ran high with this one.

From my perspective, BM3 is now relegated to a lesser role in my music making. This is my personal choice and while I’m going to still use its future with hoping eyes, it bears little to anyone here. We all are such a diverse group and how we make music is equally as diverse. I think that’s what started this whole wind up emotionally on the BM3 thread - people trying to tell others how they should feel and what is important - just as bad as a bit of ranting IMO.

Now back to my latest app cull. This time I’m really letting the knife fly! :)

Beautiful! Well said!! The way I see it, we should “call a spade a spade”—developer or not. But it’s best to do it nicely. There have been people banned that totally deserved it (a particular former member who was fond of “Archtops” cones to mind). There are times when moderation has been a little heavy handed and bordering on censorship (this happens very rarely, I’m happy to report). There are times when a developer goes for the quick money grab and releases a product and then disappears and won’t answer legitimate contact attempts for support or bug fixes (infrequent, but it happens). There are times when the masses (pitchforks and torches in hand) turn on a particular developer (sometimes deserved, sometimes not). But over all, in the end, we are usually pretty good at self-policing. A thread (like this one) will start, people will give our opinions one way or the other, people will understand each other, and things will go back to normal (generally cheerful) conversation. I’m not so sure @Dawdles should have been banned for voicing his opinion. I didn’t see his comments as a bannable offense. I’m pretty opinionated, and can get pretty frustrated with things that affect me, and I often worry that I could get banned for speaking while frustrated (even if I’m not wrong). Since this place opened, it has been one of my daily homes, and I would be devastated to be banned from here.

I guess what I’m saying, is that I think we all need to try to be kind, helpful, and mindful of others’ feelings, but also be tolerant of others dissenting opinions, because there may be times when a person is actually justified in their righteous indignation, and there may also be times when a long-time user that loves the group and is generally a positive contributor may be going through something rough.

Peace ✌️

I agree, this place is a diverse one and mostly tolerant, certainly at it's best.

• Banning should definitely be only for major transgressions. Perhaps as a lesser alternative we should have a ‘Timeout’ button on our profile/activity page. If enough unique members bother to go there and click it, the individual concerned can’t post for a week, after which their timeout score resets to zero. Each timeout click could last a week, so if they don’t reach the limit during that week, it isn’t permanently part of their score. I think that if you piss off say, 20 other forum members, you’re probably due some quiet reflection on the content and/or tone of your posts.

• @BroCoast said:

@WillieNegus said:

Should be me you bastard lol >:)

• edited November 2018

@TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Banning should definitely be only for major transgressions. Perhaps as a lesser alternative we should have a ‘Timeout’ button on our profile/activity page. If enough unique members bother to go there and click it, the individual concerned can’t post for a week, after which their timeout score resets to zero. Each timeout click could last a week, so if they don’t reach the limit during that week, it isn’t permanently part of their score. I think that if you piss off say, 20 other forum members, you’re probably due some quiet reflection on the content and/or tone of your posts.

Not assuming you're new here just because of your "joined" date — you could have been banned at one time and rebranded yourself! ;) — but banning on the Audiobus Forum comes only after strong private warnings from the moderators. I have definitely come close to crossing the line, and I have been warned in fair but clear terms. I don't know what Dawdles did, but I'd be shocked if he hadn't received multiple warnings.

And as much as I understand the need for open discussion, he did not take that to heart. He was very knowledgable but rude and dismissive and generally the equivalent of a turd in the punchbowl.

I agree with the sentiment put forth by @JohnnyGoodyear:

I don't believe in group think or cliques (by design anyway), but I do think there's a greater good at play here also which deserves protecting and, the bottom line is that in the end this is not the internet at large but a small private club where we are all granted attendance at the pleasure and sufferance of the proprietors.

Basically, say what you want, but know when you're being an asshole and dial it down. Or at least take of some high end.

• You’re right, I am an old hand here (not a banned one, honest), so I’m aware of that and I’m sure in this case he must have crossed a line to justify the ban. I’m just suggesting a way that could lessen the burden on @Michael and to perhaps avoid others reaching the point where a ban is required.

• If grown people can become this upset over virtual instruments I shudder at the thought of how they handle disappointments in real life.........

• @Dham said:
    If grown people can become this upset over virtual instruments I shudder at the thought of how they handle disappointments in real life.........

I think the various subjects being argued about is not really what these people argue about. Usually it is just egomania, regardless of how the tension starts.