Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus forum - we can do better

1235»

Comments

• @McDtracy said:
    @Dawdles banned? As a community we have failed to really listen. I hope it's a timeout. I like spices in my food.

There's a lesson to take away. If anyone is that passionate about an app (an update in this case). Let them vent. Trying to change their mind won't work. It actually in a few cases makes them get even more angry. That's what happened here. It makes him "righteously indignant". Our collective inability to just listen to his view and not attack him becomes the real problem.

"Just shut up." is a failure to communicate. "I hear you." gets a better result.

Now he's got even more anger to manage. I have some family members that have these traits and silence is the right way to manage the episode. It's not usually personal it just feels that way to the listener. Let them get the feelings out. They usually come back and make amends for feeling too much.

It gets really intense when people with these personality traits lock horns. Feuds are started with this dynamic. My family is experiencing one right now.

I'm sure @Dawdles makes music by the way and wants MIDI AU to record in BM3 or any other powerful app. That's his current workflow to make live music.

Try telling the @LinearLineman to "shut the fuck up" about teaching jazz improvisation. Keep your guard up... he throws a mean metaphor and loves a good debate. I had a father like that once. We'd go for rounds until my Mother would put us in a time out.

I have learned I'd rather be effective than to be right. Thanks Dad.
    (I still think I'm right but I let others 'win' if it advances my cause).

Make no mistake. @Dawdles needed the timeout. BM3 3.1 was his hope for the new thing. It actually should still be since they released a 3.0.11 update but the fact that the code for 3.1 has been spotted in the wild and then this? Give him some room folks. It ain't pretty after all that bent up demand for working code.

What App are you waiting for? Getting angry yet? Me too. Rumor has it they are working on it.

Recognize the passion and let them vent when you see it. It will pass. Be a better listener and less judgemental even when the anger seems like the issue.

Can you share his music? Not being facetious, I really want to hear it.

• @CracklePot said:

@Dham said:
    If grown people can become this upset over virtual instruments I shudder at the thought of how they handle disappointments in real life.........

I think the various subjects being argued about is not really what these people argue about. Usually it is just egomania, regardless of how the tension starts.

Gotcha:) Ye Ole pissing contests. It's best to check your ego at the door when entering forums:)

• @Michael does an admirable job with this site. I appreciate his setting it up and doing an excellent job moderating.

I hope folks appreciate what a thankless job it is running a discussion board and maintaining that balance between lively conversation and utter chaos into which so many communities fall.

• @WillieNegus , I loved your post, dude, tho I didn't understand half of it. I know I could lie but that first rate third rate thing has stuck with me for fifty years ever since a high school friend laid it on me while we were smoking some great weed. Should be in Bartlett's quotations or something, I am glad I could keep it alive. Hey, where's your pic? I showed you mine now you show me yours ( it doesn't have to be the real deal, of course)

Thanks @BroCoast , you put me in lofty company with that oblique, eccentric, absurdist nihilistic @u0421793. I know I am just another asshole, but lately I have been entertaining the image of Don Quixote wearing a Guy Fawkes mask... Tilting at windmills and when that fails blowing them up. I try to make my idiocies as entertaining as possible while doing as much subliminal damage as I can, Glad you enjoy it, but look out for a rash between your toes.

@fruitbat, I feel your pain.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @WillieNegus , I loved your post, dude, tho I didn't understand half of it. I know I could lie but that first rate third rate thing has stuck with me for fifty years ever since a high school friend laid it on me while we were smoking some great weed. Should be in Bartlett's quotations or something, I am glad I could keep it alive. Hey, where's your pic? I showed you mine now you show me yours ( it doesn't have to be the real deal, of course)

Thanks @BroCoast , you put me in lofty company with that oblique, eccentric, absurdist nihilistic @u0421793. I know I am just another asshole, but lately I have been entertaining the image of Don Quixote wearing a Guy Fawkes mask... Tilting at windmills and when that fails blowing them up. I try to make my idiocies as entertaining as possible while doing as much subliminal damage as I can, Glad you enjoy it, but look out for a rash between your toes.

@fruitbat, I feel your pain.

Eh? I wasn’t reading this thread, and yet I’m mentioned – what’s it about?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Michael does an admirable job with this site. I appreciate his setting it up and doing an excellent job moderating.

I hope folks appreciate what a thankless job it is running a discussion board and maintaining that balance between lively conversation and utter chaos into which so many communities fall.

Thanks for saying :blush: I think I could be much better at it, but it's way hard and I'm time poor! Still on the fence about whether to make it a permanent ban or a temp one for Dawdles. At some stage one has to ask whether someone is good for the health of a community or not.

• edited November 2018

@McDtracy said:
    @Dawdles banned? As a community we have failed to really listen. I hope it's a timeout. I like spices in my food.

There's a lesson to take away. If anyone is that passionate about an app (an update in this case). Let them vent. Trying to change their mind won't work. It actually in a few cases makes them get even more angry. That's what happened here. It makes him "righteously indignant". Our collective inability to just listen to his view and not attack him becomes the real problem.

"Just shut up." is a failure to communicate. "I hear you." gets a better result.

Now he's got even more anger to manage. I have some family members that have these traits and silence is the right way to manage the episode. It's not usually personal it just feels that way to the listener. Let them get the feelings out. They usually come back and make amends for feeling too much.

It gets really intense when people with these personality traits lock horns. Feuds are started with this dynamic. My family is experiencing one right now.

I'm sure @Dawdles makes music by the way and wants MIDI AU to record in BM3 or any other powerful app. That's his current workflow to make live music.

Try telling the @LinearLineman to "shut the fuck up" about teaching jazz improvisation. Keep your guard up... he throws a mean metaphor and loves a good debate. I had a father like that once. We'd go for rounds until my Mother would put us in a time out.

I have learned I'd rather be effective than to be right. Thanks Dad.
    (I still think I'm right but I let others 'win' if it advances my cause).

Make no mistake. @Dawdles needed the timeout. BM3 3.1 was his hope for the new thing. It actually should still be since they released a 3.0.11 update but the fact that the code for 3.1 has been spotted in the wild and then this? Give him some room folks. It ain't pretty after all that bent up demand for working code.

What App are you waiting for? Getting angry yet? Me too. Rumor has it they are working on it.

Recognize the passion and let them vent when you see it. It will pass. Be a better listener and less judgemental even when the anger seems like the issue.

Excellent.. life would be so boring if we all were clones..
    🙏 Thanks..

• @shiftsynth1 said:

@McDtracy said:
    I'm sure @Dawdles makes music by the way

Me too.

I asked him (privately) for a link once and he told me he sets up his hardware and software and plays live. So, no recordings to share.

I had confronted him on a thread previously so there could have been a lack of trust. Probably a good idea because I'd be sharing any music now (unless he asked me not to).

I like to hear everyone's approach to making music. He has obviously invested a lot of time in the details of many important Apps.

I learned that if he wasn't openly confronted he usually calmed down and even apologized but when the pushbacks just kept him enraged he couldn't let it go.

He taught me to just listen to strong opinions and not bother to change someone's mind. It's a skill I still have a lot of work to perfect. There are trigger's for all of us that turn up the heat.

I do love a good debate but I find myself just using "save draft" and seeing how I feel about something after a while.

• @u0421793 , it was a compliment. Better just leave it at that or read the damn thread.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @u0421793 , it was a compliment. Better just leave it at that or read the damn thread.

😂

• edited November 2018

@McDtracy said:
    I learned that if he wasn't openly confronted he usually calmed down and even apologized but when the pushbacks just kept him enraged he couldn't let it go.

He taught me to just listen to strong opinions and not bother to change someone's mind. It's a skill I still have a lot of work to perfect. There are trigger's for all of us that turn up the heat.

I do love a good debate but I find myself just using "save draft" and seeing how I feel about something after a while

That’s the definition of hypocrisy. He hammered in his points on numerous occasions on numerous threads and it’s questionable whether he took any practical steps to resolve his issues. For example he wasn’t using BM3 because it didn’t suit his needs and he ignored suggestions on other ways to get the results, because he was too lazy and righteous to change his obscure workflow. He may or may not have contacted developers but he aggravated everyone by incessantly bitching and whining. No one pushed him, and if you actually believe that then you were deceived and manipulated into thinking that by his cries of victimhood.

There’s a term for that and it’s called gaslighting.

I say good riddance. And I applaud @Michael for the patience and discretion in moderating this forum.

• @McDtracy said:

@shiftsynth1 said:

@McDtracy said:
    I'm sure @Dawdles makes music by the way

Me too.

I asked him (privately) for a link once and he told me he sets up his hardware and software and plays live. So, no recordings to share.

I had confronted him on a thread previously so there could have been a lack of trust. Probably a good idea because I'd be sharing any music now (unless he asked me not to).

I like to hear everyone's approach to making music. He has obviously invested a lot of time in the details of many important Apps.

I do love a good debate but I find myself just using "save draft" and seeing how I feel about something after a while.

Thank you for sharing your perspective with us.

I try to assume that I really don’t know people here in order to avoid offending or causing them needless grief because they may have a lot going on and the forum/music can be a way for them to forget about their worries for awhile. My approach is strongly influenced by my own circumstances so I don’t expect others to be so reserved or cautious in their posts here.

I know that if I don’t carefully monitor my own behavior here it would become very problematic which is why I tend to largely be reserved and not very personable. Even though there are many things I find annoying about what goes on here, I value the overall experience and try to resist the urge to lash out or persuade people to conform to how I wish they’d do things (a fool’s illusory paradise to sure).

Many enjoy the banter and humor here (which is good) even though I avoid forming personal connections here due to my own ongoing issues.

I really appreciate @Michael for encouraging us to govern ourselves and in my opinion he minimizes his moderation interventions. I would fail miserably in his shoes.

• good lord what have I spawned??

So this thread was really about getting bored with bickering and negativity and it certainly wasn’t just Dawdles. Two to tango and all that.

@Michael unless you know something we don’t then a temp ban sounds fitting rather then permanent but totally your call. He may not be interested in getting involved again anyway. I actually agreed with many of his concerns.

So I hope this thread now dies peacefully and more fun threads can float to the top!

It’s Friday night here!

• @gusgranite said:
    @Michael unless you know something we don’t then a temp ban sounds fitting rather then permanent but totally your call. He may not be interested in getting involved again anyway. I actually agreed with many of his concerns.

Yeah he's had about three separate warnings already for uncivil behaviour. Probably enough cause

• edited November 2018

I found him a very strong personality and the usual hiphopheadz actitude but I found him very interesting user too. I made a joke about clowns also from its avatar... but I fill a disclaimer since I appreciate him.
    I think the BM3 post had drive people out of their minds and IMHO it makes also a picture of the turbulences in the iOS platform itself.
    IDK the reasons behind his ban but I feel all of us need to take some fresh air from the forum/internet time to time.

About devs... there are indies and majors with different approaches. I can discuss with @brambos even without having one of his apps an still keep myself respectful. I can also be so beligerant with @AmpifyxNovation due I try every single comunication channel when iOS11 wreck my experience and I can’t understand why they keep releasing samplepacks but didn’t fix glitches but that’s my opinion not the gospel truth.
    Respect the costumer and you will get respect in response. Become an asshole and you will get anger and probably some montyphyton at you.

That’s how real world works too. Troll yourself to avoid others trolling you and don’t get too much energy on dramas or they will ride you.

I’ll miss you mates but since I don’t use AB3 and Michael Masterpiece is not an app anymore :wink: (aside I’m looking into rc505 like this :smirk: ) I probably will buy a clown mask and get serious about trolling ampify for the taste of a ban :trollface:

Just kidding... I will go towards @Brambos to fill the first rule of ban Mastering... don’t get installed any app from my target :lol:

trying to be serious it’s sad how weird we can get sometimes. I hope @Dawdles is fine and return to the forum... just wait until I left it, please...
    :trollface: :wink: :heart:

• @knewspeak said:
    No just bingo and tits, for me.

I just want to chime in and mention that Bingo and Tits is my least-favorite Adam Sandler movie.

• edited November 2018

@infocheck said:

I learned that if he wasn't openly confronted he

I try to assume that I really don’t know people here in order to avoid offending or causing them needless grief because they may have a lot going on and the forum/music can be a way for them to forget about their worries for awhile. My approach is strongly influenced by my own circumstances so I don’t expect others to be so reserved or cautious in their posts here.

I know that if I don’t carefully monitor my own behavior here it would become very problematic which is why I tend to largely be reserved and not very personable. Even though there are many things I find annoying about what goes on here, I value the overall experience and try to resist the urge to lash out or persuade people to conform to how I wish they’d do things (a fool’s illusory paradise to sure).

Many enjoy the banter and humor here (which is good) even though I avoid forming personal connections here due to my own ongoing issues.

I really appreciate @Michael for encouraging us to govern ourselves and in my opinion he minimizes his moderation interventions. I would fail miserably in his shoes.

@infocheck, I just wanted to say how much I appreciated your post. You seem to be able to exert a self control many of us ( inc myself)?seem unable to accomplish. Especially considering the " circumstances" you mention. It is rare that one can so successfully self monitor for the sake of all concerned. I am sorry we do not get peeks at the real you. There is probably a lot there we are missing.

@michael, I, too, hope the ban is temporary, tho some remarks made have influenced me and probably convinced me that your decision has been sagacious, as usual. Your remark about "health of the community" gave me pause, however. I finally understood it as... someone like Dawdles inspires reactive behavior in some members. I was one, but for me it was a learning opportunity. I guess I look at the forum as a social experiment amongst its many charms. Dawdles, aside from his inflammatory manner provides a friction that can, in some cases, be constructive. If you know the Turkish mystic, Gurdjieff you know he was in favor of such abrasives for soul scouring.

OT Michael, I just want to praise you for an aspect of the forum mechanics. The @%#}€£ function that notifies members that they are mentioned or referred to. Not present on the other forums I attend. Did you invent that? Brilliant!

• @LinearLineman said:
    OT Michael, I just want to praise you for an aspect of the forum mechanics. The @%#}€£ function that notifies members that they are mentioned or referred to. Not present on the other forums I attend. Did you invent that? Brilliant!

That's just Vanilla, the forum software I'm using :)

• @gusgranite don't be distressed, although it was unintentional this is a profitable and fun thread. Sorry that Dawdles is the social example that is the glue holding the interest here. Much rather he just civilized a bit. I had not thought about gas lighting for a long time @LucidMusicInc. Perhaps that is the diagnosis that fits. I believe there was a movie about it, or even named that... Charles Boyer? Long time ago. Maybe the term came from there... All pretty vague.

I find myself thinking of this particular thread a lot. Today's thought was about the lack of a female perspective here. It is basically a men's club and we have all the positives and negatives of our gender. I would like to hear a woman's take on all this... With all the positives and negatives of her gender.
    Perhaps one of our few ladies will comment. If is interesting that on PianoWorld there is naturally a better mix, but the women do not participate in these types of discussions debates). Probably another example of their innate wisdom.

@McDtracy Pith(y)?

• @LinearLineman said:
    @u0421793 , it was a compliment. Better just leave it at that or read the damn thread.

I’ll leave it at that, and compliment you back by the way, cheers.
    Looking at the few thread comments in the vicinity it looks a bit negative and possibly poisonous and I haven’t got time for that in my life, I suggest nobody else has either. See you all in a happier thread.

• edited November 2018

@LinearLineman i won’t say anything else about him. I’m mostly amused about the whole episode but I will take this opportunity to own up to my mistakes and apologise to any and all whom I may have offended or slighted in the past. There was one incident over on an Electribe thread where what was initially construed as a joke was worded offensively and I realised that forums such as these require a certain tone that is respectful to other members. In other words joking is fine in measure but mocking and heckling crosses the line. I learned that lesson and I’m not proud of it.

• edited November 2018

The origin of "gas lighting" @LucidMusicInc yep, Charles Boyer, the old memory still humming along.

• Hm.

If Dawdles gets permabanned, I hope it’s for far more than what I’ve seen in this and the BM3 thread. I’m fairly new here, so no history. But I tend to agree with a number of his posts.

Anyway, I’ve noticed that people seem to want to attack posters rather than posters’ opinions these days. It’s one thing to say “your opinion is silly, wrong”, whatever, but if you say “your (sic) a fool”, “you’re stupid”, that’s entirely something else.

I try to approach my interactions with posters with an inherent modicum of respect for the poster, but if they come out of the box throwing personal insults, I will clap back. You might say, well, why do you care about what some random internet stranger says about you? My answer is, in a decent society, we aren’t just being nasty to one another simply for sport. That’s that Trump shit. I’m not trying to be there. We can have a difference of opinion without getting personal. But if you decide to go there, I can go there, too. Yes, I can let it roll off my back most of the time. But that shifts the responsibility of being the adult to the receiver of the abuse rather than the giver. And that’s not cool with me. We all should be adults.

Now, if it’s just jokes and shit talking, and we know each other, that’s cool. But we need to establish that first. More adulting.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @infocheck, I just wanted to say how much I appreciated your post. You seem to be able to exert a self control many of us ( inc myself)?seem unable to accomplish. Especially considering the " circumstances" you mention. It is rare that one can so successfully self monitor for the sake of all concerned. I am sorry we do not get peeks at the real you. There is probably a lot there we are missing.

Thank you for your thoughts. My relatively cold online personality filter is how I cope with some strong tendencies which have at times led to crises. Before iPhones existed I participated in an online mutual support forum which revolved around discussions of our personal problems. During a period of extremely poor judgment, this led to a disastrous relationship in my offline life. While those circumstances are significantly different than the Audiobus forum, I err on the side of caution when it comes to healthy personal boundaries. I now limit myself to offline professional resources, friends, and family to figure out how to cope with my issues.

I think there are plenty of colorful characters here who take up the slack for any of my restrained behavior. Perhaps at some point I will participate in the SOTM which would reveal more of my personality.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:I'm also going to take this opportunity to offer a sincere long overdue apology to @lucas . I'm sorry I was such an arse to you for so long in regards to your app and pricing. Hopefully you can come back and accept my apology. :disappointed:

Thanks, tho I'm not so sure an apology is necessary. You had an opinion. Whats wrong with that?! Glad to see you are open enough to reconsider! Its a strong person that can be influenced.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@lovadamusic said:
    I'm not speaking for the OP, but to me treating devs "like royalty" is hyperbole to mean, appreciate what they sacrifice to make iOS apps, the difficulties they face, and the advantage of being able to talk with them in public here. That doesn't mean, keep quiet and don't dare mention you have a problem. Just don't drive them away with needless confrontation, or use this platform to threaten or try to bully them.

I won't mention names, but some members here have a pattern of antagonism toward developers, certainly those who don't make them happy, whether they don't cater to their pet needs, charge more than they want to spend, don't respond to their complaints fast enough, etc.. As a pattern, it comes across as entitled and self-centered, and so they draw a lot of negativity in their own direction. Then they want to play the victim, and downhill it goes.

Yes, but we all have to take responsibility to how these situations are handled. For example: some here would like most new apps to be AU from the beginning. I include myself in that group. I find it is not worth my while posting that on any new app thread now though, because I know that will turn the thread into something negative. This happens not because people post that they want AU, but because people that tell others what they should want or how they should feel.

If a new app isn’t AU, it’s pretty much guaranteed it gets the same people making the same comments about it. I don’t think it becomes negative unless it begins negative, or if one person repeats themselves numerous times in the same thread. Some people come off as hostile or overly pushy. Just informing the developer that they want AU shouldn’t be a problem for anyone, any more than any other feature request.

I think the AUv3 posts could be a bit annoying for some people who don’t need everything to be AU but, on this forum at least, there’s a group who argue that it’s practically always a necessity. So do developers feel pressured to try to satisfy the loudest (most repetitive and demanding) voices by devoting time to AU, or more free to focus on other factors that make their app better regardless? Users who don’t live and die with AU tend to want to talk about what the app can do or a variety of ways it can be improved, which doesn’t come across as a narrow ultimatum dismissing everything the developer has accomplished. So, right or wrong, I think that’s why demands for AU tend to cause more hostility than we'd expect.

• edited November 2018

@LinearLineman

I feel I need to clarify that sometimes individuals act unconsciously, or irrationally. I have no beef with Dawdles at all I was only trying to make a little levity of the situation and I hope he can return eventually.

The term gaslighting has a strong meaning in psychology but the popular meaning of the term was the one that I intended: the behaviour of when someone stirs up a lot of shit and then pits people against each other directly or indirectly, which is what occurred. I wasn’t making any kind of remark about who he was but in retrospect it looked like it. My bad maybe...

Looking at his previous posts his more recent spat looks like something seriously triggered him.

A lot of us use different platforms like Reddit and YouTube where the rules of civility need not apply, (LULZ) but it’s important to remember that on a forum like this theres a greater probability for misinterpretation and because it’s a small community more care must be paid to respecting all members.

I love a good debate and the occasional flame war, however, so take anything I may have said or may say again in the future with a hefty dose of salt.

To the point about AUs by @lovadamusic , said perfectly. To get the same AU experience as one might on something like a MacBook is going to take years or it may never happen. We’re really in the experimental stages and maybe the technology will improve, it might not. But if we as a community do nothing but berate developers who make the attempt and fail at it, we are only contributing to the problem when we should be at least neutral if not supportive.

• @LucidMusicInc, this thread seems to have brought out a lot of introspection and understanding in many of us. Seems to have turned very positive. @gusgranite, rest easy. All is well.