Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Studio Amplify - looking for new app ideas.

Comments

• Dirt simple, single-track AU audio looper with overdubbing. Three buttons: play, record, clear. Single tap on clear would clear the last overdub. Double tap would clear the entire thing. Setting a loop length in bars before recording would be fine but dynamic control ala Loopy would be a bonus. When the recording it over, it immediate starts playing. It starts and stops with host tempo. Controls exposed as AU params so they can be triggered via the hosts MIDI mapping facilities.

We have lots of great looper apps but still no super simple looper for AU hosts. Basically the feature set of the Line-6 DL4's looper. :)

Bonuses. I'd happily shell out extra via IAP for these.

Bonus 1: Like the DL4... "Half speed" effect that would slow down and stretch the audio. If you record in this mode, turning it off would double the speed of what you recorded.

Bonus 2: Also like the DL4... "Reverse" effect. If you overdub with this mode engaged the existing loop plays in reverse. If you then disengage it the part you just recorded is now played backwards and the original loop is played forwards.

Bonus 3: if it could 'unfold' the overdubbed loops later for editing or arranging in your DAW of choice (via Files app, preferably). So I guess it would have two export options: a single mixed loop or split by overdubs.

Bonus 4: start position can be automated, because, fun. :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    AU midi devices.
    [snip]
    I think as you’ve already done some alternative forms of onscreen note input in KRFT, this would be right up your street.

Very yes, this. Scale based keyboards, alternative key layouts (ala KRFT and/or stuff like a fret board...), etc.

What if that led to a KRFT IAP that allowed a user to create a layout, export it to the FILES app and then import it into the new AU?

• Big playable grid with internal scales and internal sequencers like the Yamaha tenori-on.

Say, 8x16. You could zoom a section to make it more like a 4x4 MPC pad layout.

If it had a sequencer, could use it as a drum programmer. Or, with scale support, as a tenori-on type note sequencer.

If each row were independent sequencers, you could set each track to different lengths for poly-metric goodness.

• edited November 2018

Hi, a super simple full screen wav editor with looping , bpm and key change.
    Keep it very clean and simple and you’ll sell every one.

• MIDI Event List editor. Something that would let us import a MIDI file, filter out and/or edit certain events and then export it again. Better, of course, would be if it worked as a MIDI AU and allowed for recording to it but stand alone editor would be swimming. Some CakeWalk DOS 2.0 features like "Select all velocities within range from X to Y" and "replace all X with Y" and "Scale all X by Y", etc, would be awesome.

• MIDI LFOs AU with hand drawn shapes and absurdly slow clock divisions.

Bonus: if it could listen for keydown events to trigger them.
    Bonus part 2: if you could set a filter on the midi note input so it was only triggered by certain notes. That way you could point a pattern at it and have it only listen for your Kick drum note and then point the LFO at something like RuisMaker's Kick decay.

• A "Song arranger" for stuff like the Rozeta suite. Rozeta allows for pattern changes and transposition via MIDI which is awesome. Currently though, it's pretty hard to group those changes across many instances into a cohesive song.

I imagine the UI would be very simple—send 1 or more MIDI messages to 1 or more destinations at specific bars. So, say, you sent 5 messages at bar 1. Then 4 messages at bar 9, 5 at bar 10, etc. Could be timeline/track based or it could even look like a MIDI event list with the ability to insert events, copy and paste events, edit the time or note events, etc.

Bonus: loop a section of the song so that you could, for instance, work on the bridge for a bit.
    Bonus: it was rozeta aware out of the box (correct midi notes for transpose and correct notes for pattern changes) but was flexible enough to send anything anywhere.
    Bonus: Some way to do ramping so that you could, for instance, fade out an AUM fader.

• MIDI Humanizer. Delay notes a bit, adjust velocities a bit, omit notes occasionally, etc. Can't really pull notes forward I imagine but if that's possible within the current buffer setting, even better.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    If you’re that short of ideas it doesn’t bode well for the longevity of your next project...

unfortunately ... seconded o:)

• Start up hothouse here (and that's just @syrupcore), we should be selling tickets...

• @Telefunky said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:
    If you’re that short of ideas it doesn’t bode well for the longevity of your next project...

They should hire @syrupcore .
    Brimming over with great ideas.
    Well thought out, too.
    Not just some ‘flinging poo at the wall’ type of ideas.
    B)

• @syrupcore said:
    MIDI LFOs AU with hand drawn shapes and absurdly slow clock divisions.

Bonus: if it could listen for keydown events to trigger them.
    Bonus part 2: if you could set a filter on the midi note input so it was only triggered by certain notes. That way you could point a pattern at it and have it only listen for your Kick drum note and then point the LFO at something like RuisMaker's Kick decay.

I highly second this. Would literally throw my money at the screen immediately if this happened.

• I have thoughts!

@MonzoPro said:

Just my opinion - but when I look at new apps to buy I checkout the devs other products first, and in particular the support and update history. A history of regular updates gives me confidence to buy the new stuff, even if it's only a few new presets. On a fast moving platform such as this, regular support and updates are as important to me as the product itself.

Agreed, but the fact is, these guys worked their asses off, making update after magical update. Then the app came out and for whatever reason, it did not take off. I think it would be absurd to expect the developers to throw good money after bad. The app is super-solid. For whatever reason, it didn't click.

@syrupcore said:
    MIDI Event List editor. Something that would let us import a MIDI file, filter out and/or edit certain events and then export it again. Better, of course, would be if it worked as a MIDI AU and allowed for recording to it but stand alone editor would be swimming. Some CakeWalk DOS 2.0 features like "Select all velocities within range from X to Y" and "replace all X with Y" and "Scale all X by Y", etc, would be awesome.

For the love of God no! :) No one but the Boffins™ wants something like this. It hurts to even look at.

@Telefunky said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

You're holding market research against these guys? They put everything into KRFT: it was a real musician's music app. I think it's wise to take the temperature of the fanatics here.

• I would like Samplr with Link and the ability to host FX.

I would also like an audio editor that was as robust in its file management as AudioShare but was as fine-grained as BM3.

I would like the sampler from BM3 removed from its overcomplicated DAW.

• @syrupcore said:

Hey Will, what is this a screenshot of? Cheers.

• I don’t know what that is but yea!

@Korakios said:

@MrSmileZ said:
    An audio unit sample mangler with spectral sonogram editing such as iris 2

That would also be cool :) But also making the spectrum a 3D object in the iPad would be better B)

• edited November 2018

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Telefunky said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

You're holding market research against these guys? They put everything into KRFT: it was a real musician's music app. ...

No, I'm holding nothing against them - but that question posted (what do you want us to do ?) totally contradicts my (personal) understanding of developement or product design.

KRFT didn't convince me (after thorough consideration) - while I'm open minded towards innnovative or interesting approaches and not even $50 app prices would shriek me away.
    But this 'loose of confidence' really has nothing to do with KRFT.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I have thoughts!

@MonzoPro said:

Just my opinion - but when I look at new apps to buy I checkout the devs other products first, and in particular the support and update history. A history of regular updates gives me confidence to buy the new stuff, even if it's only a few new presets. On a fast moving platform such as this, regular support and updates are as important to me as the product itself.

Agreed, but the fact is, these guys worked their asses off, making update after magical update. Then the app came out and for whatever reason, it did not take off. I think it would be absurd to expect the developers to throw good money after bad. The app is super-solid. For whatever reason, it didn't click.

@syrupcore said:
    MIDI Event List editor. Something that would let us import a MIDI file, filter out and/or edit certain events and then export it again. Better, of course, would be if it worked as a MIDI AU and allowed for recording to it but stand alone editor would be swimming. Some CakeWalk DOS 2.0 features like "Select all velocities within range from X to Y" and "replace all X with Y" and "Scale all X by Y", etc, would be awesome.

For the love of God no! :) No one but the Boffins™ wants something like this. It hurts to even look at.

@Telefunky said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

You're holding market research against these guys? They put everything into KRFT: it was a real musician's music app. I think it's wise to take the temperature of the fanatics here.

+1000

• @SpookyZoo said:

@syrupcore said:

Hey Will, what is this a screenshot of? Cheers.

I grabbed it from google images but I'm pretty sure it's Logic X.

• @ExAsperis99 Boffins are people too™!

• edited November 2018

Hello. Please do the following: just take iKaossilator, copies it’s features, functions, GUI conventions exactly, add a shit ton of awesome original presets and sounds, double the track limit, slap a new coat of paint on it, and call it a day. Then just add 15 new sounds every month as IAP. Thanks!

On second thought, forget the IAP. 4.99 a month subscription! Let this be the “live touch screen recording” answer to Auxy’s “piano roll only” bullshit. If they can pull that off, y’all can certainly pull this off.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask

• @syrupcore said:
    @ExAsperis99 Boffins are people too™!

Now THAT is a T-shirt I’d pay for.

• Random thoughts:

--an app that detects tempo from incoming MIDI note ons (see BeatSeeker max4live device) to sync sequencers via Link

--an app that allows musicians to easily map still images and videos to incoming MIDI notes/CCs for live multi media display (reuse parts of FREQ!)

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I would like Samplr with Link and the ability to host FX.

I would also like an audio editor that was as robust in its file management as AudioShare but was as fine-grained as BM3.

I would like the sampler from BM3 removed from its overcomplicated DAW.

Yes this. Syrupcore’s looper idea as well.

• A simple to use generative music app with a unique fun interface.
    It would work immediately with built in sounds but have deeper features like sending midi and tweaking the generators.

• AUs have less overhead than standalones. maybe a cool step fx/modulatory stuttery/filtery step fxy thingy.

• edited November 2018

I WANT an AUv3 dirtbox.....
    SP1200........MPC60 .......SP303 dirty
    That makes anything sampled into it sound PHAT and DUSTY
    IT could be an AUv3 effect unit as well with full access to the LO-FI dirty effect
    load it on an effect slot in Cubasis and your synth will be PHATTER and Dirtier.
    give it VINYL, HALFTIME, WARBLE. LO-FI, CRACKLE, etc 12 BIT FILTER
    Make it a standalone beast as well sample into it
    Manipulate each sample independently, TUNE down a snare or kick foe extra PHATNESS
    GiVE it unorthodox SWNG Humanization, enable programming off the grid in standalone
    Audiobus and Audioshare integration open in enabled
    Give it the ability to output to 8 tracks to Cubasis or Auria Pro tracks or to Audioshare
    WE NEED a super duper LO-FI app
    Please make it thanks

• edited November 2018

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I have thoughts!

@MonzoPro said:

I never suggested rewriting the app and putting lots more work into it, and they’ve already stated that’s not commercially viable.

However, an app that hasn’t been updated for over a year starts to look abandoned. My suggestion is to do some quick cosmetic tweaks and create a few presets, which will be nothing compared to the work that’s already gone into it.

An update will get existing customers to revisit the app, generate forum chatter and user videos, and give customers confidence to buy their new products when released.

It’s marketing and customer service, and in business it’s as important as making a great product.

My opinion is that it’s not commercially viable NOT to do this. Personally, if that’s the end of KRFT updates then I won’t buy the new stuff.

• edited November 2018

@MonzoPro said:
    However, an app that hasn’t been updated for over a year starts to look abandoned. My suggestion is to do some quick cosmetic tweaks and create a few presets, which will be nothing compared to the work that’s already gone into it.

I read these kind of things often around here, and quite frankly I don't get it. Just put work into something for the sake of changing a "last updated" date? What if the product is finished and doesn't need extra work? Doesn't necessarily mean it's abandoned. Could also mean it just works as intended and doesn't require maintenance (yet).

Repectfully, that's a somewhat ridiculous thing to demand from a developer.

• @brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:

I read these kind of things often around here, and quite frankly I don't get it. Just put work into something for the sake of changing a "last updated" date? What if the product is finished and doesn't need extra work? Doesn't necessarily mean it's abandoned. Could also mean it just works as intended and doesn't require maintenance (yet).

Repectfully, that's a somewhat ridiculous thing to demand from a developer.

I'm not demanding anything. The developer created a thread on here and asked for feedback. I've made a suggestion based on my experiences as a customer, and as someone who has worked in the marketing and PR side of design for nearly 40 years - some of that with major software companies.

The next time a develoer asks for feedback on here I'll keep my unwanted opinions to myself.

I'm out.