Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Studio Amplify - looking for new app ideas.

Comments

• @MonzoPro said:
    as someone who has worked in the marketing and PR side of design for nearly 40 years - some of that with major software companies.

Then you should know as no other that frivolously spending hours of unnecessary work on finished projects is not always a healthy business practice. You can only spend each hour of your life once.

• @syrupcore said:
    MIDI Event List editor. Something that would let us import a MIDI file, filter out and/or edit certain events and then export it again. Better, of course, would be if it worked as a MIDI AU and allowed for recording to it but stand alone editor would be swimming. Some CakeWalk DOS 2.0 features like "Select all velocities within range from X to Y" and "replace all X with Y" and "Scale all X by Y", etc, would be awesome.

Yes

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@syrupcore said:
    @ExAsperis99 Boffins are people too™!

Now THAT is a T-shirt I’d pay for.

I'm in :D

• @ExAsperis99
    @brambos said:
    You can only spend each hour of your life once.

That's another T-Shirt i'd buy :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@syrupcore said:
    MIDI Event List editor. Something that would let us import a MIDI file, filter out and/or edit certain events and then export it again. Better, of course, would be if it worked as a MIDI AU and allowed for recording to it but stand alone editor would be swimming. Some CakeWalk DOS 2.0 features like "Select all velocities within range from X to Y" and "replace all X with Y" and "Scale all X by Y", etc, would be awesome.

Yes

It's a little code heavy but doesn't this describe Stream byter in Midifire?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@syrupcore said:

Yes

Not really, this is for opening a recorded MIDI file and being able to edit individual MIDI Events, stream byter is for realtime changes.

• @1nsomniak said:
    A simple to use generative music app with a unique fun interface.
    It would work immediately with built in sounds but have deeper features like sending midi and tweaking the generators.

This is a fun idea. Is there previous work like this ?

• @db909 said:
    Hello. Please do the following: just take iKaossilator, copies it’s features, functions, GUI conventions exactly, add a shit ton of awesome original presets and sounds, double the track limit, slap a new coat of paint on it, and call it a day. Then just add 15 new sounds every month as IAP. Thanks!

On second thought, forget the IAP. 4.99 a month subscription! Let this be the “live touch screen recording” answer to Auxy’s “piano roll only” bullshit. If they can pull that off, y’all can certainly pull this off.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask

^^^ lmaooooo but it would sell!!!! That’s the crazy part lol. Then people would request a piano roll and you could just say no like Auxy does to any other input method lol

• @syrupcore said:

Would use the hell out of something like this.

• There's a big need for AUv3 midi sequencers and devices.

There's a plethora of Max for live devices out there to take inspiration from and most of those have fairly weak interfaces, which ipad versions could benefit from expanding on in design and playability for touch.

This would appeal to desktop users as well as solo ipadders.

• @weepy said:

@1nsomniak said:
    A simple to use generative music app with a unique fun interface.
    It would work immediately with built in sounds but have deeper features like sending midi and tweaking the generators.

This is a fun idea. Is there previous work like this ?

Gestrument Pro? TC-data? Etc

• @AndyPlankton said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@syrupcore said:

Yes

Not really, this is for opening a recorded MIDI file and being able to edit individual MIDI Events, stream byter is for realtime changes.

Ah yes, gotcha.

• Whatever it is you decide to do, I hope you make it Auv3.

Modular thinking clearly has a lot of appeal right now. I am drawn to this approach myself. Rather than one app that does it all.. several apps that do one thing really well, and all working together in patchable ways.

Auv3 that are lacking imo:

-AI / generative or algorithmic composition tools (midi and/or audio)
    -midi tools and midi effects
    -spectral/modulation effects (like GRM Tools or Soundhack)
    -a plugin that runs pure data patches
    -dead simple, real-time sampler/mangler
    -microtonal tuning plugin that retunes over midi using scala tunings.
    -convolution reverb!! (can't believe one doesn't exist - it would be a hit)
    -a simple control interface for controlling other apps within the host. think something like midi designer, but that wasn't hideous, yet as simple as KRFT to lay out. Create custom multipurpose controllers that you can map to anything that accepts CC, and that can send Program Changes, nrpn, sysex, to hardware etc. Sort of a master controller pane for performance. I know that's a tall order, but you asked... :)

• edited November 2018

@icsleepers said:

@db909 said:
    Hello. Please do the following: just take iKaossilator, copies it’s features, functions, GUI conventions exactly, add a shit ton of awesome original presets and sounds, double the track limit, slap a new coat of paint on it, and call it a day. Then just add 15 new sounds every month as IAP. Thanks!

On second thought, forget the IAP. 4.99 a month subscription! Let this be the “live touch screen recording” answer to Auxy’s “piano roll only” bullshit. If they can pull that off, y’all can certainly pull this off.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask

^^^ lmaooooo but it would sell!!!! That’s the crazy part lol. Then people would request a piano roll and you could just say no like Auxy does to any other input method lol

Hell yeah it would sell. Because it would be simple and straightforward, sound great, and most importantly be very fun to use. People would absolutely crank out material. Pair it with an official forum and you’re even more golden

• edited November 2018

As said already, an AU audio/midi (real-time) looper for aum, with midi cc for foot pedal control. A huge vacancy; you will make money and make many happy😃

• General Workflow features for any app:
    1. Long Press app icon to select from recent projects / other files
    2. Keyboard Shortcuts for each area of app (examples would be Keyboard Shortcuts for toggling Link/Sync on-off, Transport Controls, Browser Navigation with Arrow Keys, Open/Close any Slideover Windows / Settings.
    3. Siri Shortcuts - Donate Presets/Encoding Options/Sync Options / BLE MIDi Advertisement etc. For apps that integrate with Apple Music would like to see Shortcuts options for that API, or even http web players etc.
    4. Any Synth or other app that has MIDI Capability Inquiry (Fairly sure it’s baked into iOS 12 & macOS Mojave).
    5. More apps with CC maps like the Moog Apps - next best to Capability Inquiry as you can utilize CC maps in desktop DAW.
    6. More apps with Ableton’s Set Export.
    7. I wouldn’t mind an Audiobus MIDI monitor/generator/processor app - basically most of the break-out apps, but consolidated back into a MidiFlow GUI for AB3.
    8. Maybe this exists - but is there an ID3 Tag Reader/Writer. An app that could add ID3 Tags to Music/Video Libraries, with the different ID3 versions. Batch Editing / Search features etc.
    9. Single app that generates/processes/translates all forms of Timecode - also anything that provided some clue as to the latency points in a given audio session/chain etc would be very helpful - especially if it was accurate and provided offsets etc. Also include MTC/MMC/MSC/CV.
    10. An app that takes advantage of the Bluetooth 5 Audio Enhancements (I beleive larger packet sizes, latency improvements, and connectionless - are all possible features.
    11. More apps that take advantage of MultiRoute (like AB3 & ZMors).
    12. While I use Studiomux very reliably - I’d say there’s room for another UDP-based audio transport between macOS & iOS.
    13. Not sure if possible. - but an app that could connect up with macOS’ AUNetSend/Receive - would be terrific to have similar low latency audio between the two with Bonjour.
    14. A more user-friendly SysEx App - something that allows quick conversions, checks, drag/drop, good presets - and easy setups for differing external requirements, like message delays, truncating, and error-checking for interrupts. User-Shared Presets would really be great, such that all the various synths could be centrally organized. There’s plenty of apps that work w/ SysEx, but none seem to make it easy (to me).
    15. Maybe a Lightshow app with DMX/MIDI/MSC - but that also takes advantage of the new external monitor possibilities (Could also use more with ArtNet/SACN/Syphon). Luminaire does a good bit of this - I haven’t tried Lumafusion and a few others that do some video...
    16. An AB3 SoundBoard/Podcasting App similar to Farrago for macOS with MIDI Trigger Pads - Timers - Recording - FX Slot for vocal processing / metering etc.

Thanks!

• I second the idea of a fun and simple to use generative music app. NodeBeat is still one of my favorites, even though it was the very first music app I picked up, when it was free back, back in the day.

• On second thought, forget the IAP. 4.99 a month subscription!

Do you think that perceptions have shifted a little re: subscription model. I think 2 years ago you'd be trolled to death for even suggesting this ... ! But yeah an app like you suggested would be pretty awesome !

• edited November 2018

@weepy said:

On second thought, forget the IAP. 4.99 a month subscription!

Do you think that perceptions have shifted a little re: subscription model. I think 2 years ago you'd be trolled to death for even suggesting this ... ! But yeah an app like you suggested would be pretty awesome !

Please make it so! Auto-erase-replace recording and quick access to an ever expanding library of great sounds for everyone! Don’t forget automation too, but more Figure style automation-a few choice tweaks here and there for each sound. Automation should of course be controlled via the xy pad as well.

• @brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:
    as someone who has worked in the marketing and PR side of design for nearly 40 years - some of that with major software companies.

Then you should know as no other that frivolously spending hours of unnecessary work on finished projects is not always a healthy business practice. You can only spend each hour of your life once.

Wise words. Exactly why I am going to purge my legacy 'tracks in progress' to a difficult to access offline storage device, forget about them and move on to new stuff... very soon, once I make a couple megamixes out of them... ;)

• edited November 2018

@TheOriginalPaulB said:
    If you’re that short of ideas it doesn’t bode well for the longevity of your next project...

There's nothing wrong with a company seeking input from it's current or potential customers. It's research, not desperation.

@brambos

Totally understandable perspective. But I have to admit I also take the last update into account as a secondary input into my purchase decision. Technology moves fast. If an app hasn't been updated for 6+ months, let alone 12+, then it's suspect because, at least those of us on here, that iOS updates tend to break things. It also helps indicate to the buyer the level of interest the developer/company has in supporting what's been created - and reading the updates can let the user know whether it's just maintenance updates or adding new features to also get an idea of where the product is and the value they might get for their money going forward above and beyond the core functionality. I also take the cadence of updates into account. Again, all that is secondary to the app functionality and design. But it's worth keeping in mind for developers that all that information in the app store really can matter - you never know what people will glom onto! :smile:

(I'm a career user researcher and ux designer - but i'm only speaking as a "focus group of one" here, not from data other than my own opinion)

• @brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:

I think you might be reading Monzo wrong here Mr. Bos. Company X may not spend any more time developing a finished product but they very well might continue to spend more time marketing it. I think what Monzo is saying, cheap feeling as it may be, app updates of any kind/size serve as good marketing.

Monzo, sorry if I'm putting words into your mouth!

• @MonzoPro said:

@brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:
    However, an app that hasn’t been updated for over a year starts to look abandoned. My suggestion is to do some quick cosmetic tweaks and create a few presets, which will be nothing compared to the work that’s already gone into it.

I read these kind of things often around here, and quite frankly I don't get it. Just put work into something for the sake of changing a "last updated" date? What if the product is finished and doesn't need extra work? Doesn't necessarily mean it's abandoned. Could also mean it just works as intended and doesn't require maintenance (yet).

Repectfully, that's a somewhat ridiculous thing to demand from a developer.

The developer created a thread on here and asked for feedback.

They didn’t just ask for general feedback, they were pretty specific...
    “We're looking for ideas for new apps that we can make...
    We're particularly looking for simple focussed ideas for tools or things that are missing from your workflow.”

• edited November 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    AU midi devices.

Piano keyboards don’t work well on a touch screen device. Pads are mostly not great in most DAWs. I would like better designs or more preferably some form of designer.

I would like an alternative input method that can then be used in the AU midi slot in Cubasis etc.

I want to be able to connect the device to send midi CCs and hopefully be fully compliant with Roli 5D stuff too.

I need to be able to choose key and scale on the fly or at least have key and scale memories at hand.

I think as you’ve already done some alternative forms of onscreen note input in KRFT, this would be right up your street.

Here’s a couple of examples from Seline Redux Pro that show much easier playing onscreen than a standard piano design. Just for ideas:

Yes!!!!

This kind of thing please.

Buchla Thunder like thing in iOS. What the screen has always been perfect for!

• I had that Seline Synth a long time ago, don't really remember much but just reinstalled it, might be nice to use that keyboard with other synths.

• edited November 2018

@syrupcore said:

@brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:

I think you might be reading Monzo wrong here Mr. Bos. Company X may not spend any more time developing a finished product but they very well might continue to spend more time marketing it. I think what Monzo is saying, cheap feeling as it may be, app updates of any kind/size serve as good marketing.

Monzo, sorry if I'm putting words into your mouth!

No that’s fine, thank you, that's more or less the gist of it.

When an app is released or updated, as I said before, the community respond with forum chatter, revisits and songs, YouTube videos etc. which will raise the profile of that app and hopefully generate more sales. As a side benefit, those of us who avoid apps that haven’t been updated for over a year (we’ve all got piles of broken or abandoned apps now, buyer beware and all that), get confidence that support is ongoing. The idea that a piece of software is ‘finished’, particularly on this platform, is optimistic at the very least. A year is a long time on iOS.

So my suggestion was to give their existing product a quick brush up before moving on to a new one. Not because it needs it, though the hundreds of other suggestions for improvements suggest it may do (I notice none of those got criticised), but to give buyers confidence, generate a bit of pr, and maybe make some new sales in the process.

To be frank, the level of pr and marketing by most developers is pretty poor compared to other businesses, and so for music apps this forum, other blogs, the music making community, and people like Doug most likely make a difference to their sales and raise the company profile. But they need something new to talk about, and an update (Doug loves a new soundbank), gives them an opportunity to do so.

@ksound said:

@MonzoPro said:

@brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:
    However, an app that hasn’t been updated for over a year starts to look abandoned. My suggestion is to do some quick cosmetic tweaks and create a few presets, which will be nothing compared to the work that’s already gone into it.

I read these kind of things often around here, and quite frankly I don't get it. Just put work into something for the sake of changing a "last updated" date? What if the product is finished and doesn't need extra work? Doesn't necessarily mean it's abandoned. Could also mean it just works as intended and doesn't require maintenance (yet).

Repectfully, that's a somewhat ridiculous thing to demand from a developer.

The developer created a thread on here and asked for feedback.

They didn’t just ask for general feedback, they were pretty specific...
    “We're looking for ideas for new apps that we can make...
    We're particularly looking for simple focussed ideas for tools or things that are missing from your workflow.”

Do you know how long it takes to type this stuff on an iPhone SE?

Do you know how many times I had to type ‘pedantic’ in before it stopped changing it to something else?

Do you think I’ll be bothering to provide customer feedback or recommendations again?

That’s right, no I won’t.

• My apologies @MonzoPro for misinterpreting your intentions and directing them at you (through quoting) whereas my sentiments were much more general. (Typing this on an iPod Touch).

• @brambos said:
    My apologies @MonzoPro for misinterpreting your intentions and directing them at you (through quoting) whereas my sentiments were much more general. (Typing this on an iPod Touch).

Thank you. I’m not looking to score points, or put anyone down - I genuinely love this platform and community, and so my suggestions are made to try to help not hinder.

Look forward to the release of Ruismaker Noir.

• @brambos. @MonzoPro
    After the BM3 blowup, thank you for that excellent exchange.
    I kinda was needing to read something like that.
    B)

• @CracklePot said:

After the BM3 blowup, thank you for that excellent exchange.
    I kinda was needing to read something like that.
    B)

Yeah bit scary in there, I avoided that one.