Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi Echo AU

Comments

• @yowza said:
    Does MTS allow using midi AUs?

Yep since the last update which came out a few weeks ago.

Rozeta and a few others work okay but not this one or StreamByter.

• @ccs2 said:

... just testing the (Midi)Trail
    [https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/miditrail/id550882595 ]

nice visualisation!

• Thanks & good luck Mr. Saunders
    It's kind of strange/familiar to see melody as moving structures, there's the option in Quantum @midiSequencer to set the midi channel per step, so drawing in that window (and notes) the form of those colour helices changes ... the miditrail app is quite interesting, but advisable to use it with remote (bt, wifi) etc.

• @ccs2 said:
    Thanks & good luck Mr. Saunders
    It's kind of strange/familiar to see melody as moving structures, there's the option in Quantum @midiSequencer to set the midi channel per step, so drawing in that window (and notes) the form of those colour helices changes ... the miditrail app is quite interesting, but advisable to use it with remote (bt, wifi) etc.

I'm just pleased those pixels are all a uniform length ;)

• Has anyone got this to work in the latest BM3?

• Ok, it seems to work if sequencing a bank with midi from another bank (like using Quantum) but not if using the pads on the bank where MidiEcho is loaded if that makes sense...

• @AndyPlankton said:

@midiSequencer said:
    @AndyPlankton
    The compressor would be similar to Quantum fx Compress - infact I aim to bring all of the other 7 to life as AUv3 midi - as well as a lot of generative sequence midi apps.

:) I look forward to these arriving then.

The timing/velocity wobbler sounds like a quantizer for either timing or velocity. I have this already for the recording app (including strength for time or vel) but would be interesting to apply a 'groove' to live midi!

>
    More like an 'Anti-quantizer', take midi that is quantized (programmed) and move timing away from 'spot on timing' slightly or vary the velocity slightly, using random amounts would give a 'human' feel, and fixed amounts for applying Groove, which was something I didn't twig it could be used for :) You could even do Groove with Humanise by combining fixed amounts with random variation ;)

Note length sounds like a transform of midi input to step sequence. This sounds like it belongs to the quantize
    if you consider start time, velocity, duration as individually quantizable.

Hmm yeah quantize for some uses, but I am thinking about real-time control, like a gate control on a step sequencer but useable on piano roll recorded midi, so you can have a pattern playing staccato, then over time increase the note length so it becomes legato as it plays. You would get a similar effect to if you increased/decreased release time on a synth with short decay and 0 sustain, but be able to use it on sound sources that only have a gate and no envelope.
    An example of a real world use would be, if you have a sample player that has no envelope, and plays the sample for as long as the note is held...load an open hat sound that rings.....use short notes to get closed hat, longer notes for open hat, modulate the note length to swap between the two.

The timing one again sounds like a recording app function - you record your midi then shrink/enlarge it.

Yeah this is more of a utility to be applied offline and not in real time, time stretch for MIDI parts I guess.

Long live the AntiQuantizer >:)

@midiSequencer - you are making SO many seriously creative apps! - keep up the great work

• @midiSequencer have you tested MidiEcho in the latest BM3 release?

• @gusgranite said:
    @midiSequencer have you tested MidiEcho in the latest BM3 release?

BM3 does not support AUv3 midi only apps - only audio ones.

• @midiSequencer said:

@gusgranite said:

I think that has changed with the latest release. I can now run Rozeta and ARPBud which are pure AU Midi I think.

• @gusgranite said:

@midiSequencer said:

@gusgranite said:

I think that has changed with the latest release. I can now run Rozeta and ARPBud which are pure AU Midi I think.

Ah, there is an Midi Fx button - MidiEcho shows up there (as do my other auv3 apps) & open.

I don't know how to use BM3 though...

• @midiSequencer said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    @midiSequencer
    Why limited to 20 repeats?

I use PizMIDI's VST's in my DAW all the time and he has mididelay which is similar (but more powerful in many ways). So I'm pretty familiar with this concept.

I'd like to see:

1) Allow for repeasts that last as long as it takes for the velocity to trail to zero
    2) Allow for a latching mode. So it repeats a note until it gets that note again.

Interesting idea. It was only 10 to start with, then i expanded to 20 but yes, add one more value above that and could have an infinite mode (catering for certain limits that is)

The latching mode sounds weird so not sure how useful that is - do you have a musical example or style in mind?

Yea, it’s useful for drums for example. Send one note for hihat it plays like 16th notes until it gets a note again. That’s just one super obvious example. It’s a cool way to generate rhythms, especially if you modulate things like time, etc.

• Does MIDI Echo load into the FX slot in the MIDI lanes in AB3?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Does MIDI Echo load into the FX slot in the MIDI lanes in AB3?

Yes it does :)

• edited January 2019

Thanks, bought. Somehow I had missed this one completely!

• edited January 2019

@midiSequencer I think I found a bug with midi mapping.

I've tried to midi map in AUM the delay mutes and it's not working...

I map a note on a controller and it will turn ON the delay, but the second press does not turn it back off...
    I map a CC on a button, same thing.
    I map a cc knob, and turn it, and the delay on/off just kind of randomly turns on and off as knob is turned.

Something is broken in your midi/au param code I think... Would REALLY love to be able to control mutes via a controller...

[edit] none of the midi mapping works... Turn knobs on mapped params in AUM, and the MidiEcho controls just spaz out...

• @MonkeyDrummer
    all parameters are value related so for the enables its cc>=64 for on & lower for off. Not sure how notes translate.
    However, this does need to be a toggle type (which ive done for Photon) so will modify this for the echo app & release an update.

• @MonkeyDrummer
    New version submitted to Apple

. Fixed non-working AU Parameters
    . Tap the Title now to switch UI touch method (up/down/left/right) or follow - this replaces the Settings app

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-echo-au/id1422324067?ls=1&mt=8

• I still can’t get this working in BM3. Anyone else?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

Please sir, a little learning for the uninformed: Why would a poor boy buy a midi echo app etc when he already has so many others of the old-money kind?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Please sir, a little learning for the uninformed: Why would a poor boy buy a midi echo app etc when he already has so many others of the old-money kind?

I use it more like an ARP, as a performance tool, rather than like a delay FX

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Yeah, this is pretty much how I use it. You may have seen recent posts about "one finger symphonies" etc and that's how I think about it. I press a note on the keyboard or have a sequencer repeating some simple note progression and then play around with the MIDI filters to get interesting polyrhythms, etc. That's what this MIDI echo does quite nicely as you play with the knobs in it.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Yeah, this is pretty much how I use it. You may have seen recent posts about "one finger symphonies" etc and that's how I think about it. I press a note on the keyboard or have a sequencer repeating some simple note progression and then play around with the MIDI filters to get interesting polyrhythms, etc. That's what this MIDI echo does quite nicely as you play with the knobs in it.

Thank you gents.

• @gusgranite said:
    I still can’t get this working in BM3. Anyone else?

Looks like a bug in midi fx part of BM3 (it works in AB3 & AUM) - technical answer is that BM3 does not supply the mHost timestamp in the render buffer - I use that to know when the sample is to render (and I therefore play one of the midi events)

I will confirm with Intua dev- does anyone know if they are on this forum?

I've also noticed AU Parms are displayed not very well in BM3 (shows high %'s etc) - same goes for Model D in this respect.

If I can work out how to automate AU Params in BM3 I will try that!

• edited January 2019

@midiSequencer said:

@gusgranite said:
    I still can’t get this working in BM3. Anyone else?

Looks like a bug in midi fx part of BM3 (it works in AB3 & AUM) - technical answer is that BM3 does not supply the mHost timestamp in the render buffer - I use that to know when the sample is to render (and I therefore play one of the midi events)

I will confirm with Intua dev- does anyone know if they are on this forum?

I've also noticed AU Parms are displayed not very well in BM3 (shows high %'s etc) - same goes for Model D in this respect.

If I can work out how to automate AU Params in BM3 I will try that!

From my testing, BM3 offers much more information (and much more accurately) than any other host with regards to transport state and/or musical context (sometimes too much for its own good). What are you trying to do? Maybe I can help.

• @blueveek said:
    From my testing, BM3 offers much more information (and much more accurately) than any other host with regards to transport state and/or musical context (sometimes too much for its own good). What are you trying to do? Maybe I can help.

here goes :)

firstly I've noticed timestamp->mHostTime = 0
    this is populated by AUM & Audiobus3.

I've pinged Intua a message. I can get around it (using mach_absolute_time()) but don't want to release a new version if it is a bug with BM3.

secondly - I've no idea how AU parameters are automated in BM3 - but thats me only just starting to use it. AUM has this nicely done - not sure how AB3 does it either though!

thirdly - au parameters are displayed with strange %s - this is probably because I should be using Indexed rather than generic, but I'm not sure just yet if BM3 is ignoring the AU Parameter min/max?

fourthly - running BM3 from Xcode isn't as stable as say running AUM with the app crashing more. This is more of an Xcode issue really, but BM3 does not indicate crashed AUs other than by not displaying the UI. Probably something I will have to live with....

• edited January 2019

@midiSequencer said:

@blueveek said:

firstly I've noticed timestamp->mHostTime = 0
    this is populated by AUM & Audiobus3.

The documented ways of getting transport info are through hostmusicalcontextblock and hosttransportstateblock which have A LOT more information than just host sample time. This is provided by all popular hosts.

I'll DM for more info.

• @midiSequencer @blueveek
    Seeing you two working together has totally made my day!
    :)

• @CracklePot said:
    @midiSequencer @blueveek
    Seeing you two working together has totally made my day!
    :)

lotta guess/hard work goes into midi au's!! Its a pita to test :)

• @midiSequencer said:
    @MonkeyDrummer
    New version submitted to Apple

. Fixed non-working AU Parameters
    . Tap the Title now to switch UI touch method (up/down/left/right) or follow - this replaces the Settings app

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-echo-au/id1422324067?ls=1&mt=8

Thank you for "fixing" the on-screen touch behavior of those knobs!

While I know you can "mute" repeats with the buttons on the bottom, could you ever consider adding a knob/control for "Skip Notes ___"

So regardless of the mute states, you could say turn this control to 3 and it will only send every 3rd note though the repeat?

I think that could help break up some repetition and also allow for things like more interesting basslines built off a melody line.