Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi Echo AU

Comments

• @MonkeyDrummer sure a rotary that sets up a pattern would be good, especially as you could automate it.

These individual mutes become interesting when the delay is 0ms as the unmuted notes become a chord if pitch = 1

• @midiSequencer said:
    @MonkeyDrummer sure a rotary that sets up a pattern would be good, especially as you could automate it.

These individual mutes become interesting when the delay is 0ms as the unmuted notes become a chord if pitch = 1

Yup, I tried that, then noticed you had a preset that did that. :)

BTW, when the tempo knob is set to sync (i.e. musical note values) it moves really weirdly. Like it's jumping to values that are not apparent... Not a huge deal, just an fyi.

• edited January 2019

Is there a demo vid of this app somewhere?

There’s another app I have and love called Echo Pitch. It’s a little buggy and only IAA.

Is this AU Midi Echo essentially the same effect only in AU?

• @skiphunt said:

There’s another app I have and love called Echo Pitch. It’s a little buggy and only IAA.

Echo Pitch is a pitch shifting delay that works with audio.
    Midi Echo does the same, but works with Midi instead of audio.

• @CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

Echo Pitch is a pitch shifting delay that works with audio.
    Midi Echo does the same, but works with Midi instead of audio.

Thx

• Bought this and like it. Not really as close to Echo Pitch as I’d hoped, but cool in its own way... especially if you get several instances going at once. Kinda wish there was a looping feature like Echo Pitch.

I don’t personally have an issue with the dials. They’re a bit sensitive but not bad. Although, tapping the title to adjust how the dials function as listed in the update, doesn’t do anything for me. Unless I’m not tapping the right title?

• edited January 2019

@skiphunt
    From what I can tell, if you long press the title ‘Midi Echo’ the knobs will change from rotary to horizontal/vertical, and change back if you long press again.
    There is no visual feedback for the switching though, so long press and test a knob’s behavior to verify the change.

• @CracklePot said:
    @skiphunt
    From what I can tell, if you long press the title ‘Midi Echo’ the knobs will change from rotary to horizontal/vertical, and change back if you long press again.
    There is no visual feedback for the switching though, so long press and test a knob’s behavior to verify the change.

Thanks a ton for that tip! It makes a huge difference for me to use the horizontal/vertical.

• @CracklePot said:
    @skiphunt

Ah, you are correct. Thx! That explains why I wasn’t getting consistent results with the dials. I’d tried long presses but without visual feedback, sometimes I was set for rotary and other times vertical without realizing it. Now that I know, it’s much better. :)

I like this app and would love to see it continue to evolve.

• @midiSequencer how is is it going with making midiecho work in bm3?
    since we have the veek midi tools, bm3 is the place to be for all kinds of midi fun.

• I just threw up a few quick sketches that use Autony feeding Midi Echo with a lot of real-time fiddling.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30977/a-couple-sketches-with-autony-midi-echo/p1?new=1

Just imagine this is me but with an ipad and a couple midi controllers. :)

• @rototom said:
    @midiSequencer how is is it going with making midiecho work in bm3?
    since we have the veek midi tools, bm3 is the place to be for all kinds of midi fun.

New version should be out now- so works with BM3 & delay(tempo) control sensitivity fixed

• @midiSequencer said:

@rototom said:

New version should be out now- so works with BM3 & delay(tempo) control sensitivity fixed

great. thanks. working now in bm3

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    I just threw up a few quick sketches that use Autony feeding Midi Echo with a lot of real-time fiddling.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30977/a-couple-sketches-with-autony-midi-echo/p1?new=1

Just imagine this is me but with an ipad and a couple midi controllers. :)

Ah, great to know you like Berlin school sequencing, I created MidiSequencer/Quantum just for that style of improvisation - and we all know that needs lots of delay!

• @midiSequencer said:

@rototom said:

Like that the control change is a tap on the title instead of a long press now. Dial control improvement noticed. Thanks!

• @skiphunt said:

Like that the control change is a tap on the title instead of a long press now. Dial control improvement noticed. Thanks!

Strange that its only been a(n invisible) button on the title - it covers the text, but a short tap should be fine.

• @midiSequencer said:

@skiphunt said:

Strange that its only been a(n invisible) button on the title - it covers the text, but a short tap should be fine.

Only long tap worked for me before after someone mentioned it here. After the update, short tap worked fine.

After reading the manual.. noticed the other setting changes too that really opened up the versatility.

• edited April 2019

Wow! @midiSequencer why did I wait so long to get this? If you hook it up just right and run a sequence of slow paced Autony through it you get your own version of FugueMachine.

Autony (running at 1/2 step clock) => synth
    Autony => MidiEcho (2 echoes -5 pitch 1/1 delay) => synth
    Autony => MFXPitch (semitone clone -5 delay 2000ms / 7 500ms => synth

I'm sure I could have done the last piping in MidiEcho (since its AU :smile: ), but it's what I slapped together.

I'll post a bit later.
    Great stuff T

• edited April 2019

@audiblevideo glad you like it, echo of the midi kind adds alot of rhythmic variety to your sequences. Its my favourite midi effect (taken from Quantum)

• Lovely to place Midi Echo after all the new AU Midi sequencers we have now. Sort of like a pitch-shifting delay for Midi.
    @midiSequencer
    How do I Change the knob behavior? It's not in iOS Settings or 'tap the title'. Thanks.

• @ocelot said:
    Lovely to place Midi Echo after all the new AU Midi sequencers we have now. Sort of like a pitch-shifting delay for Midi.
    @midiSequencer
    How do I Change the knob behavior? It's not in iOS Settings or 'tap the title'. Thanks.

it is double tap the title. Next update will add an icon like ive done with polythemus & photon

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

It would be really nice if it remembered the option setting. Not having the behavior be consistent is worse than being able to change it. I finally decided to learn to live with the rotary behavior.

• edited April 2019

@wim said:
    It would be really nice if it remembered the option setting. Not having the behavior be consistent is worse than being able to change it. I finally decided to learn to live with the rotary behavior.

let me add the button & include it in state saving.
    it needs abit of colour correction anyway and I have improved the rotary sensitivity (like in Photon)

Anything else functionality wise you’d like me to add?

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@midiSequencer said:

@wim said:

let me add the button & include it in state saving.
    it needs abit of colour correction anyway and I have improved the rotary sensitivity (like in Photon)

Anything else functionality wise you’d like me to add?

Honestly, I’d rather see it as a global preference for each app. Sorry, but I just expect the UI of apps to act the same way every time I open them. If it’s going to be saved only in the preset, then I will probably just continue to use rotary. I’ve gotten better at doing that, though I still can’t say I like it.

As for features for midi echo? I’ve only just begun to get my head around it yesterday. It’s fabulous. 😎

One thought ... I got a kick out of using 1 step pitch with very small delay and echo mutes to get strummed chords. But the chords were out of scale as I played different notes. So I added Rozeta Scaler after Midi Echo, and had instant one finger strummed chords. Very cool. That’s a long way of suggesting maybe to build in scale constraints to the echos. Not really needed, but was all I could think of.

Oh wait. I remembered thinking pan and taper related to volume, and finally learning they relate to pitch. I think having adjustable attenuation (decrease or increase) of the echo note velocity over time would be cool. [edit] nvm - that’s what gain does.

Ping pong in the stereo panning sense would be nice too, but might confuse people when pan doesn’t work because the receiving synth doesn’t support cc 10 for panning. I’ve seen people tripped up over this with Quantum. Still, it would be cool.

Great app!

• @midiSequencer said:

@ocelot said:
    Lovely to place Midi Echo after all the new AU Midi sequencers we have now. Sort of like a pitch-shifting delay for Midi.
    @midiSequencer

it is double tap the title. Next update will add an icon like ive done with polythemus & photon

Tried double-tapping 'Midi Echo' in Audiobus 3, apeMatrix, and Beatmaker 3, but couldn't get the option to display. No worries, looking forward to the update. :)

• Maybe an idea for another AU Midi:
    An analog shift register, aka 'arabesque arpeggio machine' like the Toppobrillo Quantimator Eurorack module.

http://www.toppobrillo.com/quantimator.html (the demo videos and audio aren't very good).

The Quantimator is a multifunctional quantizer concept designed to derive a trio of interrelated and musically useful control-voltages from a single control source. There are 2 distinct modes of operation- a CHORD mode and a SCALE mode.

In "Chord Mode", a control source (sequencer, etc.) is quantized to the nearest semitone value [1/12V] within a 5 octave range; 2 other control values are generated, according to chord-type, to form a 'chord' (available at outs 2 and 3) when used with multiple 1V/OCT VCOs..the HOLD input will cause the outputs to hold their value when high- Triggers received in this state will "rotate" the outputs arpeggio style! there are 32 chord types available in any key.

In "scale mode" an input is quantized according to the selected scale. Values are passed down the line ["Analog" Shift Register style] with each trigger (1 to 2, 2 to 3..) when HOLD is initiated, no new values are acquired and the data in memory will be continually looped to the 3 outputs with each trigger. There are 32 scales available in 2 banks of 16. Bank and mode are indicated in the 7-segment LEDs decimal places.

There might be some ties to Kymatica, I'm not sure.

• @ocelot said:
    Maybe an idea for another AU Midi:
    An analog shift register, aka 'arabesque arpeggio machine' like the Toppobrillo Quantimator Eurorack module.

http://www.toppobrillo.com/quantimator.html (the demo videos and audio aren't very good).

The Quantimator is a multifunctional quantizer concept designed to derive a trio of interrelated and musically useful control-voltages from a single control source. There are 2 distinct modes of operation- a CHORD mode and a SCALE mode.

In "Chord Mode", a control source (sequencer, etc.) is quantized to the nearest semitone value [1/12V] within a 5 octave range; 2 other control values are generated, according to chord-type, to form a 'chord' (available at outs 2 and 3) when used with multiple 1V/OCT VCOs..the HOLD input will cause the outputs to hold their value when high- Triggers received in this state will "rotate" the outputs arpeggio style! there are 32 chord types available in any key.

In "scale mode" an input is quantized according to the selected scale. Values are passed down the line ["Analog" Shift Register style] with each trigger (1 to 2, 2 to 3..) when HOLD is initiated, no new values are acquired and the data in memory will be continually looped to the 3 outputs with each trigger. There are 32 scales available in 2 banks of 16. Bank and mode are indicated in the 7-segment LEDs decimal places.

There might be some ties to Kymatica, I'm not sure.

I could probably add something like this as a preset for Mozaic.

• That would be very cool @brambos. I think I mentioned it to Audioveek too a while back.

The more AU MIDI tools we have, the merrier we are!

• @ocelot said:

@midiSequencer said:

@ocelot said:
    @midiSequencer

Tried double-tapping 'Midi Echo' in Audiobus 3, apeMatrix, and Beatmaker 3, but couldn't get the option to display. No worries, looking forward to the update. :)

It’s single tap, not double tap, and it doesn’t display anything, it just changes the behavior. Double-tap won’t do anything because that just sets it back the way it was before. ;)

• @brambos said:

@ocelot said:
    Maybe an idea for another AU Midi:

I could probably add something like this as a preset for Mozaic.

sounds just the sort of function Mozaic would be good for because you can make so many variations easily with code.

The closest I have (i think) is the rotator fx in Quantum which plays up to 4 variations of chords with each trigger.