Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

$350-$500: What do you buy?(hardware)

Comments

• @ElectroHead said:
    If you want to get into modular patching on a far deepr level than the OCoast (and be able to save patches!) and don't mind keeping a legacy comp to program edit it, you might find a Nord Modular for cca 500 USD. Without doubt, the Nord Modulars are the most flexible digital synths ever made: Also top notch build. The clips below give an idea of its capabilities'

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1Kzc9w9Snlw

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8GyZ28uVaEI

With some outboard FX

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ADJZ5A4C2Mw&list=RD1Kzc9w9Snlw&index=2

Minilogue and Bass Station 2 recommended a numver of times: I've got them both and really like the Minilogue, BS2 is great bang for buck, But if I had I'd choose one, Nord Modular without hesitation.

I cant get over how much some used gear costs in usa. Here nord modulars typical asking price is 250€ and they dont seem to sell that fast even for that price..

• edited September 2018

@ElectroHead said:

Nice sounds. What reverb did u use?

Thanks! I'm using a Specular Tempus, a hidden gem of a reverb.

• @RUST( i )K said:

BassStation

Yup.

Does it have a sequencer?

Fully analog?

Because the other Novation synths are Digital right?

Except peak.

It does not have a sequencer, but you can program a custom arpeggiator that can almost be like a sequencer. The arp works as external MIDI if you get the newer firmware from I guess 2-3 years ago at this point.

The BS2 is the most analog synth Novation has, but it’s still DCO (turn it on and it’s in tune!) and it’s not fully analog because you can use MIDI for just about every parameter. All the components are analog but then there is a digital control board for it. Since most parameters are 8 bit MIDI at 256 values you get much less stepping than the typical 7 bit MIDI at 128 values. It’s a pretty smooth filter sweep.

• Hi, I’m looking for a multi fx box that can do similar stuff like the punch-in fx on a pocket operator (tape stop, filter sweep, stutter etc.). I’d like to effect my digitakt when I’m live recording it.

• edited September 2018

@DMan said:

@RUST( i )K said:

BassStation

Yup.

Does it have a sequencer?

Fully analog?

Because the other Novation synths are Digital right?

Except peak.

It does not have a sequencer, but you can program a custom arpeggiator that can almost be like a sequencer. The arp works as external MIDI if you get the newer firmware from I guess 2-3 years ago at this point.

The BS2 is the most analog synth Novation has, but it’s still DCO (turn it on and it’s in tune!) and it’s not fully analog because you can use MIDI for just about every parameter. All the components are analog but then there is a digital control board for it. Since most parameters are 8 bit MIDI at 256 values you get much less stepping than the typical 7 bit MIDI at 128 values. It’s a pretty smooth filter sweep.

Analog where it counts.

The signal path is pure analog – including the effects section. The hardware has been laid out in modules with dedicated pots, switches, sliders and buttons for all major parameters. Critically, you can store and recall patches on Bass Station II. It comes with 64 killer factory presets, space for 64 of your own sounds on the hardware, and you can store more on your computer.

Sequencer?

Arpeggiator and step sequencer: Bass Station II’s Arpeggiator and Step Sequencer are killer performance and production tools. The Arp can be directed to run through 32 different rhythmic patterns in different directions with a switchable octave range. The fun really starts when you engage the Step Sequencer. Up to four sequences can be played in – with legato and rests – and assigned to any one of the 32 rhythmic patterns. As well as getting ideas down quickly and programming performance sequences, this is a brilliant way to preview patches while you are editing them.

• Great thread is great.

• edited September 2018

@ElectroHead said:

I must warn you though. An 0-coast could make you want to plunge the dangerous cliff of physical modulars at a surprisingly rapid pace....

This is why I've resisted getting an M32 or O'Coast.... There are hurdles and extra modules required ro intgrate these semi-modulars into a eurorack system. There are many of these semimodulars on sale sh because quite a few folk who go on to investing in eurorack then understand the limitations / constrictions of these synths. I want to put together a modular with 2 oscs, two filters, quad vca, wavefolder, wavehapping, fm, ringmod, but even this without any sequencer modules or fx would cost me at least £1500. One day, but not soon!

Actually the 0-coast integrates flawlessly into eurorack. It uses the exact same voltages etc as the other make noise modules. People have even modified and rack mounted the 0-coast.

• The Nord modular is available as a free download.

• BS2 or O-Coast or Micron/Miniak or Korg Z1.....

• Got me thinking of getting a 0-coast to pair with my circuit now.

• @osKar said:
    Hi, I’m looking for a multi fx box that can do similar stuff like the punch-in fx on a pocket operator (tape stop, filter sweep, stutter etc.). I’d like to effect my digitakt when I’m live recording it.

Actually your best bet might be rather something like Effectrix for your iPad from Sugarbytes:

• You can not only do fx selectively but also enter rhythmic fx patterns like in a sequencer
    • You can sync it to MIDI clock coming from the Digitakt
    • You can choose different sequencer pages by simple MIDI note triggers from the Digitakt
    • It works both with line input from your audio interface and imported audio loops

At least that's the way I like to use it when Digitakt sample mangling is not enough ;)

• @kobamoto said:

Thanks for the video! It gave me a good laugh really :smiley:
    What this guy describes is in no way different from granular synthesis.
    I could even do that with my Digitakt easily!

• Maybe a Korg Monotron Delay unit with say a Microbrute? Then you will still have enough money for another piece of gear. If you don't have a mixer you maybe could buy one like that Soundcraft Notepad 12FX for example. With a little searching I guess that might still be between $350 and $500.

• Used Bass Station II and Behringer FCB1010 with a pair of Yamaha Bluetooth midi adapters and the FCBBFF editor app should be possible for that price.

• Everything I'd want I'd rather just save for and convince myself it's ok to buy it despite not being a professional (aka making money off it anymore), or just not have it at all. I've never been satisfied with the price-reasonable stop-gaps (looking at you, Minilogue). Even getting 3-4 guitar effects pedals seems like a bad hill to start tumbling down, because then I'd just want more.

Sorry to be a bummer. It's just money is an issue for me and I'd rather have something top-tier than stuff that just reminds me I still want the higher-end stuff.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Everything I'd want I'd rather just save for and convince myself it's ok to buy it despite not being a professional (aka making money off it anymore), or just not have it at all. I've never been satisfied with the price-reasonable stop-gaps (looking at you, Minilogue). Even getting 3-4 guitar effects pedals seems like a bad hill to start tumbling down, because then I'd just want more.

Sorry to be a bummer. It's just money is an issue for me and I'd rather have something top-tier than stuff that just reminds me I still want the higher-end stuff.

You mean the stuff you really would want to buy deep in your heart? For me that would be the Dominion 1 by MFB, mfberlin.de/en/device/mfb-dominion1_en/ and for example the Shuttle by Endorphin, https://endorphin.es/endorphin.es--shuttle.html or maybe a cheaper alternative like the Modulör114 by Sound Machines sound-machines.it/product/modulor114/

But those are all way above that price range.

• @bert said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Everything I'd want I'd rather just save for and convince myself it's ok to buy it despite not being a professional (aka making money off it anymore), or just not have it at all. I've never been satisfied with the price-reasonable stop-gaps (looking at you, Minilogue). Even getting 3-4 guitar effects pedals seems like a bad hill to start tumbling down, because then I'd just want more.

You mean the stuff you really would want to buy deep in your heart? For me that would be the Dominion 1 by MFB, mfberlin.de/en/device/mfb-dominion1_en/ and for example the Shuttle by Endorphin, https://endorphin.es/endorphin.es--shuttle.html or maybe a cheaper alternative like the Modulör114 by Sound Machines sound-machines.it/product/modulor114/

I thought Dominion Club sounded pretty good. $470 US shipped.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/mfb_dominion_club.htm

• @bert said:

@oat_phipps said:

Dave Smith OB-6 for me

• edited September 2018

@rs2000 said:

@kobamoto said:

Thanks for the video! It gave me a good laugh really :smiley:
    What this guy describes is in no way different from granular synthesis.
    I could even do that with my Digitakt easily!

there's a lot more to the Asr10 than that, and picking one up for between 300-500 is a great opportunity one would not regret :)

• edited September 2018

@oat_phipps said:

@bert said:

@oat_phipps said:

Dave Smith OB-6 for me

Same here.

And a used Sequential Circuits Pro-1. And a Toft mixer. And a SquarP Pyramid and/or a Cirklon. And pretty much every single product put out by Strymon and Dreadbox. And... :sweat_smile:

• Not sure if this counts but I bought a b-stock kala solid mahogany fretless UBASS for 350 euro!

• People sure do love to talk about buying shit!

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Not sure if this counts but I bought a b-stock kala solid mahogany fretless UBASS for 350 euro!

Already have a 1973 Precision

And a a 1970 Strat with a custom black cherry neck at storage at my folks place.

Along with a whole Peavey PA system.

So actual "instruments" proper I am good to go.

I have my acoustic Ibanez with me these days but rest is "machine making music".....LOL

• @oat_phipps said:

@bert said:

@oat_phipps said:

Dave Smith OB-6 for me

We are talking Birthday gift not from Santa Claus...... ;)

• edited September 2018

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@ElectroHead said:

This is why I've resisted getting an M32 or O'Coast.... There are hurdles and extra modules required ro intgrate these semi-modulars into a eurorack system.

False. You just plug the patch cables in. Easy.

Different CV range on M32 (-5 to +5) compared to Eurorack (0+10), so you need a pitch attenuater for M32 to play in tune with standard eurorack. See Erica synths dedicated module for this for ex. But for the o'Coast, I stand corrected.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    The Nord modular is available as a free download.

The G2 demo only has one voice and one slot, you can't save patches (AFAIR) and midi modules are disabled. It "replicates" the G2 sound on your PC, and thus is not the same as the synth.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    People sure do love to talk about buying shit!

people like to talk period.

• @anickt said:

@bert said:

@oat_phipps said:

I thought Dominion Club sounded pretty good. $470 US shipped.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/mfb_dominion_club.htm

I've been listening to it more than once but didn't like the sound as much as with the Dominion 1. Might be because it had 2 VCO's and that digital wave shaper.

Besides those MFB synths I was impressed with the sounds of the Vermona '14 synth, https://vermona.com/en/products/synthesizer/product/14-analogsynthesizer/ as well as The River synth by a small French builder, Baloran: https://en.audiofanzine.com/analog-synth/baloran/the-river/editorial/reviews/when-the-analog-flows-in-the-stream.html

There are so many nice synths these days. I'm not that poor but you can get poor when you don't refrain from buying everything you like! :smile:

• @[Deleted User] said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    People sure do love to talk about buying shit!

people like to talk period.

People sure like to talk about periods!