Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

$350-$500: What do you buy?(hardware)

Comments

• @ElectroHead said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    The Nord modular is available as a free download.

The G2 demo only has one voice and one slot, you can't save patches (AFAIR) and midi modules are disabled. It "replicates" the G2 sound on your PC, and thus is not the same as the synth.

Got a Windows machine?
    Here's a nice and free Nord Modular alternative:
    http://sonigen.com

http://vcvrack.com

And soon:
    ModulAir from www.fullbucket.de

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    People sure do love to talk about buying shit!

people like to talk period.

People sure like to talk about periods!

:smile:

• Shocked at the lack of UNO comments.....

• Anyone here use BeatStep pro with iOS device or the Korg little sequencer out?

• Is Beatstep Pro iOS compliant?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@oat_phipps said:

@bert said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Everything I'd want I'd rather just save for and convince myself it's ok to buy it despite not being a professional (aka making money off it anymore), or just not have it at all. I've never been satisfied with the price-reasonable stop-gaps (looking at you, Minilogue). Even getting 3-4 guitar effects pedals seems like a bad hill to start tumbling down, because then I'd just want more.

Sorry to be a bummer. It's just money is an issue for me and I'd rather have something top-tier than stuff that just reminds me I still want the higher-end stuff.

You mean the stuff you really would want to buy deep in your heart? For me that would be the Dominion 1 by MFB, mfberlin.de/en/device/mfb-dominion1_en/ and for example the Shuttle by Endorphin, https://endorphin.es/endorphin.es--shuttle.html or maybe a cheaper alternative like the Modulör114 by Sound Machines sound-machines.it/product/modulor114/

But those are all way above that price range.

Dave Smith OB-6 for me

We are talking Birthday gift not from Santa Claus...... ;)

Haha yeah I know. Good way of putting it

• @RUST( i )K I’ve not had any trouble running a Beatstep Pro through a powered hub.

• Uno :D

More seriously, you should definitely be looking for something that does something you cannot do on iOS.
    The main thing is obviously an analogue synth as all the iOS ones are emulations (albeit some very very good ones)

OR

the other option is to get something that is a workhorse that you always do on iOS that would free up resources or reduce screen switching to allow you to do more interesting things with iOS.
    A mega controller (Roli ?), or fully weighted keyboard ?
    A decent sequencer with a good workflow, if you like GrooveRider or Electribe wave then maybe an Electribe ? You can use the 16 track sequencer in that to control iOS synths, or use it's own sound engine or both. I use my Electribe Sampler like this. ES and Circuit work very well together. One thing to note though is that if you want to connect it to iOS you will need real 5 Pin MIDI to USB adapter (does the audiohub have MIDI port?) as the Electribe does not have MIDI over usb.

If you get other stuff like FX or Emulated synth then you may well end up just using iOS for the convenience, while your recent hardware purchase just gathers dust.

Then there is always whatever Novation are cooking up, but who knows what that is, or when it will arrive. Something new that doesn't exist and that integrates with just about everything is as much as we know.

• edited September 2018

@RUST( i )K said:
    Is Beatstep Pro iOS compliant?

Yes it is. I use it all the time. I've even made it receive clock from ableton link using the old midi link sync app. I've only tested with the cck3 with iPad charger. The other cck it might need a powered hub..

• edited September 2018

Another lesser known use of a 0-coast and something ripplemaker CANNOT do. External processing:-

It also has a fantastic inbuilt arp.

@RUST( i )K @Redo1 @Richtowns this might interest you :)

• @ElectroHead said:

@ElectroHead said:

This is why I've resisted getting an M32 or O'Coast.... There are hurdles and extra modules required ro intgrate these semi-modulars into a eurorack system.

False. You just plug the patch cables in. Easy.

Different CV range on M32 (-5 to +5) compared to Eurorack (0+10), so you need a pitch attenuater for M32 to play in tune with standard eurorack. See Erica synths dedicated module for this for ex. But for the o'Coast, I stand corrected.

That’s not really an issue worthy of avoiding the m32. It’s only relevant in certain limited, specific use cases that you can simply avoid, and is straightforward to solve when you choose not to work around it. Most of the time just by turning a knob. It’s not that the m32 is non-standard to euro—it’s that there is no euro standard for octaves. Even some Doepfer modules use octave standards different from one another. Don’t let this issue keep you from starting with the m32, if you like it otherwise.

• @ElectroHead said:

The Nord modular is available as a free download.

The G2 demo only has one voice and one slot, you can't save patches (AFAIR) and midi modules are disabled. It "replicates" the G2 sound on your PC, and thus is not the same as the synth.

Yeah, it’s not full-featured, but it’s a way of test-driving a unit that is not in stores.

• edited September 2018

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    Another lesser known use of a 0-coast and something ripplemaker CANNOT do. External processing:-

fantastic first video, I only wish I could see the same video or something like it without all of the distortion :(
    but thanks gonekrazy now the 0-coast is really on my radar

• @kobamoto said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

fantastic first video, I only wish I could see the same video or something like it without all of the distortion :(
    but thanks gonekrazy now the 0-coast is really on my radar

Yeah, @gonekrazy3000 THANKS.

Man. I'd had a Waldorf Blofeld or a Circuit on my radar as a complement to the digitakt. But the 0-Coast is so appealing. (And — here the thread is derailed — it has inspired me to learn Ripplemaker this weekend.
    Any great insights/tutorials?)

• edited September 2018

@rs2000 said:

@osKar said:
    Hi, I’m looking for a multi fx box that can do similar stuff like the punch-in fx on a pocket operator (tape stop, filter sweep, stutter etc.). I’d like to effect my digitakt when I’m live recording it.

Actually your best bet might be rather something like Effectrix for your iPad from Sugarbytes:

• You can not only do fx selectively but also enter rhythmic fx patterns like in a sequencer
    • You can sync it to MIDI clock coming from the Digitakt
    • You can choose different sequencer pages by simple MIDI note triggers from the Digitakt
    • It works both with line input from your audio interface and imported audio loops

At least that's the way I like to use it when Digitakt sample mangling is not enough ;)

yes, Sugarbytes plugins/apps are a great solution! Thanks for reminding me, that I can do this kind of stuff also with software. I think I record my patterns as audio loops and arrange them in a daw and then put those fx on top of them. I’m not actually able to buy something at the moment and I also want to limit myself with what I already got...

• edited September 2018

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Man. I'd had a Waldorf Blofeld or a Circuit on my radar as a complement to the digitakt. But the 0-Coast is so appealing. (And — here the thread is derailed — it has inspired me to learn Ripplemaker this weekend.

Yes. Here's a demo of my fav sound bank for the blofeld:

Take your time to listen. If you've played a few old school synths you should easily be able to recognize them. I was stunned and still am.

Combining it with the Digitakt is a good idea, not only because the 8 independent parts match the 8 MIDI parts on the Digitakt, but you can use the MIDI CC parameter locks on blofeld parameters too.

• What I want for Christmas is this or a Peak.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

it has inspired me to learn Ripplemaker this weekend.

This is the modular synthesis course I mentioned earlier. Still at the 20 Euro "intro price". Requires Model 15 and Ripplemaker.

http://www.subjectsound.com/modular-sound-design-ios

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Yes it is. I use it all the time. I've even made it receive clock from ableton link using the old midi link sync app. I've only tested with the cck3 with iPad charger. The other cck it might need a powered hub..

You mean the dual one, right ? the newer one.

Use it with any interface?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Yup. Powered the novation audiohub without it's own power adapter using a battery bank. Downside is you can't use the audiohubs USB ports. But you can run a battery powered multi volca jam recorded into aum and output into an also battery powered Roland cube street :D

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Yup. Powered the novation audiohub without it's own power adapter using a battery bank. Downside is you can't use the audiohubs USB ports. But you can run a battery powered multi volca jam recorded into aum and output into an also battery powered Roland cube street :D

This would be on iPad not on the hub then!

• @ExAsperis99 said:

Just start with a preset and wiggle knobs or plug cables in at random. I have both Ripplemaker and O-coast, and this is how I learned.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Yep. Just an iPad. A cck 3, an audiohub and a battery bank. The bass and keys volcas and the cube street were running off AA batteries.

I'm actually moving my battery powered rig further when I land in New York. Picking up a Zoom H6 there. With one of it's attachments you can actually use it as a 6 input 2 output soundcard for iOS that also runs off double aa batteries.

I fully intend on eventually making myself a flight case with my volca sample,keys,bass, beatstep pro, the zoom h6, my 0-coast and an m-audio midisport X1 connected to a quadra thru to send midi to all the devices all running off batteries. A studio in a briefcase if you will :D

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Yep. Just an iPad. A cck 3, an audiohub and a battery bank. The bass and keys volcas and the cube street were running off AA batteries.

I'm actually moving my battery powered rig further when I land in New York. Picking up a Zoom H6 there. With one of it's attachments you can actually use it as a 6 input 2 output soundcard for iOS that also runs off double aa batteries.

I fully intend on eventually making myself a flight case with my volca sample,keys,bass, beatstep pro, the zoom h6, my 0-coast and an m-audio midisport X1 connected to a quadra thru to send midi to all the devices all running off batteries. A studio in a briefcase if you will :D

Love the zoom stuff, I think that one has compressor/limiter per track Right?

• @RUST( i )K said:
    What I want for Christmas is this or a Peak.

Have that on my radar myself, though Yamaha's MODX6 suddenly being announced threw an unexpected curve ball.

Around the same price range is the new Delta module which also sounds promising, though I've heard mixed reports about Radikal's history of firmware support.

https://www.kraftmusic.com/radikal-technologies-delta-cep-a-semi-modular-desktop-synthesizer.html

• @[Deleted User] said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Love the zoom stuff, I think that one has compressor/limiter per track Right?

I don't remember exactly to be honest. But I think it does have a limiter per track at minimum.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@ElectroHead said:

@ElectroHead said:

This is why I've resisted getting an M32 or O'Coast.... There are hurdles and extra modules required ro intgrate these semi-modulars into a eurorack system.

False. You just plug the patch cables in. Easy.

Different CV range on M32 (-5 to +5) compared to Eurorack (0+10), so you need a pitch attenuater for M32 to play in tune with standard eurorack. See Erica synths dedicated module for this for ex. But for the o'Coast, I stand corrected.

That’s not really an issue worthy of avoiding the m32. It’s only relevant in certain limited, specific use cases that you can simply avoid, and is straightforward to solve when you choose not to work around it. Most of the time just by turning a knob. It’s not that the m32 is non-standard to euro—it’s that there is no euro standard for octaves. Even some Doepfer modules use octave standards different from one another. Don’t let this issue keep you from starting with the m32, if you like it otherwise.

I had 2x Mother 32. The KB out is a big issue for driving Eurorack, however it will work fine with Make Noise modules without any scaling.

The Moog Minitaur is really useful for me with Modular. Having 3 channels of CV to MIDI is fairly unique.

The O Coast has to be the best non vintage synth I've ever owned. Crazy versatile and small enough to travel with. I usually use it without the waveshaping for melodic stuff and the waveshaping for drums & efx.

• edited September 2018

Yeah, it’s not full-featured, but it’s a way of test-driving a unit that is not in stores.

I didn't say otherwise. But if u think the demo version sounds like shit, it may be your soundcard. Earlier iin the thread "you can download the Nord Modular". False inforrmation. The G2 demo provides limited access to the G2 functionality, but is not a true representation of its sound. 4 DSPs (8 with expansion)/

• Forgot if this new $300 pedal was mentioned - it's below the $350 threshold, LOL

• @GovernorSilver said:
    Forgot if this new $300 pedal was mentioned - it's below the $350 threshold, LOL

Ahh I totally want that even though it's really gimmicky and has limited usage.