Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Soundcraft Notepad 12FX — multitrack via USB?

2»

Comments

• Assuming you’re using the soundcraft mixer in the title, there are few tricks. You’ll have to use a computer to set it up.

Grab the soundcraft app. This let’s you pick the outputs that get sent to usb. If I remember correctly, you get 1-4 automatically, and then you can pick the other stereo pair. You could choose to record only the outputs you need, and avoid the main mix

You can also press the button next to the headphone jack to monitor 9+10 (I think. I’m not near my mixer). Then you can route the click to the headphones, and they’ll stay out of the main mix. Bonus tip. You can also use this to turn the headphone out into an extra FX send.

• Hey there, yes, I am using the Soundcraft Notepad 12FX.

I think you mean the app lets you pick the inputs that get sent to USB. I have no issue sending channels 1-4 and avoiding the USB return feedback loop, but that wasn't really my question.

What if I want to record the Stereo L/R (so that I can use the EQ and FX bus) while monitoring the sound coming from the USB-return. Like say I have a drum loop or a bassline in Ableton that I want to listen to while I record. When I try this, I get overdub of the USB return.

I have noted that I can get the metronome to play only to my headphones, which is convenient. But that still doesn't resolve wanting to hear the USB channel in the main mix and still be able to (hopefully at the flip of a button) easily record Stereo L/R without overdubbing what the USB return channel is sending back into the mixer in the recording.

Basically, what I want I don't think is an option? If I could have the USB return go into the main outs but avoid the stereo L/R outputs that's used for recording. Maybe there is a workaround with the button, but I haven't figured it out...

• Try this then:

You can also press the button next to the headphone jack to monitor 9+10 (I think. I’m not near my mixer). Then you can route the click to the headphones, and they’ll stay out of the main mix. Bonus tip. You can also use this to turn the headphone out into an extra FX send.

And from the manual, sections 6.0:

An additional headphone socket is provided which has its own level control and routing which can be selected from the master mix, button unpressed or channels 3 &4 of the USB streaming with the button pressed. The latter mode is particularly useful to monitor, for example a click track when recording or for a USB monitor bus separate to the USB playback.

• I'll try that ... I'm thinking the USB will still be coming through to the Master L + R, but maybe I'm wrong in that? Maybe I need to switch my Master output in my Daw when I want to record, but to me that's annoying to have to 1) Switch the output in my Daw, and 2) Grab my headphones any time I want to record. Typically I just leave the monitors wide open and track/monitor through those.

Shame there is no real way to configure whether the USB return runs into the Master L+R.

• You can do exactly what you want to do. It might be a good idea to read the manual:

Notepad-12FX

Using the Soundcraft USB Audio Control Panel for PC on the Soundcraft.com website, users can select the “Audio Routing” tab, to select the point in the console feeding the USB bus to computer.

For Inputs 1+2 the routing is fixed from:

Mic Inputs 1+2

For Inputs 3+4 the routing can be selected from:

Mic Input 3+4 Stereo Input 5+6 Stereo Input 7+8 Mix L+R

USB return will come into the input channel 9+10, which is the channel where the USB-B connector is attached. This signal is summed with signal coming in the RCA 9+10 jacks, before proceeding down the input channel strip.

• edited March 2019

If Mix L+R is selected via software routing are you essentially recording mic inputs 1 and 2 twice (once as separate channels and once with the stereo mix) or are they not included in the recording of the stereo mix?

• @bbgun said:
    If Mix L+R is selected via software routing are you essentially recording mic inputs 1 and 2 twice (once as separate channels and once with the stereo mix)

Yes.

• I was writing about the Motepad 12fx in another post, similar issues to what @Austinbru points out. This is a beautiful great-sounding little desk but IMO it’s got 2 big problems that make it very limited or even unuasable in certain scenarios.
    1) no way to switch the second set of inputs (ins 3 & 4) with an iPad. As @Austinbru says it’s a complete killer to have to go your desktop to change this. It’s not uncommon to reach out for this.
    2) the second set of usb outs (3/4) is, as far as my usage case goes, useless. And usb outs in many instances are more important than ins, no wonder there’s many 2in 4outs interfaces and not the other way around. They are only there for the headphone jack. I can only think of some very specific monitoring scenarios for this.
    3) daw output is recorded with the rest at the mixer output. Which might be desirable in some cases, but I’m sure 99% of the times you just want monitoring from the daw. But you DO want that usb 3/4 that’s missing, it’s the other way around!.
    @mistercharlie i have read the manual, and I believe I get exactly what @Austinbru was saying. Which is my point 3 above. The main usb daw return is rarely needed at the mixer output, in most cases it’s monitors. Outputs 3/4 should be available and are not.

Here’s my original post where I talk about this at length...
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/41142/class-compliant-make-it-class-complacent-soundcraft-notepad-12fx-missing-button

Cheers