Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Class compliant?. Make it class complacent. (Soundcraft Notepad 12fx missing button)

Hi,
I just got a Soundcraft Notepad 12fx (4 ins 4 outs) to replace my old Focusrite.
The Focusrite needed a desktop Mac or win to run MixControl software in order to change the routing.
My new Soundcraft also needs a desktop to run a stupid application who’s sole purpose is to change the source of the second pair of inputs (ins 3-4, 5-6 or L-R) this is CRUCIAL. I just got a really good vibe running a loop through external fx into a big muff, with a noise gate and stereo weirdness... guess what?. I can’t record it. That’s my first experience with the thing. I can hear it, I can play it, I can’t record it into AUM. I need to change the record source to L+R to get the whole enchilada. I can’t on the iPad.
Is there some limitation inherent to iOS that can’t change hardware settings?. No, don’t think so, I know iConnectAudio has an app to do it’s routing.
This really sucks. If compliant means “it sort of works”, I just don’t get it.
And it sucks even more cos I was really liking it. I like the footprint, the looks, the compact aspect yet versatile, and the sound. I’d trade the effects, the reverbs, delays, whatever, I’d even trade 4 inputs for a stupid button to change the source of the second pair of inputs. This is a serious design flaw IMO.
It was down to the Notepad 12fx or the A&H zedi 10. The zedi is bulkier, too big for my desk. But it seems like it’s got all the right buttons... and I’m talking about the zedi with no effects. There are few multichannel (4x4) budget usb mixers. If you jump into that arena, it’s better to get that right than to add some comfort reverbs that will never make it to a printed song.
“But hey, it’s a mixer, some songwriter will want a reverb to play at the local church”. In that case does he need an interface 4 ins and outs?. Lord no!. GIMME MY BUTTON.

Comments

• I'm confused. You can hear it in AUM, but you can't record it? That doesn't seem likely.

Or are you "hearing" it through local monitoring on the Soundraft?

• The iConnectivity apps use MIDI SysEx messages to configure the interfaces (and even for reading the levels), I don’t know if iOS apps can use custom USB protocols to configure devices such as the Focusrite interfaces.

• @NoiseFloored said:
    The iConnectivity apps use MIDI SysEx messages to configure the interfaces (and even for reading the levels), I don’t know if iOS apps can use custom USB protocols to configure devices such as the Focusrite interfaces.

Sysex is just a MIDI protocol, not a USB protocol. There's no limitation inherent to iOS.

• Is it possible that they use MIDI, sent to the interface, to make this selection? If so, you might be able to use Mozaic or Streambyter to control this.

• @wim said:

@NoiseFloored said:
    The iConnectivity apps use MIDI SysEx messages to configure the interfaces (and even for reading the levels), I don’t know if iOS apps can use custom USB protocols to configure devices such as the Focusrite interfaces.

Sysex is just a MIDI protocol, not a USB protocol. There's no limitation inherent to iOS.

Right, that’s what I mean: iConnectivity has iOS apps because of this

• @uncledave said:
    Is it possible that they use MIDI, sent to the interface, to make this selection? If so, you might be able to use Mozaic or Streambyter to control this.

How they communicate isn't specified in the manual. One would have to hook up a midi monitor between the PC app and the mixer and try to intercept the communication, then reverse-engineer that in order to make a script ... assuming they use midi at all.

But ... if he could do that then he could just configure the darn thing with the app. It sounds as if that isn't an option.

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@tahiche said:
    Is there some limitation inherent to iOS that can’t change hardware settings?. No, don’t think so, I know iConnectAudio has an app to do it’s routing.

No, there's no limitation. They just haven't chosen to provide an app to do it.

This really sucks. If compliant means “it sort of works”, I just don’t get it.

Class compliant just means it communicates (passes sound and/or midi depending on the device's purpose) without any special software or drivers. It doesn't mean that it can be configured.

It seems like kind of a one-time configuration need. Do you have any friends with a PC that would let you do that? Or maybe the dealer, if you bought it from one?

• @wim said:
    I'm confused. You can hear it in AUM, but you can't record it? That doesn't seem likely.

Or are you "hearing" it through local monitoring on the Soundraft?

Local monitoring, L+R, which via the control software can be output to usb 3-4 to record in daw. With all the limitations, L+R is the only way (I know of) of printing “what you hear” with eq, sends, etc... But the board defaults to “inputs 3/4 -> outputs 3/4” and there’s no way of changing that in the iPad.

• @wim said:

It seems like kind of a one-time configuration need. Do you have any friends with a PC that would let you do that? Or maybe the dealer, if you bought it from one?

I have a desktop and I downloaded the application. But it’s not a one-time configuration, depends on what you’re doing at the moment. I refuse to have to go back to my desktop to switch the input, it’s a flow massacre.
    I might be being a brat, but it’s frustrating cos it seems so basic and it’s really limiting.

Class compliant just means it communicates (passes sound and/or midi depending on the device's purpose) without any special software or drivers. It doesn't mean that it can be configured.

Excuse the comparison, but In a way this would be like “Heres a car, it starts and runs, the fact that you can’t change gears or use the breaks is just configuration”.

If you can’t do it via an app (hard to see why) have a button for it, that’s what the A&H Zedi seems to do. It’s literally the only option in this case.

One would have to hook up a midi monitor between the PC app and the mixer and try to intercept the communication, then reverse-engineer that in order to make a script ... assuming they use midi at all.

I don’t know of any monitor that could intercept that, probably very specific dev stuff. If a midi command was enough it’d be great but I’m guessing they would have specified it.

After all it might be that it’s mainly a mixer and Im asking for an audio interface, I hoped it was both. But it’s so much fun to tweak the knobs to the fuzz in the fx send, sweep the eq, generate feedback... now that I’ve tried it I don’t want to go back to a “boxed” interface. Sorry for the complaining... 🥺

• @tahiche said:
    After all it might be that it’s mainly a mixer and Im asking for an audio interface, I hoped it was both. But it’s so much fun to tweak the knobs to the fuzz in the fx send, sweep the eq, generate feedback... now that I’ve tried it I don’t want to go back to a “boxed” interface. Sorry for the complaining... 🥺

No need to apologize for that! It's a perfectly reasonable thing to be annoyed about. I share the sentiment concerning both my NanoKEY Studio and Sensel Morph. I bought them with that knowledge, but it still irks me. I won't buy any further equipment that can't be configured on-board or through an iOS app.

I know you spent a long time searching for and considering that mixer. It must be frustrating. I agree, as there isn't even any MIDI in or out, it's unlikely that the control is done via midi that could be intercepted. That's unfortunate.

• edited September 2020

I see, you need these buttons. But why does the A&H have only 2 buttons for 3 optional routings over USB? Edit: The 3rd option is for both buttons UP.

These new multi-track USB mixers are confusing. In fact, I didn't know there were any cheaper than the Zoom LiveTrak L-8 or Presonus StudioLive AR8 each at ~$400. at least ones with more than 2x2 USB audio. The only one with MIDI I/O is the Tascam Model 12 at $600, afaik.

@tahiche What's stopping you from permanently setting USB In 3-4 to 'Stereo Input 7+8' and bringing back your external FX return to Ins 7+8 instead of 11+12?

And I suppose if enough people bug Soundcraft to make an iOS app for re-configuring... Notepad-10FX seems like a bargain at $179. The A&H ZEDi-10FX is $279. ZEDi-10 is $219.

• @tahiche Sorry to say that but your Soundcraft 12fx seems like the worst match for what you want to do: No hardware buttons to select channels to record from, no solo buttons, no stereo AUX bus...
    A Behringer X1622USB looks more like a solution, although all the knobs take their space for sure.

• Thanks for your answers.

@tahiche What's stopping you from permanently setting USB In 3-4 to 'Stereo Input 7+8' and bringing back your external FX return to Ins 7+8 instead of 11+1

Yes, but you wouldn’t be able to blend in any of the dry signal, or use eq for that matter (fx send is pre eq). So that’d be fine in some scenarios but not others...

To make the matter more complicated, there’s no way to get the “out usb 3/4” back to the mixer, unlike in the zedi as per the picture above, which has a “ST3” channel. What does that mean?.
    I want to run a guitar track from my daw to external fx, but just the guitar. Not possible. I can assign the guitar track in my daw to “out 3/4” but I can’t do anything with it!. The only refrende to usb out 3/4 is an option in the phone output which can use that as the source. Probably for setting an alternative listening mix in your daw (send tracks to “my monitor” bus and route that to 3/4).
    So you can only use send fx on the whole usb 1/2 channel (9-10 in the mixer). Which is useless for reamp it scenarios if you want to listen in context.
    I could set the phones to use 3/4 and use that as an fx send... then I’d have no phones. If at least you could assign the 3/4 usb out to the aux jack... but no.

• zedi has a st3 channel
      I contacted Soundcraft support, I’m considering returning the unit.
      Been reading about the Mackie profx10v3. It’s only got 2 inputs. But it seems it’s better thought out. Main usb1/2 doesn’t go through the mixer, it goes straight to the monitor/headphones where you can control the mix (inputs / usb). Then there’s a 3/4 usb channel where you can get usb out 3/4 to the mixer.
      Only 2 ins?. That’s ok with me. They’re set to the mixer l/r so you get all the eq, sends, whatever. Since the usb 1/2 is not in the mixer path, you’re ok, you’re recording only whatever is inserted and/or the usb 3/4 which is what you specifically want to affect.
  • Just say'n. It sounds like you want to use the mixer for EQ and FX on your digital signal. Why not use AUv3 or built-in FX in the DAW to alter the sound? If direct control via knobs is important, use a MIDI controller and map its knobs to the plug-in settings. This also lets you save the configuration in a preset for later recall.

• edited September 2020

@uncledave said:
    Just say'n. It sounds like you want to use the mixer for EQ and FX on your digital signal. Why not use AUv3 or built-in FX in the DAW to alter the sound? If direct control via knobs is important, use a MIDI controller and map its knobs to the plug-in settings. This also lets you save the configuration in a preset for later recall.

Hi! yeah, that’s what i usually do. I also have a Korg nano keys studio with knobs.
    Before explaining the reasons for a mixer... Let’s face it, it’s mainly about GAS. It always is 😁

• mixers are better to plug/unplug things. I have a digitakt, a second iPad. Usually interfaces have more stuff in the back, harder to get to.
    • I want more knobs and physical interaction. This is the main point. I’m switching to the iPad for this reason. Touchscreen better than mouse, knobs better than touchscreen.
    • I have some cool guitar pedals. I was looking at Overloud THU, wondering what I needed to buy to match the sound of the pedals I like and a part of my “character” (Big Muff, an old analog phaser...). And it just clicked that it was stupid to try to recreate what I already have, and again, with knobs.
    • In my first test with the soundcraft I was running a drum loop in AUM through a AUV3 nembrini gate, sending that to an fx loop with a custom fuzz pedal, back to the mixer, hard panned and some reverb send. Playing with the fx send to create a feedback loop. So fun and interesting. That would take “planing” with plugins whereas with the mixer it was just reaching for a knob and seeing what happens. It’s more organic, no question.
  • @rs2000 said:
    @tahiche Sorry to say that but your Soundcraft 12fx seems like the worst match for what you want to do: No hardware buttons to select channels to record from, no solo buttons, no stereo AUX bus...
    A Behringer X1622USB looks more like a solution, although all the knobs take their space for sure.

I believe the Behringer is only 2 in/2 out as audio interface. Is it not?. That wouldn’t work to “reamp” and mess with the daw tracks. You need at least 4 outputs. Soundcraft Signature ml12, Tascam model 12 or the discontinued Behringer UFX series have more outputs, but they’re pretty huge (and pricier), more of a live recording equipment.
    Seems like there are mixers than can be interfaces. But no interfaces that can be mixers...

• Every interface is a mixer with a DAW, or in your case AUM.

• Returned the Notepad 12fx and traded it for a A&H Zedi 10. The Zedi has tracks for usb 1/2 and 3/4. A bit bulkier than the Notepad but still reasonably sized. Very good build construction, seems sturdier.
    I loved the Notepad 12fx, just that missing usb that spoiled it for me. Well that and the fact you needed a desktop to change the routing. The Zedi has buttons for everything.

• Thanks for the update @tahiche Glad you got it sorted.