Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Soundcraft Notepad 12FX — multitrack via USB?

Can anyone confirm if the Soundcraft Notepad 12FX has is really 4x4? That is, does it send 4 separate tracks to the iPad via USB? The manual isn't specific in this point.

I've come down to this and the Yamaha MG10XU, and I'd really like four channels if possible.

Comments

• I read somewhere that there are differences between computers with Windows and OSX/iOS. There might be an upgrade for that but I'm not sure.

• That’s good to know. I find it odd that this info isn’t more easily available. It’s not just this mister either. Most of them have the same problem on the manufacturers’ sites.

• edited August 2018

I'm in the market for a 4 input device for my wife's setup... Thanks for the heads up on this - I thought I'd checked out all the USB mixers but must have missed this one.

I just downloaded the manual and here's what it says:

Notepad-12FX
    Using the Soundcraft USB Audio Control Panel for PC on the Soundcraft.com website, users can select the “Audio Routing” tab, to select the point in the console feeding the USB bus to computer.
    For Inputs 1+2 the routing is xed from: Mic Inputs 1+2
    For Inputs 3+4 the routing can be selected from:

• Mic Input 3+4
    • Stereo Input 5+6
    • Stereo Input 7+8
    • Mix L+R

USB return will come into the input channel 9+10, which is the channel where the USB-B connector is attached. This signal is summed with signal coming in the RCA 9+10 jacks, before proceeding down the input channel strip.

I guess the USB 3/4 inputs must be selected by software drivers as there does not appear to be a physical switch

• So it looks like it is a true 4x4. It’d still be good to know for sure from someone who has used one. Failing that, I’ll go back to the store tomorrow and take my iPad and cables.

• edited August 2018

Yep - look like true 4 x 4. The only down side I can see is that the single shared Aux / FX send cannot be switched between Pre and Post Fader - it's set Pre Fader - which is great for making a Live monitor mix - but will be a pain for using it as the FX send as you'll have to keep adjusting the FX send knob whenever you adjust the channel level.

For quite a bit more money (around £300) - and not as portable is the Soundcraft Signature 12MTK. It has 12 channel USB in and out... looks very good if you have the space and cash for it. It looks too big for our needs.

https://thomann.de/gb/soundcraft_signature12mtk.htm

• I checked the 12 MTK, but it’s huge. I’ll have to think about the pre-fader send. I’m planning to try my entire guitar FX “chain” in there, so it might be a problem for driving fuzz.

• edited August 2018

Hi,
    Problem with the 12 MTK is you can't record and playback at the same time as far as I remember...
    But I've been in contact with Soundcraft support, and they're really helpful and transparent to explain what you can or can't do with their gears...Check with them !

You might want to look at this (super great) mixer also:
    https://www.thomann.de/fr/allenheath_zedi_10.htm?ref=search_prv_3
    https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zedi-10/

I just bought an Allen & Heath gear, and I must say that is a total blast...Quality, support, features...It's just crazy how good this brand is...

BTW, just in case, if you're in Europe I'm selling a Soundcraft Signature 12, second hand, but almost brand new...
    It's not multitrack, but you can record to an iPad, and playback at the same time, no problem :)

• @crony said:
    Hi,
    Problem with the 12 MTK is you can't record and playback at the same time as far as I remember...
    But I've been in contact with Soundcraft support, and they're really helpful and transparent to explain what you can or can't do with their gears...Check with them !

You might want to look at this (super great) mixer also:
    https://www.thomann.de/fr/allenheath_zedi_10.htm?ref=search_prv_3
    https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zedi-10/

I just bought an Allen & Heath gear, and I must say that is a total blast...Quality, support, features...It's just crazy how good this brand is...

BTW, just in case, if you're in Europe I'm selling a Soundcraft Signature 12, second hand, but almost brand new...
    It's not multitrack, but you can record to an iPad, and playback at the same time, no problem :)

The A&H my list, but they’re also too big, and not multitrack. As far as I can tell, the only multitrack usb mixers available are the 12MTK, and the Zoom L-12. And this little Soundcraft FX.

• Are you sure ? They specified 4 in, 4 outs...

• @[Deleted User] said:
    What about this bugger?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_r16.htm

That one doesn’t work with the iPad. Only the R8 does — the other two R mixers are Mac/PC-only.

@crony said:
    Are you sure ? They specified 4 in, 4 outs...

I might be mid-remembering. I’ve read so many manuals! Either way, they’re definitely too big.

I found this at Sound on Sound;

Note, though, that the USB routing is not remembered by the mixer on power down but is stored by the host software, so you’ll need to set it again if changing hosts.

Sound on Sound

• edited August 2018

• I'm saving for this

Keith McMillen Instruments K-Mix Performance Mixer

8-in/10-out USB Audio Interface/Control Surface with 2 Microphone Preamplifiers, Touch Controls, and Onboard Processing - Mac/PC

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KMix--keith-mcmillen-instruments-k-mix-performance-mixer

$599
    Go big, or go home? ;)

• edited August 2018

Well...If size matters... :D
    PSU is included into the A&H, and sounds best omho...by far...(including K-mix)

This solution may suits you also (I suppose you'll use an iPad ??)
    Behringer UMC-404HD
    +
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/novation_launch_control_xl_mk2.htm
    +
    https://www.amazon.fr/Anker-Ultra-Chargeur-Secteur-Inclus/dp/B0192W3HX8?pd_rd_wg=mo3Ft&pd_rd_r=734970ea-609f-4b7b-8db6-49f0fd008347&pd_rd_w=ofC2c&ref_=pd_gw_simh&pf_rd_r=54176NGEH31E22B7D76J&pf_rd_p=f045bbc7-4f4e-5242-a7d0-f22a056e082a

• Nice setup, but I want one small box, with its own knobs, and it has to work without a computer/iPad too.

• @mistercharlie said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    What about this bugger?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_r16.htm

That one doesn’t work with the iPad. Only the R8 does — the other two R mixers are Mac/PC-only.

That’s a real shame! I was getting tempted myself to buy it!

• Mystery solved:

• Cool - 4 inputs!

Did you see any way to switch the USB inputs 3 and 4 between Mic3/4, Stereo 5/6, 7/8, and Mix L/R ?

And if not what is the default behaviour? Mic 3/4 maybe? or the Mix L/R

• @ricksteruk said:
    Cool - 4 inputs!

Did you see any way to switch the USB inputs 3 and 4 between Mic3/4, Stereo 5/6, 7/8, and Mix L/R ?

And if not what is the default behaviour? Mic 3/4 maybe? or the Mix L/R

Default is to use all four XLR inputs, channels 1-4. You can switch 3/4 to other channel pairs, or to a stereo sum, using the Mac/PC software. I haven’t seen a way to do it on iOS yet.

Still, the default is what I want most of the time anyway.

• Ok, now I’ve put an arpeggiated Model D preset through a phaser using an H9 in the mixers FX loop, and I’m hooked.

However, I can’t record the effected signal. There doesn’t seem any way to pass the signal back to the iPad to record it.

Perhaps if I plug the outputs of the H9/FX loop into another channel...

• Further info: if you use the Mac app to switch outputs 3/4 to some other combo, then move the mixer back to the iPad, the setting doesn’t stick. So on iOS, you’re stuck with the defaults.

A workaround for recording the effected tracks is to plug the effects return into inputs 3/4. It’s not ideal, but it works.

• Breakthrough! If any one is still listening!

With further experimentation, I found that you can change the audio routing on the Mac, and then it sticks when you connect to an iPad. I even powered off the mixer and the settings stuck.

The thing that tricked me is that the inputs are not renamed in AUM. That is, if you have the mixer configured to send channels 7/8 to USB, they're still labeled inputs 3/4 in AUM, or and any other destination app.

I guess this makes sense, as this lets you change the routing on the mixer, and not have to change any settings in AUM.

In the case of adding hardware FX to my instance of Model D on the iPad, this means that I can record the entire stereo mix from the Soundcraft, and I will get Model D's raw output and the FX, mixed as they are on the mixer.

I'm very happy about this! My Mac is on the same desk as the mixer, so it's not big deal to use it to quickly switch the routing. I even have a switchable USB hub.

• Thanks for all the experimentation and for sharing the results!

Yeah 1-4 XLRs is what I'd normally want too - though I guess sometimes it may be useful to record the L/R mix too.

Not sure whether to get this or the Behringer UMC404 for my wife's set up - she has an old Yamaha stagepas 300 that does pretty well as a live mixer - though I think the FX on this would be better.

• @ricksteruk said:

Notepad-12FX
    Using the Soundcraft USB Audio Control Panel for PC on the Soundcraft.com website, users can select the “Audio Routing” tab, to select the point in the console feeding the USB bus to computer.

• Mic Input 3+4
    • Stereo Input 5+6
    • Stereo Input 7+8
    • Mix L+R

USB return will come into the input channel 9+10, which is the channel where the USB-B connector is attached. This signal is summed with signal coming in the RCA 9+10 jacks, before proceeding down the input channel strip.

I guess the USB 3/4 inputs must be selected by software drivers as there does not appear to be a physical switch

See the first review on US Amazon for an alternate opinion.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@ricksteruk said:

Notepad-12FX

• Mic Input 3+4
    • Stereo Input 5+6
    • Stereo Input 7+8
    • Mix L+R

See the first review on US Amazon for an alternate opinion.

That’s using it with installed Windows. On the iPad and Mac, it works as the manual, according to my testing.

• @mistercharlie how's your Soundcraft mixer treating you these days? Still happy? Any iOS issues of stability problems? Preamps/noise levels ok?

• @jesse_ohio said:
    @mistercharlie how's your Soundcraft mixer treating you these days? Still happy? Any iOS issues of stability problems? Preamps/noise levels ok?

Funnily enough I was about the write something!

Very happy with it. Sometimes it fails to connect to GarageBand, but I think that’s a GB problem, as it’s always cool with AUM.

I have my guitar pedals in the effects loop of an Eventide MixingLink, and I plug the MixingLink into the SoundCraft via XLR. I also have an H9 in the SoundCraft’s FX loop. That lets me use it on either the guitar or any software synths from my iPad.

Quality is very good now I have it all dialed in. I love having knobs and faders to control everything. I also use it a lot of the time as a stand-alone mixer, playing guitar through it into my monitor speakers.

I’ve finally understood the routing, too. There are four digital ins and four outs.

Digital inputs 1+2 always come from hardware channels 1+2
    Digital inputs 3+4 are switchable. I have them set to the master L+R channels, so I can record from anything plugged into any channels.

Digital outputs 1+2 go to the stereo master out, i.e the monitors.
    Digital outputs 3+4 don’t go anywhere, unless you hit a switch next to the headphone jack, which makes it output only digital outputs 3+4. I plug this output into an Eventide H9

This last trick is fantastic. I just discovered this week that you can send, say, a synth to outputs 3+4 in AUM, then plug that into the H9. Then run the H9 into any stereo input on the mixer. In AUM you find this return in inputs 3+4. That sounds like it might feed back, but it doesn’t, as inputs 3+4 are nothing to do with outputs 3+4. They just have similar names.

You can use an effect as a send effect for the actual mixer, just by moving a cable to the other headphone output jack.

• Very nice feedback @mistercharlie thanks for taking the time!

I was all set to pick up a Behringer UMC404HD but was on the fence about the fact that I would still need a traditional mixer for live setups. The Soundstage looks like it can do all the USB I/O routing of the Behringer (at least what I would need), with the only loss being MIDI I/O, which I don't necessarily need right now.

How bad are the onboard delay/reverb/chorus effects (if you've even tried them)?

That Eventide MixingLink looks pretty interesting. Is it a huge improvement over running your guitar pedals right into the Hi-Z inputs on the Soundstage? I would imagine the Eventide preamps are much nicer.

• The Mixing Link is great. I use it for the preamps, which are much nicer (the soundcraft’s are actually very good too), and for the flexibility. The way I have it set up, I can just switch on the SoundCraft and the MixingLink and leave the pedals off, and not have to re-cable anything. I can also run a cable from the MixingLink straight to a regular amp. Etc.

But straight into the mixer is also very nice. Slightly more noise, but only if you crank he gain. The eq is fantastic. Really usable. Maybe it’s the “British” setup, but it always does just what you need. I often tweak the high end of the guitar, and it’s always just right.

The effects are pretty good. I have the reverb on all the time while I play. They’re never recorded, so I use if for practice, and for comfort. The delay is serviceable, but I have much better delays. And I hate chorus, so this sounds as bad as the rest :)

• Guys, I'm having some trouble getting my set-up right. I'm hoping that you'll be able to help me out.

Ideally, I like being able to jam with/without having my computer on. Connection-wise, let's just say I have 4 mono inputs into the mixer, using the main XLR cables out to my monitors, and a USB connection to my computer. I've tested and had success recording and monitoring inputs 1-4 into Ableton, and hearing the USB-return coming through on 9/10 into the main mix -> XLR outs.

But I'd really love to be able to record the Stereo L/R so that I can actually use the EQ and FX sends from the mixer. The problem becomes an issue of audio routing that I cannot seem to figure out. Let's say I have a drum loop going, or even just a metronome in Ableton. That is coming through 9/10 and into Stereo L/R, so I end up recording that into the track. I think my ideal solution is to monitor 9/10 but not have it feed into the Stereo L/R record channels - but I don't see that that's possible. Am I crazy, or is this a massive oversight?

How are you guys working around this?