Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KQ Dixie new AU FM synth

1101112131416»

Comments

• edited August 13

@espiegel123 said:

@Shabudua said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Never got the love for this. Dexed seems to be constantly working through programming and crash flaws, but it sounds so much better.

Dexed sounds better? I thought they were both DX7 emu’s more or less. How are their sound engines different? Any thoughts appreciated b/c I’m trying to decide on an iOS FM synth...

I am curious about this. I found one video last year where someone compared a few patches on actual DX7, KQ and desktop Dexed.

There were pretty minor differences to my ear (of course the audio was subject to youtube's lossy compression), and none of the three stood out as being better.

If someone has both, I would love to hear a recording demonstrating some patches where there is a significant difference along with a patch file for the patches.

All you've gotta test is the original Bass 1 preset ('Highway to the Danger Zone' by Loggins) which is available in both, and compare them against the sampled Bass 1 in FM Player. Dexed gets a lot more of that bite of the original at high velocities than Dixie, which seems muted at all velocities.

I'm not lecturing you, because it was eye opening to me when it came out, but a run through the free FM player sampler really shows the dirty and gritty edge the DX7 could have. It's not all smooth pianos and tines like many people think. Dexed does a much better job of capturing that personality.

• @oat_phipps said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Shabudua said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Never got the love for this. Dexed seems to be constantly working through programming and crash flaws, but it sounds so much better.

Dexed sounds better? I thought they were both DX7 emu’s more or less. How are their sound engines different? Any thoughts appreciated b/c I’m trying to decide on an iOS FM synth...

I am curious about this. I found one video last year where someone compared a few patches on actual DX7, KQ and desktop Dexed.

There were pretty minor differences to my ear (of course the audio was subject to youtube's lossy compression), and none of the three stood out as being better.

If someone has both, I would love to hear a recording demonstrating some patches where there is a significant difference along with a patch file for the patches.

All you've gotta test is the original Bass 1 preset ('Highway to the Danger Zone' by Loggins) which is available in both, and compare them against the sampled Bass 1 in FM Player. Dexed gets a lot more of that bite of the original at high velocities than Dixie, which seems muted at all velocities.

I'm not lecturing you, because it was eye opening to me when it came out, but a run through the free FM player sampler really shows the dirty and gritty edge the DX7 could have. It's not all smooth pianos and tines like many people think. Dexed does a much better job of capturing that personality.

Could you post samples of Dexed and KQ Dixie with such patches and a sysex file with both?

I have heard people describe what you say but in the only actual audio comparison that I heard, the differences were not dramatic.

I am hoping someone will post actual audio.

• @espiegel123 said:

@oat_phipps said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Shabudua said:

@oat_phipps said:

Could you post samples of Dexed and KQ Dixie with such patches and a sysex file with both?

I have heard people describe what you say but in the only actual audio comparison that I heard, the differences were not dramatic.

I am hoping someone will post actual audio.

Man, I would if I were more technically inclined, and if it was more important than two $5 apps. I hope you can understand my somewhat lazy reasoning.

• edited August 13

You know what, i had 5 minutes, so I changed my mind.

Soft to hard velocities

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pmnl298GPFlin86HaASWraje4V9zufBV/view?usp=drivesdk

1) KQ
    2) Dexed
    3) FM Player (original DX 7 sampled)

Quick and dirty, sorry the FM Player is so much louder. Just the default settings. Not worrying about it since KQ and Dixie are similar...FMP is just there as the original reference.

@espiegel123

• As you can hear, Dexed also captures some of the noisiness of the dx much better

• wimwim
    edited August 13

Output level often has a lot to do with people’s perception of similar apps’ and DAWs’ sound quality. Apps with higher relative output level usually sound much better, but if you match the levels those differences often go away.

When comparing patches between FMPlayer and KQDixie, FMP would always sound better until I first got rid of the FX and then matched volume. At that point they sounded slightly different from one another, but I can’t say either was “better” quality.

• edited August 13

@wim said:
    Output level often has a lot to do with people’s perception of similar apps’ and DAWs’ sound quality. Apps with higher relative output level usually sound much better, but if you match the levels those differences often go away.

When comparing patches between FMPlayer and KQDixie, FMP would always sound better until I first got rid of the FX and then matched volume. At that point they sounded slightly different from one another, but I can’t say either was “better” quality.

Yeah I understand that based on my upload, but I let it ride because FM player wasn't the real comparison, it was between KQ and Dexed, with FMP as the golden reference since it's directly sampled from the real thing.

Plus, they're like $4 apps in the end. Buy both and use the one you like. Not gonna get too scientific over a few bucks.

• wimwim
    edited August 14

Same. I like FMP for not having to mess around and KQD for being able to mess around. Never tried Dexed, only because I don’t need a third DX app. B)

• @oat_phipps said:

@wim said:

Yeah I understand that based on my upload, but I let it ride because FM player wasn't the real comparison, it was between KQ and Dexed, with FMP as the golden reference since it's directly sampled from the real thing.

Plus, they're like $4 apps in the end. Buy both and use the one you like. Not gonna get too scientific over a few bucks.

Thanks for posting. Was the same patch used for KQ and Dexed?

• @espiegel123 said:

@oat_phipps said:

@wim said:

Thanks for posting. Was the same patch used for KQ and Dexed?

Yes, of course

• Fwiw, the Dexed sample is about 6 dB louder than the KQ sample. After adjusting, the KQ and Dexed samples sound pretty similar . I don't have good speakers where I am and maybe they would sound very different if I did. Through my earbuds, they sound different, but I don't find it a "better or worse" type difference or even a difference in accuracy. The FM Player sample does very different.

• If I recall correctly Dexed has a few alternate dac emulations built-in!?
    Could it be that it’s just using lower bit resolution sine tables to get more of the original aliasing noises while KQ Dixie is using cleaner tables but still same algorithms?

I can’t use the Dexed iOS UI it hurts my eyes, like physically hurts...

• I found this tutorial on YouTube - How to add a cart to KQ Dixie for AUv3 consumption:

• Found this enchanting little video on the ever enlightening discchord.com:
    https://discchord.com/appnews/2019/11/11/ariel-raguet-flores

Not my video, only wish it was, lol. While viewing, what little remaining of my mind was blown. In other words, highly recommended! 🙃👍