Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KQ Dixie new AU FM synth

11011121416

Comments

  • For separate audio tracks, multiple instances of KQ are probably easiest. It's a super light AU.

  • I've never met anyone that actually owned a Yamaha TX816, although one did sit gathering dust in the corner of Turnkey on Charing Cross Road (London) for a good number of years.

  • @nondes said:
    For separate audio tracks, multiple instances of KQ are probably easiest. It's a super light AU.

    Yeah that's possible but now with Multi-timbral it so much easier to manage in one instance so hope the developer considers it. Multi AU instruments will be more common with in the future as hosts begin supporting it.

  • 'FM Layers' here we come :D

  • Just reading on the update notes that it now includes unison too. That should be fun. :)

  • And updates to the file system (haven't tried yet) so now maybe folks will stop griping about that.

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Big update. Like a TX802, not a TX816. We need the grungy DAC emu for that. :mrgreen:

    Been playing around with it, taking notes so I remember later, maybe this'll help someone.

    For creating big layered pads, with each timbre (preset) having it's own Pan and Volume.
    Set each to 'When Selected'. That way you can go into the 'Param' page and set the Pan...

    We can now save individual presets, and move them into their own folder in the AU sharing area. Haven't figured out how to save presets directly to the custom folder yet.
    There"s also a Quick Save feature, the presets are available in the AU, and you can rename them later. The file management's still tricky.

  • edited April 30


    From the left:

    • Create New Folder. It can be copied, moved, deleted.
    • Quick-save a single preset ('Dixie Performance' .dxpf file). These are saved in the 'Quick-Saved' folder (which is available in the AU). Can be moved, renamed, deleted, etc.
    • The old save mechanism, but now with .dxpf saving. And the old .syx saving.
    • Overwrite 'Dixie Performance' preset. Tap the button, select a .dxpf preset, confirm overwrite. Don't forget to un-tap the button when you're done.
    • Tap to copy to clipboard or to delete stuff.

    Don't see any key splits, range, transpose...for the usual multitimbral/combi setups, but each part can have its own delay settings, filter, master tune, etc. by using 'When Selected' in the Multitimbre setup page. Nice update.

  • excellent update devs. loving multi timbres

  • @ocelot re: a grungy dac, grab a Behringer audio interface. I shouldn't say because I have a UMD1820 and also actual TX802, TX81Z, TG33, and FB01. FB01 is def the dirtiest.

  • @jonmoore said:
    I've never met anyone that actually owned a Yamaha TX816, although one did sit gathering dust in the corner of Turnkey on Charing Cross Road (London) for a good number of years.

    Just the mention of Turnkey sent me instantly back to another hemisphere and era. Complete with all the magazine ads. Weird thing the mind.

    Looking forward to digging into this update.

  • @nondes said:
    @ocelot re: a grungy dac, grab a Behringer audio interface. I shouldn't say because I have a UMD1820 and also actual TX802, TX81Z, TG33, and FB01. FB01 is def the dirtiest.

    Cool thanks. Grab a TX7 for $100. Same as DX7 and TF in the TXx16. The dirtiest of 'em all by a country mile. :lol:

  • Looking for an ace dirty DAC in iOS land, look no further than the RX950.

    https://www.mathieudemange.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/RX950-documentation-EN.pdf

    Wouldn't be without it. Some proper old school 12-bit grunge with plenty of control to boot.

    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rx950-classic-ad-da-converter/id1406136418?mt=8

    Best $1.99 you'll spend for at least a week! ;)

  • Has anyone noticed the Dixie AU crashing a lot? The IAA seems to work fine, but I can't get more than a few seconds of the AU working.

  • @murky_fish said:
    Has anyone noticed the Dixie AU crashing a lot? The IAA seems to work fine, but I can't get more than a few seconds of the AU working.

    Which AU host? Do you have lots of old .syx banks? Upload the AUM or AB3 preset where Dixie AU crashes, and I'll take a look.
    FWIW, Dixie is the first AU loaded when I'm testing apps. It's among the most reliable and CPU-friendly AUs, but some old DX7 banks are corrupt.

  • @ocelot said:

    @murky_fish said:
    Has anyone noticed the Dixie AU crashing a lot? The IAA seems to work fine, but I can't get more than a few seconds of the AU working.

    Which AU host? Do you have lots of old .syx banks? Upload the AUM or AB3 preset where Dixie AU crashes, and I'll take a look.
    FWIW, Dixie is the first AU loaded when I'm testing apps. It's among the most reliable and CPU-friendly AUs, but some old DX7 banks are corrupt.

    Haven’t tried Audiobus, but in AUM, Cubasis, and Auria KQ Dixie crashes within a few seconds. I don’t have any DX7 banks—I did a fresh install.

  • If it's a new purchase/fresh install, and you already restarted your iPad, then I don't know what's causing it to crash.
    Under contact info: https://www.kiraqtech.jp/blog/

  • Bit funny really - you can control pretty much everything on this beautiful little synth - except enthusiasm ... the sort of epidemic of enthusiasm that gets you 50 gazillian patches in crazy little parcels. EEEK!

    Be almost worth hiving off and integrating one of those ios sysex file managers that claim all sorts of magic powers ... but it still involves listening to them all at some point doesn't it?

    Wonderfully musical gadget - can always find a use for it in just about anything. But I do spend an inordinate amount of time wandering about aimlessly listening to random patches ... leads one along.

    There's a seat on offer right next to the deity of your choice for someone who sifts through all this stuff and curates us a parcel of 1,000 of the best of the best of the best ... some amazing sounds out there... specially when you stack 'em up.

  • @Soundscaper said:
    Bit funny really - you can control pretty much everything on this beautiful little synth - except enthusiasm ... the sort of epidemic of enthusiasm that gets you 50 gazillian patches in crazy little parcels. EEEK!

    Be almost worth hiving off and integrating one of those ios sysex file managers that claim all sorts of magic powers ... but it still involves listening to them all at some point doesn't it?

    Wonderfully musical gadget - can always find a use for it in just about anything. But I do spend an inordinate amount of time wandering about aimlessly listening to random patches ... leads one along.

    There's a seat on offer right next to the deity of your choice for someone who sifts through all this stuff and curates us a parcel of 1,000 of the best of the best of the best ... some amazing sounds out there... specially when you stack 'em up.

    As the therapists suggest, you must confront your fears and claim that Godly seat as your own, we will worship you commensurately :)

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

    @Soundscaper said:
    Bit funny really - you can control pretty much everything on this beautiful little synth - except enthusiasm ... the sort of epidemic of enthusiasm that gets you 50 gazillian patches in crazy little parcels. EEEK!

    Be almost worth hiving off and integrating one of those ios sysex file managers that claim all sorts of magic powers ... but it still involves listening to them all at some point doesn't it?

    Wonderfully musical gadget - can always find a use for it in just about anything. But I do spend an inordinate amount of time wandering about aimlessly listening to random patches ... leads one along.

    There's a seat on offer right next to the deity of your choice for someone who sifts through all this stuff and curates us a parcel of 1,000 of the best of the best of the best ... some amazing sounds out there... specially when you stack 'em up.

    Where’s a good place to download Dx7 patches for Dixie?

    Google "DX7 sysex download", you will find loads

  • I probably shouldn't do this ... the first step on the road to ruin for many a musician ... http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/yamaha_dx7/dx7_patches.html
    The All The Web pack is monstrously huge and full of hidden gems.

    When you're bored with the few million in there and are ready for the harder stuff - there's this site devoted to the adoration of all things DX7 ... even t shirts ... http://dxsysex.com/

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:
    Thanks :) Not sure I’ll jump in. Sounds like a swamp out there ;) But curious to take a peek. Any of the sites have sound demos per patch? Or is it just luck of the draw? Will bookmark the links and take a peek at some point. Cheers

    I think you just have to wade in. I don't know of any audio previews of all the patches in those banks.

  • @jonmoore said:
    I've never met anyone that actually owned a Yamaha TX816, although one did sit gathering dust in the corner of Turnkey on Charing Cross Road (London) for a good number of years.

    I had an 816 for a few years. Never used it. To much of a pain.

  • edited May 13

    ftp://ftp.ucsd.edu/midi/patches/DX7/
    https://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/d.j.benson/pages/html/dx7.html
    http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/yamaha_dx7/dx7_patches.html (aka 'ALL THE WEB')
    http://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/

    Lots of redundant files in DX7_AllTheWeb, so use Dexed_cart_1.0 instead.

    DX7_AllTheWeb contains everything in my other folders/zip files EXCEPT for:
    Dexed_cart_1.0 - a few syx files missing from this one
    SynLib DX_TX (Marc Bareille).

    Tim Conrardy=Atari. These are my favorites. RIP Tim.


    How to save .syx banks in KQ Dixie standalone and AUx:

    • Place folders containing .syx Banks in Files.App>On My iPad>KQ Dixie. Or use iTunes File Sharing via iTunes on Mac/PC.
    • Then in the app, under 'iTunes File Sharing' the syx will be listed in this format: 'Folder/Bank.syx'.

    OLD VERSION:

    • To copy or move from 'iTunes File Sharing' to AUx, tap 'edit', tap 1 or more syx Banks, tap 'copy to clipboard', tap 'AUx', tap 'copy' or 'move'.
    • You can rename the .syx Banks, add author, etc. if desired.
    • To save to AUx, tap on a syx Bank, tap 'store', tap 'new', then name the Bank, select AUx, 32, & tap 'save'.
    • Once all Banks are saved in AUx, they can be removed from 'iTunes File Sharing'.

    NEW VERSION:
    ON 'CART' SCREEN, ICONS ON BOTTOM-RIGHT:

    • Create New Folder. It can be copied, moved, deleted.
    • Quick-save a single preset ('Dixie Performance' .dxpf file). These are saved in the 'Quick-Saved' folder (which is available in the AU). Can be moved, renamed, deleted, etc.
    • The old save mechanism, but now with .dxpf saving. And the old .syx saving.
    • Overwrite 'Dixie Performance' preset. Tap the button, select a .dxpf preset, confirm overwrite. Don't forget to un-tap the button when you're done.
    • Tap to copy to clipboard or to delete stuff.

    Header in sysex file needs to start with: F0 43 00 09 20 00

    Examples of the first few bytes that work:
    Made on DX7:
    F0 43 00 09 20 00 31 63 1C 44 62 62 5B 00 27
    Made on TX7:
    F0 43 00 09 20 00 42 1B 0A 08 63 5A 52 00 00
    Made on DX5:
    F0 43 00 09 20 00 4D 38 14 46 63 00 00 00 31
    Made on DX7II:
    F0 43 00 09 20 00 54 24 0A 10 63 63 5F 00 34 00
    Made on DX7S:
    F0 43 00 09 20 00 41 2C 16 32 63 00 00 00 27
    Made on TX802:
    F0 43 00 09 20 00 54 24 0A 10 63 63 5F 00 34
    Made on TX816:
    F0 43 00 09 20 00 5E 13 00 2A 63 5C 00 00 1A

    Examples that don't work:
    Made on DX1:
    F0 43 00 09 10 00 4D 38 14 46 63 00 00 00 31
    Made on DX7II:
    F0 43 10 19 4D 00 F7 F0 43 00 06 08 60 00 00

    There is a difference only in the header (on 1 only byte) so of course also in the checksum. There is absolutely no difference in their patches.


  • edited May 29
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dixie is the best ios synth ever!

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
Sign In or Register to comment.