KQ Dixie new AU FM synth

1910111315

Comments

  • @bozart said:
    And on second thought looks like I'll be learning to edit the dx7 proper, menu diving and all because they don't make a cheap enough midi interface for me to justify buying. Oh well, for 4$ KQ Dixie is still a dream of a little app and it is neat how seamlessly the dx7 works in tandem with it as a controller, 32 soundbanks and all.

    I had terrific luck with the iConnect midi for lightning/ios (it also has a standard USB adapter for working with a laptop...like you could use it with Dexed too, if you wanted). It ain't the cheapest ($59.95) but, I got mine basically for free thanks to the Musicians Friend point system, and I LOVE IT. I needed one for working with a Lemur editor for one of my synths (Modor Nf-1m...a real oddball Belgian synth module), and found that it works great with a free online Sysex editor for the Roland Boutique stuff as well. Go ahead and spend the 60 bucks you won't be disappointed.

    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/iconnectivity-iconnectmidi1-lightning-edition?rNtt=iconnect midi &index=1

  • @knewspeak said:
    Dixie works with my TX7, sometimes a little quirky, it sent across about 20 presets fine the rest were corrupted, so I had to send those individually.

    Can anyone help me? I have a DX7II-D and I am trying to send patches form KQ Dixie to it, but I can't figure out how. I am a connected via midi as I can hear the notes I play in the app play on the Yamaha, but I can't figure out how to edit or send patches to the DX7. Can anyone shed some light on this?

    Thanks.

  • @DYMS said:

    @knewspeak said:
    Dixie works with my TX7, sometimes a little quirky, it sent across about 20 presets fine the rest were corrupted, so I had to send those individually.

    Can anyone help me? I have a DX7II-D and I am trying to send patches form KQ Dixie to it, but I can't figure out how. I am a connected via midi as I can hear the notes I play in the app play on the Yamaha, but I can't figure out how to edit or send patches to the DX7. Can anyone shed some light on this?

    Thanks.

    When connected are changes to the various operators parameters reflected on the patch, on the DX7, also when you rename the patch in KQ Dixie, does it change on the DX7. I don't know about the DX7II-D but is there an option to enable/disable sysex communication.

  • @knewspeak said:

    @DYMS said:

    @knewspeak said:
    Dixie works with my TX7, sometimes a little quirky, it sent across about 20 presets fine the rest were corrupted, so I had to send those individually.

    Can anyone help me? I have a DX7II-D and I am trying to send patches form KQ Dixie to it, but I can't figure out how. I am a connected via midi as I can hear the notes I play in the app play on the Yamaha, but I can't figure out how to edit or send patches to the DX7. Can anyone shed some light on this?

    Thanks.

    When connected are changes to the various operators parameters reflected on the patch, on the DX7, also when you rename the patch in KQ Dixie, does it change on the DX7. I don't know about the DX7II-D but is there an option to enable/disable sysex communication.

    Could possibly be the adapter too particularly if it’s bluetooth. Some don’t support passing Sysex.

  • Thanks for the ideas. Will try tonight and report back.

  • Thanks again @wim and @knewspeak
    I figured it out. The Device ID on the DX7 IID needs to be the same as the midi channel in order for it to work. If it isn't then it shows an error when trying to send the patch. Can't stop playing with it now :)

  • @DYMS said:
    Thanks again @wim and @knewspeak
    I figured it out. The Device ID on the DX7 IID needs to be the same as the midi channel in order for it to work. If it isn't then it shows an error when trying to send the patch. Can't stop playing with it now :)

    Glad you got it working, the Dixie is a way better programming interface than the original on the DXs, have fun. Don't forget to save them if you create some cool patches.

  • Hey guys, does KQ Dixie show up for you in "On My iPad" in the Files app?
    I installed yesterday's update, didn't see it, so deleted & re-installed it twice...still no KQ Dixie "On My iPad' in Files?
    The folder is in iCloud Drive. By the way, the KQ Minisynth folder is in "On My iPad".
    ...Hmmm, now that I think of it, iCloud Drive should be good enough.

    Version History
    1.1.3 Sep 22, 2018
    A bug-fix: The Zip-like files were always opened in KQ Dixie at Files.app.
    As a side effect, "KQ Dixie" disappears from "On My iPhone/iPad" at Files.app.
    In addition, Zip and Syx files may not open out from Files.app when you installed the past version once.
    In that case, Copy files to iCloud, Start KQ Dixie application, and Open them.

  • Come
    on now, every synth made should have a velocity slider. Ive been wanting that feature one of those
    foryears! way to go devs !!

    @Trueyorky said:
    The velocity slider is a nice addition :)

  • Another nice update today. I used to dream about realtime parameter control of a DX7. The VSTs are nice but I think this iOS version is the best. :)


    MIDI CCs: In BM3, Rozeta LFO (w/ MIDI pass-thru ON) modulating any parameter via MIDI CCs.
    Record Knob movements+AU Automation: Record any knob/control movements from the UI directly.
    One instance (polyphonic) in BM3 with Rozeta LFO uses ~5% on an Air 1 with 512ms latency. Outstanding!

  • @ocelot said:
    Another nice update today. I used to dream about realtime parameter control of a DX7. The VSTs are nice but I think this iOS version is the best. :)


    MIDI CCs: In BM3, Rozeta LFO (w/ MIDI pass-thru ON) modulating any parameter via MIDI CCs.
    Record Knob movements+AU Automation: Record any knob/control movements from the UI directly.
    One instance (polyphonic) in BM3 with Rozeta LFO uses ~5% on an Air 1 with 512ms latency. Outstanding!

    does anybody know if the parameter automation is working in cubasis?

  • @RockySmalls said:

    does anybody know if the parameter automation is working in cubasis

    Yes. I automated changing the algorithm in Cubasis.

  • @overorange said:

    @RockySmalls said:

    does anybody know if the parameter automation is working in cubasis

    Yes. I automated changing the algorithm in Cubasis.

    many thanks for the info,, will probably get this one. though i have the brambos one and the TF7..

  • Hi.

    I've just bought this app but I'm having trouble opening & saving syx files. From the Files app I select a zip folder & it opens it in KQ Dixie but when I select a syx files from the folder I just get a password box saying 'warning The file may be corrupted or invalid password'.

    I know they aren't corrupt files as I can load a syx file that isn't in any folder structure but I cannot save it.

    Any ideas?

    Cheers, Darren

  • A few thoughts:

    Neither KQ Dixie nor Dexed (which is sort of its desktop equivalent) can open single patch files. They can only open banks of 32 patches. I would love to be proven wrong, as this is something I’d like to be able to do.

    There are banks of 32 patches that KQD doesn’t seem to like. I don’t think it’s common, but it’s definitely a thing. Some banks that load in Dexed or another desktop FM synth may not load in KQD. I had this problem with an older copy of Yamaha ROM 1 Bank A. Oddly, loading a different copy from another source (the huge Dexed Cart zip file) worked fine in KQD.

  • Do you have AudioShare? I use it as my zip and sysex repository for kqd without any problems

  • Ok I have sorted it now in that it will load banks when I open the web page links to the files. It is just the files on dropbox or iCloud that it doesn't like.

  • Weird. It should be happy with iCloud. As long as it works the way you want it to, all's good. Feel free to post if you have any more weirdness. KQ Dixie is one of my fave iOS synths.

    And Phasemaker.

    And NFM1.

    Hmmm. A pattern.

  • Hmm, interesting :)

    Wonder if it will have built-in performance (ie. layers and key-splits) manager?

  • @Samu said:

    Hmm, interesting :)

    Wonder if it will have built-in performance (ie. layers and key-splits) manager?

    This app would really benefit from a regular patch save/load system option... if I don’t use it for a while it feels like Russian roulette trying to save something.

  • Cool!

    Now, if they'd only improve the libary/cartridge/preset saving

  • Nice,
    Yes performance presets like TX802 would be great, even better if they were compatible. Looks like only 4 though so unlikely to be the same format.

  • This will be great with Polythemus.

    I've been using Polythemus with Casio CZ to great effect and KQ Dixie will be ace too, kind of like a TX81Z in performance mode, utilized as a single instrument; always the best way to use a TX81Z IMO considering it was only 8 voice polyphonic.

  • If only KQ Dixie read Tx81Z or FB01 and TG77 sysex. I know TG77 requires AWM but if only. At least, now Patch Base supports TG77 so that's getting put to good use. Still looking forward to this Multi-timbral update.

  • @nondes said:
    If only KQ Dixie read Tx81Z or FB01 and TG77 sysex. I know TG77 requires AWM but if only. At least, now Patch Base supports TG77 so that's getting put to good use. Still looking forward to this Multi-timbral update.

    That would be nice but require that KQ Dixie would add support for the added waveforms on the TX81z.
    A more 'simple' 4OP FM synth could be handy too adding feature from the ReFace DX like per operator feedback.
    Call it KQ Tixie :D

    Too bad Yamaha seems to have abandoned the awesome (After unlocking via an MX keyboard) FM Essentials.app and it's still plagued by the 'same patch on all instances' bug that is apparently by design...

    The FM Essentials.app is as close to a real TX81z as it gets but doesn't support the performance mode(8 parts), 'midi-echo/fake-reverb'(it can transpose the echoed notes so it's like 'shimmer light') and other nice things the real TX81z has.

  • edited April 30

    update is here and it supports 16 channels which is pretty amazing, haven't tried it yet though :)
    What would be handy now is multiple AU ports for audio...

  • 16 channels or parts? That would be like a Tx816 x 2!

  • @nondes said:
    16 channels or parts? That would be like a Tx816 x 2!

    up to 16 parts :)

Sign In or Register to comment.