Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Odessa (LIVE - IT FINALLY HAPPENED!)

Comments

• edited November 2017

Funny.. all the Arps I've ever come across have cumulative latch. Must be a hardware convention then I guess. If you're going to change chords all the time you don't really need a latch?

But maybe I can do a mode switch there.

• @mschenkel.it said:

@ipadthai said:

@mschenkel.it said:
    aum keyboard have this kind of latch

Ah, I only tried the AUM keyboard with it. I'll try my MIDI keyboard and see if that makes a difference.

Update: no difference.

I guess you got me wrong: I was saying about cumulative latch mode where the previous notes do not drop on successive hits instead of memorizing a chord and dropping it with the next chord pressed

Maybe I'm being unclear. I thought maybe it was just the AUM keyboard that caused the Odessa cumulative latch but it happened on my MIDI controller as well when using Odessa.

• @brambos said:
    Funny.. all the Arps I've ever come across have cumulative latch. Must be a hardware convention then I guess. If you're going to change chords all the time you don't really need a latch?

But maybe I can do a mode switch there.

Not a huge deal but that would sweet. Thanks for considering it.

Just did a quick survey of apps I have with ARPs. fwiw...

iMini has an example of both latch modes if you have that one. "Hold" resets (on the first note on after the last note off for all notes currently in the buffer), "Memory" works like Odessa's latch.

StepPolyArp, DRC, iSEM, Thumbjam and Model 15 all reset when new notes are played if latch is on.

Sunrizer, Magellan and Cassini don't have latch mode on their arpeggiators (that I could find) but all have 'Hold' on the keyboard. Sunrizer and Magellan are cumulative, Cassini replaces. :) Model 15's keyboard's hold is also cumulative.

• OK @brambos, you hit it out of the park with Odessa. You may have one week to squash bugs and add the 87 feature requests from this thread. But then we want you focused on "Brolca Sample" or for short, "Brampler". Please provide regular status updates up until release day, 24-Dec-2017. We're counting on you.

• @wim said:
    OK @brambos, you hit it out of the park with Odessa. You may have one week to squash bugs and add the 87 feature requests from this thread. But then we want you focused on "Brolca Sample" or for short, "Brampler". Please provide regular status updates up until release day, 24-Dec-2017. We're counting on you.

O I like it! Brampler!

• @syrupcore said:

Interesting, it's all over the place then. Admittedly, my experience is mostly with the arpeggiators built into hardware synths, which have all been of the cumulative arp type.

So the "reset" type arps, they refresh if you press a new key after a timeout, or after having released the last key of the current chord? What's the preferred algorithm?

• edited November 2017

@brambos said:

@syrupcore said:

Interesting, it's all over the place then. Admittedly, my experience is mostly with the arpeggiators built into hardware synths, which have all been of the cumulative arp type.

So the "reset" type arps, they refresh if you press a new key after a timeout, or after having released the last key of the current chord? What's the preferred algorithm?

This one: "after having released the last key of the current chord."

So hold chord and add two new notes = new notes added to held chord.

Hold chord, release chord, hold two new notes = only the two new notes.

• yeah, this is groundbreaking stuff!

• pure AU setups are a whole new world of glitch free fun, absolutely glorious! lets not forget to leave a rating on the app store eh

• @brambos said:

@syrupcore said:

I prefer cumulative. I’d like to see “As Played” under Direction. I had a hardware synth that did that. Could get some very cool stuff going that way.

• Think it was mentioned already but I’d love to see accents in the X0X sequencer. Would also be handy if the channels had an indicator. When pointed at drum sets that don’t really match the labels, it takes hunting and pecking to find which ones are triggering sounds!

Any word if we might endevour to hope for AB3 to support these? Would be handy to be able to more easily use existing AB MIDI effects in conjunction with the Odessa sequencers. Plus, until Odessa, I didn’t really understand why people wanted channel bookmarks in AUM. :) Suddenly my AUM sessions have become crazy beasts!

• edited November 2017

@anickt said:

@brambos said:

@syrupcore said:

I prefer cumulative. I’d like to see “As Played” under Direction. I had a hardware synth that did that. Could get some very cool stuff going that way.

I like both. They’re good/useful for different reasons. Since AUM already has a cumulative latch keyboard, if I had to pick, I’d root for non-cumulative latch in the oARP.

Big big plus one for ‘as played’ as a mode. Not only fun/useful for arpeggios but it opens the door to using the ARP as the transpose source for other sequencers. Especially with the cumulative latch mode!

• @syrupcore said:

@anickt said:

@brambos said:

@syrupcore said:

I like both. They’re good/useful for different reasons. Since AUM already has a cumulative latch keyboard, if I had to pick, I’d root for non-cumulative latch in the oARP.

Big big plus one for ‘as played’ as a mode. Not only fun/useful for arpeggios but it opens the door to using the ARP as the transpose source for other sequencers. Especially with the cumulative latch mode!

@anickt said:

@brambos said:

@syrupcore said:

I've been asking him for this for over a week now lol. I'd love as played as well :) along with non cumulative latch.

• I’m loving controlling Gadget with this: using the XOX to trigger Gadget drum tracks and Abu Dhabi, The ARP connected to a Gadget synth and Bassline connected to a....Gadget bass. All jammed via the AUM keyboard, with a bit of switching back to the Gadget mixer.

The best fun I’ve had making music on the iPad in a long time.

• Lovely playing with this last night - thanks brambos. Also love the fact that while AUM surfaces the midi from the AUv3, using midi flow adapter gets this anywhere and is now my primary midi generator on a phone :)

• Is it possible to trigger BM3 pads? Tried to do this via Bassline, not having much success. Would save me having to buy Vancouver if it’s possible.

• Sorry to hijack thread ( about Amazing Bram app )
    Please what is this xox
    Could you please put a link in please
    Keep hearing about it, can't find it in app store

• @MonzoPro said:
    I’m loving controlling Gadget with this: using the XOX to trigger Gadget drum tracks and Abu Dhabi, The ARP connected to a Gadget synth and Bassline connected to a....Gadget bass. All jammed via the AUM keyboard, with a bit of switching back to the Gadget mixer.

Interesting. Can I ask why better than using gadget sequencers?

• @Nicebutfun said:
    Sorry to hijack thread ( about Amazing Bram app )
    Please what is this xox
    Could you please put a link in please
    Keep hearing about it, can't find it in app store

Xox is a part of Odessa. You can see it in Dougs video in action

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I’m loving controlling Gadget with this: using the XOX to trigger Gadget drum tracks and Abu Dhabi, The ARP connected to a Gadget synth and Bassline connected to a....Gadget bass. All jammed via the AUM keyboard, with a bit of switching back to the Gadget mixer.

Sure. As I prefer jamming stuff out live, I can build sequences and rhythms quicker with the AUM/Brambos combo, and trigger them from lots of different AU sources, with lots of use of the randomiser. If Brambos add a transpose option per section, then I could jam out a whole track this way. Only hassle is jumping back and forth to the Gadget mixer window, so I need to investigate the split screen thingy.

• Soooooo. Coming way late to party.
    2 quick question.
    Can we label or have different icons for the various midi bits. I have like lost track of what is oddesa arp, or baseline? I have like 7 instances of things and gets confusing. Maybe I miss this?

Thanks.

• @Chaztrip said:
    Soooooo. Coming way late to party.
    2 quick question.
    Can we label or have different icons for the various midi bits. I have like lost track of what is oddesa arp, or baseline? I have like 7 instances of things and gets confusing. Maybe I miss this?

Thanks.

You can rename the channels

• @mschenkel.it said:

@Chaztrip said:
    Soooooo. Coming way late to party.
    2 quick question.

Thanks.

You can rename the channels

Uggggg. Thanks.

• @MonzoPro said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@MonzoPro said:

Sure. As I prefer jamming stuff out live, I can build sequences and rhythms quicker with the AUM/Brambos combo, and trigger them from lots of different AU sources, with lots of use of the randomiser. If Brambos add a transpose option per section, then I could jam out a whole track this way. Only hassle is jumping back and forth to the Gadget mixer window, so I need to investigate the split screen thingy.

That's what I figured. Thanks for insight into your workflow. Or playflow, actually.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@MonzoPro said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@MonzoPro said:

That's what I figured. Thanks for insight into your workflow. Or playflow, actually.

It’s mucking about really, but the only way I can work these days. I can sit down with a guitar and write a whole song, stick into a DAW, and bass and whatnot and it’ll sound like ‘a proper thing. But I find myself slipping into the same old riffs and cliches, and the finished track sounds dull as ditchwater to my ears - I almost don’t need to record it as it’s already been done a million times in my head already.

However, if I chuck a load of apps together, jam, randomise and generally play about I’ll stumble on new things. Things I haven’t heard before. 95% is unlistenable rubbish, but the other 5 entertains me at least.

I then pick a few of these recorded jams at random, and mix them together in Soundforge - again, throwing another random element into the process, and from this I’ll have a finished track.

When I listen back to it, it’ll probably be the first time I’ve heard it all the way through, so it’s like listening to someone else’s track.

Weird I know, but it keeps me off the streets.

• @MonzoPro said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@MonzoPro said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@MonzoPro said:

It’s mucking about really, but the only way I can work these days. I can sit down with a guitar and write a whole song, stick into a DAW, and bass and whatnot and it’ll sound like ‘a proper thing. But I find myself slipping into the same old riffs and cliches, and the finished track sounds dull as ditchwater to my ears - I almost don’t need to record it as it’s already been done a million times in my head already.

However, if I chuck a load of apps together, jam, randomise and generally play about I’ll stumble on new things. Things I haven’t heard before. 95% is unlistenable rubbish, but the other 5 entertains me at least.

I then pick a few of these recorded jams at random, and mix them together in Soundforge - again, throwing another random element into the process, and from this I’ll have a finished track.

When I listen back to it, it’ll probably be the first time I’ve heard it all the way through, so it’s like listening to someone else’s track.

Weird I know, but it keeps me off the streets.

This is how I play now. I used to care what others thought and kinda needed to get stuff down, ordered and there for inspection, but now I’m simply happy with the process of jamming until something makes me smile :)

• It’s not possible to change individual hit velocity in Odessa:Rhythm correct? Just wanna be sure I didn’t miss it.

• Sorry if this has been asked before, but, was the ‘variation feature’ (button) pulled from Odessa’s Bassline (Troublemaker)?

Is there a manual?

Thanks, loving and learning...

• Does it have swing?

• Does it blend?