Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Odessa (LIVE - IT FINALLY HAPPENED!)

Comments

• @dvlmusic said:
    I spent a fair amount of time last night (after I figured out how to get DM1 & DM2 running) trying to map Odessa's LFO to the Pulse Width parameters in Zeeon. I know this can be done within Zeeon itself through the mod matrix, but I was just using this as a way to learn how to route Odessa to other MIDI destinations.

I wasn't able to get this sorted. Anyone got the details on MIDI mapping in AUM? I went into MIDI Control, chose Zeeon (Channel 1) and went to Parameters. I mapped L1 LFO 1 Wave to CH 3 (Odessa LFO) cc 13 (first LFO) and L1 LFO 2 WAVE to cc 15, made sure the Odessa LFO was showing the same cc channels and.....

Zip. Zilch. Nada. Nuttin'.

What am I missing?

One day I vow I will no longer be a Midiot.

You have to route the Odessa channel to the zeeon one at the top of midi control section, look for midi sources

• @syrupcore said:
    Woot! Big congrats @brambos. Will upgrade to iOS 11 this weekend, entirely due to your offering. Can't wait.

Ditto. Quite something for one app to be that jump trigger.

Odessa is pretty amazing, and highlights just what a premium utility AUM is in itself. (If anybody was in any doubt!?)

Also, for the first time, I tip my hat to Apple on an iOS upgrade. Not sure how it is on all devices, but the recent pro really comes alive with iOS 11.

A brilliant month for iOS music and we have NanoStudio 2 to come next month!! :)

• @brambos said:

@syrupcore said:
    Upgraded to 11 last night. Odessa is a blast. I was under the impression that I could transpose the rhythm sequencer via the AUM keyboard but couldn't find a way to do it. Am I just missing something?

Only Bassline can be transposed now. What would be the use case for transposing Rhythm (considering most drums are mapped to specific keys)?

It's the perfect "Mom, can I be Philip Glass one day?" machine. I want to use it to make euclidean melodic riffs/arpeggios and 'moving' chord rhythms. It's actually specifically why I upgraded! Need the ability to remotely transpose it to take it out of drone territory though.

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2017

@brambos
    I use Rythm to drive synths by manually selecting the output notes to match the songs scale. Therefore a transpose via midi would be cool :)

BTW saving own mapping templates would also be nice or displaying the note name (ie D2#) instead/additionally to the midi note number would help

I am really enjoying the suite, running all your apps (really) plus some audios damage fx and phoenix in a 16 channel AUM setup with 33% cpu - i probably will add more instances B)

• edited November 2017

@Littlewoodg said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    I’m on an iPhone SE small screen and I’m able to work with all the plugins perfectly! I’d imagine works better on yours . I’m on latest IOS.

@Littlewoodg said:
    Asking again- anyone tried Odessa/AUM in iPhone 6 or 6 Plus?

I'm not upgrading the iPad Air 2 to 11 but really want to try this new modular DAW.
    Hopefully someone can assure me a setup on the phone with some complexity will fly

Yep, just tried it on my SE and it’s small, but perfectly usable, and as the SE is more powerful than my Air 2 is should run more apps.

Good information thanks! I have Alchemy on the phone but I'll give it up as I still have it on the iOS 10 Air 2

I updated my Air 2 to iOS11 yesterday (for Odessa). I haven't got Alchemy so that wasn't an issue - but there is a very slight lag on screen rotation and a few other bits, and battery life has been hit a bit. My main complaint is that it seems slower to charge now - that happened with the SE too at first, so maybe there's something going on when you first update that affects charging speed. Hopefully it'll pick up like the SE.

I don't regret updating though - Odessa has sparked new life into my workflow - which is usually AUM based anyway, but there have been other benefits - it's able to trigger apps such as DM1, iElectribe and Gadget, which I've hardly touched this year, so they're getting a new lease of life. And Garageband too, the updates on that are really useful, so that one will be dragged out of the cupboard for a bit of noodling too. I can now also run (and record) two AU instances of Model 15 via AUM, it didn't like it at first but after a reboot is crackle free.

I was VERY nervous about updating, but glad I took the plunge.

• ... to that end, another request: it would be sporting if there were an option to show note names instead of note numbers when editing the scale by hand. More scales (and scale spreads) would be handsome too!

• @syrupcore said:

@brambos said:

@syrupcore said:
    Upgraded to 11 last night. Odessa is a blast. I was under the impression that I could transpose the rhythm sequencer via the AUM keyboard but couldn't find a way to do it. Am I just missing something?

Only Bassline can be transposed now. What would be the use case for transposing Rhythm (considering most drums are mapped to specific keys)?

It's the perfect "Mom, can I be Philip Glass one day?" machine. I want to use it to make euclidean melodic riffs/arpeggios and 'moving' chord rhythms. It's actually specifically why I upgraded! Need the ability to remotely transpose it to take it out of drone territory though.

Yeah I use the Odessa Rhythm for melodic sequences too :). Transpose would be great. I've been routing into Audiobus 3 and using Midlflow and then back into AUM. You can transpose each channel in AUM too.

• @mschenkel.it said:

@dvlmusic said:
    I spent a fair amount of time last night (after I figured out how to get DM1 & DM2 running) trying to map Odessa's LFO to the Pulse Width parameters in Zeeon. I know this can be done within Zeeon itself through the mod matrix, but I was just using this as a way to learn how to route Odessa to other MIDI destinations.

I wasn't able to get this sorted. Anyone got the details on MIDI mapping in AUM? I went into MIDI Control, chose Zeeon (Channel 1) and went to Parameters. I mapped L1 LFO 1 Wave to CH 3 (Odessa LFO) cc 13 (first LFO) and L1 LFO 2 WAVE to cc 15, made sure the Odessa LFO was showing the same cc channels and.....

What am I missing?

You have to route the Odessa channel to the zeeon one at the top of midi control section, look for midi sources

Ok - just did that. Selected Chan 3 (Odessa LFO) and it has a check mark next to it. Still nothing...

Sorry no screen caps - I'm at work at the moment and can't post from the iPad.

• Got it! I’ll add transposable Rhythm to the requests list :smiley:

• @brambos said:
    What would be the use case for transposing Rhythm (considering most drums are mapped to specific keys)?

I would say trying to mimic a piano-grid/step-sequencer (ie. set the 'drum notes' to play a scale and transpose the scale using the keyboard).

For me I need more on-screen keyboards in AUM :D

• @dvlmusic said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@dvlmusic said:

What am I missing?

Ok - just did that. Selected Chan 3 (Odessa LFO) and it has a check mark next to it. Still nothing...

The best way to go is to activate the control you want to map (so that it, and only it is sending data), then hit "learn". That will both tell you if you have your routing is working, and also avoid any mistakes.

I know it can be done 'cause coincidentally that was one of the first things I tried.

• @brambos, I was wondering if the AUx midi out mechanism has any provision where the app can be made to go into an FX slot? The number of channels in AUM quickly gets overwhelming, and distracts from it as a mixer. If you could stack 'em up into a single slot per function, it would be a lot easier to manage.

I figure you would have already done this if it was possible, but thought I'd ask.

• @wim said:

@dvlmusic said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@dvlmusic said:

What am I missing?

The best way to go is to activate the control you want to map (so that it, and only it is sending data), then hit "learn". That will both tell you if you have your routing is working, and also avoid any mistakes.

I know it can be done 'cause coincidentally that was one of the first things I tried.

That did it - looks like I should've chosen Channel 1 over Channel 3. Cool - appreciate the hand-holding while I figure all this out.

• @wim said:
    @brambos, I was wondering if the AUx midi out mechanism has any provision where the app can be made to go into an FX slot? The number of channels in AUM quickly gets overwhelming, and distracts from it as a mixer. If you could stack 'em up into a single slot per function, it would be a lot easier to manage.

I figure you would have already done this if it was possible, but thought I'd ask.

I'm exploring those possibilities with Jonatan. We can do a lot of things, but we also need to be mindful of how Apple likely intended any features to be used - for future compatibility. Unfortunately, there are several ways to go about it and the documentation lacks a detail or two (cough). So we either have to make some clever assumptions or ask details from Apple.

We all remember the AU Preset chaos that was caused by Apple's lack of clarity in the humble beginnings of AU. So I hope we're going about this right from the get-go ;)

• @brambos I imagine it's probably also the limitation of AUv3 that you can only have one icon? It would be handy to have different icons, at least a derivative of the icon for each element of the suite to make it easier when navigating.

This maybe something Jonatan could address if it's not possible with AU. Currently the name is revealed when you slide the icon back, but maybe this could be more visible. (or at least in the options). :)

• edited November 2017

@brambos said:
    Got it! I’ll add transposable Rhythm to the requests list :smiley:

Could I request an option to transpose sequence parts in Bassline, or even just the nudge option in Troublemaker? That way we can duplicate sections and transpose them to give a key change effect. At the moment it transposes the whole thing.

• @MonzoPro said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Wow really? Didn’t know that. :)

@MonzoPro said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    I’m on an iPhone SE small screen and I’m able to work with all the plugins perfectly! I’d imagine works better on yours . I’m on latest IOS.

@Littlewoodg said:

I'm not upgrading the iPad Air 2 to 11 but really want to try this new modular DAW.
    Hopefully someone can assure me a setup on the phone with some complexity will fly

Yep, just tried it on my SE and it’s small, but perfectly usable, and as the SE is more powerful than my Air 2 is should run more apps.

Yeah I was surprised too, but the comparison charts show it’s about 25% more powerful. I can run three Model 15 AU’s on it, compared to 2 (with crackles) on the Air 2.

um. i run 3 without crackles on my air2 D=

• @brambos said:

@syrupcore said:

when you have say a giant bank of drums in ableton which can go upto 64 drum sounds being able to transpose lets you swap between 4-5 kicks etc. or even between 4-5 entire kits. (depends on the drum rack)

• @brambos Do you have a User Guide or Manual anywhere? I'm still trying to figure out how the whole sliding/bending not thing works in Bassline as I don't own Troublemaker.... might be useful for some of the others as well...

• @dvlmusic said:
    @brambos Do you have a User Guide or Manual anywhere? I'm still trying to figure out how the whole sliding/bending not thing works in Bassline as I don't own Troublemaker.... might be useful for some of the others as well...

Sliding needs to be implemented on the end of the synth/plugin. Odessa will simply generate overlapping MIDI notes. Many monosynths interpret this as a trigger for a slide/legato. So the MIDI itself will not make an audible pitch-slide and it will not have much effect if the synth doesn't support it.

• I personally have seen an increase in the quality of my work INSTANTLY.

How?

Because I use Ripplemaker daily. I rely on it greatly.

So, my mastery of that sequencer and techiniques for recording and live are part of my deal.

So, now with this approach on apps like Kauldren and others.........fat shit being made already!

Thanks BramBone

• Regarding 'controllers' in AUM it would be amazing to see something similar to the Midiflow Keyboard built-in into AUM. That would make it a breeze to control multiple instances of the Odessa plug-ins...

• @brambos said:

@dvlmusic said:
    @brambos Do you have a User Guide or Manual anywhere? I'm still trying to figure out how the whole sliding/bending not thing works in Bassline as I don't own Troublemaker.... might be useful for some of the others as well...

Sliding needs to be implemented on the end of the synth/plugin. Odessa will simply generate overlapping MIDI notes. Many monosynths interpret this as a trigger for a slide/legato. So the MIDI itself will not make an audible pitch-slide and it will not have much effect if the synth doesn't support it.

That I got - it's more that I don't understand how to draw the dotted and solid connecting lines in the sequencer. I figured out that the brighter points are the accents but I'm just fat-fingering all over the place trying to tie notes together...

• @brambos

Pardon if I missed the answer (this thread has gone wonderfully bonkers with activity), but any reason why the X0X maxes out at 24 steps and not 32?

Having a delightful time with this app in AUM. Keep up the good work.

• 24 steps = 1 bar of 1/16t steps.

• @dvlmusic said:

@brambos said:

@dvlmusic said:

That I got - it's more that I don't understand how to draw the dotted and solid connecting lines in the sequencer. I figured out that the brighter points are the accents but I'm just fat-fingering all over the place trying to tie notes together...

Just tap the dotted line :)

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Wow really? Didn’t know that. :)

@MonzoPro said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Yeah I was surprised too, but the comparison charts show it’s about 25% more powerful. I can run three Model 15 AU’s on it, compared to 2 (with crackles) on the Air 2.

um. i run 3 without crackles on my air2 D=

Can you record them as well? I’ll try that later...

• @dvlmusic Just tap between the notes to toggle none, dotted or solid connection.

• BETWEEN!!!!! Of course - now I just feel dumb.

Man - I must've tapped everywhere on the screen but between the notes. Thanks, man - I'm full of all sorts of stupid questions today.