Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Kids today don't know what they've got!

Comments

• edited July 2017

@db909 said:
    Nothing's changed, except now everyone has a handy dandy term to throw around when they think something is bullshit. Whether there might be an element of truth in a story, etc who cares? FAKE NEWS! Barf

Who cares? That is exactly the point. You've fallen headfirst into the trap. If people no longer trust the news, and have to find out for themselves, tens of millions will be too busy or lazy and remain in the dark. Job done for those seeking to suppress information.

What has changed big time, is instead of the inaccuracy, spin and bias which have always been there to some extent, now there is deliberate, calculated and relentless media manipulation. All major political parties and corporations are at it, telling blatant lies.

CNN for example, recently tried to use its weight to bully a chap whose 'crime' was to publish a political comment in the form of a cartoon. Charlie Hebbdo, anyone. As a result, their main anchorwoman lost millions of viewers, and their App Store rating is straight down the toilet. CNN is not a credible news station, yet it's still on-air and well funded. Who does that serve? Not you or I.

• @Kühl said:
    I have to disagree, at least in some instances.

Me too.

Regardless of the fact that they refer to different times and situations, many politically motivated songs retain their power to inform or simply make us think. A few off the top of my head...

Lives In The Balance - Jackson Browne
    Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
    Sympathy For The Devil - Rolling Stones
    Tramp Down The Dirt - Elvis Costello
    Point Blank - Bruce Springsteen

• @brambos said:

@cian said:
    As for music. Dunno, but US popular music of the 80s was pretty rubbish too.

The 80s were generally a pretty rubbish decade.

All forgiven for Bananarama.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@brambos said:

@cian said:
    As for music. Dunno, but US popular music of the 80s was pretty rubbish too.

The 80s were generally a pretty rubbish decade.

All forgiven for Bananarama.

No, no, no...

All Hail Bananarama

There, corrected for you etc.

• @brambos said:

@Zen210507 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Po.

Okay, please point me at an example of kids today producing anything as rebellious as the Sex Pistols.

You're just talking about music? Because millennials are responsible for some of the most disruptive socio-economic trends in a century.

Not in Mid Wales they're not. Or the majority of the UK - which is undergoing some of the most devastating economic and social changes in over half a century.

If ever there was a time for a galvanising musical force (for all generations) it's now, but most millenials idea of protest is to 'like' a meme on Facebook.

• I think it´s not easy for kids today. The world is broken more than ever.
    Sounds strange but i´m happy i´m no kid anymore (just in my mind lol).
    I just do wish i could have the health and power and time to learn more new things, start a new job i feel better with but would still have all the experience of life i have...even the bad things helped me sometimes.
    Some days ago i watched the movie Elysium again and it reminded me that it´s a really possible future soon.

• @Zen210507 said:

@Kühl said:

Me too.

Regardless of the fact that they refer to different times and situations, many politically motivated songs retain their power to inform or simply make us think. A few off the top of my head...

Great examples. I tried to wring my brain to find something Stones did that was political, but you named it.
    One of my all time favourite songs. When I worked as I DJ, in the early 2000s, SFTD was guaranteed success whatever age, sex or political orientation. Except the christians, everyone danced lol
    Anyway... the Rolling Stones are beginning to disprove that an excessive lifestyle with sex drugs & Rock'n'Roll, is unhealthy... I got to meet Bill Wyman a few years ago, as I worked as a radio DJ, wow man... he was cool about things... lol I got stories man, but that's for another forum.

• @Kühl said:

@Zen210507 said:

@Kühl said:

Me too.

Great examples. I tried to wring my brain to find something Stones did that was political, but you named it.
    One of my all time favourite songs. When I worked as I DJ, in the early 2000s, SFTD was guaranteed success whatever age, sex or political orientation. Except the christians, everyone danced lol
    Anyway... the Rolling Stones are beginning to disprove that an excessive lifestyle with sex drugs & Rock'n'Roll, is unhealthy... I got to meet Bill Wyman a few years ago, as I worked as a radio DJ, wow man... he was cool about things... lol I got stories man, but that's for another forum.

Under Cover of Night was political, but not really top drawer Stones by any means. I always felt Gimme Shelter was a protest song (but I think it was just reflecting the screaming in my head). Of course Street Fightin' Man appears to be political, but I tend to think of Jagger as more an observer than a 'to the barricades' type....

• edited July 2017

@MonzoPro said:
    If ever there was a time for a galvanising musical force (for all generations) it's now, but most millenials idea of protest is to 'like' a meme on Facebook.

Well said, MrMonzo.

Facetube and Twater, are not 'social' at all. Both are insidious organisations full of people with nothing to say, saying it a lot. Worse still, is the lack of tolerance for any view that challenges the agenda being pushed.

Example. In my very brief foray on Twater, I got involved in what I thought was an open-minded discussion on what, at the time, was going on at Calais. Merely quoting EU law concerning refugees got me branded 'a massive racist', I suffered serious defamatory attacks using photos stolen from my own website, and an entirely bogus review of a product I was associated with on Amazon!

Later, I researched the perps, and found they were millenials who thought of themselves as liberal and leftist....right up until someone had a different view. Then it was 'burn the heretic' time. None of these people had the slightest clue that they were being conned into supporting those whose main aim was to maintain the unfairness and status quo. *

• Sadly not Rossi and Parfitt.
  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Kühl said:

@Zen210507 said:

@Kühl said:

Me too.

Under Cover of Night was political, but not really top drawer Stones by any means. I always felt Gimme Shelter was a protest song (but I think it was just reflecting the screaming in my head). Of course Street Fightin' Man appears to be political, but I tend to think of Jagger as more an observer than a 'to the barricades' type....

I consider Satisfaction to be their first political song. It's a pretty damn catchy critique of manufacturing consent.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Kühl said:

@Zen210507 said:

@Kühl said:

Me too.

I consider Satisfaction to be their first political song. It's a pretty damn catchy critique of manufacturing consent.

Agreed. Sarcasm and cultural skewering is his strong point (for me), as opposed to rallying cries...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Agreed. Sarcasm and cultural skewering is his strong point (for me), as opposed to rallying cries...

A clever lyricist in his day. Now more like a walking Wonga advert.

• @Cib said:
    Some days ago i watched the movie Elysium again and it reminded me that it´s a really possible future soon.

Eh, it was a movie? I thought it was a documentary. :#

• @Zen210507 said:

@Cib said:

Eh, it was a movie? I thought it was a documentary. :#

For the next generation....it could be indeed. :o

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Kühl said:

@Zen210507 said:

@Kühl said:

Me too.

But then they licensed it to be used in a Snickers advert, which kinda defeats the whole point of the song, and surely they didn't really need the money by then...

• @richardyot said:
    But then they licensed it to be used in a Snickers advert, which kinda defeats the whole point of the song, and surely they didn't really need the money by then...

Yeah, the greed element never ceases to disgust me. Sure, have a great life if your efforts bring financial rewards. But way too many very successful acts appear never to have heard of altruism.

• @richardyot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Kühl said:

@Zen210507 said:

@Kühl said:

Me too.

I dunno...
    Klein's estate still controls the licensing of songs from that era. Mick and Keith have no say so, but they do receive the $$$
    However, this still plays right to my defense of Mick Jagger when people criticize him about "selling out" by licensing songs, remixing Exile, etc...all of those things that people consider pissing on a great legacy. I consider it to be Jagger remaining loyal to the image of the original presentation of The Rolling Stones. They were sardonic, cynical, contemptuous, and declared nothing was sacred. Not even their own legacy. All of that "decadents" and "agents of Satan" nonsense came later.
    Jagger has remained truer to that vision than has Richards. Keef is a sentimental romantic who indulges in self -mythologizing while Mick remains the realist he always was.

• @Zen210507 said:

@richardyot said:

Yeah, the greed element never ceases to disgust me. Sure, have a great life if your efforts bring financial rewards. But way too many very successful acts appear never to have heard of altruism.

Sure, but I think that "greed element" plays into the cynical pose first presented by The Rolling Stones when they first appeared in the public eye.
    See: My explanation to RichardY above for more.

• edited July 2017

@Cib said:
    I think it´s not easy for kids today. The world is broken more than ever.
    Sounds strange but i´m happy i´m no kid anymore (just in my mind lol).
    I just do wish i could have the health and power and time to learn more new things, start a new job i feel better with but would still have all the experience of life i have...even the bad things helped me sometimes.

My wife and I only have what she calls "fur babies", cats, no humanoid younglings, but her sister has 5 who've we've been very active Aunt & Uncle to. As @Cib said I do not envy this younger generation. As amazing as it is to have instant global communication & the entire history of mankind in your pocket there seems to be a tangible film, a gause, that technology has covered their eyes & minds with.

Human interaction, eyeball to eyeball, is difficult since most of the communications with peers is leet speak on their phones. Plus I dug the process of going to the library, finding the correct "InfoTrac" microfiche cartridge and scrolling through old music magazines, looking for stuff to grab me. I liked not being able to be reached 24/7! Shit, if you miss a text or call now people either give you hours of shit for it or start planning your funeral.

I knew some of my contemporaries in Gen-X were not the greatest conversationalists but try talking to an 11 year old today and see how long it takes till you give up. But those are just my experiences...what do I know. :neutral:

• @JeffChasteen said:
    Keef is a sentimental romantic who indulges in self -mythologizing while Mick remains the realist he always was.

I am reminded of my all time favourite rock quite, from a drugged up Keith in the late 70's. He and Mick were on Radio 1 (premiere British national radio station) with a chirpy chappie DJ called Paul Burnett, on his lunch-time show.

Burnett: "Keith, why did you call the album Some Girls?"

L-o-n-g pause...

Richards: "Uhhhhmmm. 'Cause we couldn't remember their fucking names!" B)

• I think this is why there is so much interest in analogue synths, vinyl records, tape saturation, wow and flutter, hipster barbers, or whatever.

There is a lot of ephemera, immediacy, short term interest in things, and when everything is available, but not owned (just licenced), people want solace in material artifacts, or the comfort of old sounds (even if they are digital simulcra). Its Boards of Canada territory.

I think people want craftsmanship, ownership and technique, in a world of mass produced loops.

Just my two cents, as an old man raging at the clouds.

• edited July 2017

@rhizome said:
    I think people want craftsmanship, ownership and technique, in a world of mass produced loops.

Good point.

I would add that there can be a huge difference between the mass produced - over produced - one size fits all EDM loops/ generic pop, and loops used with a few dollops of actual creativity, preferably including artiste originated samples and vocals to tell the story. Using modern tools in a craftsman-like way is the answer.

• Some nostalgia for us older folks. You can read the entire magazine by clicking on the links below the photo. I love the ads!

cyndustries.com/synapse/synapse.cfm?pc=51&folder=may1977&pic=0

-Scarlet Jerry

• edited July 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@rhizome said:

Good point.

I would add that there can be a huge difference between the mass produced - over produced - one size fits all EDM loops/ generic pop, and loops used with a few dollops of actual creativity, preferably including artiste originated samples and vocals to tell the story. Using modern tools in a craftsman-like way is the answer.

There's only one modern EDM artist I can think of offhand who actually gives a damn about craftsmanship using modern tools - KSHMR. Sometimes his productions sound a bit more "dialed in" when they're collabs with other artists facilitated by the record company (usually Spinnin Records). You can tell his creativity is a bit more squashed in those pieces. However, when KSHMR is left alone to indulge his own wiles or left to collaborate with an artist on his terms....

Right, lol. Compare that to....

• edited July 2017

For a genre I don't personally like, I must admit this seems very well done.

Except for your last example. ;) I've never 'got' these guys, especially why they walk around like they've just crapped themselves.

• edited July 2017

I was formulating a thoughtful response, but somebody mentioned Jackson Browne Lives in the Balance and I just gotta say In the Shape of a Heart is an awesome song. When that guy wasn't trying to sound too poetic, he had some GREAT material.

Somebody's Baby is the quintessential 80s song in my book

...my producer is cuing me to end this tangent

• @Zen210507 said:
    For a genre I don't personally like, I must admit this seems very well done.

Except for your last example. ;) I've never 'got' these guys, especially why they walk around like they've just crapped themselves.

:D LOL! Yeah, the last example, done by Tujamo, is an example of stereotypical EDM. The brass is fake and plastic, as if taken from a General MIDI module or something. Definitely not organic. It's repetitive without variation in the arrangement. Tujamo is kinda fun for a listen/laugh or two on Spotify, but it's not transcendental nor cinematic like KSHMR's work.

I used to like a lot of EDM, but a lot of it is just too repetitive these days. I do have some "guilty pleasure" tracks like these...

(Especially the second and third one with silly music videos.)

...but KSHMR takes the idea of EDM and pushes it with evolving arrangements (and instrumentation dare I say it), repeating the same notes for most instances, having some differences in both drops so the second doesn't just repeat what the first one did, using Melodyne to take vocal samples from sample packs and pitching them all around, and many other subtle things. KSHMR shows us what EDM could be. I don't mean make it all Bollywood styled stuff but rather studying his tracks, gleaning the methods he uses, and coming up with your own sound while keeping it 5 steps above the rest.

Either that, or just hire him to ghost produce your melodic idea. :D

• @oat_phipps A tangent to your tangent: One of the things I've always liked about Mister Browne is the fact that he apparently did/does work incredibly hard on his songs, word by word, phrase by phrase, over and over again, hours and hours. I find this inspiring and also strangely chastening. Too many of us (self) imagine we just need to capture lightning in its bottle rather than being prepared to do the hard yards....

• @oat_phipps said:
    I was formulating a thoughtful response, but somebody mentioned Jackson Browne Lives in the Balance and I just gotta say In the Shape of a Heart is an awesome song.

So many good songs from the almost Eagle.

The Load Out, The Pretender, Doctor My Eyes, Lives in the Balance, For A Dancer, and not forgetting Take It Easy. I bet he made a few dollars from that one.

• edited July 2017

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Either that, or just hire him to ghost produce your melodic idea. :D

Then it would sound like something he produced. One of the things I love about music making, is following the rule does it sound good to me? Din't get me wrong, I'm as influenced as anyone by all the staggeringly good sounds out there, but would never, for example, hire Mark Ronsen. Assuming money was no object. 'Cause everything I've ever heard from him, (or most 'top' producers these days), turns the material into the way he hears it. Thus losing something from the way the original was meant to sound by its makers. Couldn't stand that 'Uptown Funk' which sounded to me like someone trying to be KC and the Sunshine Band, and losing all authenticity.

For sure any number of talented studio techs could make what we do sound better, but with the right apps it's hard to be displeased with what we can do ourselves. Providing, of course, that our source material is up to scratch. ;)

It's made easier using the fantastic preset with Fab Filters to master a track. Obviously, someone who really knows what they are doing has already provided their skills, and it becomes a case of tweak to personal taste.