Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Kids today don't know what they've got!

I'm gonna make myself sound old now, but back when I first started making music (late 80's/90's) I would've killed to have all these iOS music making apps around. A professional sounding studio at your fingertips?!

We had to make do with live recordings onto a cassette recorder until we had saved enough to afford a 4 track Portastudio
Even a local demo studio cost a small fortune and you just had to hope that the resident engineer could be arsed to do a decent job.

I see a fair bit of bickering about stuff not working quite right and people getting arsey with each other, so all I'm saying is appreciate what you've got, it could be a whole lot harder!

Comments

• When my interest started to grow in stuff that make a beep it was quite primitive measured by todays 'standards'.
    What I learned was to not complain about the tools that were available but instead learn how to use them.

Todays tone is more like 'if it doesn't work like I want it to work it's crap' when most of the time the hard fact is that people don't want to spend time learning to use the tools they've got because it's easier to complain :D

• I think that's why there's quite a lot of older people on here -we can't believe our luck in running an MS20, Moog and ARP all together on something the size of a small book, so we gobble up each new thing.

Sometimes I just load up the iMS20 to look at it.

• I found that I was way more creative when using limited tools. Now that I have everything at my fingertips I just doodle here and there and never finish anything. But I do appreciate the tools I have today! I'm in my early 40s by the way

• @Sbee said:
    I found that I was way more creative when using limited tools. Now that I have everything at my fingertips I just doodle here and there and never finish anything. But I do appreciate the tools I have today! I'm in my early 40s by the way

I know exactly what you mean, you can have too much choice it seems!
    Instead of getting on with limited equipment and getting things done, there's this 'Ooh, a shiny new toy' mentality.
    There's no excuse really for not knuckling down and producing stuff.
    Most of the rest of it is bells and whistles.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Sometimes I just load up the iMS20 to look at it.

And I thought that was just me.

• @Samu said:
    When my interest started to grow in stuff that make a beep it was quite primitive measured by todays 'standards'.
    What I learned was to not complain about the tools that were available but instead learn how to use them.

In those days for me, in order to complain, I would have had to go to where the phone was plugged in or write a letter and walk to the post office. And if I wanted to find out about the latest thing...I would have to buy a magazine.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    In those days for me, in order to complain, I would have had to go to where the phone was plugged in or write a letter and walk to the post office. And if I wanted to find out about the latest thing...I would have to buy a magazine.

Bingo!
    My first ever 'Sample CD' was on the cover of FutureMusic... (I still have the CD)
    http://www.electronicbeats.net/the-feed/download-the-cd-that-launched-a-trove-of-rave-classics/

Those were the days...

• @Sbee said:
    I found that I was way more creative when using limited tools. Now that I have everything at my fingertips I just doodle here and there and never finish anything. But I do appreciate the tools I have today! I'm in my early 40s by the way

Good observation. I often try to convince myself to avoid "gee, whiz!" and get back to "let's bang this thing out".

• edited July 2017

I heard that people in the past even could live without the internet.....what?!?!? No way.
    There is anyway just one way......forwards :#
    I don't think about what i had not in the past.
    I want to know what people have in 50, 100, 1000 years :)

• @Cib said:
    I heard that people in the past even could live without the internet.....what?!?!? No way.
    There is anyway just one way......forwards :#
    I don't think about what i had not in the past.
    I want to know what people have in 50, 100, 1000 years :)

Apparently they live underwater and they're going out with your great, great, great granddaughter!

• edited July 2017

@Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Bingo!
    My first ever 'Sample CD' was on the cover of FutureMusic... (I still have the CD)
    http://www.electronicbeats.net/the-feed/download-the-cd-that-launched-a-trove-of-rave-classics/

Those were the days...

CD's? You youngsters - I had to tape detuned shortwave radio frequencies onto cassette for entertainment when I were a lad...

• edited July 2017

Msx, ballad for windows and blaster master with FT1.

I can do most than I need with just blocswave.

Show your credentials :sunglasses:

• @Sbee said:

True that! Limitations spark creativity.

I started up with a Yamaha SY-85 in 1992 and got more gear after that only to find out that it was not the gear that was important but how one used them... (I was a total nightmare to Yamaha tech support asking for floppy file-formats and sample headers etc. so I could save my own calculated samples to floppies and make the SY-85 read them. Those good old Amiga days with Music-X from cover-floppy on Amiga Format Magazine).

But even today Trackers are very dear to me but they are way more advanced than in the early days :)

• @MonzoPro said:

@Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Bingo!

Those were the days...

CD's? You youngsters - I had to tape detuned shortwave radio frequencies onto cassette for entertainment when I were a lad...

We had a matchbox for a drum kit and it was all used matches!

• @Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Bingo!

Those were the days...

Wow, that brings back memories! I used to love the FM CDs; lots of sample fodder for MED (and, later, OctaMED) on my Amiga.

• My 1st rig was a DX100, RX17 & a boom box when I was 16 yrs old. LOL
    My maxed out rig, when I was 21, was an EPS, D50, DR550, DSP128 & MMT8(all of which easily fits on my phone today) with still no way to track, edit and mix like we take for granted today.
    It's because of this background I'm comfortable limiting myself. That, and I listen to a lot of Wax Trax productions done in the 80's and am reminded about the virtues of limitations.

• @DefRobot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Bingo!

Those were the days...

We had a matchbox for a drum kit and it was all used matches!

:smiley:

• @Samu said:
    When my interest started to grow in stuff that make a beep it was quite primitive measured by todays 'standards'.

Todays tone is more like 'if it doesn't work like I want it to work it's crap' when most of the time the hard fact is that people don't want to spend time learning to use the tools they've got because it's easier to complain :D

+1 billion!! :D

• It's one of the few good things that come with age: you start to appreciate things.

I'm also in my early 40s and I can honestly that I really enjoy all of today's possibilities because we know what it was without them.

• edited July 2017

@ExAsperis99 said:

"I tied a onion on my belt, because that was the style in those days."

• oh, and get off my lawn.

• Nothing against progression, but I stopped running after the newest shit all the time a while ago and started making music. It's great! ;)

• Of course I do, but not as much as years ago. Beatmaker 3 was my first new app in almost a year.
    But I have to admit the desktop computer is my main production environment, iPad is just for playing around and new ideas.

• edited July 2017

@5pinlink said:
    Appreciate what you have, it will be a whole lot better in a few months ;)

There is nothing wrong with progression, and people who are happy with what they have, do not progress anything ;)

You confuse progression with innovation. I can progress a lot more with an old 4 tracks than the last tool still not bugfixed released lol
    You can be innovative with both or nothing (just your imagination) and being a statue with all the tools of the world includding a delorean :smirk:

The key is take profit of the present moment. Present is the best gift we have to do things or waste our entire life. :wink:

• Kids today. Where to start.

I got three of em at home (about to lose one to college in a month). And for whatever reason, my house is often full to bursting with their compadres, so i get a good look at a decent cross-section, maybe even a statistically significant sample size of whatever we're calling their generation.

These kids grew up with the internet and social media. It affects the way they think, the way they look at the world.

Our generation revered recording. We looked at it as permanent, lasting. Our kids don't see it that way at all. And why should they. They stream the stuff they want to hear, obsess over it for a couple weeks tops, then it's on to something else. Recordings are ephemeral, fungible. Not valueless, but not respected. They're easy enough to make and publish, if that's what you wanna do- some of their friends do it, no biggie.

And tools? They are not impressed by apps that emulate something that looks/sounds like the original was made 30-40 years ago ("ok dad, i get it, it sounds like the music in Stranger Things. can i go now?") Give em a game that's really fun to play, tho, and they'll rave about it. Until the next one comes along in a couple weeks, anyhow.

But they like to express themselves. They are just as creative as we were. If they got something to get out, it's gonna get out- but even the musical ones are not flocking to join bands, make recordings, etc. even tho they got killer tools to work with and then some. Social media is a major outlet, and- what I think few of us realize- social gatherings are another (they travel in packs, these kids, and say/do some interesting stuff in their mini-tribes when they don't think the olds are watching).

Brave new world. Who's to say they're missing out or have it wrong? Even tho I don't "get" a lot of their ways, they give me a good feeling about the future. Different topic, I guess, but they seem to look out for each other and their world a lot more than we did.

The kids are alright.

• I work as a teacher and I think the kids know exactly what they've got. For the most part kids want to get a very quick return on their efforts and thus the quality suffers. Show them something that was crafted and unpack it and explain it to them they are in awe.

The kids are certainly alright :)

• @RulesOfBlazon said:
    Kids today. Where to start.

I got three of em at home (about to lose one to college in a month). And for whatever reason, my house is often full to bursting with their compadres, so i get a good look at a decent cross-section, maybe even a statistically significant sample size of whatever we're calling their generation.

These kids grew up with the internet and social media. It affects the way they think, the way they look at the world.

Our generation revered recording. We looked at it as permanent, lasting. Our kids don't see it that way at all. And why should they. They stream the stuff they want to hear, obsess over it for a couple weeks tops, then it's on to something else. Recordings are ephemeral, fungible. Not valueless, but not respected. They're easy enough to make and publish, if that's what you wanna do- some of their friends do it, no biggie.

And tools? They are not impressed by apps that emulate something that looks/sounds like the original was made 30-40 years ago ("ok dad, i get it, it sounds like the music in Stranger Things. can i go now?") Give em a game that's really fun to play, tho, and they'll rave about it. Until the next one comes along in a couple weeks, anyhow.

But they like to express themselves. They are just as creative as we were. If they got something to get out, it's gonna get out- but even the musical ones are not flocking to join bands, make recordings, etc. even tho they got killer tools to work with and then some. Social media is a major outlet, and- what I think few of us realize- social gatherings are another (they travel in packs, these kids, and say/do some interesting stuff in their mini-tribes when they don't think the olds are watching).

Brave new world. Who's to say they're missing out or have it wrong? Even tho I don't "get" a lot of their ways, they give me a good feeling about the future. Different topic, I guess, but they seem to look out for each other and their world a lot more than we did.

The kids are alright.

The young people I know today seem to 'have their shit together' in a lot of ways more than the youngins of my generation. While the ratios of creative/ambitious to passive worker bee or slacker seems about the same, the level of common sense seems a lot higher.

• @Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Bingo!

Those were the days...

Me too @Samu.