Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's the best piano roll on an iOS app?

Comments

• edited June 2017

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I think I'm the only one that will say this but I LOVE Modstep's pianoroll/step sequencer hybrid. It's hard as hell to get into but I honestly can't use most other piano roll at this point.

This

Modstep is easily the best piano roll on iOS, much better than Gadget

Having used gadget, cubasis, Auria pro, infinite looper, auxy and Krft I have to agree. Sad part is most will scoff that it isn't.

Their loss but yea, Modstep definitely doesn't get the recognition it deserves for it's piano roll. Sure, there is a learning curve that's probably steeper than most but the pay off is more than worth it

Have to agree that ModStep is definitely my go to......nothing else will do this......tool for midi sequencing......play at half/double speed is one example...along with the xy pads for cc's

I'd like a transpose to incoming midi note feature though

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@syrupcore said:
    Would like to know what it is about the modstep piano roll folks who love it, love so much about it. I like the note folding a lot but the actual interactions with notes leaves me wanting. Learn me please!

For me it's the note editing that sets it apart. Copying and pasting, both within the same pattern or between them is so fast and smooth. Same goes for transposing

Those 2 buttons are the key for me. I recommend experimenting with the edit and tranpose functions to get a feel for it

exactly what i was about to mention. the transpose respects the global key. so lets say you draw a rhythmic sequence in 1 bar. you can duplicate that bar 3 more times using the copy tool in the edit menu. and then transpose each bar up or down as much as you want. instant melody while keeping the rhythm you programmed. its fantastic for quickly drawing basslines and even complex melodies.

made a quick video showing this:-

Very nice video that show exactly what i love about it :)

i'll probably shoot a video showing how to use the step sequencer along with copy and transpose to make interesting rhythmic melodies when i can :)

That same method can be used to make chord progressions too ;)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@syrupcore said:
    Would like to know what it is about the modstep piano roll folks who love it, love so much about it. I like the note folding a lot but the actual interactions with notes leaves me wanting. Learn me please!

For me it's the note editing that sets it apart. Copying and pasting, both within the same pattern or between them is so fast and smooth. Same goes for transposing

Those 2 buttons are the key for me. I recommend experimenting with the edit and tranpose functions to get a feel for it

exactly what i was about to mention. the transpose respects the global key. so lets say you draw a rhythmic sequence in 1 bar. you can duplicate that bar 3 more times using the copy tool in the edit menu. and then transpose each bar up or down as much as you want. instant melody while keeping the rhythm you programmed. its fantastic for quickly drawing basslines and even complex melodies.

i'll probably shoot a video showing how to use the step sequencer along with copy and transpose to make interesting rhythmic melodies when i can :)

Would very much like to see that.

only thing stopping me is when i use airplay mirroring to record video the latency completely messes up live play. will just have to try and make it as un-sloppy as i can :/> @AndyPlankton said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I think I'm the only one that will say this but I LOVE Modstep's pianoroll/step sequencer hybrid. It's hard as hell to get into but I honestly can't use most other piano roll at this point.

This

Having used gadget, cubasis, Auria pro, infinite looper, auxy and Krft I have to agree. Sad part is most will scoff that it isn't.

Their loss but yea, Modstep definitely doesn't get the recognition it deserves for it's piano roll. Sure, there is a learning curve that's probably steeper than most but the pay off is more than worth it

Have to agree that ModStep is definitely my go to......nothing else will do this......tool for midi sequencing......play at half/double speed is one example...along with the xy pads for cc's

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@syrupcore said:

There is stuff i cannot show yet DX
    With Ab3 midi now working in the modstep beta there is some seriously interesting things you can do. I'll have to wait till public release to show those tricks :/

• edited June 2017

@syrupcore said:

For me it's not the piano roll itself, as in the grid, the grid can be a bit awkward at times .....it is all the functions you have

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@syrupcore said:

only thing stopping me is when i use airplay mirroring to record video the latency completely messes up live play. will just have to try and make it as un-sloppy as i can :/> @AndyPlankton said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

This

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@syrupcore said:

With Ab3 midi now working in the modstep beta there is some seriously interesting things you can do. I'll have to wait till public release to show those tricks :/

If you connect your ipad through usb you can use quicktime on your mac to record live play. Should have far less latency

• @jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@syrupcore said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

This

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@syrupcore said:

If you connect your ipad through usb you can use quicktime on your mac to record live play. Should have far less latency

sadly i'm on windows. so airplay is the best i can do :/

• edited June 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@syrupcore said:

Good stuff. Thanks for the screenshot and for making the video!

That ModStep respects the key/scale when transposing is very very cool. Otherwise, seems positively laborious compared to NS. Selecting, copying and repitching notes in the Nanostudio sequencer is just really really really fast/fluid.

The other thing that's super cool about modstep in the piano roll area, and really it's one of the reasons I use and enjoy it, is the ability to turn non-consecutive patterns on and off. It's much more powerful than simply adjusting loop points (which is all NS can do). Same thing with the clock dividers. Love them! Indeed, mixing the two can make for some interesting melodies — sparse notes in each pattern, several patterns, ramp up the clock and then toggle patterns on an off. Really powerful stuff but not actually about the piano roll interaction itself though.

• edited June 2017

Made a quick demonstration of how i usually sketch a chord progression in Modstep

Please note that i deliberately slowed down in order to make the process easier to see. You can go a lot faster once you're familiar with the edit controls

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67024770/Modstep.mp4

• @jn2002dk said:
    Made a quick demonstration of how i usually sketch a chord progression in Modstep

Please note that i deliberately slowed down in order to make the process easier to see. You can go a lot faster once you're familiar with the edit controls

Very nice - thanks for sharing! Certainly brings some fresh ideas to the table!

• @Alex fox said:

@jn2002dk said:

My pleasure :)

I made another version with some text to explain what's going on. Sorry if something is not clear, i don't really do video editing at all

@syrupcore said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@syrupcore said:

That ModStep respects the key/scale when transposing is very very cool. Otherwise, seems positively laborious compared to NS. Selecting, copying and repitching notes in the Nanostudio sequencer is just really really really fast/fluid.

The other thing that's super cool about modstep in the piano roll area, and really it's one of the reasons I use and enjoy it, is the ability to turn non-consecutive patterns on and off. It's much more powerful than simply adjusting loop points (which is all NS can do). Same thing with the clock dividers. Love them! Indeed, mixing the two can make for some interesting melodies — sparse notes in each pattern, several patterns, ramp up the clock and then toggle patterns on an off. Really powerful stuff but not actually about the piano roll interaction itself though.

I don't think it's more laborious than NS. It's just not as intuitive but i find it faster now that i've gotten the hang of it

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67024770/Modstepv2.mp4

• edited June 2017

@jn2002dk said:

@Alex fox said:

@jn2002dk said:

My pleasure :)

I made another version with some text to explain what's going on. Sorry if something is not clear, i don't really do video editing at all

@syrupcore said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@syrupcore said:

I don't think it's more laborious than NS. It's just not as intuitive but i find it faster now that i've gotten the hang of it

you might find my new video interesting.
    It shows off the new Ab3 midi implementation and a trick you can do thanks to it.
    You can ask me any questions on the thread :) https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19418/modstep-tutorial-midi-chopping-with-modstep-and-ab3-starring-ripplemaker?new=1

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

you might find my new video interesting.
    It shows off the new Ab3 midi implementation and a trick you can do thanks to it.
    You can ask me any questions on the thread :) https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19418/modstep-tutorial-midi-chopping-with-modstep-and-ab3-starring-ripplemaker?new=1

Wonderful work, gents. Thank you. That AB3 business is sweet.

Perhaps splitting hairs here but I think these examples show how Modstep is maybe the best midi sequencer on iOS but that's still different than the best piano roll on iOS.

I definitely get from watching these that 'speed' is a relative term and I prolly just need to get more used to the mS way of doing things in order to see any sort of increased fluidity on my own part.

• So, refresher: has new apps like BM3 or Xequence stirred up the list somewhat, or is it still as per outlined in this thread?

• @jn2002dk said:

It's goneeeee

:o

• @tja said:

@jn2002dk said:

It's goneeeee

Strange. Dropbox must have changed something

Try this
    https://dropbox.com/s/ogqgw57kwksgvfy/Modstepv2.mp4?dl=0

• @hellquist said:
    So, refresher: has new apps like BM3 or Xequence stirred up the list somewhat, or is it still as per outlined in this thread?

IMO BM3, while good, doesn't quite get up there in terms of ease of use. It still has a bit of a learning curve and it's not as fast once you get it. It's not bad by any means though. Xequencer is up there

• @jn2002dk said:

@tja said:

@jn2002dk said:

It's goneeeee

Try this

Thank you!!!

You may have interest in https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/13557/modstep-chordpolypad-and-steppolyarp-tutorial-animoog example

Esp. from https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/404577/#Comment_404577 on, where I uploaded an AudioBus profile for this.

In short:

You can just program a Chord progression (not the Chords themselves) into modstep (or Cubasis) and then use ChordPolyPad as a programmable Chord generator - You can record back the finished chords in modstep.

So, you can easily program and change chords - it realy is a fascinating method.
    The profile also allows to further modify the Chords from ChordPolyPad with StepPolyArp for countless additional effects.

I would make a video, but am on iOS 10 - no idea how to do this.

• edited October 2017

@tja said:

@jn2002dk said:

@tja said:

@jn2002dk said:

It's goneeeee

Try this

Thank you!!!

You may have interest in https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/13557/modstep-chordpolypad-and-steppolyarp-tutorial-animoog example

Esp. from https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/404577/#Comment_404577 on, where I uploaded an AudioBus profile for this.

In short:

You can just program a Chord progression (not the Chords themselves) into modstep (or Cubasis) and then use ChordPolyPad as a programmable Chord generator - You can record back the finished chords in modstep.

So, you can easily program and change chords - it realy is a fascinating method.
    The profile also allows to further modify the Chords from ChordPolyPad with StepPolyArp for countless additional effects.

I would make a video, but am on iOS 10 - no idea how to do this.

No problem

Yea, i've done this with Cubasis. It's a really fast way to get going. Another fun way is to use Fugue Machine for the progression/chord rythm as AB3 midi input, then CPP and SPA in the midi effect slot and record to Cubasis. For extra fun time, you can add the Midiflow effects as well

As for recording on iOS 10, i used quicktime on my mac. Not sure if it's possible without a mac though

• I was ready to purchase Auxy, which I though was $7.99. When I went to buy, it was subscription - $45 per year. I refuse to pay rent for iPad apps.

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    I was ready to purchase Auxy, which I though was $7.99. When I went to buy, it was subscription - $45 per year. I refuse to pay rent for iPad apps.

Yeah. Auxy was fun... subscription is not an option for me. But i really like ATOM, Nanostudio 2 and Xequence 2 piano roll editors 👍🏼

• edited October 2019

Yeah. Auxy was fun... subscription is not an option for me. But i really like ATOM, Nanostudio 2 and Xequence 2 piano roll editors 👍🏼

Do any piano rolls have a feature that lets the notes make sound when scrolling? Garageband would work for my application, but moving the vertical line does not make the notes make sound. Tapping them does, but then the cut copy paste stuff shows up. Thanks!

Or when using an arrow key? So I can go back and forth between the notes and hear them as I do this.

I refuse to pay subscription "rent" for ANY app!

• Nanostudio 2 definitely lets you hear the notes as you move them around

• @Skyscrapersax yes, Xequence's pianoroll editor will preview the new pitch(es) of notes during transposition (vertical movement), and also when selecting or drawing them.

• @SevenSystems said:
    @Skyscrapersax yes, Xequence's pianoroll editor will preview the new pitch(es) of notes during transposition (vertical movement), and also when selecting or drawing them.

I need to hear the sound of the pitch when hovering over it, not when changing it. This is to imprint melodies in my brain. Do any of the do that? Abelton does on my computer.

• @LeeB said:
    Nanostudio 2 definitely lets you hear the notes as you move them around

What about when hovering over them with the vertical line?

• I emailed ATOM on this question. I'll post their response here....

• NS2 piano roll is by far my favorite.

• edited October 2019

@peanut_gallery said:
    NS2 piano roll is by far my favorite.

For my very limited purpose, Garage Band would work fine (and I really like the big interface). I'm 61.5 with eyeballs to match. Lots of these apps are dark city and I can't see them very well. But Garage Band does not sound the sound when moving the vertical line back and forth over the notes, which is the feature I need. Does NS2 (nanostudio 2?) do this? BTW, I'd prefer JUST a piano roll, without all the other crap. This is for a very specific purpose.

ALSO, do you mean "N Track 9 Studio"? I have it, it is free, but useless without a subscription, which is a rule out for me. Or do you mean something else? That's all that pops up on the app store when I input "nano studio." Thanks.

• @Skyscrapersax said:

@peanut_gallery said:

For my very limited purpose, Garage Band would work fine (and I really like the big interface). I'm 61.5 with eyeballs to match. Lots of these apps are dark city and I can't see them very well. But Garage Band does not sound the sound when moving the vertical line back and forth over the notes, which is the feature I need. Does NS2 (nanostudio 2?) do this? BTW, I'd prefer JUST a piano roll, without all the other crap. This is for a very specific purpose.

Ah, you mean something like timeline scrubbing. I'm not sure of any apps that do that. I just hit stop and start a lot. :)

• @syrupcore said:

@Skyscrapersax said:

@peanut_gallery said:

Ah, you mean something like timeline scrubbing. I'm not sure of any apps that do that. I just hit stop and start a lot. :)

Yeah, that's one way to put it. Abelton does this on my laptop. I want to do it on iPad. I need to go back and forth at will, so start and stop will not work. Garage Band is actually perfect, except there is no sound when physically moving the vertical line to the left and right. I wonder if there is a workaround that will make it do this?

• @AndyPlankton said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

does Modstep permit scrubbing that makes the notes sound? Back and forth, left to right, moving the vertical line or using arrow keys on a keyboard? Abelton does this; I'm looking for an iPad app that does. Thanks....