Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's the best piano roll on an iOS app?

Comments

• tjatja
    edited June 2017

I have KRFT and played around with it, but did not notice a step sequencer :-)))

I am not such a live / performance guy, but it seems I need to check KRFT again ;-)

I need a good editor for MIDI, and used Auxy mostly for that.

• @eddielovesyou said:
    Can I just say how awesome it is that you made this thread? KRFT is quickly becoming the center of what I do on iOS, and it's fantastic that you are so dedicated to making efficient incremental improvements.

That's great - glad you're enjoying it.

It makes sense to ask the people who are using iOS music apps, we could try and just guess but that doesn't always work :wink:

• @tja said:
    I have KRFT and played around with it, but did not notice a step sequencer :-)))

I am not such a live / performance guy, but it seems I need to check KRFT again ;-)

I need a good editor for MIDI, and used Auxy mostly for that.

Indeed there is a piano roll =>

• Does timeline recording/an editor appear in your future plans @Alex fox ?

• @Jocphone said:
    Does timeline recording/an editor appear in your future plans @Alex fox ?

What do you mean exactly?

• @Alex fox said:

@Jocphone said:

Recording the widget presses, interactions on a timeline then having the ability to change them afterwards.
    A sequencer for all the widgets if you will.

• @Jocphone said:

@Alex fox said:

@Jocphone said:

Recording the widget presses, interactions on a timeline then having the ability to change them afterwards.

Yes, it's on the list. I think we will record all the notes/values instead of the "interactions" but you'll essentially get the same outcome.

• @Alex fox said:

@Jocphone said:

@Alex fox said:

@Jocphone said:

Yes, it's on the list. I think we will record all the notes/values instead of the "interactions" but you'll essentially get the same outcome.

You could already record the notes now via MIDI out. Recording the button pushes and dial scrobblings means that you could edit them to achieve different effects. The timeline in SnnVxx works in a similar fashion and affords great flexibility in shaping the music. Of course it's your choice but I think the ability to record the button pushes and such is much more compatible any widgets you might add but also say the effect where you can alter the BPM of the song. Being able to move that interaction around in time is a lot different than if you only record the notes.

• @Jocphone said:

@Alex fox said:

@Jocphone said:

@Alex fox said:

@Jocphone said:

You could already record the notes now via MIDI out. Recording the button pushes and dial scrobblings means that you could edit them to achieve different effects. The timeline in SnnVxx works in a similar fashion and affords great flexibility in shaping the music. Of course it's your choice but I think the ability to record the button pushes and such is much more compatible any widgets you might add but also say the effect where you can alter the BPM of the song. Being able to move that interaction around in time is a lot different than if you only record the notes.

Well you'd still record the button presses, and the dial movements. I just meant the UI wouldn't re-animate when you play back the recording.

• NanoStudio. Gadget is awful

• +1 for keeping the velocity change method the same. That one is brilliant.

• On phone, I've always loved NanoStudio's piano roll, with BM2 next (and it always seemed to me that BM2 took cues from NS in how it changed from BM, but that may be just me.)

Still trying to get used to Gadget. ;)

• edited June 2017

@wim said:
    +1 for keeping the velocity change method the same. That one is brilliant.

The only things I find myself wanting to do in KRFT are selecting multiple notes, moving them, and copy/pasting. If I were being really choosy, I wouldn't mind velocity drawing features for when I want to do a "batch" velocity tweak rather than note by note.

I honestly think there is as much value in a keyboard object to play live on a surface as refinements to the piano roll. KRFT's magic is the ability to play my composition.

• +1 for tone auditioning before adding events.

• @Alex fox said:

@Jocphone said:

@Alex fox said:

@Jocphone said:

@Alex fox said:

@Jocphone said:

Well you'd still record the button presses, and the dial movements. I just meant the UI wouldn't re-animate when you play back the recording.

sounds good, especially if you edit those interactions. Some of us work in the ponderous camp rather than the button mashing but nice to have both.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@wim said:

The only things I find myself wanting to do in KRFT are selecting multiple notes, moving them, and copy/pasting. If I were being really choosy, I wouldn't mind velocity drawing features for when I want to do a "batch" velocity tweak rather than note by note.

I honestly think there is as much value in a keyboard object to play live on a surface as refinements to the piano roll. KRFT's magic is the ability to play my composition.

Please make copy / paste global so that you can copy from one loop's piano roll into another. :)

• I've always liked (and I think it's a good fit for an idea-inspiring app like this) the availability of MIDI transformations like 2x length, 1/2 length, invert, reverse, etc. See Ableton.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@wim said:

A think a first step for a keyboard component is the ability to explode a timeline by notes or time integer into new cells. Then you could easily make a keyboard from fill cells.

• @eddielovesyou said:
    I've always liked (and I think it's a good fit for an idea-inspiring app like this) the availability of MIDI transformations like 2x length, 1/2 length, invert, reverse, etc. See Ableton.

Yeah was considering putting some in!

• @wim said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@wim said:

Please make copy / paste global so that you can copy from one loop's piano roll into another. :)

Not a bad idea, tho you could just clone the loop :)

• Maybe I already have a loop and I just want to add a riff to it from another loop. No biggie. ;)

• Just in case, I like to modify series of loops which can the be combined in differing sequences - like this (normally linked to Cubasis or Gadget Synths):

Is this possible with KRFT or will be possible?
    :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

• @Alex fox said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@wim said:

A think a first step for a keyboard component is the ability to explode a timeline by notes or time integer into new cells. Then you could easily make a keyboard from fill cells.

I like it! That would work for me for 95% of my uses.

• @tja said:
    Just in case, I like to modify series of loops which can the be combined in differing sequences - like this (normally linked to Cubasis or Gadget Synths):

Is this possible with KRFT or will be possible?
    :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

this is already possible in modstep btw. an app you already own i think.

• @LeeB said:
    Nanostudio by a country mile, but it won't be around for much longer unless you're on an older 32but device.

YES - brilliant pianoroll. Can't remember if you can turn off the grid for fine positioning, but it solved the issue of your own fingers getting in the way. Which is why BM2 was so, er, obviously 'inspired' by it ;)

• @iansainsbury said:

@LeeB said:
    Nanostudio by a country mile, but it won't be around for much longer unless you're on an older 32but device.

YES - brilliant pianoroll. Can't remember if you can turn off the grid for fine positioning, but it solved the issue of your own fingers getting in the way. Which is why BM2 was so, er, obviously 'inspired' by it ;)

Yes, you can turn the snap off.

• NanoStudio, by far, as multiple people have already mentioned.

One really cool feature from elsewhere, though: I love how in MTS you can choose to split a note into a set of shorter notes (e.g. select a quarter note and split it into triplets).

• @skiphunt said:

@Samu said:
    When it comes to sheer number of editing features Yamaha MMS hands down but that's just me.
    And from what I've seen of the Audio Evolution Mobile it's pretty fully featured and has good selection tools.

I kinda like Cubasis after the latest update and Gadget is up there on the top as well.

Garageband is quite good back currently lacks any form of controller editing, if it gets something controller editing similar to LogicPro X it will be one of the best out there!

I also enjoy using the sequencer/editor in BM2!

ModSTEP is good too after one gets used to it :)

+1 for Modstep. I avoided that one for the longest time because so many seemed imply the learning curve was too steep. Once I spent a little time with it... most of the app fell into place nicely. Definitely one of my top 3.

Have to disagree with modstep. I've gotten used to it but imo you shouldn't have to struggle to get used to something as simple as a piano roll. For instance, I hate how you have to zoom and scroll with scroll bars when intuitively I want to pinch and zoom. GarageBand and Cubasis are far superior. Modstep is deep, especially with its automation of midi cc parameters, but the piano roll itself is inferior to GB and Cubasis as far as the interface is concerned. Just my .02

• @8BitSamurai said:

Have to disagree with modstep. I've gotten used to it but imo you shouldn't have to struggle to get used to something as simple as a piano roll. For instance, I hate how you have to zoom and scroll with scroll bars when intuitively I want to pinch and zoom. GarageBand and Cubasis are far superior. Modstep is deep, especially with its automation of midi cc parameters, but the piano roll itself is inferior to GB and Cubasis as far as the interface is concerned. Just my .02

I agree here, the 'zoom' in ModStep is driving me nuts!!!
    Some of the 'tools' also feel 'counter-intuitive'.

If/When iOS Garageband gets 'Automation Editing' it will be quite awesome!
    (You can already automate all the built-in instruments/synths but no way to edit the data).

Considering Apple showed an updated version of Garageband at WWDC'17 (with support for scalable AUv3's) I cab only do an educated guess that It will include automation editing as well.

I mean Apple really 'needs' to provide developers a fully featured 'Test Bench' for AUv3's...

• @8BitSamurai said:

@skiphunt said:

@Samu said:
    When it comes to sheer number of editing features Yamaha MMS hands down but that's just me.
    And from what I've seen of the Audio Evolution Mobile it's pretty fully featured and has good selection tools.

I kinda like Cubasis after the latest update and Gadget is up there on the top as well.

Garageband is quite good back currently lacks any form of controller editing, if it gets something controller editing similar to LogicPro X it will be one of the best out there!

I also enjoy using the sequencer/editor in BM2!

ModSTEP is good too after one gets used to it :)

+1 for Modstep. I avoided that one for the longest time because so many seemed imply the learning curve was too steep. Once I spent a little time with it... most of the app fell into place nicely. Definitely one of my top 3.

I should've qualified my opinion somewhat. If I can get in there, figure out how it works without too much work, then have a little bit of control of the editing, without too much futzing around... then it's a good piano roll for me. That doesn't really get into how will it's actually implemented, or the degree of control you have. It just means it's easier to pick up.

I don't have Gadget or Cubasis so I can't compare. I like Auria Pro's piano roll, but it's a bit too fidgety for me. I like the other's I mentioned more in actual use. Still, my favorite is still the piano roll in KRFT. For automation, it's Modstep.