Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BeepStreet Zeeon Synth in BM3

Comments

• @Proto said:

@Max23 said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    For those who haven't heard the Beepstreet samples, the filters on this synth are AMAZING!!!

They are. Nothing like you heard on iOS before.
    Say goodbye to your old analog hardware, here goes iOS.

Sure and next week we have another new killer synth that kills all the others. Started with Layr,
    Moods, DRC and now this one. I wish I could believe you. :)

What is this moods/ MOOD synth I keep hearing about..AppStore search reveals nothing

• @Love3quency said:

@Proto said:

@Max23 said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    For those who haven't heard the Beepstreet samples, the filters on this synth are AMAZING!!!

Sure and next week we have another new killer synth that kills all the others. Started with Layr,

What is this moods/ MOOD synth I keep hearing about..AppStore search reveals nothing

Not released yet. Some here are beta testing Moods and are very enthusiastic about it. It's made by apesoft and should be released somewhere in June.

• @Samu said:

@hansjbs said:

@Samu said:
    I do wonder how many instances my Air 2 can handle?

This Zeeon does 4x over sampling, Poison-202 does 2x oversampling but is still pretty easy on the CPU so it looks promising.

Add to this ApeSofts upcoming Mood and we're starting to have a pretty nice collection of AUv3 enabled synths :)
    And well, BM3 is a quite neat host for them too...

How much longer for BM3. The wait is killing me.

Hopefully before WWDC'17 :)
    I do expect a few more weekly betas to smooth things out...

@Samu said:

@hansjbs said:

@Samu said:

This Zeeon does 4x over sampling, Poison-202 does 2x oversampling but is still pretty easy on the CPU so it looks promising.

Add to this ApeSofts upcoming Mood and we're starting to have a pretty nice collection of AUv3 enabled synths :)

How many betas you guys get a week on average? There was a time I used to get 2-3 a week for beathawk

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@hansjbs said:

@Samu said:

Hope you have nine lives.

Lmao. Unfortunately I don't

• That short demo of zeeon does sound really nice, it reminds me of the parva hardware synth

• @Proto said:

@Love3quency said:

@Proto said:

@Max23 said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Not released yet. Some here are beta testing Moods and are very enthusiastic about it. It's made by apesoft and should be released somewhere in June.

Ok thanks

Ape soft are great, will it be auv3?

• @supadom said:

@5pinlink said:
    Oh OK, so it is just this weeks shiny shiny then, not sure i will be saying goodbye to my old analogue hardware any time soon because of this.

Even IOS synths start having sentimental value, see Alchemy.

To me the moment they start sounding the same is the moment I don't miss the old thing anymore even if the tactile and the visual play their important part. You get the portability, patch recall etc.

Progressive vs sentimental? Probably not ;)

Something to consider. Good post.

• @Love3quency said:

@Proto said:

@Love3quency said:

@Proto said:

@Max23 said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Ok thanks

Ape soft are great, will it be auv3?

I hope so and think it will be, but reading the other (beta test) thread it's still on the to-do list. I'm gonna buy it anyway :)

• edited May 2017

The analog vs plugin gets weirder and weirder for me, because it is kinda inevitable that the gap gets smaller and smaller over time. With some new apps you kinda think "this is it", or "software has arrived", but then you hear a nice analog and be reminded that we are just not here yet.

Filter demo at 12 minute mark...

• edited May 2017

Another analog vs software filter comparison.
    Free Audulus Code Contest! Can you tell the analog filter from the digital one?
    Filter A vs. Filter B - which is the digital filter made in Audulus and which is the STG Soundlabs Mankato analog Eurorack filter?
    One of the people who get it right will get a free Audulus 3 code and a free upgrade to Audulus 4 whenever it drops.

Download this filter, as well as the modeled Korg 35 and SEM-style filters on the Audulus forum - created by Audulus user SansNom
    http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/1309/moog-zero-delay-feedback-ladder-filters-korg-friends#Item_64

• It is very hard to describe. I find myself pretty impressed by some filter emulations, but get reminded what i was missing hearing a filter like the Novation. Pre-filter drive accentuates the difference, distortion/drive is still far from up to par compared to the analog world.

Still, apps are getting better and better at it, and there will be a day where you just can't tell the difference anymore, or you simply don't care. But, one will always be biased due to sentimental reasons...

• @hexagonsun83 said:
    It is very hard to describe. I find myself pretty impressed by some filter emulations, but get reminded what i was missing hearing a filter like the Novation. Pre-filter drive accentuates the difference, distortion/drive is still far from up to par compared to the analog world.

Still, apps are getting better and better at it, and there will be a day where you just can't tell the difference anymore, or you simply don't care. But, one will always be biased due to sentimental reasons...

I still find myself going back to a 20 year old vst reverb all the time.

• The demos are good, no doubt. The delay and a nice reverb are half of making it sound good. The synth itself doesn't sound too unique to some of the other great iOS synths in my opinion.

The real news to me is having a Beepstreet synth that is AUv3. I will be very interested in this one.

• @Hmtx said:
    The demos are good, no doubt. The delay and a nice reverb are half of making it sound good. The synth itself doesn't sound too unique to some of the other great iOS synths in my opinion.

The real news to me is having a Beepstreet synth that is AUv3. I will be very interested in this one.

This is my official position also :)

• We have some great synths out there which are based on analog component modeling (P900, Repro-1 and soon Repro-5 are the top end for me at the moment) but i also find it not really so euphoric these days.
    I would rather see new grounds in physical modeling. Still nothing beats Sculpture and this is damn old.
    However, Zeeon looks great and seems to sound good too.
    2 layers? Does that mean 4 VCO´s per patch? The modulation matrix looks good. The demos doesn´t show much yet but i´m not sure about Beepstreet these days. Lot of promising and not good support at all (no answers, no updated manual, missing features in AU/VST, no iPhone support for the latest and greatest....)
    There are already good analog sounding synths on iOS like Model 15, DRC, ArpOdyssei and some others.
    Like it was mentioned here already....it´s G.A.S.

• @5pinlink said:
    2017 and people still don't understand the very nature of their own GAS !!
    Analogue does not and has not ever, sounded better than digital, it just sounds different.
    Analogue modelled when tested against the thing it was modelled against might not sound the same, but neither would two of the same thing it was modelled against.
    Stop thinking in terms of which sounds better, which sounds good and offers the features you want, personally i still find a lot of physical controls trumps total recall, but i have zero issues with creating a sound and then either multi sampling it or recording it on the final DAW project, so total recall is still there.

You could apply this line of arguing to anything really. Of course Audio/Music is a highly subjective matter, hence all the fun discussions. Analog modeling is still just modeling, even if it gets more and more sophisticated. I have never heard a truly pleasing digital distortion effect. Whenever you want to push your levels, be it crazy resonant filters, highly overdriven audio levels, it just stops to sound pleasing to my ears in the digital realm. It gets harsh...

I do like some digital oscillators though...but filtering and gain staging isn't just there yet, at least for me

• edited May 2017

@hexagonsun83 said:

@5pinlink said:
    2017 and people still don't understand the very nature of their own GAS !!
    Analogue does not and has not ever, sounded better than digital, it just sounds different.
    Analogue modelled when tested against the thing it was modelled against might not sound the same, but neither would two of the same thing it was modelled against.
    Stop thinking in terms of which sounds better, which sounds good and offers the features you want, personally i still find a lot of physical controls trumps total recall, but i have zero issues with creating a sound and then either multi sampling it or recording it on the final DAW project, so total recall is still there.

You could apply this line of arguing to anything really. Of course Audio/Music is a highly subjective matter, hence all the fun discussions. Analog modeling is still just modeling, even if it gets more and more sophisticated. I have never heard a truly pleasing digital distortion effect. Whenever you want to push your levels, be it crazy resonant filters, highly overdriven audio levels, it just stops to sound pleasing to my ears in the digital realm. It gets harsh...

I do like some digital oscillators though...but filtering and gain staging isn't just there yet, at least for me

I agree but Repro-1 JAWS is there for me. Damn it is that good. But it´s also the most heavy part on cpu with 32X oversampling.
    I also love the harmonic distortion in B2 :)
    At the end it´s also a lot personal preference. A lot people were raving about Synapse Audio The Legend (Minimoog emulation) but i doesn´t liked it. But only because i would find the original Minimoog boring too (but i love Dune 2, the best sounding synth i own in general and very good FX plus audio rate modulation and OSC as modulation source and the best unison engine and and and....... :) )
    What i miss are more unique synths. Dust was a great surprise for me but is of course for a very specific use and not for everyone.
    Reaktor 6 is still the one who rules them all.....at least in theory.
    The strength of iOS synths is the performance and interaction with waveforms and such stuff.
    I still find there could be much better synths for multi-touch. Some even offer no change of more than one parameter at once (Model 15).
    ArpOdyssei sounds fantastic (for me maybe the most "analog" sounding synth for iOS) but the GUI and some other things are so terrible to use on a touch screen device that i stopped using it.
    The synth i´m mostly awaiting (beside Repro-5, Zebra 3 and Dune 3) is the one (more) which come with NanoStudio 2. I hope it will be a real little workhouse synth like Omnisphere, Falcon or Avenger (great but sold it because it doesn´t run well on my set-up).
    But whatever device, OS or synth you use, they share a lot things and if you know a few synths you know how to program your others too.
    Back to topic :# I think Zeeon will be great and will add a new flavor of sound to iOS (and hopefully as AU plug-in too). But it won´t be a "put your favorite synth in here" killer.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sunrizer is still the best iOS synth to date, in many respects. So stable and clean and a great price. Beep street will no doubt sell lots of this new app

• @Samu said:

@hansjbs said:

@Samu said:

Sorry for being a bit negative as I know you must stay politely correct as a VIP beta tester... But this is really getting ridiculous IMO.

• @ElGregoLoco said:

Sorry for being a bit negative as I know you must stay politely correct as a VIP beta tester... But this is really getting ridiculous IMO.

I know...

I'm being as honest as I possibly can since I do not know the precise release date but the wish from the man himself was to have the initial release done before WWDC'17.

So when I say I expect a few more betas to polish some 'rough edges' I really mean it...
    I jumped on the beta-train at Beta #12 and we're up at Beta #22 now and during some weeks there has been some stealth-updates too.

From what I know some of the beta-testers are working on video-tutorials and guides for the app so development is far from 'slow'. It's a bloody feature packed app so checking that everything works is a tedious task and I'm doing what's humanly possible and I bet the others are taking their duty seriously too. We all wan't this to be 'perfect'!

• @supadom said:

@5pinlink said:
    Oh OK, so it is just this weeks shiny shiny then, not sure i will be saying goodbye to my old analogue hardware any time soon because of this.

To me the moment they start sounding the same is the moment I don't miss the old thing anymore even if the tactile and the visual play their important part. You get the portability, patch recall etc.

Yep.

That is why I basically use Animoog 100% of the time and don't really mess with it. I am glad I picked that ios synth years ago to obsess and use exclusively for almost a year straight. I have a tool that works for me.

That being said, I buy basically every app and iap there is. Why? I don't know.

I am an addict at heart. I also don't spend money on much else in life anymore. I don't drink, I don't get high(5 years), so there are worse things.

However, I RARELY find any purchases as having any value in my work flow except for maybe 1 patch off this, and 1 sound off that.

The ios app field will not get easier for developers. There is a serious pool of tangible and quality products with a list of features that are almost required for the app to be taken seriously.

I kind of chuckle when I real through threads like this. So many self entitled tantrum fraught statements are laughable considering where ios music was 2 years ago. I include myself at times on this.

Then to think about DAWs 4 years ago.

Then I think about my garage in 1996 sampling with tape recorders and CD's, a Fender prec.bass with distortion through some shitty Sunn amp, with me rocking out on an old Yamaha FM synth "TRIGGERING" everything by HAND! OMG by hand.

Link. AU. State Saving. blah blah blah

All well and good. But as you said, look at Alchemy - NONE of those things and we still all love it.

Samplr, none of them and we love it.

The bells and whistles are luxuries and distractions. In fact, they may be DISTORTING the true quality perception of apps because we often judge apps on stats before performance when it may be better for the reciprocal.

Enough from me babbling on this one.

TGIF

• @RustiK said:

@supadom said:

@5pinlink said:

Yep.

That is why I basically use Animoog 100% of the time and don't really mess with it. I am glad I picked that ios synth years ago to obsess and use exclusively for almost a year straight. I have a tool that works for me.

That being said, I buy basically every app and iap there is. Why? I don't know.

I am an addict at heart. I also don't spend money on much else in life anymore. I don't drink, I don't get high(5 years), so there are worse things.

However, I RARELY find any purchases as having any value in my work flow except for maybe 1 patch off this, and 1 sound off that.

The ios app field will not get easier for developers. There is a serious pool of tangible and quality products with a list of features that are almost required for the app to be taken seriously.

I kind of chuckle when I real through threads like this. So many self entitled tantrum fraught statements are laughable considering where ios music was 2 years ago. I include myself at times on this.

Then to think about DAWs 4 years ago.

Then I think about my garage in 1996 sampling with tape recorders and CD's, a Fender prec.bass with distortion through some shitty Sunn amp, with me rocking out on an old Yamaha FM synth "TRIGGERING" everything by HAND! OMG by hand.

Link. AU. State Saving. blah blah blah

All well and good. But as you said, look at Alchemy - NONE of those things and we still all love it.

Samplr, none of them and we love it.

The bells and whistles are luxuries and distractions. In fact, they may be DISTORTING the true quality perception of apps because we often judge apps on stats before performance when it may be better for the reciprocal.

Enough from me babbling on this one.

TGIF

Indeed.

• I remember buying a record player at a car boot sale. It came with 3 vinyls and I promised myself I'd go to charity shops and hunt for some more in order to experience the higher sound from a needle in a groove. I probably listened to it twice, both on the same day. It must have ended in a bin in the end. Same experience with a tube amp and that fantastically sounding Ludwig snare.

If I was filthy rich with unlimited storage space and a bit more of a hoarding instinct I would have probably kept all of those things. I would have probably more time to really listen to their tonal superiority,....probably.

As it stands I play iPad synths, plug my Squier into a transistor amp with vintage sounding digital effects and play a brandless snare I got for pennies on a flea market. I happily listen to my MP3 collection and some decent internet radio stations streaming at as little as 128kbps and I actually manage to enjoy it.

We all have our angles and tendencies and over all made instincts which is exactly why contemporary advertising industry has us by the balls.

I guess it is 'if you don't have what you love you love what you have' or maybe ignorance is bliss. Whatever you do, make sure you bloody enjoy it.

Ah, by the way. I just picked up Moog theremini at this morning's boot for £15! I can't believe the guy who sold it to me thought it was some kind of radio! :dizzy:

• edited May 2017

@supadom said:
    I remember buying a record player at a car boot sale. It came with 3 vinyls and I promised myself I'd go to charity shops and hunt for some more in order to experience the higher sound from a needle in a groove. I probably listened to it twice, both on the same day. It must have ended in a bin in the end. Same experience with a tube amp and that fantastically sounding Ludwig snare.

If I was filthy rich with unlimited storage space and a bit more of a hoarding instinct I would have probably kept all of those things. I would have probably more time to really listen to their tonal superiority,....probably.

As it stands I play iPad synths, plug my Squier into a transistor amp with vintage sounding digital effects and play a brandless snare I got for pennies on a flea market. I happily listen to my MP3 collection and some decent internet radio stations streaming at as little as 128kbps and I actually manage to enjoy it.

We all have our angles and tendencies and over all made instincts which is exactly why contemporary advertising industry has us by the balls.

I guess it is 'if you don't have what you love you love what you have' or maybe ignorance is bliss. Whatever you do, make sure you bloody enjoy it.

Ah, by the way. I just picked up Moog theremini at this morning's boot for £15! I can't believe the guy who sold it to me thought it was some kind of radio! :dizzy:

Post Of The Year So Far Nominee

• @ElGregoLoco said:

@Samu said:

@hansjbs said:

@Samu said:

I'm as "politically incorrect" as it comes regarding music apps, and while the wait is arduous for us, I also appreciate the fact Intua has kept BM2 up to date while working on BM3. I appreciate the fact Intua wants BM3 to be THE goto standard Universal DAW. Intua is a group of a handful of ambitious independent developers, not a larger company, so I'm sure they're doing the best they can with whatever resources they got.

But you want "getting ridiculous"? How about Cakewalk who couldn't give five flying rat fucks about their iOS customer base and allow z3ta+ to remain riddled with bugs without so much as an update in over 2 years (which is like 10 in "computer years")? If I had known Cakewalk wouldn't bother updating z3ta+ ever again after I purchased it in January 2015, I'd have NEVER bothered wasting $19.99 of my money. (Especially since we had Caustic back then with its Modular synth, and now that we have Moog Model 15 and the upcoming Ripplemaker, all from companies that care about their products.)

Unlike Intua, Cakewalk IS a large, well-established company in the music industry/community who's been around for years. They have the resources needed to update z3ta+ on the iPad whenever they wish, but for whatever reason (probably lack of money and corporate greed) they just don't care. After the third time I wrote them, the person replying basically said that there were absolutely no plans to update it. I wrote Cakewalk earlier this year (fourth time) when I found out iOS 11 would discontinue 32-bit apps, and no response.

So, to bring it back on topic, yes the wait for BM3 is arduous, just like the wait for Auria Pro was arduous, but as with both cases, at least we know they are working on it and will eventually release it.

• @5pinlink said:
    Where exactly is this car boot sale, snares for pennies and Theremini for £15 !!!!!

Oxford Kassam Stadium every Sunday morning instead of church. I have no idea where he got it from. Most of vintage stuff I find comes from clearances of people who've died but this thing is still being sold new in shops! :p

• edited May 2017

@jwmmakerofmusic Well, BM3's release has become a bit of a running joke, but that will all be forgotten when the thing's out. It'll either blow doors off or not. The Cakewalk stuff isn't/won't be forgotten.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic Well, BM3's release has become a bit of a running joke, but that will all be forgotten when the thing's out. It'll either blow doors off or not. The Cakewalk stuff isn't/won't be forgotten.

(I mean the tone of this reply to be a bit cheeky.)

Lol, that's true. It was a running joke until Intua produced the screenshots, which basically shut me up at any rate. ;) Add to the fact Intua currently has my patented "independent group of developers forgiveness insurance"*, I have no doubt they'll deliver the goods. They said Q2, right?

*(This means any group of independent devs have about 5-10 years to update their products without stabbing us in the back before they end up on my personal shit list. For instance, Intermorphic. It was bad enough they'd charge for a full number upgrade that only had a few simple bugfixes, maintenance, and no real new features. However, then they discontinued these two fully-functional apps to try and cram subscription-based pricing down our throats with Wotja before they relented and offered a perpetual license price alongside the subscription model. So since they initially stabbed us in the back before offering a perpetual license for Wotja, Intermorphic is on my shit list. :D I trust them about as far as I can toss a baseball.)