Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Seaquence has been submitted to the app store

Comments

• @notlion said:

@db909 said:
    @notlion I noticed that when I pause and restart the sequence, it starts from the second step.

Ah yeah I see that. The first note is actually played but the playhead doesn't update. Thanks.

Thanks I couldn't tell if that was the case or not. Good to know.

• only had a few minutes or it here at work, but a very cool app. thanks

• @notlion said:

is the a background audio option so that you can be in another app, while seaquence is sending out midi?. currently it stops sending midi when i switch over to my synth app

Currently Seaquence only plays in the foreground. I know it's a big limitation and working on a fix for this..

I appreciate your work on getting the app to play in the background, it will make a world of difference in terms of being able to integrate Seaquence with existing app work flows.

• @notlion said:
    Hey. Ryan here (1/2 Seaquence devs). I'm loving all this feedback.

Creatures can be cloned by long-pressing on the "new creature" button while editing a creature.

We started a guide here, which has some more info. It's a work in progress:
    http://okaynokay.xyz/seaquence/guide

Thanks for the cloning info. Helps to get nice harmony faster.

I'd like to be able to either load this in AUM/AudioBus to record, and/or record a loop to export to AudioShare for use in other apps. And background.

Link would be cool too.

Also would like to be able to make more sequence patterns.

I know others have requested most of these items as well, and some of them you're looking into implementing. Can you say if these would be added as additional IAPs? Or, included with the initial Seaquence complete $6.99 unlock IAP?

• @skiphunt how many patterns can you make? I didn't reach a limit when I used it

• @db909 said:
    @skiphunt how many patterns can you make? I didn't reach a limit when I used it

I'm using the free version. To be sure we're talking about the same thing... You make a creature, set up your 16-step sequence, and then it just loops. How do you add sequences for more patterns? Is that one of the things you get with the IAP?

• i have the IAP and you hit a plus button and I can create up 64 creatures. 8 can be heard at a time.

• @db909 said:
    i have the IAP and you hit a plus button and I can create up 64 creatures. 8 can be heard at a time.

I haven't counted how many, but you can add a bunch of creatures in the free one too. Looks like 8 play, but the 8 that are playing appear to change on their own. I wonder what the algorithm is that decides which 8 are playing at any given time?

• Ha! Those little floating node-creatures are kind of freaky. Maybe it should be called Sea-Monkeys! :smile:

• @skiphunt I'd like to stick with one in-app-purchase upgrade for as long as we can. If we add another it would probably be for some wholly new functionality like maybe a different creature type.

• @notlion said:
    @skiphunt I'd like to stick with one in-app-purchase upgrade for as long as we can. If we add another it would probably be for some wholly new functionality like maybe a different creature type.

Ok, cool. I like the app, but only want to pay the IAP if it's gonna get a little more connectivity. If the top few items peeps are requesting like background audio, IAA/AB and AudioShare, and maybe Link too... will be included in the current IAP, I might take the plunge.

I was getting a little bored with my first 15-20mins with it, but now that I know that you can extend the patterns out with the current IAP, and get more control over the notes in the sequencer, midi-out, etc. it's looking more attractive for sure.

Also like the way you handled the sort of "preview" of the extra features on the IAP unlock page. Sort of gives you a nice taste of the goods you're getting for the extra scratch. Thanks! :)

• @skiphunt it appears the algorithm is whichever creatures are closest to the center of your view. So probably distance from that determines the heirarchy

• @notlion said:

Thanks for developing Seaquence, it's a lot of fun.
    I'm sure you're inundated with feature requests, but my top faves would be:

Ableton Link, IAA etc,
    Landscape,
    Behaviour controls for the creatures
    Automation for creating a creature path
    Common scales selection eg Dorian, phrygian, Lydian etc
    Multi pages of step patterns which you can duplicate patterns and enable longer sequences
    as many Randomise features as you can make
    Sample creatures where you can import samples.
    being able to record the midi in to the creatures would be useful too

• Those who've got the IAP and been playing with this app's midi, etc. for a few days... What say you? This ones starting to really grow on me, after I spent some time going through other user's Seaquence projects.

• edited March 2017

I like it. It's fun and different. Potentially deeper than meets the eye I think. Unique approach. And, they let you try out most of the app for free.

Part of the purchase of the IAP goes to a civic Arts non-profit organization.

Dang it... I wanna support this dev. Sold. :)

• @JeffChasteen said:
    Fun little app with a nice sounding synth engine.
    When it has AB/IAA and can play in the background, I will gladly pony up the 6.99. Until then, its limitations outweigh its charms.

Indeed, a lot of fun and cleverly designed but I need the above + Landscape as a minimum.

The user presets are a lot of fun to browse, we need more apps that put collaboration and sharing high on the list of features.

• edited March 2017

@TheVimFuego said:

@JeffChasteen said:
    Fun little app with a nice sounding synth engine.
    When it has AB/IAA and can play in the background, I will gladly pony up the 6.99. Until then, its limitations outweigh its charms.

Indeed, a lot of fun and cleverly designed but I need the above + Landscape as a minimum.

The user presets are a lot of fun to browse, we need more apps that put collaboration and sharing high on the list of features.

Yes, background and landscape. The internal sounds can be sweet too, so IAA/AB and AudioShare would be great.

Midi control of external instruments with this is very nice. :)

I thought someone here said you could have lots of patterns? All I see is one 16 step matrix for each creature. I can have sort of a pattern song mode via external midi, but it it'd be mo' bettah if you could do that in app. Unless I'm just missing it.

• @skiphunt each creature is a pattern and set of synth settings, for more patterns, create more creatures. You can clone them to keep the same synth settings and step sequence (and then change them independently) Only 8 will play at a time, based on distance to the center of your current view of the pond. You can create up to 64 patterns/creatures on iPhone. Not sure if iPad is more.

• edited March 2017

@db909 said:
    @skiphunt each creature is a pattern and set of synth settings, for more patterns, create more creatures. You can clone them to keep the same synth settings and step sequence (and then change them independently) Only 8 will play at a time, based on distance to the center of your current view of the pond. You can create up to 64 patterns/creatures on iPhone. Not sure if iPad is more.

Yes, I know that. What I specifically asked about before purchasing was if you could add more sequence patterns per creature so that I could string them together into a longer, linear series of sequences or a "song".

You said you could with a + after the upgrade, but evidentally you can not. And, I guess your definition of a sequence pattern unit is different than mine.

• I dunno it's weird app. That was the best i could figure out. sorry I misunderstood

• @db909 said:
    I dunno it's weird app. That was the best i could figure out. sorry I misunderstood

No worries. It's midi in allows me to use Genome to drive multiple channels of pattern sequences to each creature, and string together into a longer piece or "song".

Can't seem to do the same with modstep though. Can only feed in one channel of midi sequence at a time. Unless I've got something set wrong.

• @skiphunt said:
    Dang it... I wanna support this dev. Sold. :)

Thanks!

@Carnbot We've been thinking about a lot of these.. Automation of creature paths is one that I really want. If we do that it would probably be part of a larger update since the physics sim and synth engines would need to be more tightly coupled.

The feedback that we are getting from most people is that they want background audio, connectivity and landscape so those are the things that we'll probably focus on first.

@skiphunt Sorry about the multiple patterns confusion. Currently you only get 16x16 per creature.

Glad you guys are having fun :smile:

• @notlion: "background audio, connectivity and landscape so those are the things that we'll probably focus on first." I hope as soon as possible. :)

• And thx for the App!

• I had high hopes for this app and bought the full IAP upgrade as soon as it came out with hopes it'd be developed further.

I'd almost forgotten about it until I saw there was an update coming. Well, it just dropped and it's way cool. Everything I was hoping would get implemented, did... And then some!

Too many awesome toys lately. :)

Check it out. I think it's still free for basic use with an IAP to unlock all the cool new stuff. Midi in/out is very well implemented and you can now record both audio and video for export. Some other cool filter stuff too. Big update overall.

• @skiphunt said:
    I had high hopes for this app and bought the full IAP upgrade as soon as it came out with hopes it'd be developed further.

I'd almost forgotten about it until I saw there was an update coming. Well, it just dropped and it's way cool. Everything I was hoping would get implemented, did... And then some!

Too many awesome toys lately. :)

Check it out. I think it's still free for basic use with an IAP to unlock all the cool new stuff. Midi in/out is very well implemented and you can now record both audio and video for export. Some other cool filter stuff too. Big update overall.

Thanks for the tip Mister.

• First I seen it must of been off the grid when this one hit. First thoughts these creatures in "The Matrix" , it looks very unique.

• Oh yeah that's why I deleted it portrait only.

• @skiphunt said:
    Curious... Although I too would prefer the option for landscape too, I don't really see portrait as a dealbreaker. Why do some of you? I've got Earhoof and love to play with that one, and it's portrait only. Doesn't bother me at all. When I mess around with Model 15, I kind of prefer than one in portrait vs landscape orientation.

I'm not criticizing the landscape preference, but I don't understand why it's a deal breaker.

Because I cannot use the App in this case at all.

The iPad is standing in it's case and it also has cables.

I cannot use it in portrait mode normally.
    And also, as everything else runs in landscape, I would need to constantly switch the rotation back and forth.

It's just not possible at all.

• And to add on this, while in bed, I am charging the iPad - but in this case, the cable needs to be on the right side, not on the left.

The very first thing that needs to work for any App is, that it is fully rotatable!
    Before any actual content.