Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Seaquence has been submitted to the app store

Comments

• Nice update. Would like to see landscape and AB3 midi next, would be good to have multiple lanes one for each creature. Can't really see myself using it til then as I have the same issue with portrait only apps. Good for iPhone but not iPad.

• edited August 2017

It's a very cool, fun, innovative, and well implemented app. Having the choice of vertical or horizontal is always an advantage... but I guess I use my mobile devices... well, more "mobile" and not strapped into a desk stand. So, it's not an issue for me. My iPad is only in a stand when it's charging, and I can place it there either vertical OR horizontally. Otherwise, I'm using it as a mobile device and free to turn it any which way.

The excellent Droneo app is highly regarded in this forum, but I don't recall anyone complaining about that one being only vertical.

If I'm at the desktop and I'm running audio/midi from my iPad to the desktop via lightning cable... and I'm using an app that's vertical only, I just turn it vertically in it's cradle. Maybe some of you could look into a desk stand that's rotatable?

And, many audio apps are ONLY horizontal... which is very annoying to those actually using our "mobile devices" in a mobile fashion as intended... but no one complains about that either for some reason.

It's a bit surprising the dev didn't make a horizontal interface too... considering the excellent, minimalistic design of the interface seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to do.

That being said... to each their own. I'm enjoying the heck out of it and VERY happy that I supported this dev by purchasing the IAP on this one. :)

• Why?
    Why?
    Why?
    Why have such a gorgeous sound engine and not be AB or AUM compatible?
    Still waiting.

• @JeffChasteen said:
    Why?
    Why?
    Why?
    Still waiting.

You CAN record the audio and easily export right into AudioShare. You can even record a video of your session to export as well.

I really don't get all of this focus on what features some users demand, ie. link, AU, AB, IAA and end up throwing out the great things some apps are capable of.

I'm thrilled with this app and love how the developer has taken it to a whole other level. Maybe the iOS sound "enthusiast" audience isn't who this developer is targeting. Who knows. There's a community aspect of the app that I haven't explored yet, that looks interesting too.

Just figured I'd pass on that it's been updated with a bunch of cool features. I dig it for what it is and what it DOES do. Cheers :)

• Very interesting!
    Landscape please it's so beautiful to see these swimming musicians bugs :D

• @skiphunt said:

@JeffChasteen said:
    Why?
    Why?
    Why?
    Still waiting.

You CAN record the audio and easily export right into AudioShare. You can even record a video of your session to export as well.

I really don't get all of this focus on what features some users demand, ie. link, AU, AB, IAA and end up throwing out the great things some apps are capable of.

I'm thrilled with this app and love how the developer has taken it to a whole other level. Maybe the iOS sound "enthusiast" audience isn't who this developer is targeting. Who knows. There's a community aspect of the app that I haven't explored yet, that looks interesting too.

Just figured I'd pass on that it's been updated with a bunch of cool features. I dig it for what it is and what it DOES do. Cheers :)

Don't get me wrong; I think it is a wonderful app and support the developers. However, they really went out of their way to design a really nice sound engine, but it is frustrating that one can't immediately drop it into the workflow. It's a given that I must go the internal record and export route with older apps from the pre AB or IAA days, but Seaquence is a stripling. Or maybe I am just impatient? :)

• @JeffChasteen said:

@skiphunt said:

@JeffChasteen said:
    Why?
    Why?
    Why?
    Still waiting.

Don't get me wrong; I think it is a wonderful app and support the developers. However, they really went out of their way to design a really nice sound engine, but it is frustrating that one can't immediately drop it into the workflow. It's a given that I must go the internal record and export route with older apps from the pre AB or IAA days, but Seaquence is a stripling. Or maybe I am just impatient? :)

I don't know. I'd be lying if I said the first things I checked with the new update was if I could load it into AUM and if it had a horizontal display option.

But, those omissions aren't deal breakers for me. I'm also very fond of the interface. It's just so dang fun and intuitive.

• edited August 2017

I really like how they allow us to tweak before buying :)

Just left my review.

Has anyone reached out to the devs?

Midi in would rock!
    Imagine KRFT and this?

• @JeffChasteen said:

@skiphunt said:

@JeffChasteen said:
    Why?
    Why?
    Why?
    Still waiting.

You are not alone.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@skiphunt said:

@JeffChasteen said:
    Why?
    Why?
    Why?
    Still waiting.

You are not alone.

We are not alone.

I get if it doesn't bother you then it doesn't bother you. But the landscape/portrait thing does bother me, so there it is.

• Forgot I had it. Seems to be a significant update.

• Supported this app after John recommended it months ago.

Fun little app and not as "silly" as it seems. Very serious for making cool music.

• Wow, truly enjoying this app!!
    Anyone got it to sync to other apps? Or must the IAP Be purchased first??

• same here. forgot i even had it, and am rediscovering it. i'm liking the midi update.

• Got it synced up to Model 15 and Soft Drummer. Really cool!
    Now trying to figure out how to disable the internal sound of a single organism that's sending its note data to Model 15. I have both playing at same time.

I can disable internal sound engine but that affects all organisms.

Pretty cool that Soft Drummer starts in perfect sync with Seaquencer's Transport. It really works!

Haven't tried inside AUM thought.
    Right now I have AB3 hosting Soft Drummer and Model 15.

• edited August 2017

Just left my Apps Store review. I bought the IAP and I'm really enjoying this baby tweaking Model 15 and it's syncing up quite nicely with Soft Drummer. Haven't tested midi in, but i see midi input in the settings page.

Having a lot of fun with this one guys.

Can someone please explain what the Midi latency slider is for? What does it do?

@skiphunt said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@skiphunt said:

@JeffChasteen said:
    Why?
    Why?
    Why?
    Still waiting.

I don't know. I'd be lying if I said the first things I checked with the new update was if I could load it into AUM and if it had a horizontal display option.

But, those omissions aren't deal breakers for me. I'm also very fond of the interface. It's just so dang fun and intuitive.

• Hey @MusicMan4Christ! Seaquence developer here. The MIDI latency slider controls the amount of time that MIDI messages are delayed before being sent. This is pretty standard. Since our audio engine processes samples in discrete blocks, without some delay MIDI will end up being quantized to the block interval. The latency slider allows you to trade off increased delay (latency) for more consistent message timing.

Also thanks everyone for the great feedback.. We definitely know how much lack of landscape orientation is an issue. We're still working through how best to implement it. Hoping to include that in a future update.

ryan

• edited August 2017

Hi all, other Seaquence dev here :-D

It's so cool to see all the feedback in this thread, thank you for all of it

It's inspiring to start thinking about Seaquence as a component in a workflow. It's clear that landscape orientation is necessary, especially on iPad. A bonus of landscape orientation is that it also increases the width of direct interaction in the the stereo field when dragging voices around

As far as integrations, our latest update includes audio (and video!) export, MIDI i/o support. Out of the buffet of integrations like AU, AB(3), IAA, Link (and others I've likely missed?), we're reading up on the docs and API's to see which ones we should dive into. AB3 and Ableton Link seem like top contenders.

• @quilime said:
    Hi all, other Seaquence dev here :-D

It's so cool to see all the feedback in this thread, thank you for all of it

It's inspiring to start thinking about Seaquence as a component in a workflow. It's clear that landscape orientation is necessary, especially on iPad. A bonus of landscape orientation is that it also increases the width of direct interaction in the the stereo field when dragging voices around

As far as integrations, our latest update includes audio (and video!) export, MIDI i/o support. Out of the buffet of integrations like AU, AB(3), IAA, Link (and others I've likely missed?), we're reading up on the docs and API's to see which ones we should dive into. AB3 and Ableton Link seem like top contenders.

That is great news. Thanks!

• @quilime & @notlion been a fan since launch and I'm in love with the interface. Also, awesome that you cats donate support and charity for other artists, devs and musicians. That's so cool and influenced my decision to support your app development.

Hat off to you and bravo for such a killer app. :)

• @notlion and @quilime so awesome to see you both dive in here and read up. Welcome and again, thank you so much for creating this beautifully crafted musical studio app!

So far its been such fun creating with your app. I know there are so many wishes and thank you for listening. AB3 and Link totally top of the list. Awesome!

Another thing i wish is the ability to have an internal switch to either have the internal synth engine turn off or on or both, for each organism voice. I don't know if that's what they're called.

So being able to select to use the internal synth which by the way is pretty awesome and powerful, but also be able to turn it off for that voice and allow the choice to select internal, external or both. This way, the external synth playing that voice for the organism will be the only one playing back. I had it working but somehow it got re enabled, don't know how i did it, but it was during the process of enabling or disabling the sound engine.

I know there are many pro users here that are way more advanced in midi than i am but I'm really enjoying driving Moog Synths and Infinite Synth, awesome!!

Also, i wish there was a way to draw predetermined boundaries for each organism. Of course optional, and have them only stay within those boundaries, sort of like panning, once you set the panning to a certain place, you leave it there unless of course you decide otherwise and let it go free to swim in the sea. :)

Last wish, is there a way to be able to increase the number of measures or bars allowed to record in each organisms voice sequencer? Would love to make a whole song with this app! It can be done, please someday???

So many wishes, but again, thank you and i hope my App Store review helps you guys out.

• @quilime & @notlion kudos on the ethos etc.

• Is there a keyboard? I hate just programming....

• @KlaatuNinja said:
    Is there a keyboard? I hate just programming....

You and me both, but this is one sequencer that makes it pretty fun and fluid

• @db909 said:

@KlaatuNinja said:

There's midi in but I can't see how to record the midi into the creatures....

• Same here :/

@Carnbot said:

@db909 said:

@KlaatuNinja said:

There's midi in but I can't see how to record the midi into the creatures....

• Absolutely loving this app. So completely delightful. Easiest IAP purchase I've come across in a long time!

@echoopera said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@echoopera said:

Thanks! It does everything I wish Xynthesizr would do. I love being able to send n# tracks with different sequences to different synths. As soon as it gets IAA, and Background Audio support it will be vastly improved.

Does it do any of the randomization that Synthesizer does?

No...there are definitely missing features:

Essential Features Needed:
    . IAA
    . Audiobus
    . Background Audio
    . Ableton Link

Nice To Have Features:
    . Randomization / Game of Life routines
    . Scale Picker
    . Landscape mode

I'm sure others will have more...these are just mine.

Other than IAA, this pretty well matches my main hopes for the app though I'm not sure any are essential, per se. App is musical and productive for me as is.

A few more below from the request brain/train. Most are just ideas. Again, quite pleased with the 7 bucks I spent!

• LOVE that the global transpose slider waits until finger-release. Thank you! Would really like to see this under MIDI control. Then we could use an external sequencer with a very slow clock to transpose Seaquence or transpose real time with an external keyboard (that might be berlin-schooling other sequencer transpositions!)
    • Variable creature sequencer lengths. Some uses for this can be mimicked with clock multipliers but it's not possible to say, have a quick 32nd note trill and then wait two measures before being available for triggering again. Or a 3 note loop or... For the first use case anyway, the ability to pad the sequence with 1 or 2 silent sequences would do the trick.
    • Vertical beat delineations in the sequencer
    • Function to split sequence/creature to N other creatures. Musically, I'd like to build up a busy(ish) sequence in solo mode and then automatically spread the steps/notes around to other N other creatures. The method of division could be totally random. Perhaps with an option to 'keep steps/chords' so that chords could be transferred intact or split up.
    • For MIDI out, ability to set max voices per MIDI channel, presuming the max voices is more of an internal synth:cpu consideration
    • Ability to set creature aggression level! :) Shy creatures will not try too hard to get to the center, aggressive creatures will head back quickly. Like a -50/+50 slider with 0 being the current behavior. -50 would only end up in the center when dragged in; +50 would absolutely squat there.
    • Creature collision mode or maybe even variable collision intensity per creature. Low = pass through like now, high = bouncing. With aggression, neat stuff could happen.
    • Assign creature position (pan) to a CC when in MIDI mode. This could be per creature (omg) or per midi channel (still powerful!).
    • Internal synth sounds very good. This was a really pleasant surprise as I bought it as a sequencer. Main wish is for an LFO that can be pointed at pitch, cutoff or amp. XY for speed/intensity and 3 little buttons for destination? Could also see this as a curve in the sequencer. Or replacing the step length slider section which could be moved to the sequencer; maybe popped up by splitting the awesome swing slider into two buttons which pop up the step length slider or the swing slider.
    • Option to set new creatures to spawn without notes. Absolutely get that from a 'delight' perspective having the app automatically add notes very much contributes to it. I'm already delighted and now I wind up clearing them each time.
    • Randomize for the internal synth
    • Presets for the internal synth
    • Couple of XY grid tools for the sequencer: one to shift steps left and right in time, one to shift steps up and down in pitch. Maybe via two finger swipe?
    • Ability to set a given step in the sequencer to 'Rotate' so that you could enter a chord in mono mode and have it rotate through those notes on each subsequent sequence.
    • On that note, 'Low note priority' in the sequencer would be 100% fine with me—I'd rather keep the chords I entered when switching between mono/poly modes and just have the other notes ignored (possibly dimmed) then have to recreate them when I decide it was better in poly mode.
  • Wow so glad you like it man! I'm really liking it too but I couldn't get it to send reliably via Midi to Cubasis. It did but not solidly on my iPad. On iPhone its a lot easier with midi. With AUM sending to AUv3s a little better but again I'm not so good at midi and still learning. I really like your ideas and hopefully the Devs come through.

@syrupcore said:
    Absolutely loving this app. So completely delightful. Easiest IAP purchase I've come across in a long time!

@echoopera said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@echoopera said:

Thanks! It does everything I wish Xynthesizr would do. I love being able to send n# tracks with different sequences to different synths. As soon as it gets IAA, and Background Audio support it will be vastly improved.

Does it do any of the randomization that Synthesizer does?

No...there are definitely missing features:

Essential Features Needed:
    . IAA
    . Audiobus
    . Background Audio
    . Ableton Link

Nice To Have Features:
    . Randomization / Game of Life routines
    . Scale Picker
    . Landscape mode

I'm sure others will have more...these are just mine.

Other than IAA, this pretty well matches my main hopes for the app though I'm not sure any are essential, per se. App is musical and productive for me as is.

A few more below from the request brain/train. Most are just ideas. Again, quite pleased with the 7 bucks I spent!

• LOVE that the global transpose slider waits until finger-release. Thank you! Would really like to see this under MIDI control. Then we could use an external sequencer with a very slow clock to transpose Seaquence or transpose real time with an external keyboard (that might be berlin-schooling other sequencer transpositions!)
    • Variable creature sequencer lengths. Some uses for this can be mimicked with clock multipliers but it's not possible to say, have a quick 32nd note trill and then wait two measures before being available for triggering again. Or a 3 note loop or... For the first use case anyway, the ability to pad the sequence with 1 or 2 silent sequences would do the trick.
    • Vertical beat delineations in the sequencer
    • Function to split sequence/creature to N other creatures. Musically, I'd like to build up a busy(ish) sequence in solo mode and then automatically spread the steps/notes around to other N other creatures. The method of division could be totally random. Perhaps with an option to 'keep steps/chords' so that chords could be transferred intact or split up.
    • For MIDI out, ability to set max voices per MIDI channel, presuming the max voices is more of an internal synth:cpu consideration
    • Ability to set creature aggression level! :) Shy creatures will not try too hard to get to the center, aggressive creatures will head back quickly. Like a -50/+50 slider with 0 being the current behavior. -50 would only end up in the center when dragged in; +50 would absolutely squat there.
    • Creature collision mode or maybe even variable collision intensity per creature. Low = pass through like now, high = bouncing. With aggression, neat stuff could happen.
    • Assign creature position (pan) to a CC when in MIDI mode. This could be per creature (omg) or per midi channel (still powerful!).
    • Internal synth sounds very good. This was a really pleasant surprise as I bought it as a sequencer. Main wish is for an LFO that can be pointed at pitch, cutoff or amp. XY for speed/intensity and 3 little buttons for destination? Could also see this as a curve in the sequencer. Or replacing the step length slider section which could be moved to the sequencer; maybe popped up by splitting the awesome swing slider into two buttons which pop up the step length slider or the swing slider.
    • Option to set new creatures to spawn without notes. Absolutely get that from a 'delight' perspective having the app automatically add notes very much contributes to it. I'm already delighted and now I wind up clearing them each time.
    • Randomize for the internal synth
    • Presets for the internal synth
    • Couple of XY grid tools for the sequencer: one to shift steps left and right in time, one to shift steps up and down in pitch. Maybe via two finger swipe?
    • Ability to set a given step in the sequencer to 'Rotate' so that you could enter a chord in mono mode and have it rotate through those notes on each subsequent sequence.
    • On that note, 'Low note priority' in the sequencer would be 100% fine with me—I'd rather keep the chords I entered when switching between mono/poly modes and just have the other notes ignored (possibly dimmed) then have to recreate them when I decide it was better in poly mode.
  • Setting resolution to 1024 in AUM fixed a lot of issues! Will do more tests.

• edited August 2017

Fun fact. I can't currently purchase the IAP because,in portrait mode, the keyboard won't display properly, so I can't enter my password! And, five mins later, the problem disappears...ios, eh?