Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

This looks like fun: Layr

Comments

• When and how much?????

• @Audiojunkie said:
    This is the kind of thing I have always dreamed about!! I hope it gains AU support too!

This is not very likely to happen soon, from the LayR website:

Why isn’t there an AudioUnit extension option for LayR?
    LayR was designed from the ground up as an AudioUnit.

However during development it became clear that Apple's AU implementation on iOS is not best suited to large complex applications. LayR provides separate outputs via Inter-App-Audio and, due to the nature of it’s parallel voice processing, it uses a constant CPU load and does not benefit from multiple instances as an AudioUnit. Another factor is user interface, Apple’s AU implementation severely limits the screen space available to units, LayR would be limited to it’s iPhone UI as an AU. There is also currently what looks like a bug in iOS which can cause some hosts to freeze in a certain circumstance. If that bug is confirmed and fixed we may re-consider our decision to limit LayR to IAA & Audiobus.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@db909 said:
    I love me some layers. That's for sure. Just when you think you didn't want another synth

True sentiments.
    But that walkthrough is kind of stultifying.

I hear that, it filled me with inertia.

Holy cow. A Drimble Wedge & the Vegetations reference. I am humbled.

• @yowza said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    This is the kind of thing I have always dreamed about!! I hope it gains AU support too!

However during development it became clear that Apple's AU implementation on iOS is not best suited to large complex applications. LayR provides separate outputs via Inter-App-Audio and, due to the nature of it’s parallel voice processing, it uses a constant CPU load and does not benefit from multiple instances as an AudioUnit. Another factor is user interface, Apple’s AU implementation severely limits the screen space available to units, LayR would be limited to it’s iPhone UI as an AU. There is also currently what looks like a bug in iOS which can cause some hosts to freeze in a certain circumstance. If that bug is confirmed and fixed we may re-consider our decision to limit LayR to IAA & Audiobus.

Oh well. I really like IAA (with proper transport and synchronization), and Audiobus is great too (and will be even better with AB3). I think I'll get by--it's still an instabuy!! :smiley:

• @Audiojunkie said:

@yowza said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Oh well. I really like IAA (with proper transport and synchronization), and Audiobus is great too (and will be even better with AB3). I think I'll get by--it's still an instabuy!! :smiley:

Oh, and according to @Sebastian, bugfixes in iOS makes IAA/Audiobus even better, since the proper closing of apps has been improved! :smiley:

• @studs1966 said:

@hellquist said:

@studs1966 said:

picking up jaw from floor and opens wallet

Does look sexy, doesn't it?........

And some of the sounds are just mind numbingly beautiful. The layering! And it has an 8 channel 16-step arp to output to any midi channel!

• Is it IAA instrument or generator ?

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Is it IAA instrument or generator ?

Which is which always mixes me up, but it seems that it's the one that receives note-in from hosts...

• @Littlewoodg said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Which is which always mixes me up, but it seems that it's the one that receives note-in from hosts...

Thanks, that's not what my bank manager wanted to hear ....(but it's the sort I prefer)

• @BiancaNeve said:

If you look at http://www.livingmemorysoftware.com/layr.html it says "Multi-Timbral with 8 individual stereo instrument outputs + full mix output". That'd mean 1 instrument + 8 generators.

• This sounds entirely too good. Where's the "Buy" button...

• I don't think they've settled on a price yet. Haven't seen t mentioned anywhere.

• edited March 2017

I'm not interested at all *. I reckon they should put it out at an intro price for around £1.99

• liar
  • There are a lot of apps that output multiple instruments--like iM1 and Gadget and SampleTank--but very few that output on individual stereo outs. This potentially sounds like something very special. It all depends on what the sounds are like and how stable it is when you run it through AUM or a DAW like Auria Pro or Cubasis. :)

• And if our iPads are going to be able to handl ball the CPU demands.

• You cannot handl ball the truth!

• If I do handl ball, how long until it is considered perverted?

• @Reid said:
    There are a lot of apps that output multiple instruments--like iM1 and Gadget and SampleTank--but very few that output on individual stereo outs. This potentially sounds like something very special. It all depends on what the sounds are like and how stable it is when you run it through AUM or a DAW like Auria Pro or Cubasis. :)

One of the coolest things with LayR is the ability to layer lots of sounds/synths on top of each other, creating a very fat, or intricate, sound. I mean, 256 layers of different synths is bound to have a rather detailed control over the final sound. And you can then output which ever combinations of those synths to which ever out channel you'd like.

• @hellquist said:

@Reid said:
    There are a lot of apps that output multiple instruments--like iM1 and Gadget and SampleTank--but very few that output on individual stereo outs. This potentially sounds like something very special. It all depends on what the sounds are like and how stable it is when you run it through AUM or a DAW like Auria Pro or Cubasis. :)

One of the coolest things with LayR is the ability to layer lots of sounds/synths on top of each other, creating a very fat, or intricate, sound. I mean, 256 layers of different synths is bound to have a rather detailed control over the final sound. And you can then output which ever combinations of those synths to which ever out channel you'd like.

And move among them

• Based on their downloadable presskit:

The price is 19.99 (in dollars and British pounds.) It has no in-app purchases. Requires a 64-bit iPhone or iPad running iOS 9 or newer.

It should be out by mid-March.

• @Reid said:
    Based on their downloadable presskit:

The price is 19.99 (in dollars and British pounds.) It has no in-app purchases. Requires a 64-bit iPhone or iPad running iOS 9 or newer.

It should be out by mid-March.

Shutupandtakemymoney.

• Although this looks fun, and I might get it myself... How is this "layered" approach really all that different or beneficial over simply loading multiple instances AU synths and/or varying configurable AU synths on multiple channels in AUM, all controlled by one keyboard with additional fx potentially added to each channel, etc.?

There's the built in arp for each layer, capable of setting sync'd complex sequences per synth layer... But can't you basically do essentially the same thing with multiple AU instances of Addictive Pro and/or Reslice?

What is the groundbreaking, unique component of this particular approach?

• @skiphunt said:
    Although this looks fun, and I might get it myself... How is this "layered" approach really all that different or beneficial over simply loading multiple instances AU synths and/or varying configurable AU synths on multiple channels in AUM, all controlled by one keyboard with additional fx potentially added to each channel, etc.?

There's the built in arp for each layer, capable of setting sync'd complex sequences per synth layer... But can't you basically do essentially the same thing with multiple AU instances of Addictive Pro and/or Reslice?

Beats me, just sounds purdy and I want a ton of presets. Please let there be a ton of presets.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@db909 said:
    I love me some layers. That's for sure. Just when you think you didn't want another synth

True sentiments.
    But that walkthrough is kind of stultifying.

I hear that, it filled me with inertia.

Holy cow. A Drimble Wedge & the Vegetations reference. I am humbled.

I am very much into all things Peter Cook. :)

This synth? Not sure I need it or what it adds to my, already vast, array of sonic possibilities. Not to say it isn't wonderful (the arp stuff looks great) and I'll probably cave in at some point in the future but ... really needs to be special/unique at this point.

I've held off on the Fabfilter Pro R I can stay strong ...

• @AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:
    Although this looks fun, and I might get it myself... How is this "layered" approach really all that different or beneficial over simply loading multiple instances AU synths and/or varying configurable AU synths on multiple channels in AUM, all controlled by one keyboard with additional fx potentially added to each channel, etc.?

Beats me, just sounds purdy and I want a ton of presets. Please let there be a ton of presets.

Yes, it does sound nice and looks fun. No doubt. I've bought other apps I didn't need and didn't really offer much new... simply because I loved the design and interface.

Just wondering if I'm missing something more with this one that makes it really stand out from the pack.

• I am blithely unimpressed. Unless there's an introductory sale price, in which case, Wheeeeee.

• I really wish i could demo apps. From the few sound demos i heard it sounds not nearly as massive as f.e. a large Model 15 patch. I also miss definition in those layered sounds.
    It's hard to judge. The problem is i don't know if i will pay 20€ (or so) without a demo these days, even when it looks very interesting.
    I wish there would be time limited trials for those apps for 14 days or so.

• @Cib said:
    I wish there would be time limited trials for those apps for 14 days or so.

I'd settle for two hours.