Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club February 2017

123457»

Comments

• @hellquist said:
    Thanks all for great feedback! I feel humbled and really appreciate your views.

@bluepunk - hehehe, funny. Well done too, and I was completely thrown as I had time to start reading your intro text before it actually started (“struggle writing love songs” etc). Makes me think of Primus. Sort of Primus-Meets-The-Young-Ones. Great work with the vocals going in/out/overlapping etc. :)

Much appreciated. Was watching "Bottom" at the weekend and with your Young Ones tie-in, now, points me towards more musical (ha) mayhem to be slapped down hard onto the Job centre counter this month. ;)

• @Bluepunk said:

@hellquist said:

@bluepunk - hehehe, funny. Well done too, and I was completely thrown as I had time to start reading your intro text before it actually started (“struggle writing love songs” etc). Makes me think of Primus. Sort of Primus-Meets-The-Young-Ones. Great work with the vocals going in/out/overlapping etc. :)

Much appreciated. Was watching "Bottom" at the weekend and with your Young Ones tie-in, now, points me towards more musical (ha) mayhem to be slapped down hard onto the Job centre counter this month. ;)

I put on my Young Ones DVD the weekend before, and was amazed at how good and fresh it still was. Only worrying thing was the impossible-to-ignore resemblance to me and three of my friends at the time.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Bluepunk said:

@hellquist said:

I put on my Young Ones DVD the weekend before, and was amazed at how good and fresh it still was. Only worrying thing was the impossible-to-ignore resemblance to me and three of my friends at the time.

I know the feeling Monzo ;) The missus was on resuscitation duties Saturday because of this scene. Couldn't breathe! It loops for ten hours but a minute will do. You're right, still fresh and hilarious.

• @richardyot said:
    My effort for the month. It's a bit wordy for me, I wrote the lyrics first (something I've never done before). I got a free app called Word Palette that made writing words the easiest it's ever been for me, so rather than labouring over the lyrics for days on end they just poured out of me, and that's never happened before. I then tried a few different melodies to find something that worked, and once I settled on something I liked I built the harmony around it, first on guitar and then later with synths.

The vocals are not pitch corrected, there's a couple of flat notes in there, but I used Pro R to emphasize the throaty quality of the voice, by using the blue EQ curve to exaggerate the mids (while dampening the highs) to accentuate the timbre of the voice. Other than that it's just the usual compression and a smidge of very short delay. Also didn't double-track because I thought the vocal sounded better without.

The synth riff is Alchemy GarageBand, drums are Darcy. Lyrics in the spoiler.

you're a thoughtful man
    with a careful plan
    meticulously made
    nothing left to fate

but fate's a funny thing
    she likes to play to win
    won't be told what to do
    not by the likes of you

so with your careful schemes
    and your elaborate dreams
    she will come out quick
    spin you until you're sick

so in this one last play
    try and lead her astray
    if the past failed you
    when is the future due?

an intellectual man
    trying the best he can
    no slave to circumstance
    dumb luck and happenstance

but you are not that bright
    more bushel than a light
    accept your destiny
    and I'll keep you company

and just the two of us
    we won't make too much fuss
    we'll crack that paradox
    turn back those broken clocks

so in this one last play
    try and show me the way
    if life has made us wait
    why should we hesitate?

@richardyot sorry to be so late with feedback on this one. I was going great guns yesterday evening until SoundCloud broke. I really like this one, great production job with every instrument having its own space. You have really found your vocal sound on your last couple of tracks, I'm expecting harmonies and backing vocals next.

Thanks for the feedback on my track. The new guitar is a Hagstrom Viking Deluxe. Way to good an instrument for my limited playing but I will carry on trying.

• @orchardman thanks for the feedback. That looks a lovely guitar. One day, when I'm rich and I can afford to collect them, I would love to own a Gretsch of some description.

• @aaronpc said:
    @johnnygoodyear Reminds me of some of the later, more free-wheeling 70s Gainsbourg romps....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@aaronpc said:
    @johnnygoodyear Reminds me of some of the later, more free-wheeling 70s Gainsbourg romps....

Not a late Serge fan? C'est la vie

• @Bluepunk said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Bluepunk said:

@hellquist said:

I know the feeling Monzo ;) The missus was on resuscitation duties Saturday because of this scene. Couldn't breathe! It loops for ten hours but a minute will do. You're right, still fresh and hilarious.

Classic. Another blast from the past for me - a couple of friends in Nottingham had a place like that, they even had a Hammond organ (ex-Genesis), and a kitchen floor that you had to walk across quickly or your feet would stick to the lino.

• @hellquist said:
    I happened to make this tune on my first attempt of creating something in Gadget. Not much to say really, it is 100% Gadget. I had sort of avoided Gadget previously, though I (in pure app-addict fashion) obviously had bought it and most of the IAP's. I had avoided it due to its locked-down nature. Funnily enough, that is what now attracts me to it (though I welcome audio in when it arrives).

@hellquist, I like this tune. Great feel and sounds. That driving bass with all the improv over it, my feet were tapping. I think it's a bit long, not enough variety to drive it that long. But other than, Gadget seems to be working for you.

• @orchardman said:
    So I had a new guitar for Xmas and than a week or so ago I signed up to the new Noiiz service giving me access to loops and samples galore. And what have I got to show for it, 'sweet fa', nada, zip, complete and utter writers block.

As a result, I have dug into the archives and done a slight update to a track I originally recorded back in 2015. The complete antithesis to last months track. I present for your delectation, a sprawling space rock instrumental epic (that just means its a bit long so try not to fall asleep). Let us all journey to a new world.

Orchardman, I like it. You have enough textural changes to keep it driving forward. I think it's a bit long still. Also, the acoustic guitar that comes in around 5 minutes or so, playing lead, it needs something more. Needs to be a fatter tone, and probabaly needs some reverb, as it's kind of flattened by the heavy backing track.

• @richardyot said:
    My effort for the month. It's a bit wordy for me, I wrote the lyrics first (something I've never done before). I got a free app called Word Palette that made writing words the easiest it's ever been for me, so rather than labouring over the lyrics for days on end they just poured out of me, and that's never happened before. I then tried a few different melodies to find something that worked, and once I settled on something I liked I built the harmony around it, first on guitar and then later with synths.

The vocals are not pitch corrected, there's a couple of flat notes in there, but I used Pro R to emphasize the throaty quality of the voice, by using the blue EQ curve to exaggerate the mids (while dampening the highs) to accentuate the timbre of the voice. Other than that it's just the usual compression and a smidge of very short delay. Also didn't double-track because I thought the vocal sounded better without.

The synth riff is Alchemy GarageBand, drums are Darcy. Lyrics in the spoiler.

you're a thoughtful man
    with a careful plan
    meticulously made
    nothing left to fate

but fate's a funny thing
    she likes to play to win
    won't be told what to do
    not by the likes of you

so with your careful schemes
    and your elaborate dreams
    she will come out quick
    spin you until you're sick

so in this one last play
    try and lead her astray
    if the past failed you
    when is the future due?

an intellectual man
    trying the best he can
    no slave to circumstance
    dumb luck and happenstance

but you are not that bright
    more bushel than a light
    accept your destiny
    and I'll keep you company

and just the two of us
    we won't make too much fuss
    we'll crack that paradox
    turn back those broken clocks

so in this one last play
    try and show me the way
    if life has made us wait
    why should we hesitate?

@richardyot, I really like the mix, everything nicely in place, good sounds throughout. I think it's definitely a bit wordy, you're sounding like you're cramming things in in spots. The melody needs a bit more room and movement.

I'm not much of a songwriter. In the past, I always did the lyrics first. Some day I'll have to try again, with the melody first. I think that would be easier for me.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Something swift. Mostly an exercise in using ifretless sax in a non-sensual way. I am unhappy with the vocals, I don't mind them being muddled, that's pretty much in keeping with the overall idea, but they glitch in one or two places. Will probably redo them, but may not have time before the Amsterdam/Antwerp/Copenhagen trip. Hope so. Have added the lyrics below the bump. The video is a pretty good (if rough) explanation of what I was meaning...

Revelations

There's a dead sheep
    In the water source
    A man who believes
    His wife is a horse
    Memories of daylight
    And then the remorse
    All as I'm waiting here
    For love's true course
    (To reveal itself to me).

Nothing occurs here
    And no one can tell
    If the time of our living
    Is the size of our Hell
    But when I think of the knowing
    I'm sure it's as well
    That Adam and Eve
    Decided and fell
    When she revealed herself (to me).

I'm at the top of a corner
    On the side of some hill
    And I know if I want to
    Then surely I will
    Sing out for fortune
    When by mouth there is nil
    Compared to the falling
    This would be easier still
    And thus is gravity here
    Revealed now to me.

@JohnnyGoodyear, Frank Zappa lives. :D Vocal and feel were channeling Frank for me, and sounded great. Vocals were just fine to me, mix was most excellent.

• @aaronpc I like the melody and the whole mix is nice but I cannot understand the words

• @studs1966 I'm digging the baseline.. At first I didn't think I'd be into it cause the beat just said house but this is more 70 s funk . Good and interesting track

• edited March 2017

@DerekBuddemeyer great piano sounds . It's beautiful and powerful plenty of headroom yet full of it

• @bluepunk this track is well put dude, I like the backups , they make an instrument in their own, I always like your bass... And vocals are clear as day.. Good creativity and over all mix

• @technemedia it's more and more becoming and developing into something I was not expecting I'd say great mix and great production good job on keeping me interested

• edited March 2017

@Hennie love the lows really earthy ground shaking type shit.. Wish it built up into some heavy tomb drums, a bit too repetitive.i should talk

• @marliess love the vocals , very character type vibe. Somewhat circus comes to me orchestrated comedy

• @MonzoPro unfortunately the portability of my iPad keeps me going everywhere with it and running into trouble with the law.. Apparently I'm a criminal mostly always.. Like your track.

• @theconnactic I like the creative process you have made , the tapping sounds great .. I really like that type of improvised recording technique

• @JDubbel well for being your only one you chose a good one .. Stand up was a great choice in your synths and hand drums , like the mix of real drums in there

• @trackedout said:
    @MonzoPro unfortunately the portability of my iPad keeps me going everywhere with it and running into trouble with the law.. Apparently I'm a criminal mostly always.. Like your track.

?

• @MonzoPro said:

@Bluepunk said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Bluepunk said:

@hellquist said:

Classic. Another blast from the past for me - a couple of friends in Nottingham had a place like that, they even had a Hammond organ (ex-Genesis), and a kitchen floor that you had to walk across quickly or your feet would stick to the lino.

I feel that the carpet and Lino manufacturers from the 70's missed a trick. If they'd poured 15 pints of Bass Ale on each roll at quality control, it may have saved many hospital visits from drunken falls. Sticks like shit, that stuff did! Could drink at a 45 degree angle. Genesis? That must have some back story?

• @trackedout Thank you. Now, you're not in more bother are you? Going to send you a "how not to get caught" fact sheet! Keep smiling mucker.

• @Bluepunk apparently I need it..hopefully it gets thrown out. But it's definetly influenced me alot