Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Teenage Engineering OP-1 new update

13»

Comments

• Sold mine to get my ipad pro. Best decision ever.

• Usually, their generous discounts come w/ small print that excludes 99% of the top manufacturers.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Icepulse said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    This thread makes me want to spend $850 on an object I never knew I wanted. Is the OP-1 really unlike anything else? Are there other hardware sampler/synths that are comparable? Does a Volca (which costs around $150?) come close? Or an SP404? The Electribe 2?

Or is there an app that might do? The easy sampling is remarkable, and in the videos I've seen, the sound is just remarkable.

Well, getting sounds into a Volca is a pain, and honestly, it can't compete w/ the full spectrum of options the OP-1 offers. Electribe 2 (or 2S) has, as I understand it, a really sorry workflow, and the drilling down into the menu is really uninspiring. Same w/ the 404, although the 404 is worlds better for sample-based stuff than the Electribe.

If you're looking for linear recording, then, yeah... You're limited by the 6 min. But the OP-1 is really intended to be used w/ its looping features, in combination w/ the mutes and Modifiers and tape effects. In that way, you can have 4-6 songs happening in that 6 min. of tape, easily... Then you perform a live arrangement to Album.

It would've been brilliant to create a companion App for iOS / Android that allowed backup & restoring of Tape, Album and Presets, but we're not there yet.

I'd still sell the farm to replace a lost or destroyed OP-1.

Thanks. I've never owned a keyboard in my life, but this seems really inspiring. I've got an old Rick bass I could probably trade for one of these....

That got my attention - not a 4001/4003 is it? I've been after one of those for years...

• @MonzoPro said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Icepulse said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    This thread makes me want to spend $850 on an object I never knew I wanted. Is the OP-1 really unlike anything else? Are there other hardware sampler/synths that are comparable? Does a Volca (which costs around $150?) come close? Or an SP404? The Electribe 2?

Or is there an app that might do? The easy sampling is remarkable, and in the videos I've seen, the sound is just remarkable.

Well, getting sounds into a Volca is a pain, and honestly, it can't compete w/ the full spectrum of options the OP-1 offers. Electribe 2 (or 2S) has, as I understand it, a really sorry workflow, and the drilling down into the menu is really uninspiring. Same w/ the 404, although the 404 is worlds better for sample-based stuff than the Electribe.

If you're looking for linear recording, then, yeah... You're limited by the 6 min. But the OP-1 is really intended to be used w/ its looping features, in combination w/ the mutes and Modifiers and tape effects. In that way, you can have 4-6 songs happening in that 6 min. of tape, easily... Then you perform a live arrangement to Album.

It would've been brilliant to create a companion App for iOS / Android that allowed backup & restoring of Tape, Album and Presets, but we're not there yet.

Thanks. I've never owned a keyboard in my life, but this seems really inspiring. I've got an old Rick bass I could probably trade for one of these....

That got my attention - not a 4001/4003 is it? I've been after one of those for years...

It's a 4001, but it's from an unusual model year (1982? can't remember). It has dot inlays, and it's not stereo.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Icepulse said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

It's a 4001, but it's from an unusual model year (1982? can't remember). It has dot inlays, and it's not stereo.

Nice, I've always wanted one but the prices in the UK are about five times more than my bass budget.

• Blame it on Chris Squire.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Blame it on Chris Squire.

And Lemmy.

• edited December 2016

@vpich said:
    Sold mine to get my ipad pro. Best decision ever.

Please don't take this the wrong way... Not trying to target you or anyone specifically. I sometimes think of just getting rid of my hardware and going with a bigger iPad, but then I get this fear that in a few years the iPad will no longer be be able to upgrade the OS and there will come this app that I HAVE to have but only works on a NEW iPad and my iPad I won't be able to sell for that much because everyone is getting rid of theirs to get a NEW one... Then I think I have had my OP-1 for over 3 years and it don't need to be upgraded and you can fix and replace most of it components now and I can still sell it for what I bought it for....

Is it just my fears??

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    And Geddy!

I saw Rush on the Permanent Waves tour - amazing bassist.

I just love that Rickenbacker sound, there's nothing else like it.

• @Telengard said:

@vpich said:
    Sold mine to get my ipad pro. Best decision ever.

Please don't take this the wrong way... Not trying to target you or anyone specifically. I sometimes think of just getting rid of my hardware and going with a bigger iPad, but then I get this fear that in a few years the iPad will no longer be be able to upgrade the OS and there will come this app that I HAVE to have but only works on a NEW iPad and my iPad I won't be able to sell for that much because everyone is getting rid of theirs to get a NEW one... Then I think I have had my OP-1 for over 3 years and it don't need to be upgraded and you can fix and replace most of it components now and I can still sell it for what I bought it for....

Is it just my fears??

no problem, that is valid, but i will continue using iphones and ipads and am pretty sure at least my most used apps will continue updating and getting better.
    i originally bought the op-1 so i could carry it with me always and work on bits to add to my productions, and also for jamming. loved it, but at the end of the day, the lack of quantization and "normal" sequencers killed it for me other than must messing around. obviously i hear stuff some talented people do on it and i'm impressed but it's very cumbersome to work, coming from a computer background. plus limited fx, and amount that can be used at once, space, amount of tracks, etc. so i swapped and then comparing sounds from the different apps i have i realized that not only could i get equal and/or better sounds from the ipad, i had more and better fx, auria pro, etc. plus integrated dropbox, etc...

then i started comparing my blofeld to the ipad and out it went, my elektron analog rytm went, elektron octatrack, my microbrute, my yamaha an1x. still keeping some hardware, my elektron analog keys (which i love) , my heavy 88 key piano/controller, tb-3, but the other stuff seemed redundant. to be honest though i barely use the hardware anymore, totally engrossed in ios. if i was single, without kids, etc i might think differently because i could hole up in my studio more and get more mileage from hardware, but last night for example i was in bed with my daughter who wasn't feeling well and instead of reading about my blofeld, i was tweaking drum sounds for my current production. eventually i will probably cycle back, i cycle a ton.

• @vpich said:

no problem, that is valid, but i will continue using iphones and ipads and am pretty sure at least my most used apps will continue updating and getting better.
    i originally bought the op-1 so i could carry it with me always and work on bits to add to my productions, and also for jamming. loved it, but at the end of the day, the lack of quantization and "normal" sequencers killed it for me other than must messing around. obviously i hear stuff some talented people do on it and i'm impressed but it's very cumbersome to work, coming from a computer background. plus limited fx, and amount that can be used at once, space, amount of tracks, etc. so i swapped and then comparing sounds from the different apps i have i realized that not only could i get equal and/or better sounds from the ipad, i had more and better fx, auria pro, etc. plus integrated dropbox, etc...

then i started comparing my blofeld to the ipad and out it went, my elektron analog rytm went, elektron octatrack, my microbrute, my yamaha an1x. still keeping some hardware, my elektron analog keys (which i love) , my heavy 88 key piano/controller, tb-3, but the other stuff seemed redundant. to be honest though i barely use the hardware anymore, totally engrossed in ios. if i was single, without kids, etc i might think differently because i could hole up in my studio more and get more mileage from hardware, but last night for example i was in bed with my daughter who wasn't feeling well and instead of reading about my blofeld, i was tweaking drum sounds for my current production. eventually i will probably cycle back, i cycle a ton.

Makes sense as I know I can do everything I need and more on my iPad or even my iPhone alone. Or my PC for that matter. I have gotten rid of other hardware as I just want to spend time really learning only a few pieces. But I am afraid to put all my eggs in one basket as they say. The OP-1 can't do everything. I just enjoy that it forces me to be really creative.

I guess it really comes down to the opinion that everyone's needs/wants are different and there is not any one perfect solution or app or device that is the "best" for everyone.

• Can anyone comment on the OP-1 vs CIrcuit. Especially in the context of kids learning music concepts. Setting aside the huge price difference. What does one excel at vs the other and vice versa?