Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Teenage Engineering OP-1 new update

Comments

• @Icepulse said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    This thread makes me want to spend $850 on an object I never knew I wanted. Is the OP-1 really unlike anything else? Are there other hardware sampler/synths that are comparable? Does a Volca (which costs around $150?) come close? Or an SP404? The Electribe 2?

Or is there an app that might do? The easy sampling is remarkable, and in the videos I've seen, the sound is just remarkable.

Well, getting sounds into a Volca is a pain, and honestly, it can't compete w/ the full spectrum of options the OP-1 offers. Electribe 2 (or 2S) has, as I understand it, a really sorry workflow, and the drilling down into the menu is really uninspiring. Same w/ the 404, although the 404 is worlds better for sample-based stuff than the Electribe.

If you're looking for linear recording, then, yeah... You're limited by the 6 min. But the OP-1 is really intended to be used w/ its looping features, in combination w/ the mutes and Modifiers and tape effects. In that way, you can have 4-6 songs happening in that 6 min. of tape, easily... Then you perform a live arrangement to Album.

It would've been brilliant to create a companion App for iOS / Android that allowed backup & restoring of Tape, Album and Presets, but we're not there yet.

I'd still sell the farm to replace a lost or destroyed OP-1.

Thanks. I've never owned a keyboard in my life, but this seems really inspiring. I've got an old Rick bass I could probably trade for one of these....

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Icepulse said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    This thread makes me want to spend $850 on an object I never knew I wanted. Is the OP-1 really unlike anything else? Are there other hardware sampler/synths that are comparable? Does a Volca (which costs around $150?) come close? Or an SP404? The Electribe 2?

Or is there an app that might do? The easy sampling is remarkable, and in the videos I've seen, the sound is just remarkable.

Well, getting sounds into a Volca is a pain, and honestly, it can't compete w/ the full spectrum of options the OP-1 offers. Electribe 2 (or 2S) has, as I understand it, a really sorry workflow, and the drilling down into the menu is really uninspiring. Same w/ the 404, although the 404 is worlds better for sample-based stuff than the Electribe.

If you're looking for linear recording, then, yeah... You're limited by the 6 min. But the OP-1 is really intended to be used w/ its looping features, in combination w/ the mutes and Modifiers and tape effects. In that way, you can have 4-6 songs happening in that 6 min. of tape, easily... Then you perform a live arrangement to Album.

It would've been brilliant to create a companion App for iOS / Android that allowed backup & restoring of Tape, Album and Presets, but we're not there yet.

Thanks. I've never owned a keyboard in my life, but this seems really inspiring. I've got an old Rick bass I could probably trade for one of these....

The first (6) clips here are all 100% OP-1. I'm pretty committed to hip hop, so you'll find that most of it is sample based, but you'll definitely hear some OP-1 synths in there.

• @Icepulse said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I can't resist chiming in again. (If it wasn't evident from my comment before, I'm a hobbyist and a novice, but I love playing music and recording music. I wish I had more time to do it and to learn more about sound engineering.) Anyhow:

I have a volca sample, an electribe 2, and an OP-1. I like all three, but for very different reasons.

I find the volca sample and electribe 2 fun for jamming. I have three other volcas (beats, bass, and keys), and I sync them all to the sample and electribe 2, run them all through a mixer, and I go to town. Fun, fun, fun!

Sometimes, before I start messing around with all these things at once, I program my own patterns into the electribe 2. I can't do that on the fly, but if a dummy like me can figure it out, it ain't too tough. I agree it's kind of a pain getting sounds into the volca sample, but I only ever rotate a handful of 'em in and out- I like most of the ones it came with. It's easier to mess around on the fly with a pattern in the volca sample than in the electribe 2, but when I have all this gear going at once, there's no shortage of knobs and buttons to mess with, so it's not like I feel constrained.

Now, the OP-1 is just different. I've used it in jamming, and it's great, but its real value for me is for songwriting (and/or arranging, and/or recording). Yeah, you only have 6 minutes of tape. So what. Nothing- and I mean nothing- enables me to just focus on making music like that little OP-1. The interface and workflow take a little bit of getting used to, but the learning curve is not steep at all (if a dummy like me etc. etc. etc.). And once you're used to it, Katie bar the door. Your fingers just start flying around that thing, it's like it gets out of its own way and lets you start sculpting sound with your bare hands. And if you want more than 6 minutes, it's easy as pie to load what you've done on the OP-1 into a DAW and then extend it (and if a dummy like me blah blah blah....)

And it's portable- really portable- you can't plug it in to a wall even if you wanted to, and you can take the thing just about anywhere. It also automatically saves everything you do, so if you get, say, seven free minutes in the evening to play with it (and I'm doing well if I get that much), you can tweak or add something, then abruptly turn it off, and whenever you come back to it the next day or the next week, everything is just as you left it - may not sound like much, but that's a big deal for me.

Definitely the thing I'd want if I had to pick something to be stranded on a desert island with.

And no, I don't have any affiliation with teenage engineering. I just really appreciate technology that helps me accomplish what I want to use it for. For me, the OP-1 is all that.

• @Icepulse said:
    To be honest, of the three, (Volca Sampler, SP-404 and Electribe), I only had the first two. Returned both. Check around for video and written reviews on the E2 / E2S.... You'll get the idea.

Also, New MPC Standalones are in the wings, with one (the "Live") coming in @ around the same price as an OP. No OFFICIAL announcement, yet, but it's a pretty sure thing. FCC license sites have leaked them. A Standalone that emulates the MPC Touch workflow would be amazing. That's how it appears to be shaking out.

I have an electribe 2 and really like it. The only problem is power, you can have 16 tracks, but as soon as you go over 4 or 5 it ends up dropping notes...frustrating when you get something going and then have to start stripping it back.

• I have been through a few bits of gear trying to find what works best for me and I also would get rid of everything else before the OP-1. I have had it for over 3 years and I still find new ways of doing things with it. It really has made me a better musician.

It really took me a while to figure out how I would bond with it and was going to move on from it. Now I keep finding new ways to use it and I can't find anything quite like it for inspiring me and forcing me to kind of let go, if that makes sense. I am a programmer and sometimes with music I force things to be too precise. The OP-1 helps me feel the music in a more creative way. I couldn't see myself parting with it now.

The tape on the OP-1 is making me better at creating music. I find that with other electronic instruments and DAWs that I would go over and over my sequences, sound design, etc, trying to make things perfect. I find it easier to just create on the OP-1. I can go back later and use what I created elsewhere if needed.

• I would have bought OP-1 if it would have Stereo Audio.
    Since its allover Mono Sound Output , nothing for me for that high money Investment.

• edited December 2016

@HighEscape said:
    I would have bought OP-1 if it would have Stereo Audio.
    Since its allover Mono Sound Output , nothing for me for that high money Investment.

Each of the 4 tape tracks are mono, but each can be panned left and right and the output of the OP-1 IS stereo. The album records in stereo. The master FXs are all stereo as well.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

I thought the same thing initially, but then I added up the cost of the individual pieces needed to do everything the OP-1 does (Electribe+SP-404+Volca+a MIDI keyboard controller) and you end up spending more than $850 and loosing the tight integration and workflow of a standalone unit. $850 is admittedly a lot but there is always Ebay and also Musician's Friends 15% off holiday deals (which is what I did $721,free shipping, no tax).

• yep, an ipad mini running Samplr, Patterning, etc..is the next best thing if you don't need the tactility or uniformed integration, but there are still allot of great options as far as controllers go for the iPad as well. I was headed for the op-1 until samplr

• @kobamoto said:
    yep, an ipad mini running Samplr, Patterning, etc..is the next best thing if you don't need the tactility or uniformed integration, but there are still allot of great options as far as controllers go for the iPad as well. I was headed for the op-1 until samplr

But it's the integration that keeps you working creatively 100% of the time, instead of a 60-40 split between creation and configuration / cross-app pasting.

• @Icepulse said:

@kobamoto said:
    yep, an ipad mini running Samplr, Patterning, etc..is the next best thing if you don't need the tactility or uniformed integration, but there are still allot of great options as far as controllers go for the iPad as well. I was headed for the op-1 until samplr

But it's the integration that keeps you working creatively 100% of the time, instead of a 60-40 split between creation and configuration / cross-app pasting.

And I have both an OP-1 and an iPad w/ Samplr, Cubasis, Patterning, Sector, Animoog, Beathawk, Turnado, Egoist, etc. etc.

I love the iPad, but it honestly best serves me as an array of instruments that feed my OP.

• Love my iPad too, but You can't check your email ( or this forum!) on the op-1 ;)

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Love my iPad too, but You can't check your email ( or this forum!) on the op-1 ;)

best feature of the op

• edited December 2016

@Icepulse said:

@kobamoto said:

agreed, but even on the iPad I** don't** do all that hopping around, that's why I'm always begging devs to not force me to open another app just to trim a loop, especially if I have to go out of a sampler app to do it ffs,

• I think that was the point of the original comment :)

• atrocious workflow ,incredible instrument for samplist, unless they don't like atrocious workflows

• @kobamoto said:
    atrocious workflow ,incredible instrument for samplist, unless they don't like atrocious workflows

Lots of people like "atrocious workflows" myself included but it's actually a really good workflow once you understand the octatrack.

• edited December 2016

oh I understand the octatrack, returned mine, and yes I know that some people love it's workflow as well, some people love bm2's workflow too, it's just not for me... I'm more of a Samplr workflow type... but I am interested in every workflow from every sampling beat machine. I might not want to use it myself but stuff like that video is T.V. for me.

• In case anyone is considering purchasing an OP-1 now is a good time. Guitar Center has a 20% off promotion going, Musician's Friend (the parent company) also will do a price match. Instead of $849 a brand new OP-1 can be purchased for $679.

• @Dham said:
    In case anyone is considering purchasing an OP-1 now is a good time. Guitar Center has a 20% off promotion going, Musician's Friend (the parent company) also will do a price match. Instead of $849 a brand new OP-1 can be purchased for $679.

!!!
    For how long, I wonder?

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Dham said:
    In case anyone is considering purchasing an OP-1 now is a good time. Guitar Center has a 20% off promotion going, Musician's Friend (the parent company) also will do a price match. Instead of $849 a brand new OP-1 can be purchased for $679.

!!!
    For how long, I wonder?

I have a weird itch to buy this thing, although i am 100% certain i shouldn´t, especially with the Deepmind 12 looming.

• The current promotion is Valid thru 12/25/16.

Note: Musicians's "Friend" would not price match. They said they couldn't match the price of a "coupon", it would have to be a sale price or price reduction. Go figure.

• @RulesOfBlazon said:

@Icepulse said:

I've got nothing but praise for the genius behind the OP-1, and here's why. Until you MASTER the workflow, all you can see are the limitations. Then on the day you click w/ your unique way of working with it, and all you see are creative opportunities and solutions. My hands are a blur on that thing. And if I ever had to replace it, there's not a single piece of gear I own that I wouldn't sell to finance a new OP-1.

It's a nod to the Tascam days, where you made it happen by thinking about it. I'm old school.

Well said. Exactly why I have such a special love for the OP-1. Unleashes my creativity like nothing else. Plus, I feel comfortable with my "unique way of working with it"- it does not inhibit me like so many apps do (through no fault of their own, to be sure, but I often feel inhibited or somewhat crippled by my near-complete absence of knowledge of sound engineering, MIDI, etc.). The OP-1 is absolutely liberating.

Couldn't agree any more..

• @Dham said:
    The current promotion is Valid thru 12/25/16.

Note: Musicians's "Friend" would not price match. They said they couldn't match the price of a "coupon", it would have to be a sale price or price reduction. Go figure.

Very tough to justify this purchase right before Christmas. Waiting on word from a raise/promotion...you'd think they might hurry it up around the holidays, right?

• @Dham said:

Can't seem to find any info on this online. I've been eyeballing the op-1 for a month or so and would definitely pick it up at that price. Is this just an in store thing?

• very tempting

• @otem_rellik said:

@Dham said:

Can't seem to find any info on this online. I've been eyeballing the op-1 for a month or so and would definitely pick it up at that price. Is this just an in store thing?

Here's the code for getting 20% Off of any purchase of $49 or more: 20% Off
    your total purchase of $49 or more
    Valid thru 12/25/16
    t174a938cmsfd

Also I just realized that Guitar Center is actually the parent company of Musician's Friend, I thought it was the other way around.

• @Dham said:

How do you get the %20 off? I see Guitar Center says they have it in stock at a nearby location to me, but it's showing full price. Is the promotion specifically for the OP-1 ? Googling hasn't turned anything up.

• @srcer said:

@Dham said:

How do you get the %20 off? I see Guitar Center says they have it in stock at a nearby location to me, but it's showing full price. Is the promotion specifically for the OP-1 ? Googling hasn't turned anything up.

You add the item to your shopping cart at the regular price. From there you will see a box to enter the promotional code. Then it will reduce the total cost by 20%.