Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Teenage Engineering OP-1 new update

Finally a new update for the OP-1. I downloaded this and updated my OP-1 and the new features are awesome.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/11/25/teenage-engineering-op-1-updated-with-new-operating-system/

Comments

• I can't wait for my tax return. GASing so hard

• edited November 2016

I'm still running the Beta from last week I suppose I should update to the official release.

• edited November 2016

why-o-why-o-why won't they put a chopshop in the op-1, I'd get one in a heartbeat! They don't seem to be resistant to sampling, sample editing, and sample sequencing just resistant to much better and more accessible ways of doing it :( The op-1 could be the Samplr of the hardware world so easily.

• @kobamoto said:
    why-o-why-o-why won't they put a chopshop in the op-1, I'd get one in a heartbeat! They don't seem to be resistant to sampling, sample editing, and sample sequencing just resistant to much better and more accessible ways of doing it :( The op-1 could be the Samplr of the hardware world so easily.

It already chops samples .

• edited November 2016

not in the way that i described, the dev says they don't want to do it. holding out for a mind change one day.

• @kobamoto said:
    not in the way that i described, the dev says they don't want to do it. holding out for a mind change one day.

I'm not seeing how you described it, but the nature of the OP-1 is that you bend to its workflow; not the other way around. I work almost exclusively on the OP-1, and 90% of it is sample-based. There's very little I can't achieve.

• @Icepulse said:

@kobamoto said:

I'm not seeing how you described it, but the nature of the OP-1 is that you bend to its workflow; not the other way around. I work almost exclusively on the OP-1, and 90% of it is sample-based. There's very little I can't achieve.

exactly I wish it was a little more flexible, the dev says they'll think about slicers with transient detection, multiple slice params and layering but not at this time.

• @Icepulse said:

@kobamoto said:

Funny, I am 90% synth-based with mine. And I agree there is very little that it can't achieve once you get the OP-1 mind-set down.

• I totally agree with you guys perspective when looking at it from that perspective. The same could be said for the impc pro app, but I still have wishes for the app, not unlike teenage retronyms is not so keen on them though.

• edited November 2016

@kobamoto said:
    I totally agree with you guys perspective when looking at it from that perspective. The same could be said for the impc pro app, but I still have wishes for the app, not unlike teenage retronyms is not so keen on them though.

The main difference is it seems as though the OP-1 is teenage engineering's baby and they keep updating it to make it better without charging you anything else and Retronyms just puts something out and then seems to drop it without finishing anything before they are on to selling something else. Retronyms already has a bit of my money and I still don't think I have an app from them that is finished from the point of only having a few bugs left.

• @Telengard said:

@kobamoto said:
    I totally agree with you guys perspective when looking at it from that perspective. The same could be said for the impc pro app, but I still have wishes for the app, not unlike teenage retronyms is not so keen on them though.

The main difference is it seems as though the OP-1 is teenage engineering's baby and they keep updating it to make it better without charging you anything else and Retronyms just puts something out and then seems to drop it without finishing anything before they are on to selling something else. Retronyms already has a bit of my money and I still don't think I have an app from them that is finished from the point of only having a few bugs left.

an altogether different issue than my analogy, but true none the less.

• @kombamoto

I think I understand what you are getting at now. There are a bunch of people who want TE to open source the OS so they can make updates like you are looking for.

• yep, don't think it'll ever happen while simultaneously hoping... such a great instrument

• edited December 2016

@kobamoto said:

@Telengard said:

@kobamoto said:

an altogether different issue than my analogy, but true none the less

Bullseye. The OP-1 works. iMPC is a mess, and continues to be. If it isn't drifting chop points, it's idiocy like not being able to monitor a line level source while sampling! Trust me. I'm the fool that dropped a buckfiddy to get the MPC Element.

As far as transient detection, well... That's what your ears and eyes are for. Layering? Just do a second pass.

I'll pony up for an MPC Live, for sure. But I've got nothing but praise for the genius behind the OP-1, and here's why. Until you MASTER the workflow, all you can see are the limitations. Then on the day you click w/ your unique way of working with it, and all you see are creative opportunities and solutions. My hands are a blur on that thing. And if I ever had to replace it, there's not a single piece of gear I own that I wouldn't sell to finance a new OP-1.

It's a nod to the Tascam days, where you made it happen by thinking about it. I'm old school.

• The OP-1 is a lot of fun to use. The hands-on controls and color coded interface makes navigation and editing a breeze. It is like having a pocket sized Roland Fantom. It also makes a great controller for Ipad apps.

• A year and a half ago, Retronyms updated iMPC Pro to allow export to MPC desktop software. Great! So I finished a project, exported to my MAC, and fired it up on MPC software. Surprise, surprise. NONE of the chop points were retained on any sample. So every note was the full sample triggering. I hounded them on YouTube. "Oh, just trim every Pad as a new sample!" was their solution.

Sorry. I don't have 40 minutes to spare, with EVERY sample I use across 16-32 pads, to start lopping off the ends.

I encounter none of those inspiration-crushing obstacles w/ an OP. And that's the magic of it.

End gush.

• portastudios were sweet, I used to have one, still have and use one of these today http://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/large/520431-audiotechnica_atrmx64_4_track_cassette_recorder_6_channel_mixer.jpg

but I would love still love it if T put in a sample slicer... it wouldn't even fudge the workflow

• on the other hand, its the lack of one that got me into iOS/Samplr in the first place so things ended up pretty good I guess

• @kobamoto said:
    on the other hand, its the lack of one that got me into iOS/Samplr in the first place so things ended up pretty good I guess

Samplr is the greatest example of what the iPad could achieve, as far as I'm concerned.

• what do you think about Playground, it's the little things like this that get me. If it only had sample import !

• @Icepulse said:

I've got nothing but praise for the genius behind the OP-1, and here's why. Until you MASTER the workflow, all you can see are the limitations. Then on the day you click w/ your unique way of working with it, and all you see are creative opportunities and solutions. My hands are a blur on that thing. And if I ever had to replace it, there's not a single piece of gear I own that I wouldn't sell to finance a new OP-1.

It's a nod to the Tascam days, where you made it happen by thinking about it. I'm old school.

Well said. Exactly why I have such a special love for the OP-1. Unleashes my creativity like nothing else. Plus, I feel comfortable with my "unique way of working with it"- it does not inhibit me like so many apps do (through no fault of their own, to be sure, but I often feel inhibited or somewhat crippled by my near-complete absence of knowledge of sound engineering, MIDI, etc.). The OP-1 is absolutely liberating.

• @Icepulse said:
    A year and a half ago, Retronyms updated iMPC Pro to allow export to MPC desktop software. Great! So I finished a project, exported to my MAC, and fired it up on MPC software. Surprise, surprise. NONE of the chop points were retained on any sample. So every note was the full sample triggering. I hounded them on YouTube. "Oh, just trim every Pad as a new sample!" was their solution.

Sorry. I don't have 40 minutes to spare, with EVERY sample I use across 16-32 pads, to start lopping off the ends.

I encounter none of those inspiration-crushing obstacles w/ an OP. And that's the magic of it.

End gush.

One thing that may be helpful is that in order to keep the exported sample chops intact, you have to edit each sample after it has been chopped to a pad and select "Discard Ends". Otherwise it will copy the original sample to each pad during the project export.

• @Dham said:

@Icepulse said:
    A year and a half ago, Retronyms updated iMPC Pro to allow export to MPC desktop software. Great! So I finished a project, exported to my MAC, and fired it up on MPC software. Surprise, surprise. NONE of the chop points were retained on any sample. So every note was the full sample triggering. I hounded them on YouTube. "Oh, just trim every Pad as a new sample!" was their solution.

End gush.

One thing that may be helpful is that in order to keep the exported sample chops intact, you have to edit each sample after it has been chopped to a pad and select "Discard Ends". Otherwise it will copy the original sample to each pad during the project export.

Precisely the thing I said was a giant pain in the ass, that took too much time, and should've been addressed in the ensuing year and a half. If you're going to do export to MPC software, do it right.

• @Icepulse said:

@Dham said:

@Icepulse said:

End gush.

Precisely the thing I said was a giant pain in the ass, that took too much time, and should've been addressed in the ensuing year and a half. If you're going to do export to MPC software, do it right.

Oh, gotcha. I thought you were talking about trimming the pads on the desktop. In any event, I wonder if they fixed it in the latest release that came out a month or so ago. I'll have to give it a try to see if they fixed it. Otherwise its time to once again Release the Hounds.

• @Dham said:

@Icepulse said:

@Dham said:

@Icepulse said:

End gush.

Oh, gotcha. I thought you were talking about trimming the pads on the desktop. In any event, I wonder if they fixed it in the latest release that came out a month or so ago. I'll have to give it a try to see if they fixed it. Otherwise its time to once again Release the Hounds.

Pretty sure they didn't.

• This thread makes me want to spend $850 on an object I never knew I wanted. Is the OP-1 really unlike anything else? Are there other hardware sampler/synths that are comparable? Does a Volca (which costs around $150?) come close? Or an SP404? The Electribe 2?

Or is there an app that might do? The easy sampling is remarkable, and in the videos I've seen, the sound is just remarkable.

• It's a VERY unique workflow. Just the whole concept of everything you do needing to be recorded to a virtual tape machine to be saved is unlike anything I can think of (outside of a real tape machine). I did a review of the OP-1 awhile back if anyone is on the fence about it:

I should note that I sold my OP-1 a few months after making that review. Neat little unit, but I bought mine mainly for on the go music making, and ultimately the iPhone/iPad was just more convenient for me. Plus being limited to only 6 minutes (or was it 4?) of recording time made it hard to work on more than one song at a time like I normally do. Neat little unit, but it wasn't essential to my workflow.

• @Tarekith said:
    It's a VERY unique workflow. Just the whole concept of everything you do needing to be recorded to a virtual tape machine to be saved is unlike anything I can think of (outside of a real tape machine). I did a review of the OP-1 awhile back if anyone is on the fence about it:

I should note that I sold my OP-1 a few months after making that review. Neat little unit, but I bought mine mainly for on the go music making, and ultimately the iPhone/iPad was just more convenient for me. Plus being limited to only 6 minutes (or was it 4?) of recording time made it hard to work on more than one song at a time like I normally do. Neat little unit, but it wasn't essential to my workflow.

This is my biggest gripe with it, only having one song on the go at a time. You can use the tape and make several looped tunes on one tape, but you can't use the global fx unless they are all the same tempo (with delays anyway).

• edited December 2016

@ExAsperis99 said:
    This thread makes me want to spend $850 on an object I never knew I wanted. Is the OP-1 really unlike anything else? Are there other hardware sampler/synths that are comparable? Does a Volca (which costs around $150?) come close? Or an SP404? The Electribe 2?

Or is there an app that might do? The easy sampling is remarkable, and in the videos I've seen, the sound is just remarkable.

Well, getting sounds into a Volca is a pain, and honestly, it can't compete w/ the full spectrum of options the OP-1 offers. Electribe 2 (or 2S) has, as I understand it, a really sorry workflow, and the drilling down into the menu is really uninspiring. Same w/ the 404, although the 404 is worlds better for sample-based stuff than the Electribe.

If you're looking for linear recording, then, yeah... You're limited by the 6 min. But the OP-1 is really intended to be used w/ its looping features, in combination w/ the mutes and Modifiers and tape effects. In that way, you can have 4-6 songs happening in that 6 min. of tape, easily... Then you perform a live arrangement to Album.

It would've been brilliant to create a companion App for iOS / Android that allowed backup & restoring of Tape, Album and Presets, but we're not there yet.

I'd still sell the farm to replace a lost or destroyed OP-1.

• To be honest, of the three, (Volca Sampler, SP-404 and Electribe), I only had the first two. Returned both. Check around for video and written reviews on the E2 / E2S.... You'll get the idea.

Also, New MPC Standalones are in the wings, with one (the "Live") coming in @ around the same price as an OP. No OFFICIAL announcement, yet, but it's a pretty sure thing. FCC license sites have leaked them. A Standalone that emulates the MPC Touch workflow would be amazing. That's how it appears to be shaking out.