Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Addictive Pro - New from VirSyn

Comments

• edited September 2016

@firejan82 said:

@1P18 said:

Again, upon looking at it more, maybe they did add their own twist to it. Looks like maybe they did?

Yes, seems like there's a bunch of cool stuff that you can do here that you can not in Fugue Machine and vice versa.

After another hour or so's play with it, I'd stick my neck out and say Addictive Pro does stuff that you can't do in any other iOS synth on my iPad. I made some very lovely sounds, evolving via polyrhythmic mutitracked arps which would be impossible to do with any other synth I own (except maybe iSEM as multiple AU's in Aum, triggered by Fugue...but obviously a lot more hassle to setup).

@ExAsperis99 said:
    It's always illuminating to hear people rave about the sounds of something. I listen to that demo, and I'm left completely cold by the presets. (why would anybody want to sound like an Alan Parsons knockoff? But I joke.)

I use the presets as a starting point - a few taps of the randomisers throws in a few surprises, then when you get a good one you can delve into the guts of the synth for a final polish.

I wouldn't say I'm raving about it - I'm having difficulty creating separate regions in the arp for example - but I'm happy I bought it, and it will definitely get some use. Which is more than I can say about some of my other recent purchases....

• @MonzoPro said:

@firejan82 said:

@1P18 said:

Again, upon looking at it more, maybe they did add their own twist to it. Looks like maybe they did?

Yes, seems like there's a bunch of cool stuff that you can do here that you can not in Fugue Machine and vice versa.

After another hour or so's play with it, I'd stick my neck out and say Addictive Pro does stuff that you can't do in any other iOS synth on my iPad. I made some very lovely sounds, evolving via polyrhythmic mutitracked arps which would be impossible to do with any other synth I own (except maybe iSEM as multiple AU's in Aum, triggered by Fugue...but obviously a lot more hassle to setup).

@ExAsperis99 said:
    It's always illuminating to hear people rave about the sounds of something. I listen to that demo, and I'm left completely cold by the presets. (why would anybody want to sound like an Alan Parsons knockoff? But I joke.)

I use the presets as a starting point - a few taps of the randomisers throws in a few surprises, then when you get a good one you can delve into the guts of the synth for a final polish.

I wouldn't say I'm raving about it - I'm having difficulty creating separate regions in the arp for example - but I'm happy I bought it, and it will definitely get some use. Which is more than I can say about some of my other recent purchases....

I feel that I will inevitably be retiring some apps that I have been on the fence about after this app. It checks alot of boxes in a really sexy and quality way of synth on IOS.

• @nick said:

yes, this one has four playheads just like fugue machine, but much of the fugue typical characteristics are missing, like invert melody or reverse direction. instead, you can take a section of the arp for esch part individually and thus do poly rhythmic stuff. so it is really different while obviously having similarities.

Cool, I did not realize you could select different regions of the sequence per arp. This really is an interesting and highly "addictive" app to have fun with!

• I have the original Addictive app but I thought I'd purchase Addictive Pro and the sounds are absolutely sweet and very atmospheric. It's just a pity it doesn't support AU-X but it's still a great unique sounding synth.

• @Tritonman said:

@nick said:

yes, this one has four playheads just like fugue machine, but much of the fugue typical characteristics are missing, like invert melody or reverse direction. instead, you can take a section of the arp for esch part individually and thus do poly rhythmic stuff. so it is really different while obviously having similarities.

Cool, I did not realize you could select different regions of the sequence per arp. This really is an interesting and highly "addictive" app to have fun with!

Watch you don't catch a habit...............

• @RustiK said:

@MonzoPro said:

@firejan82 said:

@1P18 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I feel that I will inevitably be retiring some apps that I have been on the fence about after this app. It checks alot of boxes in a really sexy and quality way of synth on IOS.

Yeah it was the arp that sold it to me - I use Fugue Machine a lot to trigger multiple synths, loaded up in Aum. But it takes time to setup, there's always something bombing out in the chain halfway through, and lots of switching from app to app to tweak things. AP does it all in one thing - you can even record with it so you don't have to link it up to Aum or a DAW.

• Does anybody have a quick video of the use of the arp?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Does anybody have a quick video of the use of the arp?

its basically the unholy son of Fugue machine and the usual Virsyn appregiator.

• edited September 2016

@Artmuzz said:
    I have the original Addictive app but I thought I'd purchase Addictive Pro and the sounds are absolutely sweet and very atmospheric. It's just a pity it doesn't support AU-X but it's still a great unique sounding synth.

The Dev literally mentioned that AU-X and Link is on the roadmap. and considering they just added Link to Laplace,Mersynne and Lorentz i truely believe them. Confused Virsyn for Iceworks. nevermind this line....

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Does anybody have a quick video of the use of the arp?

The dev posted a vid earlier in this thread, about halfway through I think

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Artmuzz said:
    I have the original Addictive app but I thought I'd purchase Addictive Pro and the sounds are absolutely sweet and very atmospheric. It's just a pity it doesn't support AU-X but it's still a great unique sounding synth.

The Dev literally mentioned that AU-X and Link is on the roadmap. and considering they just added Link to Laplace,Mersynne and Lorentz i truely believe them.

Cool! I'm looking forward to AU-X support on Addictive Pro. I'm hoping more apps like Korg iM1 and Sunrizer get AU-X support too.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Artmuzz said:

The Dev literally mentioned that AU-X and Link is on the roadmap. and considering they just added Link to Laplace,Mersynne and Lorentz i truely believe them.

Those are IceWorks apps, not Virsyn, alas.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Artmuzz said:

whoops. good point. my bad DX
    still. makes the iceworks apps so much more useful now.

• An hour or so playing with this, and I'm delighted. Like Fugue Machine, yet not like. What I could really do with now is a detailed demo of how to actually get the best out of this app. Any technomages here fancy putting one together while I recharge the iPad?

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Artmuzz said:

whoops. good point. my bad DX
    still. makes the iceworks apps so much more useful now.

I like how you make lemonade out of lemons!

• @Nkersov said:
    An hour or so playing with this, and I'm delighted. Like Fugue Machine, yet not like. What I could really do with now is a detailed demo of how to actually get the best out of this app. Any technomages here fancy putting one together while I recharge the iPad?

I'm getting the hang of it via hours of dedicated twiddling and experimentation - I know mostly what buttons to press to make things do things but I'm not really sure why.

I love the all-in-one approach though, you can get lost in it for hours.

• Addictive Pro does cheesy organ emulations with aplomb :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@PhilW said:
    Nothing Ive seen yet has really helped get my head around its sound architecture (I don't have it yet). Are there any videos that show that or is the manual available?

Ok here's my rough and maybe slightly off take:

You have varies OSC configurations from single to six, FM configs, or Ringmod configs.
    These use two waveforms a and b (which are shown as harmonic mappings), five preset or draw your own. Harmonics can be chosen in different ways.

You have two spectrum filters a and b, that correspond to the a and b waves. There are essentially one corresponding to each OSC and are split into modulation of odd and even sets.

Modulation further gives you blend between a and b sets, a multimode filter, noise mod options, pitch and level etc.

Comprehensive ARP and FX sections round out the basics.

Easy to use X-Y pads for the main page and selective random functions.

Once getting used to the layout, it's easy to use certain functions to mold or tweak sounds into new creations. Even just changing the OSC configuration or the Harmonic set used can change move your sounds into new areas to explore.

Hope this helps. I know it's not technically spot on, but enough for most people to get going creating new sounds.

Thanks for doing that. I think it was the reference to 12 oscillators that threw me, I was thinking that there were twelve separate waves but its basically two, and then up to six oscs for each.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

That sounds good to me!

• Once 'thing' that differentiates the Arp in Addictive Pro from Fugue Machine is that each of the playheads can use it's own 'segment' of the 32-steps meaning it is possible to have different 'melodies' for each of the playheads.

What is missing though is 'arp direction'(forward, backwards and ping-pong).
    The 'key no' can be used to alter the read-out from they keys but it doesn't affect the play-heads direction.

With creative programming it is possible to run one arp forward, one backwards and one 'pingpong' by setting up three zones with alternate 'key no'...

I still hope Virsyn one day adds an 'automation' sequencer so we can alter things like filter cutoff, morph a-b etc. using the arp/sequencer.

• OK, maybe everyone has seen this, but this is the devoted arp video.Pretty damn cool:

• Saturday-buy Minilogue, adore it

Monday-gotta buy this new Virsyn

• Am I right that you can't have completely separate sounds on each channel, just variations of the one sound?

• @PhilW said:
    Am I right that you can't have completely separate sounds on each channel, just variations of the one sound?

It's 'variations' of the main sound with well chosen parameters.

The arp is quite flexible as it's possible to use different sections of the 32 steps for each of the playheads.
    There is currently no 'direction'(forward, reverse & ping-pong) setting. It's 'forward loop' only...

• Mmmmmyyyyeah... The arp feels a bit too much like Fugue Machine to not call it a rip off, but in the end I guess that's between the two parties involved, and I don't think it will interfere with the success of Fugue Machine anyways. I mean, it doesn't have MIDI out, so they are sort of two different beasts.

As for the total package, definitely worth your while: An unusual synth engine, rounded out with some nice effects, and yes the Fugue Machine style arp does add a lot.

I did notice a small bug @VirSyn, when using a scale for the keyboard the octave selector was off by one (selected 2nd and 3rd octave on the mini keyoard, but octaves 3 and 4 were shown on the main keyboard).

• Maybe they will update ARPEGGIST (spelling?) with this new 4 tier Fugue system of ARPING?

• Ive been playing with this for a while now and really like it. Im used to subtractive but this isnt so different. The layout is very clear and the ARP is pretty neet. I was expecting different patches for each of the tracks but actually you can get a lot of variety from the one patch with all the options under each track and even switch between two waves a and b. Its my first VirSyn and Im impressed.
    I have one thing that is annoying me, I can seem to get it to Midi sync (with modstep). I cant find anywhere in Addictive Pro that mentions Midi Sync apart from the App Store description, 'Midi Sync. start/stop arp'! Any VirSyn pros outthere who can show this blind fool how to sync this beauty? Also request to VirSyn for Link plz

• Nice synth, but is it just me or doesn't key hold work when the arp is on? Mind you, i am on an old ipad 4.

• @VincentT said:
    Nice synth, but is it just me or doesn't key hold work when the arp is on? Mind you, i am on an old ipad 4.

There's a hold note option in the arp section, the one in the main keyboard is for non-arp notes (fooled me for a while too)

• Found it! Thanks Monzo!