Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Addictive Pro - New from VirSyn

Comments

• @MonzoPro said:

I had a decent track in the making.

Alert Depeche Mode, they need your help. :)

• Don't know if it's because I have not used addictive in a little while but the overall sound seems a bit more 'polished' to me - might just be I have better cans / monitors now. Really liking this. Def 'Addictive' - if you like the original this is a no brainer to get.

• @Lurcher said:
    Don't know if it's because I have not used addictive in a little while but the overall sound seems a bit more 'polished' to me - might just be I have better cans / monitors now. Really liking this. Def 'Addictive' - if you like the original this is a no brainer to get.

I was thinking something similar. I wonder if it has to do with the differences in fx engines used?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Lurcher said:
    Don't know if it's because I have not used addictive in a little while but the overall sound seems a bit more 'polished' to me - might just be I have better cans / monitors now. Really liking this. Def 'Addictive' - if you like the original this is a no brainer to get.

I was thinking something similar. I wonder if it has to do with the differences in fx engines used?

It's a lot smoother and fuller to my ears. Addictive can be a bit sharp and tinny, definitely more juice in the new one.

• Thank you guys for the info re your UK purchases, will have to check on iTunes on the PC to see what's happened. I'm wondering if iTunes didn't update the previous purchases and it was coincidental but I always check my balance before and after a purchase (I have to be cautious with the amount of apps that I buy!) still doesn't explain the double download.

Loving the app by the way ... thanks everyone

• edited September 2016

Hmmm. Still waiting for the Doug report on this one. Not that I doubt the quality of the product, indeed, I already have half a dozen VirSyn apps. It's more a case of how much I'd use this, and if it does stuff that what I already have can't do. With AB 3 and Cubasis 2 on the horizon, plus a few others, I'm getting more cautious before I jump right in an add another app that I end up not doing much with. Having said that, if Doug shows me something that sparks an idea....

• @Nkersov said:
    Hmmm. Still waiting for the Doug report on this one. Not that I doubt the quality of the product, indeed, I already have half a dozen VirSyn apps. It's more a case of how much I'd use this, and if it does stuff that what I already have can't do. With AB 3 and Cubasis 2 on the horizon, plus a few others, I'm getting more cautious before I jump right in an add another app that I end up not doing much with. Having said that, if Doug shows me something that sparks an idea....

Just finished it, it'll be live shortly

• I'll definitely be looking out for that one.

• edited September 2016

@Nkersov said:

@MonzoPro said:

I had a decent track in the making.

Alert Depeche Mode, they need your help. :)

Bugger them - they had my help in the late 70's when we passed on one of our gigs to them! I'm thinking more of a System7/Cluster vibe.

@Nkersov said:
    Hmmm. Still waiting for the Doug report on this one. Not that I doubt the quality of the product, indeed, I already have half a dozen VirSyn apps. It's more a case of how much I'd use this, and if it does stuff that what I already have can't do.

There are some familiar features - the wave drawing is reminiscent of Addictive and other controls lifted from the Poseidon UI, but unless my ears aren't working properly it does have a bigger sound than those.

The payback for me is: is it going to be used in a track? And the answer is a definite yes - the arp feature really does provide some very usable sequences, which as Johnny G said can be imported into other apps for further tweaking.

I'm not sure hearing a run through of the presets will be enough to show what it can do - for me the power is in its tweakability - I was creating new presets based on either random or preset patches within minutes, and already have some good ones saved. Once you start mucking about with the synth there's an incredible depth of possibilities in there.

• Even though Addictive Synth and Addictive Pro are quite similar in the synthesis architecture I find that the GUI is cleaner in Addictive Pro making it a joy to tweak and the 'drawing area' is bigger too :)

I do like the effects in all the Virsyn apps and just about the only addition I would like to add is to be able to change the order of the effects (so the chorus could come before the delay, not after as an example).

And honestly...
    I would love to have a clean FX-Only app from @virsyn as an AU-X plug-in with modulate-able parameters using LFO's Pitch and Amplitude-trackers, step-sequencers etc :)

• Hers me demo...nuff said

• Nothing Ive seen yet has really helped get my head around its sound architecture (I don't have it yet). Are there any videos that show that or is the manual available?

• edited September 2016

@MonzoPro said:

I'm not sure hearing a run through of the presets will be enough to show what it can do - for me the power is in its tweakability.

Okay, thanks for that. Off to listen to Sir Doug's review.

EDIT

Just played the demo, and while the sounds are great, I'm still none the wiser as to whether I would use this enough. I think I'll seek out some more demos showing the tweakability you mentioned, @MonzoPro. I got some idea from Doug's demo, but as @PhilW said, I'm still trying to get my heard around the app itself.

• So they just copied Fugue Machine? How lame.

• edited September 2016

@Nkersov said:

@MonzoPro said:

I'm not sure hearing a run through of the presets will be enough to show what it can do - for me the power is in its tweakability.

Okay, thanks for that. Off to listen to Sir Doug's review.

EDIT

Just played the demo, and while the sounds are great, I'm still none the wiser as to whether I would use this enough. I think I'll seek out some more demos showing the tweakability you mentioned, @MonzoPro. I got some idea from Doug's demo, but as @PhilW said, I'm still trying to get my heard around the app itself.

I find it much easier to tweak the synth than their other apps, and the randomiser options bring up a lot of very unique, useable sounds.

I know what you're saying though - I wasn't sure I needed another synth, and in particular another Virsyn one (though I do love their apps), so after seeing the demos I'd been trying to recreate what this one does with Fugue and their other apps. While this approach gets close, Addictive Pro allows you to do everything in one app, with the bonus of tweaking the sound for each of the four app tracks. When you combine that functionality with the powerful synth engine, you can get a hell of a lot of funky shit happening.

If you're a straight synth player then maybe you don't need it, but if you like crazy arp sequences then this is the feller to get. You can have a whole thing going with the arp in this - bass notes, melody/lead lines and even a bit of noise for a percussive accent. And of course everything can be modulated to Cribbins, and you can muck about with the big pads for further joy.

I love it, but I love arps.

• There is always that one idiot it seems.

• @PhilW said:
    Nothing Ive seen yet has really helped get my head around its sound architecture (I don't have it yet). Are there any videos that show that or is the manual available?

Ok here's my rough and maybe slightly off take:

You have varies OSC configurations from single to six, FM configs, or Ringmod configs.
    These use two waveforms a and b (which are shown as harmonic mappings), five preset or draw your own. Harmonics can be chosen in different ways.

You have two spectrum filters a and b, that correspond to the a and b waves. There are essentially one corresponding to each OSC and are split into modulation of odd and even sets.

Modulation further gives you blend between a and b sets, a multimode filter, noise mod options, pitch and level etc.

Comprehensive ARP and FX sections round out the basics.

Easy to use X-Y pads for the main page and selective random functions.

Once getting used to the layout, it's easy to use certain functions to mold or tweak sounds into new creations. Even just changing the OSC configuration or the Harmonic set used can change move your sounds into new areas to explore.

Hope this helps. I know it's not technically spot on, but enough for most people to get going creating new sounds.

• Where is the BPM control again? What page?

I keep forgetting.

Kind of cool to have a built in FUGUE type machine action.

I always loved Addictive synth. Problem is the MAJOR reason I liked the old one was the 4 track recorder.

Bummed that is not here.

Otherwise, the sounds are so good it sounds like samples on some of them. Almost TOO PERFECT! LOL

• @1P18 said:
    So they just copied Fugue Machine? How lame.

Couldn't that be said for any arpeggio or step sequencer?

If it frees up Fugue to use in combination with this app the more the merrier.

There is alot more than a ARP x 4 in this app though, no?

• @MonzoPro said:

Addictive Pro allows you to do everything in one app, with the bonus of tweaking the sound for each of the four app tracks. When you combine that functionality with the powerful synth engine, you can get a hell of a lot of funky shit happening.

Okay, that is what I wanted to know. You've convinced me that this would be a great addition. Thanks for the detail. :)

• edited September 2016

@Tritonman said:
    There is always that one idiot it seems.

>

Have I got the wrong end of the stick, or are you calling me an idiot for seeking more info?

• @1P18 said:

I think I understand where you coming from but I personally wish once a brilliant idea is born, developers wouldn't hesitate to adopt it.

I feel like this often about individual features, for example I wish Reason would adopt many of Ableton's features because those features and how Ableton does them just make more sense and I wonder if Propellerheads and developers in general don't want to adopt other softwares features just so they don't look like they're copying.

• It's always illuminating to hear people rave about the sounds of something. I listen to that demo, and I'm left completely cold by the presets. (why would anybody want to sound like an Alan Parsons knockoff? But I joke.)
    The XY pads look very handy, though, and a neat innovation. This doesn't have midi out, correct? How big a production would it be to employ those modulation pads, say, Modstep? Is it a simple procedure to use modstep's built-in XY pads?

• @RustiK said:

@1P18 said:

Fugue Machine was a unique design. Maybe I'm not seeing it right though, and perhaps it's not a straight rip off.

@firejan82 said:

@1P18 said:

I think I understand where you coming from but I personally wish once a brilliant idea is born, developers wouldn't hesitate to adopt it.

I feel like this often about individual features, for example I wish Reason would adopt many of Ableton's features because those features and how Ableton does them just make more sense and I wonder if Propellerheads and developers in general don't want to adopt other softwares features just so they don't look like they're copying.

I don't know, this just seems different. If it has a variation to it, something that makes it not an exact copy, something that shows some thought or consideration then at least you're not just stealing it.

Again, upon looking at it more, maybe they did add their own twist to it. Looks like maybe they did?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    It's always illuminating to hear people rave about the sounds of something. I listen to that demo, and I'm left completely cold by the presets. (why would anybody want to sound like an Alan Parsons knockoff? But I joke.)
    The XY pads look very handy, though, and a neat innovation. This doesn't have midi out, correct? How big a production would it be to employ those modulation pads, say, Modstep? Is it a simple procedure to use modstep's built-in XY pads?

I often find some presets leave me cold as well. I've found though, that most of the presets are a few tweaks away from usable sounds. After all, most synth presets are often made for immediacy of impact and not for usability within a track.

The one thing I will say about the new layout, it makes me personally feel more in control of the design process when making Addictive sounds. That is always a good thing.

• @1P18 said:

@RustiK said:

@1P18 said:

Fugue Machine was a unique design. Maybe I'm not seeing it right though, and perhaps it's not a straight rip off.

@firejan82 said:

@1P18 said:

I don't know, this just seems different. If it has a variation to it, something that makes it not an exact copy, something that shows some thought or consideration then at least you're not just stealing it.

Again, upon looking at it more, maybe they did add their own twist to it. Looks like maybe they did?

yes, they did. it is different. it is not fugue machine.

• edited September 2016

@1P18 said:

@RustiK said:

@1P18 said:

@firejan82 said:

@1P18 said:

Fugue Machine took an existing popular sequencer model, and added a unique multi play head twist to it. Addictive pro have added their own twist and applied the multi play idea to a synth, with another twist that adds tweak ability to each channel.

If an app takes an idea and uses it in a creative way, I see it as evolution rather than copying.

I'm enjoying the built-in AP arp, but I'll still use FM for driving other synth apps. They're both wicked apps.

• @1P18 said:

Yes, seems like there's a bunch of cool stuff that you can do here that you can not in Fugue Machine and vice versa.

• Good to know it's a variation. Here's why you don't copy Fugue Machine, for people trippin', from the official website:

"FUGUE MACHINE is a tool inspired by composition techniques used in Baroque music and Serialism — e.g. Bach’s canons and fugues, and Schoenberg’s twelve-tone technique. The idea was to design a tool to manipulate a melody’s speed, direction, and pitch, as well as play multiple variations of the melody simultaneously."

• @1P18 said:
    Good to know it's a variation. Here's why you don't copy Fugue Machine, for people trippin', from the official website:

"FUGUE MACHINE is a tool inspired by composition techniques used in Baroque music and Serialism — e.g. Bach’s canons and fugues, and Schoenberg’s twelve-tone technique. The idea was to design a tool to manipulate a melody’s speed, direction, and pitch, as well as play multiple variations of the melody simultaneously."

yes, this one has four playheads just like fugue machine, but much of the fugue typical characteristics are missing, like invert melody or reverse direction. instead, you can take a section of the arp for esch part individually and thus do poly rhythmic stuff. so it is really different while obviously having similarities.